The 13TH Hall of Fame

Tools    

I must ask you, what did you think about the final scene? To me it was perhaps the most poignant and intruguing scene in the entire film. While at the same time really ambiguous.
I felt much the same way you did.

WARNING: "The Hunt (2012) Ending" spoilers below
It's definitely left open to interpretation. After how things escalated in the supermarket earlier in the film, it's completely plausible to believe that someone would try to shoot him. I actually thought from the very start of the film that this would end with Lucas shot dead while hunting, so I was glad to see the ending didn't quite go that far.

It's also possible that Lucas heard a gunshot and assumed it was someone trying to kill him, because it's obvious in the preceding scenes that while things are sort of back to normal in the community (at least on the surface), he clearly doesn't feel at home the way he did before. He's quieter, more reserved, and is watching the others closely. The figure did look like a younger man to me as well, but like you said I don't think it's meant to be Torsten or any villager in particular.

I think that whether the attempted murder was real or imagined is sort of irrelevant, because what matters is how Lucas feels, and the reality is that that mistrust will follow him everywhere now.

Nightmare Alley

This was great. I've always (with the exception of Never Let Me Go) enjoyed your noms Citizen but i haven't found anything that could become a favourite until now. First of all Tyrone Power: dude has the best name of all time and yet i'm not really familiar with him, i've seen Witness For The Prosecution but that's it from him i think. Thought he was really good in this. I really liked his character, how he was so arrogant and money driven, always scheming, some of it was a little silly like him only getting enthusiastic about his marriage when he remembers that she knows the code but it worked. Oddly i felt like him during the film, well not like him he was paranoid i wasn't obviously but i did feel like people were scheming against him from pretty much the first minute. That's obviously due to this being a Noir which often has twists and it being a film about magic or "tricks". How it all works out is great, i kind of saw it coming but it was still pretty haunting how he completed the cycle, repeated what he had watched transpire. The others were good too but it was clearly his film, all of the others had their parts of the film with him but they drifted away at times too. The only person i didn't really like was Helen Walker; she sounded like K-Hep, really unnecessarily snappy at all times. Personally i love the way K-Hep talks but i've always understood people not liking her because of this and here it was a little jarring, probably only because it wasn't K-Hep. Think the only time that sort of thing has worked for me when it wasn't K-Hep is Rosalind Russell in His Girl Friday and that's because the film is all about snappy dialogue, a more "normal" film like this made it stand out. She was generally fine tho, i accept that this is a personal hang up and not a fault of hers. Good visuals and dialogue too.

Sorry for talking so much about what isn't that important of a scene but it may very well end up my favourite in the full hall of fame. Completely adored the cold reading scene with the Marshall, that's something i know quite a bit about so i was so into that. I completely understand what cold reading is, he was supposed to be prodding at random things then following up when he got a hit, it largely does go that way and can be very effective to the point that people understandably can't comprehend it being anything other than someone reading their mind/talking to spirits. It works so well because if done well it makes you forget about the misses that passed and of course on tv shows, youtube videos, etc it's edited to make it look like there were no misses which is why it looks alot different in an event the "psychic" doesn't control. Similar to how a great salesman will convince you that you're haggling with him when really he has a goal in mind from the start that he'll probably get. Stan had to make this up on the fly and he had to trick a guy who was fully expecting him to try and trick him which made it alot more difficult, so he used his goofy tricks to gauge him, figure out a few things about him and try a few things on him without letting him know that he was trying a few things on him. You see, this was done so absurdly well because Stan starts off by demonstrating that he's got quick hands; the ability to descretely take something from you basically, so when he turned his attention to the Marshalls pocketwatch (was it a pocketwatch? i don't even remember, whatever it's not important) his mind instantly went to him taking it from him, you see this when Stan points then moves towards the pocketwatch as if he's going to touch it and the Marshall quickly snaps back. This has all completely took the Marshalls mind off the questions Stan is asking him, there's a few subtle misses there; not really because he's not really asking him questions but he's gauging what direction is the best to go in and when he gets a hit he follows up on it. Brilliant. The best thing about it is as i said Stan starts off by demonstrating that he has quick hands, if Stan really had any intention of stealing something from the Marshall the Marshall would never have known about Stans quick hands, Stan needs him to know about this for it all to work because it makes the victim i'll call it because i really hate this sort of stuff think they're in control, it makes them think they have it all figured out. Sorry i'm kind of a dork about these sort of things so this scene was perfect for me, i know noone else will care nearly as much as me haha.

