The 13TH Hall of Fame

Tools    

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Cool. I look forward to your writes up for MBTS and CF.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
My first unofficial contribution -

Captain Fantastic
(2016, d. Matt Ross)

-

The main crux of this film is the rights and responsibilities of a parent. Exactly what decisions are you allowed to make for your child and who decides where that line is? I think we know what people are 'meant' to provide for their kids; a home, food, an eduation, a loving environment etc. But how about what a parent is 'allowed' to do in regards to their kids? That's a somewhat murkier area. I think most people would agree with the right to, and expect a parent to introduce their own beliefs to their kids in terms of politics and religion. But at what point do you cross the line into indoctrination? That's a question I imagine most viewers will ask upon spending time in the company of the unconventional family at its heart.

As the patriarch of this unique family is Viggo Mortensen and he unsurprisingly delivers a strong performance. Many of his most acclaimed performances (Lord of the Rings, History of Violence, Eastern Promises, The Road etc) have seen him display a great deal of intensity so it comes as not great shock that he brings a great conviction to his character's beliefs. Mortensen has always presented himself as a bit of an offbeat bohemian amongst his acting colleagues, not exactly fitting in with the Hollywood template. As a result he feels like a perfect fit for the character of Ben Cash. Also quite impressive I thought were the young cast that portrayed Mortensen's troop of kids. It's never easy working with kids, especially this many, but Matt Ross does a really nice job at drawing out performances from them.

I found that one of the most interesting facets of the film was the shifting emotions I felt towards the story and the characters. While Ben's ways are certainly different from the norm (I wouldn't foresee a childcare book authored by him becoming a best seller) there are things to admire about how he has raised his kids. In America today, one in three kids are overweight or obese. That's certainly not an issue for Ben's kids who are all in fine physical shape. Additionally, it's estimated that 19 percent of high-school graduates are illiterate. By comparison Ben's kids, even down the very youngest, are all exceptionally well-read and learned. And they certainly know more skills than your average child or teenager. So for the opening act of the film I found myself largely on side with Ben's parenting, however unconventional it may be. The longer the film goes however the less I felt this. We see just how extreme his methods are and also the damage he has done to his kids. They may be able to quote the Constitution and survive in the wilderness but they have no social skills whatsoever. Watching Ben's eldest, Bodevan, attempt to interact with members of the fairer sex is so uncomfortable to watch that it's painful. He has prepared his kids for everything except the real world. By the time they've crashed the funeral I instead found Ben to be an arrogant, obstinate ass who attempts to inflict his viewpoints on everyone around him.

Similarily I found my opinion of Frank Langella's grandfather character changing over time. Langella, in a very authoritative performance, initially comes across as a real d!ck; a bully who would deny his own son-in-law and grandchildren the chance to say goodbye to their beloved wife and mother. However the longer the film goes, and the more we see just how ridiculous Ben's actions are, the more you begin to understand and sympathise with his position.

I felt that the first half was certainly the strongest period of the film. The scenes that depict the off-the-grid existence of the kids; hunting, rock climbing, being pitted against each other in combat etc are lively and feel very authentic. And their initial interactions with the outside world work well. As the film moves into its second hour though I felt it began to lose its way somewhat; it just seemed to become a bit silly and over-the-top. All of a sudden it seemed to be throwing comedic set-pieces at us that just didn't sit comfortably with the rest of the film and I found its credibility began to seep away. I especially disliked the family's contrived arrival and disruption of the funeral. While the happy, sentimental conclusion didn't feel entirely earned to me. In fact I'd say that in the end I felt that the film actually goes fairly soft on Ben. Looking online I see that Matt Ross based the movie on some of his own childhood experiences as part of an 'alternative-living community' and perhaps that has led to a biased view. Now I'm very much of the left-wing persuasion so I'm on board with some of the stuff that Ben teaches his kids. However he goes way overboard in many respects, such as teaching his kids how to steal or that it's alright to mock Christians. The film seems to allow Ben off as just being loveably eccentric rather than harshly judging him.

