Musical Artist Movie Hall of Fame

Tools    

To be serious for a moment, though. I do think this is a good movie with some really good music.
I actually liked every song in Pick of Destiny, which is very unusual for me.

I don't even like all the songs in the few traditional musicals that I do enjoy (for example, I actively dislike all the songs before the kids get to the factory in Willy Wonka, and have to fast forward through the grandpa's song because I honestly can't stand to hear it). Of course it helps that I was already familiar with Tenacious D before hand, and that they make music that does appeal to me.

The animated farting intro did put me off at first, but I found the rest of the movie to be thoroughly enjoyable, and I didn't think that it sunk to that level again (until the end credits scene that is, which I found amusing anyway though). While I was a little disappointed that my favourite Tenacious D song wasn't in it ("Tribute", if that wasn't obvious by now haha), I rather like "Master Exploder" as well, which was in the film.

Yeah, I noticed a bit of a resemblance to Captain Janeway too, but I think part of it is her voice and her screen presence, more than just her looks.
Yup, her facial expressions, her voice and her physical look really reminded me of Janeway. I'm glad I didn't image that

I watched this movie yesterday and I wondered who would be the first person to point out the fact that she was in the film.

I thought the same thing, actually. I really liked the music, but it was funny that they didn't put more of an effort into making it sound more authentic to the times.
I was surprised to see Olympia Dukakis too. Glad to hear I wasn't image the 80s sounding, 50s music.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
So far I've gotten The Idolmaker, The Wall and Once watched. And I will most likely be making it a marathon tomorrow of The Buddy Holly Story, Tenacious D and Eddie and the Cruisers. And Sunday will be my re-watch of Walk the Line. After this weekend I will have the first set of nominations watched and I will be on track with what I stated my game plan was going to be for these two HoF's.

I will just need to stop procrastinating and get my reviews up sooner rather than later this time around!

You guys have me very curious about the Tenacious D movie now. I had an idea of what it was going to be like, anyway, but I wasn't 100% sure. But I will find out about it soon enough tomorrow.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I actually liked every song in Pick of Destiny, which is very unusual for me.

I don't even like all the songs in the few traditional musicals that I do enjoy (for example, I actively dislike all the songs before the kids get to the factory in Willy Wonka, and have to fast forward through the grandpa's song because I honestly can't stand to hear it). Of course it helps that I was already familiar with Tenacious D before hand, and that they make music that does appeal to me.

The animated farting intro did put me off at first, but I found the rest of the movie to be thoroughly enjoyable, and I didn't think that it sunk to that level again (until the end credits scene that is, which I found amusing anyway though). While I was a little disappointed that my favourite Tenacious D song wasn't in it ("Tribute", if that wasn't obvious by now haha), I rather like "Master Exploder" as well, which was in the film.
I used to do the same when I was I younger. I'd cut STRAIGHT to Gene Wilder stepping out from the factory and on occasion would see the rest and still skip "grandpa song" and when the mother sang about Charlie. lol

and @SilentVamp you should DEFINITELY go in with an open mind when you watch Tenacious.
And I look forward to your reviews - once you stop procrastinating, of course

I used to do the same when I was I younger. I'd cut STRAIGHT to Gene Wilder stepping out from the factory and on occasion would see the rest and still skip "grandpa song" and when the mother sang about Charlie. lol
I always hated "Cheer Up, Charlie". The song was kind of dull to me (although I always think that even the best of musicals has at least one song that I absolutely do not like at all). The older I've gotten the more tolerable it is to me. But I always kind of liked "I've Got a Golden Ticket". And, of course, "Candy Man" is a song that is pre-Gene Wilder in that movie. And @CosmicRunaway, please don't tell me you don't like that one!

@SilentVamp you should DEFINITELY go in with an open mind when you watch Tenacious.
And I look forward to your reviews - once you stop procrastinating, of course
Oh, that almost sounds like a warning.

I am not really lazy, but when it comes to reviews, forget it! I watched "The Young Girls of Rochefort" when it was on that night. I think that was a week ago and I still haven't gotten around to writing one word about it. I am a disgrace to these HoF's.

@SilentVamp yes, it IS a warning! Don't make me get the Harrison Ford Waving Finger out on you!

I actually caught about 10 mins of Rochefort when I was recording it on my DVR. Looked very promising and I d@mn near sat and watched it if I hadn't come in late on it.

For me, I GOTTA get the review out or its kinda gone. Though, on occasion a pause in a day or two does allow the words to flow a wee bit better.

Forgot about Candy Man. Though I would always picture Sammy Davis Jr singing it with a smile and a wink and with a lil mo' soul. lol

Well, since I had such issues with my computer restarting on me, I lost a lot of what I was in the middle of writing on here many times. So I took to writing everything in Word instead. I tend to write my very basic thoughts on the movies first, forget it for awhile, and then go back and improve what I've already written. This time I haven't even written one word about anything I've seen, and that is bad.