Thanks for nominating this Citizen, i hadn't heard of this so i doubt i would have watched it and it's now a strong contender for my 40's list. Forbidden Games next for me, either tonight or tomorrow.

I felt much the same way you did.

WARNING: "The Hunt (2012) Ending" spoilers below
It's definitely left open to interpretation. After how things escalated in the supermarket earlier in the film, it's completely plausible to believe that someone would try to shoot him. I actually thought from the very start of the film that this would end with Lucas shot dead while hunting, so I was glad to see the ending didn't quite go that far.

It's also possible that Lucas heard a gunshot and assumed it was someone trying to kill him, because it's obvious in the preceding scenes that while things are sort of back to normal in the community (at least on the surface), he clearly doesn't feel at home the way he did before. He's quieter, more reserved, and is watching the others closely. The figure did look like a younger man to me as well, but like you said I don't think it's meant to be Torsten or any villager in particular.

I think that whether the attempted murder was real or imagined is sort of irrelevant, because what matters is how Lucas feels, and the reality is that that mistrust will follow him everywhere now.
Thanks for the detailed answer !

WARNING: "spoiler" spoilers below
I remember the first time I saw Jagten, I was completely caught off guard by that scene. I had to replay the ending a couple of times, so I could fully grasp it.

I haven't seen many of the movies so haven't been commenting much...but I have seen my own nom
Nightmare Alley
...Stanton is played brilliantly by Tyrone Power, who was also excellent in Witness for the Prosecution. He is surely the acting highlight of the film.

But I really, really liked Coleen Gray (who apparently I've seen in other stuff but just didn't think too much of her).
I really liked Coleen too, this is probably one of her best films. This is her third Hof appearance. We've seen her in the Western Hof: Red River (1948) with John Wayne and Montgomery Clift, she had a small role and was John Wayne's girlfriend who got capture by the Indians at the start of the film.

And in the Film Noir Part 2: Kansas City Confidential (1952) with John Payne which was Vamp's nom. She was the love interest of the lead.

Nightmare Alley
First of all Tyrone Power: dude has the best name of all time and yet i'm not really familiar with him, i've seen Witness For The Prosecution but that's it from him i think.
Glad you guys are liking Tyrone Power in this. He's often overlooked when people talk about great actors of the 40s, as he mostly made matinee pictures. Another of his really strong films is John Ford's The Long Gray Line (1955).

Completely adored the cold reading scene with the Marshall, that's something i know quite a bit about so i was so into that. I completely understand what cold reading is, he was supposed to be prodding at random things then following up when he got a hit, it largely does go that way and can be very effective to the point that people understandably can't comprehend it being anything other than someone reading their mind/talking to spirits.
That's one of the best parts of the film, and a subject that really fascinates me. It's been a long while since I seen Nightmare Alley, so I'm looking forward to a much needed rewatch.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Just out of interest what are the specific rules for the HoF? Obviously I'm only flitting about in an unofficial capacity but was just curious. Do you need to watch all of the films after the nominations have been announced or can you leave rewatching a film if you've seen it previously? If so do you need to have seen it within a specific period of time, like within the last year?

WARNING: "spoiler" spoilers below

I didn't like how Neil's dad was made as such one-dimensional character. I think they could have added a whole more depth to him, instead of painting him as a classic
authoritarian, with no regard for his son's wishes. Also I might be criticized for it, but I thought the film tried really hard to show us Mr. Keating as a saint, where in reality his methods weren't really that correct and moral. I mean he directly encouraged a group of pliable 15-year olds to actively fight against the authority and live some kind of Dionysian lifestyles. I'm not saying that his heart wasn't in right place, by wanting to teach his students to think independtly and live life to the fullest. But his methods could've been a lot subtler in my opinion.