For all of its family drama I actually found Captain Fantastic to have quite a tranquil sensation to it, largely down to some lovely photography of America's backroads and rural scenery, as well as its unique, somewhat beguiling soundtrack. While I'm not sure if I'd ever feel the urge to revisit it, all in all I'd describe this as an interesting film, even if Ben would deride me for using such an illegal non-word. It presents an alternative worldview, is very strongly acted and features the occasional moment of real beauty.

Beautiful review Jaydee.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Dead Poets Society

I saw it first time back in 90s and I wonder why I’ve never revisited this feature again. Well, I guess because something just wasn’t fitting in the story. I mean it all started very good. New school year begins and there he is Mr Keating, cool new English teacher with his unconventional methods who teaches his students to think for themselves, to think freely. And they are indeed inspired starting Dead Poets Society, searching their true feelings, searching their true talents, becoming more opened, breaking down that shell of conventionality. Up until now everything was great but then all those unreal twists arrived.

WARNING: "Spoilers" spoilers below
Like Neil’s father getting all upset about Neil taking part in a play even though he’s got straight A’s. for me this was unreal. All that sternness of his father. It was overdone. Subsequently Neil’s suicide was also unreal for how the movie’s mood was set. Also Richard suddenly ratting out Mr Keating. I mean it was real, he just wanted to save his skin however he was overly convinced about Keating being responsible for Neil's suicide. It was unreal to me. It was like a coat with so many holes and someone would sew all kinds of colourful patches that don’t fit any more. Even that scene Mr Nolan striking, I think Knox, with that cricket bat was unreal to me. I thought he would yell at him or put him to suspension or similar. It just didn’t fit there.

But hey, if the movie didn’t work for me it doesn’t mean it is a bad movie. If only one person from hundred was inspired and it’s changed their life then it works and the movie has its purpose.

WARNING: "SPOILERS about "Dead Poets Society"!!!" spoilers below
In reference to Neil's father getting upset about Neil being in the play, if you think back to the beginning of the movie, there's a scene with Neil and his father in Neil's room where his father tells him that he's taking on too many extracurricular activities, and he tells Neil to drop the School Annual, and Neil replies that he's the assistant editor this year. Neil's father immediately brings Neil out to the hallway and tells him never to talk back to him in front of people again.

That scene is basically an early setup for the later scene. It shows that his father basically controls his life, without any regard for what Neil wants. That's why Neil has to lie and forge the letter from his father to act in the play. It has nothing to do with Neil's grades. It's all about control. Neil's father wants him to be a doctor, whether he likes it or not. That's why he commits suicide. He doesn't want to go through 10 more years of school to live a life that he doesn't want. He tries to talk to his father about it, but his father doesn't want to hear anything about him acting, so he doesn't see any other way out. (Ironically, Robert Sean Leonard, who played Neil, later went on to play a doctor on the TV show "House M.D.".)

It's like that for all the boys. None of them stand up to their fathers. That's why the parents are brought in when they're told to sign the document against Mr. Keating.

About Cameron (Richard) ratting our Mr. Keating, Cameron was the guy who nobody really liked. He was only in their group because he was Charlie's roommate. It makes sense that he would be the guy to rat out Mr. Keating.

BTW, it was Charlie Dalton who was being punished. It was after the "phone call from God" stunt he pulled after writing about the Dead Poets Society in the school paper.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Dead Poet's Society

After somewhat liking it the first time I saw it, I really must admit, it didn't work for me this time. I found the film to be very preachy and aggressive in pointing out its message, which I'm not even sure was suppose to be. It also didn't help, that plenty of scenes were overly cheesy and sentimental. I liked Robin Williams in it, altough I don't think this was his best role. Only other performance that really stood out to me, was by then 19-year old Ethan Hawke, who was great as an introverted young man, who just became to come out of his shell. Sure he had his moments of overracting, like majority of the cast, but I still quite liked him. I must say that I liked the first part of the film much better than the second. By the end the film turns into a heavy melodrama, sort of a completely opposite tone, of the one established in the first part. And there were some fragments in the plot, I felt were used just to achieve dramatic effect.