But I have a game plan to getting my reviews written, too. I won't tell that plan, though, because if I do, I think I will end up looking like a liar as I may not follow through with it. But I do plan to get the first group of films' reviews posted sometime this week. No excuse to not get it done (other than the fact that I have my obligation to see Beauty and the Beast this week - nothing else can get in the way of that - and that will take some of my time up that I could've spent working on the reviews instead ).

The Commitments

Try a little tenderness. . . You gotta gotta GOTTA GOTTA ---

Holy Hannah! A lil Dublin Soul for this Detroit Boy. I remember when this originally came out and seeing the poster and that lil voice that always let's me know when I've come across something that's gonna make me smile, telling me that I should watch this. . . and finally. . . I got to.

I actually tried to see this over a month or two ago on a very bad online copy and gave up about 30 min in. SO VERY glad to come across an excellent copy so I could enjoy the music AND with subs so I can catch all the dialogue. These thick, cholesterol-clotted, American ears have such a hard time catching the subtleties of other people some times. lol

Everything really worked here. Not only the music: Soul, but having it played on the dirty streets of Dublin was ideal!
I won't go into the interactions of everyone in the band, which cracked me up quite a bit, until others have watched this, so this will be very short even though my enjoyment is VERY far-reaching!!

THANK YOU Silent for nominating this!!

Well, since I had such issues with my computer restarting on me, I lost a lot of what I was in the middle of writing on here many times. So I took to writing everything in Word instead. I tend to write my very basic thoughts on the movies first, forget it for awhile, and then go back and improve what I've already written. This time I haven't even written one word about anything I've seen, and that is bad.

But I have a game plan to getting my reviews written, too. I won't tell that plan, though, because if I do, I think I will end up looking like a liar as I may not follow through with it. But I do plan to get the first group of films' reviews posted sometime this week. No excuse to not get it done (other than the fact that I have my obligation to see Beauty and the Beast this week - nothing else can get in the way of that - and that will take some of my time up that I could've spent working on the reviews instead ).
Any time I get a game plan the REAL plan of it is to CHANGE the game plan!!

OK. Got some news this morning.

Gideon is interested in joining. And I said that he could. But I did tell him that the two nominations were optional, as it was for everyone else here.

Now before anyone goes into a panic and thinks "No! Not more movies!" , I will extend the HoF deadline based on his nominations. And I will let you know what that is as soon as I receive them.

THANK YOU Silent for nominating this!!
You are very welcome, sir!!

I am so glad that you enjoyed it so much. This is one that I haven't seen in years. But it is a movie that always put me in a good mood after I saw it.

sounds pretty frickin wonderful all the way around. I've loved his informative reviews in the live action and would love to see them here and if the price of that admission is watching two more movies - I'll happily ante up.

You are very welcome, sir!!

I am so glad that you enjoyed it so much. This is one that I haven't seen in years. But it is a movie that always put me in a good mood after I saw it.
such is the magic of Soul and of Motown music! It always rises the spirit

@edarsenal
Have you ever been to the Motown museum there?

I had plans to finally get to Detroit last year, but things didn't go my way at all with anything last year. That was on my To-Do list when I went.

Speaking of Motown, I went to see the Motown - The Musical back in 2015. Boy, was that a show to see! The audience was almost crazier than the one when I saw the tribute band for The Beatles called Rain. It was so funny because people reacted like they were really The Beatles, but it was much funnier with the Motown crowd. As soon as The Temptations came out, they cheered like they were really The Temptations. And when it was The Jackson 5, that was the best. The audience kind of lost it then. I just laughed and said "Oh my God! It is actually Michael Jackson as a little boy on stage". It was fun to see that show, if nothing else, because of the reaction of the audience.

And there was a pretty good reaction to the "appearance" of Rick James, too.

OK. Gideon's films are:
Sweet Dreams (1985)
and
Ray (2004)

I still need to add the pictures for them, but I have am having issues today. I will do it the next time that I am on.

Anyway, Ray was one of the top contenders to be one of my nominations. So it will be good to re-watch it.

driven by COUNTLESS times and never actually stepped inside, sadly.
Know a lot of the little stories spoke with a few guys who played with, or knew a lot of the people when they were just starting out and the Revues they had at local theaters that are mostly gone. That sort of thing.
Did get to see the a few of the original musical band that backed EVERYONE. (The band stayed on stage as all the singers took turns coming out to do their shows) at an improved get together at a place called Bert's Warehouse in Eastern Market that is STILL there back in the late 90's.There is even a documentary about them and for the LIFE of me, I can't remember the name.

Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny
Me and Vamp were talking about the effects of preconceived expectations on one's movie enjoyment. I believe if you go into a movie with super high expectations you run the risk of being disappointed. The flip side is what happened with me and Tenacious D...I read Ed's review and seen he wasn't a fan of the movie...so, I expected to hate this so much, that I thought I'd watch it last night as I was real tired and if I feel asleep, it was no big loss...

But, guess what? I actually liked this, at least I enjoyed much of the film and even laughed too. That's probably because I didn't expect much and was surprised at how fun this was!

I know everyone likes to hate on comedians like: Adam Sandler, Ben Stiller and Jack Black...sure these guys act like dumb ass jerks, but that takes acting skill. Ben Stiller was so into his role that I didn't even recognize him at first, he's intense, Marlon Brando himself would have appreciated his acting here.

I liked Jack Black, I could even relate to him and he's funny. He produced and wrote this film. I loved the concert simulator in KG's apartment, the beer bottle on the head, ha I really liked their first gig at some hole in the wall place. And damn Jack Black can sing! I liked all the songs, I can't remember their titles, but they were well done and presented in a hilarious quirky manner.

I could have done without the shock potty mouth comedy, I'm a big boy and I can handle some naughty words, but when a comedy has to constantly reach for crudeness in lieu of clever situational material, it's not a good thing.

But the one thing that bothered me, and I'm curious if it bothers anyone else, was the waitress having a black eye in the diner. I thought her black eye would be part of the story, but it seems to been included for the hell of it. Nothing funny about domestic abuse, so that was an odd thing to do. Oh and I wish KG would have put his wig back on after it fell off (which was funny) but he looked too boring without it.

So yeah, I had fun watching this

TENACIOUS D IN THE PICK OF DESTINY

Jack Black has provided more than his share of laughs on the big screen over the years, but those who know the actor as well as those who saw School of Rock know that this is one actor who wants to be a rock and roll musician. When not making movies, Jack and his partner Kyle Gass make music together as Tenacious D and Black was finally allowed to combine his passion with his bread and butter for a 2006 oddity called Tenacious D in The Pick of Detiny.

Black and Gass are basically playing exaggerated versions of themselves here, a pair of Venice California rock and roll potheads who plan to participate in an open mic night and decide that the only way they can win the competition is to steal a legendary guitar pick that is under very tight security at the Rock and Roll History Museum.

Black and Gass had a really solid idea here but I just don't think they believed in their own concept enough to trust it to deliver what they wanted. I don't know if there's an actual term for it...for the sake of this review, I'm calling it "Rock and Roll Improv", the art of putting instant lyrics to famous rock progressions, but there is NOBODY in the business who does it better than Jack Black and as this movie began, I thought "OMG, this is going to be awesome, a Jack Black rock and roll opera!" Unfortunately, my dreams turned to dross when characters actually started speaking lines, because most of the actors cast in this film were pretty dreadful (including Gass). If Black had fully committed to this idea and made the story a rock opera, this film would have been amazing.

Instead of amazing, what we ended up with is a sluggish musical comedy that provides laughs, especially for rock music fans, but these laughs do not sustain through the opening credits...and the film is only 90 minutes long! Sadly, it was a pretty long ninety minutes that found me glancing at my watch on occassion and even stifling the occasional yawn. Though the bit about how they came up with the name of the group was classic.

Jack Black is almost always worth watching, documented by School of Rock, but I think he might have had the ear of director Liam Lynch a little more in order to keep this thing moving at an entertaining pace. Gass is no actor but Black's respect for the guy is evident in every frame and every moment that these two spend in front of mics with guitars strapped to their chests was gold; unfortunately, there weren't enough of them. There are some clever cameos by Tim Robbins, Ben Stiller, Amy Poehler, and Fred Armisen, but it's Black and Gass' show and their idea was a good one, I just wish they had committed to it completely.

driven by COUNTLESS times and never actually stepped inside, sadly.
I suppose that is because you are live around there. It always seems that people who live in a place where there is some sort of attraction like that, they are never the ones to actually have visited the place.

But, guess what? I actually liked this, at least I enjoyed much of the film and even laughed too. That's probably because I didn't expect much and was surprised at how fun this was!
This makes me a little less wary about watching this tonight.

By the way, I forgot to point out earlier that the deadline is now two weeks later. So it has been changed to Sunday, July 2nd.

I suppose that is because you are live around there. It always seems that people who live in a place where there is some sort of attraction like that, they are never the ones to actually have visited the place. [/b].
That ALWAYS seems the way. I have family who lived about 45 min from Niagara Falls and NEVER bothered to go there.

Great Reviews @CitizenRules Glad to went in with an open mind and enjoyed yourself
and @Gideon58 for, as usual, giving us a little more behind the scenes info, thanks