Musical Artist Movie Hall of Fame

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I don't really know what to say to that. I have watched it, but have not obviously written anything yet. So that is definitely two people who have seen it. I do understand CR's feelings towards having to watch another film, but I also see the trouble that Gideon is having because I had a very similar situation with the film Joe in the 12th HoF.
I just don't know what to say to it. I know it is on Youtube, but there is a problem there. Forget the fact that it is a small picture, they either sped up the sound or just altered it slightly. So that affects the film to a certain extent. But if someone really just wants to watch the movie, and they really can't find any other way to do so, that is the best bet. Otherwise, a different nomination may be an option, but then again, it doesn't look like that would be a favorable idea either.

I can say that I am seriously at a loss with this.

I sent Gideon a few links, so hopefully one of them will work. If not, I don't think it's fair to ask people who have already watched it to watch another movie, so Gideon can just put my nom at the bottom of his list. I don't join these HoFs to win anyway, so it's not a big deal to me if it affects my nom in the final rankings, and this way it won't affect anyone else's noms.

I sent Gideon a few links, so hopefully one of them will work. If not, I don't think it's fair to ask people who have already watched it to watch another movie, so Gideon can just put my nom at the bottom of his list. I don't join these HoFs to win anyway, so it's not a big deal to me if it affects my nom in the final rankings, and this way it won't affect anyone else's noms.
That's nice of you GBG...but there's a better way to adjust the scoring for a movie that one person can't watch. Assuming Gideon can't find The Idolmaker...

When all the list are sent in, Vamp will add up the points, she will then divide the total points for The Idolmaker by the number of people who seen it, that gives her an average score...then she will times that number by the total number of list sent in, which will give an adjusted score based on the other list that included the movie.

It will probably take Vamp all of 30 seconds to do the math. BTW we call this the CR method (I thought of it for the 10th Hof but never needed to use it.)

That's really weird both the version 1 and version 2 links work for me. Can't tell you what it is, i'd send you more links but i doubt they'd work if that one doesn't and gbg and Citizen said they sent you others already.

That's really weird both the version 1 and version 2 links work for me. Can't tell you what it is, i'd send you more links but i doubt they'd work if that one doesn't and gbg and Citizen said they sent you others already.
Don't worry about it, Camo...Citizen worked out a way to do the voting without me seeing it.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
When all the list are sent in, Vamp will add up the points, she will then divide the total points for The Idolmaker by the number of people who seen it, that gives her an average score...then she will times that number by the total number of list sent in, which will give an adjusted score based on the other list that included the movie.
What?! That was like a word problem in math class. And I am terrible at word problems.

It will probably take Vamp all of 30 seconds to do the math.
Really? 30 seconds? It took me at least a whole minute to comprehend what I just read!

But I understand it, though. So don't worry.

You'll probably just have to add on the average score to the actual score you get because i think Gideon is the only one who can't see it.

For example if you had six lists but only five with The Idolmaker on it and it got ten points you'd give it two extra.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
That's nice of you GBG...but there's a better way to adjust the scoring for a movie that one person can't watch. Assuming Gideon can't find The Idolmaker...

It will probably take Vamp all of 30 seconds to do the math. BTW we call this the CR method (I thought of it for the 10th Hof but never needed to use it.)
What?! That was like a word problem in math class. And I am terrible at word problems.

Really? 30 seconds? It took me at least a whole minute to comprehend what I just read!

You'll probably just have to add on the average score to the actual score you get because i think Gideon is the only one who can't see it.

For example if you had six lists but only five with The Idolmaker on it and it got ten points you'd give it two extra.

@SilentVamp, whatever works for you is okay with me. If CR's method works for you, that's great, but if it's easier to just put my nom at the bottom of Gideon's list, that's okay too. I don't want you to go crazy trying to figure it out. It won't bother me either way.

Math word problems aren't my thing either! I never was good at them

Let's say for example:
The Idolmaker scores 60 points

divide 60 by 15(number of voting members) = 4
times 4 x 16 (the total number of members) = 64 which would be the corrected score.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Amadeus

I think the big problem for me was that I didn't like any of the characters, so I had no emotional attachment to what was going on in their lives. I expected Mozart to be likable, but instead he was just a musical genius who was crude and obnoxious. And I hated his laugh.

