Musical Artist Movie Hall of Fame

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Is Destiny against watching it online? Understood if she is, if not i could find a good link.

Based on her post, it sounds like she's buying the DVDs, not watching online, but she would have to confirm this.

Are we talking illegal? This is going to sound awful, but I've broke the law so many times in my life, I feel like my luck is probably running out in that department. Then again, maybe that's why I keep having all this sh!ty ass luck.

I don't want to make people change their nominations, though.

Based on her post, it sounds like she's buying the DVDs, not watching online, but she would have to confirm this.
I only watch them when it's a legal site. The really old movies.

Are we talking illegal? This is going to sound awful, but I've broke the law so many times in my life, I feel like my luck is probably running out in that department. Then again, maybe that's why I keep having all this sh!ty ass luck.

I don't want to make people change their nominations, though.

Well, my offer still stands, just don't wait too long to let me know because it won't be fair to change it after a bunch of people have watched it.

Well, my offer still stands, just don't wait too long to let me know because it won't be fair to change it after a bunch of people have watched it.
Yeah, I know. Tell me this, has anyone watched it, or bought it yet?

Actually, who here has Netflix? Is it available there for either streaming or DVD? I just checked, and since it's been forever since I've been there, they are offering me a free month. I can't search the movies, though, until I rejoin. Is that movie there?

The Buddy Holly Story (1978)

Maybe one of the most impressive things about this movie, is that it got made at all. There had been two other attempts at making a Buddy Holly movie, but in both cases the window of Buddy Holly - Maria Holly who controlled the rights, turned down the big studio offers. Luckily for us, she finally went with a smaller production company as she felt they would be more attuned to honoring the essences of Buddy Holly.

Even more impressive than that, is the three actors actually perform their own music, playing the instruments themselves and singing....and doing that live during the scene shoot in front of an audience. Nothing is prerecorded, nothing is lip sync. That's
Gary Busey, Don Stroud, Charles Martin Smith, performing the songs live and that's a rarity in movie making.

I liked Gary Busey in this and I'm not usually his biggest fan but even though he doesn't physically resemble Buddy, he does capture his exuberance. The story is told in a straight-forward manner and that works well. Of course we all know how the story ends.

I read that the 50s musician, Little Richard who was at the all black venue Apollo theater on the night that Buddy Holly and the Crickets performed there was pretty accurate.

One of the coolest cars ever to grace the screen is the silver 1959
Cadillac Le Mans roadster. One of only four that were hand built by GM in 1953, and the only one that was redesigned in 1959. It's got to be worth well over 7 figures.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	large-screenshot2.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	250.8 KB
ID:	29460   Click image for larger version

Name:	i010184.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	243.5 KB
ID:	29461  

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
did not know about them doing a live performance to the songs. Very nice touch.

And that IS A SWEET vee-hicle!!

The Buddy Holly Story (1978)

Maybe one of the most impressive things about this movie, is that it got made at all. There had been two other attempts at making a Buddy Holly movie, but in both cases the window of Buddy Holly - Maria Holly who controlled the rights, turned down the big studio offers. Luckily for us, she finally went with a smaller production company as she felt they would be more attuned to honoring the essences of Buddy Holly.

Even more impressive than that, is the three actors actually perform their own music, playing the instruments themselves and singing....and doing that live during the scene shoot in front of an audience. Nothing is prerecorded, nothing is lip sync. That's
Gary Busey, Don Stroud, Charles Martin Smith, performing the songs live and that's a rarity in movie making.

I liked Gary Busey in this and I'm not usually his biggest fan but even though he doesn't physically resemble Buddy, he does capture his exuberance. The story is told in a straight-forward manner and that works well. Of course we all know how the story ends.

I read that the 50s musician, Little Richard who was at the all black venue Apollo theater on the night that Buddy Holly and the Crickets performed there was pretty accurate.

One of the coolest cars ever to grace the screen is the silver 1959
Cadillac Le Mans roadster. One of only four that were hand built by GM in 1953, and the only one that was redesigned in 1959. It's got to be worth well over 7 figures.

I've never been much of a fan of Gary Busey either, but I think he nails his performance as Buddy Holly.

I'm not really familiar with the real Buddy Holly so Gary Busey worked for me Oh and I forgot to mention, in the movie there was a really cool 1950s Philco refrigeration, with an upper and lower doors and big chrome handles. I liked that, almost as much as the car

Does the free month work for Netflix DVD too? Just asking as we don't have Netflix DVD, i would've guessed the free month was only for streaming.
Sorry, I missed this question. Yes, I get to do both streaming and DVDs until April 18.

ONCE
Most likely aimed at moviegoers who don't like musicals as a rule, the 2007 film Once is an unremarkable but lovingly crafted look at the singularly unique passion that music can ignite between two people who otherwise would never connect; however, this is sadly a case where the parts are better than the whole.

Like another film I viewed recently, The Commitments, the setting is contemporary Dublin where our two central characters meet. He works in his father's vacuum cleaner repair shop during the day and at night, hits the streets of Dublin with his guitar and his own angry music. She is a Czech immigrant and single mother who is drawn to his music and is eventually revealed to be a gifted pianist. She takes him to a music store where she has an understanding with the owner and they combine their gifts with the guitar and piano and a love affair is born, even if they don't realize it.

This is another one of those cases where if making a strong cinematic statement was about intentions, this would hit a home run, but there's a very sluggish pacing to this story that really doesn't sustain interest for its very economic running time. Writer and director John Carney has a terrific idea here, creating a realistic movie musical, but when it comes down to it, no matter what kind of musical you're making, it comes down to the music as the sticking point and I just found the music rather uninteresting, even though I liked the fact that it was the singular factor linking the two central characters.

On the positive side, the characters' link through their music is so strong that the characters aren't even assigned names and we don't notice or care. I was intrigued by the fact that most of the music seemed to manifest itself through the two characters damaged romantic pasts, but this made for some music that at some times was hard and a little depressing. I did like that the two leads were clearly musicians first and not actors, which definitely aided in the realism that Carney was going for...it was so refreshing seeing a movie character sit down at a keyboard and the camera not have to move away from the keyboard in order to disguise the fact that the actor isn't really playing. It was obvious that every time this guy fingered that guitar and every time her hands flowed over that keyboard that they were creating the music onscreen for us.

Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglove have a surprising ease onscreen, in what was clearly their first big screen assignments, but I wish they had been given a little more assistance from the screenplay and director in order to create viable screen entertainment that didn't find me stifling the occasional yawn.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
@Gideon58 Do you know much about the stage musical that was based on the film of Once? I don't know much at all. I just saw the couple of performances that were on the Tonys and that is it. And as I was watching this film, I couldn't really conceive how they could create a full musical show on stage based on this film. I would think they'd need a bit more dialogue for that. Even a bit more action, for lack of a better word.

@Gideon58 Do you know much about the stage musical that was based on the film of Once? I don't know much at all. I just saw the couple of performances that were on the Tonys and that is it. And as I was watching this film, I couldn't really conceive how they could create a full musical show on stage based on this film. I would think they'd need a bit more dialogue for that. Even a bit more action, for lack of a better word.
I remember seeing a performance from this show on the Tony Awards, but that's my only exposure to the stage musical...I really wanted to like this movie, I was hoping it would be another pleasant surprise like The Commitments, but I just couldn't get into this one.