WARNING: "spoiler" spoilers below

I didn't like how Neil's dad was made as such one-dimensional character. I think they could have added a whole more depth to him, instead of painting him as a classic
authoritarian, with no regard for his son's wishes. Also I might be criticized for it, but I thought the film tried really hard to show us Mr. Keating as a saint, where in reality his methods weren't really that correct and moral. I mean he directly encouraged a group of pliable 15-year olds to actively fight against the authority and live some kind of Dionysian lifestyles. I'm not saying that his heart wasn't in right place, by wanting to teach his students to think independtly and live life to the fullest. But his methods could've been a lot subtler in my opinion.

There was a particular scene I very much liked ,at the end of the film. When a fellow professor
wawed at Mr.Keating, symbolizing how much he influenced him. I also thought the cinematography was pretty good, especially the shots in the cave and the snowy setting.
Sadly Dead Poet's Society didn't resonate with me this time, but at least I enjoyed Williams and Hawke performance.

WARNING: "SPOILERS for "Dead Poets Society"!!!" spoilers below
Mr. Keating wasn't encouraging them to live recklessly. He was trying to get them to learn how to think for themselves. The problem was that the school and their parents were teaching them the opposite, that they should do what they're told to do. His methods of doing this were perfect. He was the English teacher, and he was using poetry from the greatest poets to teach them. They were learning, and they were happier, until tragedy struck.

Buffalo '66 (Vincent Gallo, 1998)
Imdb

Date Watched: 04/16/17
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: 13th HOF, Camo's Nomination
Rewatch: No.

This film was a very different experience than what I'm accustomed to. I disliked pretty much everyone on the screen and most of the behavior of its characters felt unnatural and tough to buy. And yet, I found it all somehow fascinating.

In spite - or perhaps because - of the bizarre behavior, the performances were universally strong. Writer, director, star Vincent Gallo was particularly good as Billy, the film's greasy, crude and unlikable protagonist (though after a little research on the man, I have to wonder how much of this performance was an act). Christina Ricci brings a tenderness and patience to her role as "Layla" that feels very much out of place in the contrast to other characters.

On the more technical aspects, if there was a soundtrack I can't recall it. What I did very much notice though was the look of the film. The dark and gritty cinematography really enhanced the film's seedy atmosphere. I also thought that the transitions to flashbacks were handled in a very interesting way.

But this praise is something that I come by in hindsight. I mostly felt a vague sense of disgust and a sort of morbid curiosity when I was watching it. Ultimately this is a film that I like more on reflection than I did during the actual viewing. I suspect it would benefit from a rewatch at some point, but I doubt that will actually happen.

+

I think it would be a good idea for me to explain why I absolutely loved Captain Fantastic, I wrote a very long review in french after watching it, I'll try to say shortly what it said. Actually it was more of an essay than a review, this film worked more to me as a philosophical exploration then as a movie. I mean I think it's a good film, but it's not that ''cinematic'', it's the ideas it has that made me absolutely love it.

Basically, what I loved about it is that I agreed with the lifestyle of Viggo Mortensen's character and that the way the director presented it seemed realistic, beautiful. I study philosophy and I think a good life is, as Socrates said, an examined one, a life of the mind, but also a life where you train your body. The way Viggo in the film raises his children seems to be the way children are raised in Plato's Republic (not exactly obviously, but in spirit I think it embodies it quite perfectly.). How is that? The argument I'd give is that humans have capacities which can be exploited or not, if you have X lifestyle, you'll have Y capacities, if you have W lifestyle you'll have Z capacities, etc. (The point I want to make is that the way you live life has precise consequences on the way you are.). And the way Viggo raised his children seemed to be a rationalisation as to the best way to live to have more capacities maximised. There might be some problems, namely the fact that his children are socially awkward, etc. But I think it can be easilly fixed, it is possible for them to have this education while having some sort of social encounters with others. And ultimately why I find it great is that when you have developed all these capacities by the way you've acquired habits the way you think is changed and that I think that if most people would be raised that way, ideas in the world would be better, rationality might evolve.