And Salieri wasn't a good person either, so I didn't like him, but at least he was a more interesting character.

The story seems so far-fetched, about how Salieri's jealousy caused the downfall of both himself and Mozart, that I can't imagine that much of this movie is historically accurate, but I guess if you like Mozart's music maybe this movie has enough to hold your interest.
Well, Mozart's personality was like that. He was like a child, maybe due to the fact he didn't have a normal childhood.

Salieri and Mozart were actually friends on real life, so that part of the film was fiction. What is true is the ability Mozart had to just write music from memory, even if just heard it once or compose whole ouvertures in one sitting without making a single mistake. And that is absolutely unique in the history of music. The Requiem composition was also half-true, Salieri didn't have anything to do with it, it was one of Mozart's students, Sussmayer who finished it, and the strange figure who ordered it anonimously was a noble who wanted to tell his friends that he was one who wrote it (that's at least the main theory)

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
didn't know that final tidbit about the noble, thanks @neiba!!

Amadeus (1984)

It was 30 years ago, that I last watched Amadeus. I remember liking it, and that's all I remember. Over the years I've heard the film being discussed, and wondered if I would still feel the same way about it.

Three hours! That's how long this movie is...I watched the extended Director's Cut and it had an extra 20 minutes included, making for a 180 minute movie...And I loved all 180 minutes! What a well crafted story Amadeus is.

The juxtaposition of Salieri, a man who makes a vow to his God, so that he can become a musical virtuoso...and Mozart, a musical genius who's vulgar to the nth degree, but seems to make music that is otherworldly and inspired by God himself.

F. Murray Abraham was amazing in this. He made the film great. I loved the framing of the movie with an elderly Salieri who's utterly defeated with his battle with God, definitely telling the priest his life's story. We see how circumstance and self servitude destroys Salieri.

At times I thought the actor who played Mozart, Tom Hulce was quite good, at other times I thought he seemed to much an imbecile to be a genius. But that's the point of the movie...that a man who acted like an idiot was given an amazing gift of music that was beyond the makings of a mere man....while the self righteous and pious Salari wallowed in meritocracy...as he was slowly drive mad by the his Mozart, a man who he both admired and hated. What a beautifully written story.

I quite like the Emperor played by Jeffrey Jones. I like the way he said "well, there it is", when he made a decision. On the other hand I did not like the actress who played Mozart's wife. She was way too modern in the way she talked. She took me right out of Vienna 1823 and made me think I was watching someone from a 1980's TV show.

But luckily she's not the biggest part of the movie and I still was wowed by it. Part of that wow came from the sets, wow and double wow. I mean just look at those rooms with the gold gilt trim and the decadently beautiful furniture What a stunning looking film and a Greek tragedy to boot. That's my kind of movie!

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Amadeus (1984).jpg
Views:	286
Size:	238.0 KB
ID:	29845  

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
On the other hand I did not like the actress who played Mozart's wife. She was way too modern in the way she talked. She took me right out of Vienna 1823 and made me think I was watching someone from a 1980's TV show
I wish you would've seen the one that I saw in the stage production. She would've made the one in the movie seem like a Shakespearean actress to you! I couldn't stand her. And it just so happened that my ex happened to see it, too. And I will always remember him saying to me - FIRST THING AFTER I SAID THAT I HAD ALSO SEEN THAT PRODUCTION - "She was the perfect 'Stanze". First of all, SHE is the thing that made the biggest impression on him that that was the first thing he said about the play?!? Second, he called her 'Stanze to me! What was that about?! I don't care what Mozart says in the story, this idiot that I knew didn't know her personally to call her that! Third, I said to him "How can you even talk about her performance? She was the worst one in the cast. I have NO idea why they would've EVER cast her in that role. And she played her like a moronic twit". Believe me, this one in the film is Academy Award worthy compared to the one I saw

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
The Buddy Holly Story

As was the case with the Johnny Cash story, I can't claim to be very knowledgeable when it comes to Buddy Holly's music. I recognized one song, and I didn't even know it was one of his.

