Tools    

Legend in my own mind

Reasonable doubt 2014

Superb idea

Average execution

Bit cheesy

The truth is in here

What? What???

I guess I should expect this one to be different, since it's the third entry after all not to mention it was marketed as a parody of the first two movies. But it really was strange. Very, very strange.

The thing is... The things that work about this movie work against it at the same time.
First off, the comedy. There were pretty funny lines throughout, most of which stem from characters just acting unusually casual about very extreme situations. You gotta love Alex seeing his biology teacher dead and not even bat an eye. More than just not bat an eye, he's almost completely fine with it. Mary Lou however is the real cartoon character, who does all kinds of fun little hijinks she can think of in the most gleeful manner. Courtney Taylor replaces Lisa Shrage as the character. Whereas Shrage was fairly believable, Taylor hams it up to the highest degree. But that is kind of the point with every actor in this movie. They are utterly terrible, but the cartoony nature of the acting is part of the humor. You can argue whether this is such a good thing or not, but most of them do have their moments.
The music soundtrack was pretty funny as well. Like picked right out of a kids show.

That being said, it wasn't a particularly clever movie. Sure, it has some very funny or amusing moments (like the depiction of Hell, the dumb line about mental illness, the silly comments about how women are tedious), but it has quite a bafflingly dumb storyline and a sense of staying over its welcome. I can't take anything going on in the movie seriously. At all. I know you're not really supposed to, but any sort of tension, which is comedic but you are meant to be invested in, becomes redundant. I should feel worried about Alex? Or Sarah? Or his family? Every character is an annoying ass'hole, including Mary Lou herself. They may give you smiles due to their funny lines, but you do not IN THE SLIGHTEST care about whether they die or live. And that's a problem. It also results in the movie being really boring, since you don't care for the story. It takes FOR-EVER before Alex decides he's had enough. FOR. EVER. I know he's supposed to be the dumbest prick ever, but how he also switched from being cool with it even after protesting to then immediately deciding "That's it!" was so poorly handled.

A mixed bag. It was an admirable effort at doing something different. And it honestly could have been a lot worse (thank God I chuckled enough that it in parts made up for the poor writing), but to someone who loves the first two movies it's pretty disrespectful in a way.

5.8/10, = low

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I watched this due to your post, and enjoyed it immensely. It is completely bizarre. The ending was a bit abrupt but it shows they didn't have anything else to so on I guess. I'd love to see a follow up documentary on Jane O'Brien in a year or 2. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

There is a 20 minute follow up short on the guy and if you click on this link, then things gets bit weirder. Some people think it's faked. Who knows, I could believe both sides.

Suspect's Reviews

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Beauty & The Beast

(Bill Condon)

It was about halfway through the movie, when I was nodding off, that I realized how utterly dull and uninspired this remake is. There are moments where I was engaged and moments where I questioned what the hell the filmmakers were thinking. The classic tale of Stockholm Syndrome has Belle, played by Emma Watson, falling in love with a Beast, played by Dan Stevens in motion capture. It's a tale as old as time. In short, stick to the original cartoon.

If you're still reading, I guess you want more answers for how this film could have limped across the finish line to the end credits. Well, let's start with the set pieces. Attention to detail is marvellous, the castle is gorgeous to look at and completely confusing to understand where you are. Numerous times I was trying to understand the geography of the place and failed. Her prison has a giant window she can jump from to escape, the stairs and hallways are like a hedge maze from The Shining. Moments in the cartoon that inspire awe and smiles are when she enters the library and the ballroom. Yet here, they glaze over such things. I never got a great sense of the rooms, it could be attributed to the atrocious 3D, but it disappointed me. Then we have her village, which felt like it was manufactured the day before they started filming. Nothing in the beginning felt real, everything was staged and choreographed. Yes, we get that it's a musical, but make it a bit more believable, yeah?

Ignoring these aspects of the film, let's try and focus on the effects, mainly the CGI. Yes, the CGI, which is pretty much 75% of the film. It worked wonderfully in the 'Be Our Guest' number, when it brought in vibrant colours and imagination. The rest, not so much. The characters such as Cogsworth, Mrs Potts and Lumière, among other inanimate objects, felt lifeless. Zero characterization for their designs, thankfully they were saved by good voice acting. Ewan McGregor does a great job bringing the candlestick to life. He's one of the highlights this film has. I do wish Sir Ian McKellen did a bit more here, he felt underused or uninterested.