Also, and that is in reference to Plato, there is a distinction between what is universally true and what is contingently true, I think that sociability is contingently true because it depends on particular time in history which have particular way to live, particular habits, etc. Reason, argumentation, maximising the body's potential are more in the realm of universal truth, that movie made me think that and when a movie gives me such profound reflexion, it deserves the high praise of being one of my favorite film.

Legend in my own mind

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter and Spring

Before watching this film, I had no idea what it was about. The only thing that I had heard was when reading on here that there was some dialogue about the director and his tendency to use animal cruelty in his work.

The film starts with a Buddhist monk and his young apprentice. It shows the relationship between the two.
Everything seems to be going well and then...Cupid strikes.
The film goes on to document the lives of the Monk and the apprentice through the various seasons over the years.

What did I like?
Some of the cinematography was really good, with some beautiful scenic shots of what I believe to be South Korea.
I liked the set of the film. I would like to visit and maybe have a week in the tranquillity of the house. So quiet and peaceful.
There was a good use of symbolism throughout the film. There may well have been more than I noticed, but I did notice the 'Four noble truths' woven in there, and also Samsara (Birth, Life, Death and Rebirth) that were represented by the seasons and also by different animals for each season.
My recognising of the symbolism helped me to understand the film more than I would have otherwise.

What didn't I like so much?
Overall, I just found the film boring. Everything was so slow, and with such dreary music. It felt like I was watching in real time and the years were actually passing as I watched.
I understand that it was meant to be that way but I just became more and more frustrated with it.
Apart from the Monk (Yeong-su Oh) who was great, I thought the acting was weak. The kids were unconvincing and as for the detectives
Again, apart from the Old Monk, I didn't really find myself liking or caring about any of the characters.

Summary
I think that I can understand why some people really appreciate this film and why it is highly rated by many.
As I said however, I found myself looking at the clock, and just wanting the film to finish.
This may be more to do with me than the film, but it is never a good thing to be bored when watching a film.
It wasn't awful, there were some good elements about the film, and plenty to be appreciated.
I look forward to reading what others make of this film.

Manchester by the Sea
(2016)

Dir. Kenneth Lonergan
Starring: Casey Affleck, Lucas Hedges, Michelle Williams

In late February, Manchester by the Sea was still playing here in a small theatre outside town so my room mate and I decided to go see it. We were the only ones in the theatre, so it was just like watching it at home. I had previously heard people describe this film as depressing, but I didn't find that at all. Yes, it had a sort of sombre tone, but there are a lot of comedic moments, many of which caused audible laughter from myself and my room mate. The banter between Lee and Patrick was particularly amusing. There were definitely a few scenes that were more melancholic or borderline heartbreaking, but as a whole the film didn't come across as overly sad, and I didn't leave the theatre feeling dejected or anything similar to that.

While I didn't experience a personal tragedy in my home town, not wanting to return to a smaller community that still talks about things that happens years ago is something that I found very relatable. Lee's character as a whole was very sympathetic, even when drunkenly getting into brawls. I think his story was handled very well, since you can see a clear distinction between how Lee behaves in the flashbacks compared to how he acts now, which clues the audience into the fact that something devastating must have happened long before the whole truth is revealed in the film. Casey Affleck really sold the character for me, and the whole cast was phenomenal as well.

I enjoyed Manchester by the Sea well enough, but it's not a film I feel like I ever need to see again. Perhaps that's because it feels less like a movie, and more like an experience in this other person's life. It all feels very real and authentic, and I appreciate how the film doesn't go for a neat ending that ties everything up nicely. The uncertain and bittersweet ending fits the film very well in my opinion. I was surprised to see such a recent film nominated, but it definitely feels at home in a Hall of Fame.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Manchester.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	182.8 KB
ID:	29907  

Sorry if that review doesn't flow very well. I'm actually very ill and had to leave work an hour early this morning. There's a tough strain of H1N2 going around, and it seems like I have it.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Just letting everyone know I probably won't get to another film until next week, as I'm going to Las Vegas Friday and I am pretty busy up until then.