Very nice review Jeff!
WARNING: "dead poets society" spoilers below
Yeah, there was something bothering me about the tearing up the introduction page from the Poetry manual. First i waved it off as I know very well about the competitiveness between professors in one academic field. But demeaning a fellow professor in front of the whole class of teenagers was something that was bugging me. I think, here, Keating lost his judgment and overdid it.

You don't have to watch a film as long as you've seen it enough times or recently enough that you remember it well. There's not really a specific period of time, it's up to your own judgement.
I noticed you mention at one point that you don't have to provide a rating for a film but are you at least expected to say a little something about it to convey your opinion?

At the moment just wondering. As I said I'm going to partake in this one in an unofficial capacity and see how it goes. I have already made a start in terms of watching one of the films. Perhaps at some point in the future I'd attempt to join one properly. I think I already know the film I'd nominate if I did.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
@Camo Truly do appreciate the concern. You rock!
I am traversing the razor's edge in this regards.

In the last HoF reading up on Hiroshima would have truly helped my enjoyment of that movie. And you mention Joe, which is an excellent example of reading about a twist instead of watching it. So, in those 2 films lies my dilemma. Accidentally reading about a twist and not getting a little necessary research to "get what the movie is about".

So, here I dance amongst the minefield, listening for the clicks while exploring the field itself.
As you mentioned, having seen Buffalo when it first came out, I am safe to read reviews while still fading out when it gets very specific and since it's been so long - I haven't read any of the discussions about it for the exact concern you voice. (which is very cool of you to do so. And yeah, I know, I already made that abundantly clear already.)
I'm also skipping over Manchester entirely so that I don't stumble onto anything that would be better to discover for myself. Which I had done previously in the Rate The Latest Movie Thread.
There is also a couple of others I will be doing the same for the same reason.
Oh, and I DO skip Spoilers COMPLETELY and try to come back to them, along with the discussions after seeing the film.

With Cosmic's nom: Wings of Desire, like her 40's nom: Murders Are Among Us, a little knowledge really set me up for enjoyment. The deciphering having already been laid out. So, with prior experience of her wonderful noms, strolling into the minefield is a bigger payoff when I do view it (which should be later this week or next week since its waiting at my library for me)

There was one other review I read in search of that person's reaction to a movie I've had very high on my watchlist - won't mention it or what I was searching out, since it may be a kind of spoiler for others.

So, um, in closing. . . did I mention my appreciation for your concern, Camo?

I WILL try to be less Dr. Frankenstein in my experimentation of what I read, as it were, and thank you

you might have convinced me there Ed . I understand exactly what you saying however sometimes I'm a lazy viewer and I want movie to tell me the whole story. Perhaps it was not explicit enough and the shortcuts director took went too far cutting too many frames. But you told me once too use those imaginary deleted scenes. I'm probably gonna rewatch
WARNING: "possible" spoilers below
those dialogues between Neil and his father to exactly pinpoint the moment where Neil's father understands the acting is not just fun for him (Neil)
It's been a while since watching this so it is a bit foggy and I'd be guessing about your spoiler, so perhaps I may wait for my rewatch and review to add a spoiler response for ya.
And I agree about the lazy viewing; I do that myself sometimes lol
Yeah Ed that was a great post. Think i skipped over it to go to MVs review of Wings of Desire and forgot to go back. Glad Nesto quoted it.
THANKS

Very nice review Jeff!
WARNING: "dead poets society" spoilers below
Yeah, there was something bothering me about the tearing up the introduction page from the Poetry manual. First i waved it off as I know very well about the competitiveness between professors in one academic field. But demeaning a fellow professor in front of the whole class of teenagers was something that was bugging me. I think, here, Keating lost his judgment and overdid it.
I've never thought of that in that light along with Jeff's concern. . . very interesting aspect for when I rewatch it.

That's all cool, Ed. I'm just naturally paranoid and always think i'm ruining films for you haha.
right, right.
I gotta tell ya, your reviews are THE HARDEST NOT to read when I haven't seen something. There is great perception, insight and knowledge in your write ups intermixed with details so I can't browse and have to wait and come back later AFTER I see the film.
So there are both things that would be great to know and surprises I need to steer clear of.