Is there something I'm missing? Oh of course, the Beast himself. Big mistake in turning the character into a fuzzy CGI creation. The movements of the face, did not feel true to make me believe he was a character on the screen. It felt fake, worse than those people complaining about the silicon valley styled Rogue One characters. They should have gone a more practical route. I don't get it either. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes gave beautifully created designs to furry creatures, what the hell happened here? They wanted to make him more human? I felt like Emma Watson was alone in their scenes together. They should be falling love dammit!!!

Was the casting good though? As I mentioned earlier, McGregor does a great job, but the real standout is Luke Evans. Despite not being the ideal looking actor to take on the role of the ego centric Gaston, he steals the show. A wonderful singing voice (others do not) and an actor who is really having a good time with the character and material. Every time he was on screen was a joy to watch. Emma Watson on the other hand, delivers a bland and generic performance for Belle. Which is surprising, considering she loves the character and original film. Nothing she does here is interesting, nor memorable. This character could have been played by literally anyone, they could have swapped out actors halfway through the film and no one would notice. Stanley Tucci is underused as is Kevin Kline (despite having more to do than the original character).

Am I being too hard on the film? Maybe, but the entire thing felt unneeded and by the freakin' numbers. Bill Condon, of Twilight fame, was the wrong man for the job. The film has no visual flare when it should be bursting out of the screen. Everything was forced, staged and relied heavily on CGI, which in turn made the film feel fake. At most, the film is "okay" and if not for Luke Evans, the film would have been considerably worse. They do add a few more scenes to flesh our some characters and try to make their love story a bit more believable. More backstory and story elements as to why no one knows where this castle is despite being hours away. These elements helped a bit, but this film lacks a lot of that thing Disney specializes in...MAGIC.

The Space Between Us (Chelsom, 2017)

The first 40 minutes of this movie are the most roundabout way to tell a fish out of water story ever devised. The rest is a mind numbing young adult, fantasy/romance. The kid is ET, the girl is Jason Bourne, and the script was stolen out of a middle school locker. It's demographic pandering pap that got pushed back for a reason. Parents beware; your kids deserve better.

There is a 20 minute follow up short on the guy and if you click on this link, then things gets bit weirder. Some people think it's faked. Who knows, I could believe both sides.
Wow. Didn't know that. I'm off to dig out the short.

Nocturnal Animals (2016)

This movie suits my taste perfectly so it was one I was really looking forward to. There are two storylines, one reality, and one coming from a book that a man dedicates to his ex-wife. I thought the movie deftly alternated these storylines, as well as the present and the past. It's easy to follow if you pay attention. Amy Adams, Jake Gyllenhaal, Michael Shannon, and the supporting cast all put in strong performances. There is some great tension, especially in the first half, and it is exceptional visually. I loved the way the reality part of the story wrapped up, but I would have liked a little more from the conclusion of the fiction part.

Welcome to the human race...
Beauty and the Beast ('17) -

Thought about docking it half a popcorn because of Suspect's post but then again nah.

The Last Supper

A group of idealistic, but frustrated, liberals succumb to the temptation of murdering rightwing pundits for their political beliefs

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
The Space Between Us (Chelsom, 2017)

The first 40 minutes of this movie are the most roundabout way to tell a fish out of water story ever devised. The rest is a mind numbing young adult, fantasy/romance. The kid is ET, the girl is Jason Bourne, and the script was stolen out of a middle school locker. It's demographic pandering pap that got pushed back for a reason. Parents beware; your kids deserve better.
Such a oryginal idea is wasted. Shame.

The Last Supper

A group of idealistic, but frustrated, liberals succumb to the temptation of murdering rightwing pundits for their political beliefs

I've seen this movie long time ago, but I remeber it till now. It's great example of entertainmet which provide some sort of reflection. Perfect combination.

Nocturnal Animals (2016)

This movie suits my taste perfectly so it was one I was really looking forward to. There are two storylines, one reality, and one coming from a book that a man dedicates to his ex-wife. I thought the movie deftly alternated these storylines, as well as the present and the past. It's easy to follow if you pay attention. Amy Adams, Jake Gyllenhaal, Michael Shannon, and the supporting cast all put in strong performances. There is some great tension, especially in the first half, and it is exceptional visually. I loved the way the reality part of the story wrapped up, but I would have liked a little more from the conclusion of the fiction part.
I would give 5/5. When the movie ended, I realize my all body was flexed. I can't say the history in the movie was pleasant, but I'm sure I didn't breathe during 115 minutes

Captain Fantastic (Ross,2015)
6/10

The greatest strenght of this movie is not-hollywood-made end. It is happy ending, but not in a sweet-obvious meaning.

- Combs, Crampton and Gordon rarely disappoint for low budget, atmospheric, slightly comedic horror films.

- Interesting period piece about The Spanish Inquisition. Brutal, perverse and well acted.