Sorry if that review doesn't flow very well. I'm actually very ill and had to leave work an hour early this morning. There's a tough strain of H1N2 going around, and it seems like I have it.
That's a great review, Cos, as usual.
Hope you get better soon. Sending some cyber chicken soup for you.

Thanks Dani!

Enjoy Vegas, Raul! Try not to lose too much money.
What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, except for Mofos. We need a write up when you get back, Raul.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
Interesting tidbit. I noticed the surname on the cast last, but haven't realized she was related to Charlie.
If you've ever seen the film Chaplin, Geraldine portrays his mother (her grandmother, of course).

The Marriage of Maria Braun - Why, cricket, why??? This is the one that I cannot obtain. The only one, in fact. You just had to be the troublemaker for me two times in a row now. .
Vamp you're not the only one who can't find that movie. @cricket @Camo @anyone! I need a link to The Marriage of Maria Braun with English subs. I looked everywhere, my library doesn't have it, Netflix DVD doesn't have it. I checked all of the usual good places to find it. And I can't. The only thing I found was the German language version with no subs.

Anyone have a link? PM me, you might PM Vamp too.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
Anyone have a link? PM me, you might PM Vamp too.
Thanks for trying to help me out, but I am good. I don't need one sent to me.

The Quiet Earth (Geoffrey Murphy, 1985)
Imdb

Date Watched: 04/17/17
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: 13th HOF, Clazor's Nomination
Rewatch: No.

You'll have to forgive this rambling write-up, but I really don't have a whole lot to say about this one. Everything about The Quiet Earth just felt very average. The film's concept was interesting, but not especially original. The film looked good but, save for maybe two or three scenes, was not particularly impressive or memorable. (Actually really the only scenes that stood out to me at all were Zac's speech from the balcony, his behavior in the church, and the Inception-esque scene in the gif above.) The performances were good, but mostly unremarkable. I felt a very weak sort of involvement with the characters - I kind of cared what happened to them, but probably wouldn't have shed a tear if one or two had died along the way. I never felt bored with it - probably largely thanks to the film's relative brevity - but I also wasn't invested enough to bother giving much thought to the rather ambiguous ending.

Ultimately this was not a bad way to spend 90 minutes, but not a great way either.

+

Legend in my own mind

The quiet earth (1985)

Another on the list that I knew nothing about. As with the others I kept it that way before viewing.
As the film started, I didn't know what to expect but was drawn in by the score and the opening scene of the sun rising...

The films starts with a man called Zac Hobson waking up to find the place eerily quiet and things become more and more strange as there seems to be no people anywhere.
The film follows Zac as he searches for answers, whilst facing challenges to his own mental well-being, from his forced solitude and the lack of answers.

What I liked
It is a great idea for a film, I love the way that I was immediately led to placing myself in that situation. What would I do? Where would I look for answers? How would I cope mentally?
The opening scenes were really good. From the sunrise scene as the film started with some music that really created an anticipation. The film did well at setting the scene and showing the uncertainty and eeriness of what was going all around Zac.
It showed how such an event may have an effect on the characters mentality.

What could be better
Some of the acting was so bad that it was comical.
Bruno Lawrence was largely good as Zac, but there was some really bad acting elsewhere in the film.
The dynamic between the characters was at times weird and confusing. I will refrain from giving specific details as I don't want to influence the opinions of others.
I said that I liked that the film addressed the effect of the events on the characters mental well being, but I thought that the way this played out in this film was a bit strange.

Summary
The film started well, and I was intrigued. It set the scene really well, and I was convinced by the world that was created on the screen.
After such a strong start, it just faded away as the film went on. I felt that it just lacked direction and descended into obscurity.
It didn't really answer the questions that I wanted it to in a comprehensive enough way.
Ultimately I think that it was a great idea for a film that largely failed to deliver after showing early promise.