I did it just now with Nightmare Alley. Had to keep telling myself: Scan down, Ed -- no, faster! No reading! NOOOO

I did see a quote about you remarking on Power in CR's response. Beside Witness, is there anything else by Power you've seen?
For me, his swashbuckling roles that he's known for are my favorites. Mark of Zorro is #1 for me.

I do the exact same thing. I ALMOST typed in Robin Hood and had to check IMDb to be sure. Seen a bunch of Flynn's and only a small handful of Power: Jesse James, Black Swan and Marie Antoinette

I didn't actually remember it was Coleen in Red River. She wasn't bad in that just a bit forgettable; or her character was at least, liked her here though. And yeah The Long Gray Line is a film i've been meaning to see, think it's Dave Kehr's second favourite Ford after The Sun Shines Bright. Might be thinking of someone else.
It often takes the right movie with a choice part for an actor/actress to shine. Yeah, in Red River Colleen didn't do anything but get killed!

@Camo Truly do appreciate the concern. You rock!
I am traversing the razor's edge in this regards.
A Tyrone Power nod, very cool...and a film I had seriously considered for this Hof. I considered a lot of them.

I've said this before but I never spoil plots in my review.

If I ever do mention an important plot element and or ending...
I will type this ***Spoiler***. So far I haven't wrote anything yet, so nothing to read of mine.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Good reviews of Jagten, Cos and Jeff. I rewatched this last night - very powerful movie, and the acting from the whole cast was excellent. Well deserved win for Mads. Gut wrenching film and makes me despise kangaroo courts even more than I already did. OMG Grethe was incompetent.

wow, forgot about Razor's Edge - did that one subconsciously lol

which is why I read your reviews when I haven't seen something, @Citizen Rules for the insight sans spoilers

Wow! see how post can sometimes be misinterpreted, at least by me I thought for sure that was a clever reference to The Razor's Edge. And...I never would have known it wasn't, unless I asked

I somewhere read that Power was most proud of his roles in Nightmare Alley and Witness for Prosecution. That alone makes me really excited for Citizen's nomination.

So far I've seen him in : Son of Fury: The Story of Benjamin Blake, The Razor's Edge and Witness for Prosecution.

The Great Dictator
(1940)

Dir. Charlie Chaplin
Starring: Charlie Chaplin, Paulette Goddard, Reginald Gardiner

The Great Dictator has long since been my favourite Chaplin film. Not only is it a great satire that is both funny and thought-provoking, but it was also an incredibly brave film considering the year in which it was released. Unsurprisingly given Chaplin's background in silent slapstick, the funniest moments don't rely on dialogue at all, and it's the spoken humour that tends to fall a bit flat for me. Sound and music are utilized particularly well throughout the film, with the recurring use of the prelude to Wagner's “Lohengrin” setting the mood for a number of scenes, and naturally the ever entertaining shaving scene set to the pace of Brahm's “Hungarian Dance No. 5” is brilliantly timed and performed.

Chaplin began his work on The Great Dictator before the true extent of Hitler's atrocities became known, allowing for a sillier depiction of Hitler than what Chaplin would have been comfortable with had the film's production been delayed. In retrospect, this parody may come across as brazen or crass, but I think that that kind of mockery is needed to undermine the authority that a brutish dictator commands, so I'm certainly glad we got the film we did. However the finished product was released well before the United States became involved in World World II, so it unfortunately didn't have the social impact it really deserved.

I appreciate that even though the film is a rather light-hearted take on a serious subject, it ends in a way that lets audiences know that it wasn't just joking around. Chaplin's final speech was something that needed to be said at the time, even if no one was listening, and is something that we can still find meaning in today.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dictator.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	225.1 KB
ID:	29895  

I only have half a shift tomorrow morning, so I'll probably have the chance to post a write-up for Manchester by the Sea sometime tomorrow afternoon or evening. After that I think I'd like to watch Captain Fantastic next, since I haven't seen Viggo Mortensen in anything in awhile.

Since a number of people have already written about Buffalo '66, I feel like I should watch that one soon as well so I don't feel so left out.