Seeing Gary Busey take on a lead role, and a serious one at that, made me question the movie at first (I think this is the first role I've ever seen him in the lead/not being an antagonist), but to my surprise I have to give it to him: He did a great job. He portrayed Buddy with a calm and understated performance that I'd never seen him do before. Nowhere is seen the wierd, hyperactive version from Under Siege or the stoic and violent Mr. Joshua from Lethal Weapon. In short, it's the best performance I've seen from the man.

His two friends weren't bad either, with the best scene of their's by far was the basist's valet stuff. Liked how he just went with the gag when they were checking into the hotel and even embelished it a bit himself.

The story itself was fine, but it did drag at places. As biopics go, I think it better than Walk the Line's story, but that I think has to do with the fact that I actually liked this guy, as opposed to Cash.

As to what happend to Holly, I'd forgotten. It was just as the tour buss drove off as it hit me and I suddenly felt so sorry for his wife. He didn't really want to leave her, but she convinced him to go. She of course was blameless, but I could see how she'd blame herself. The last scenes did feel a bit like a farewell as we stay with him through a prolonged scene of him performing. It lingered, as if having a hard time moving on because they knew what would happen after the show was over.

I also wondered if they added the bit where his friends showed up at their apartment and surprised his wife with the news that they wanted to get the band back together. It felt a bit too well timed for it to be real, but if it was, I guess life just has a dark sense of humour.

In the end, I'm glad to have seen it, both for Busey's performance and to get to know a little more about one of the major contributers in Rock n' Roll history.

A great nom, Citizen!

Amadeus [size=4](1984)
Really enjoyed reading your review of this, Citizen...so glad you mentioned Jeffrey Jones, who I thought was BRILLIANT in this, easily the best performance of his career. As I mentioned earlier, was not looking forward to re-watching this movie because it's so long, but your review has made it a little easier to face the music (so to speak).

I wish you would've seen the one that I saw in the stage production. She would've made the one in the movie seem like a Shakespearean actress to you! I couldn't stand her. And it just so happened that my ex happened to see it, too. And I will always remember him saying to me - FIRST THING AFTER I SAID THAT I HAD ALSO SEEN THAT PRODUCTION - "She was the perfect 'Stanze". First of all, SHE is the thing that made the biggest impression on him that that was the first thing he said about the play?!? Second, he called her 'Stanze to me! What was that about?! I don't care what Mozart says in the story, this idiot that I knew didn't know her personally to call her that! Third, I said to him "How can you even talk about her performance? She was the worst one in the cast. I have NO idea why they would've EVER cast her in that role. And she played her like a moronic twit". Believe me, this one in the film is Academy Award worthy compared to the one I saw
Yeah, I think you're talking about Elizabeth Berridge...she was terrible...nothing period appropriate about that performance.

Really enjoyed reading your review of this, Citizen...so glad you mentioned Jeffrey Jones, who I thought was BRILLIANT in this, easily the best performance of his career. As I mentioned earlier, was not looking forward to re-watching this movie because it's so long, but your review has made it a little easier to face the music (so to speak).
When I first spotted Jeffrey Jones, I thought Ferris Bueller's Day Off. But he quickly became the Emperor, well there it is.

I thought it was a great movie.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Glad to hear your enjoyment, @Citizen Rules and, like @Gideon58 very happy to hear you mention Jeffrey Jones, which I forgot to mention. Like you, "There it is," always stuck with me and I'd use it whenever a decision was made. He really did a commendable job as the Emperor.

Also, glad to hear ya got a lil history lesson in old time rock n roll, @Clazor. And yes, this movie role was BEFORE Busey's motorcycle/head injuries, so he so much more lucid.
When I was young I had the opposite effect, knowing him from Buddy Holly and then seeing him such movies as Lethal Weapon and thinking: Holy *****, who slipped acid into that man's sno-cone?" lol