Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Day of Wrath -

This was my second Dreyer. I watched Ordet for the 5th Hall of Fame here years ago, all i really remember is i liked it. Should watch it again and check out his other stuff as i thought this was great. All i knew going in was that it was about witches and that it was apparently really slow, i guess it was but i honestly wouldn't have even thought of that if i hadn't read it and it didn't bother me at all.

Medieval heavy-moralistic attitudes are something i've always found very intriguing. Of course this could be seen as analogous to any oppressive regime like a certain one that was on everyone's particularly European's minds when this film was made. Separating it from that though i still find it a very interesting film without having to take any of that into consideration. Heriof Marte's begging for her life scene really got to me. The actress did a very good job, she seemed like a normal old woman who hadn't done anything wrong terrified of what was to come, so much so that she was willing to give up Anne's mother. "I'm so afraid to die" was really well delivered with her voice trembling then her turning back as if to say something else but just realizing it's useless and that her life is coming to an end. The great thing about this is that it shows that this way of living was so ingrained into this society that Marte herself believes Anne's mother was a witch. Despite the exact same thing happening to her at this moment she still doesn't question the validity of that. That part alone does an excellent job of setting up the mindsets of the time and it's only a few short scenes and maybe three minutes worth of dialogue. There's also the confession scene which is hilarious in a not funny in the slightest, horrifying sort of way. "She consented to the confession" made me laugh in disbelief, yeah we just brutally tortured her for god knows how long and now finally she has admitted to what she has done, there's no way she would have confessed to anything you asked of her to stop the torture. Tough old broad, wonder why she didn't use the dark arts on us when we were allowing her to freely wander about talking to Absalon. We also have "a fine confession", jesus i could see this in a Mel Brooks film. Yeah, we got it out of her guys, now lets not question why she only started confessing when we threatened to continue the torture, and lets not make anything of her not actually offering any answers herself but instead just agreeing with everything we were telling her. The execution scene was horrific, great scene(s). As i said earlier i found Marte just like a normal old woman, quietly scared but here she sounds like a raving mad woman out of fear which obviously in the minds of the church further confirms that she was a witch. The drastic change in her voice in particular and her screams as she's thrown on the stake were chilling. Very draining first half hour that's set the central conflict as well as the feel for what the society is like up very well.

I think Anne falling for Martin was done well enough. They didn't need to focus too much on it for it to be believable, the fact that her marriage to his dad was forced and that she is closer to age with him as well as the fact that Absalom was busy most of the time so she spent it with him, him conforting her during Marte's execution in particular was enough to make it believable. What it was best for was showing Anne separating herself from her existance as a repressed reverand's wife, her actually experiencing love and joy changing her personality completely, for the better in our eyes but a drastic change in those days especially towards what would be considered bad behaviour for a woman of course raises eyebrows. It's a great insight into a break from oppression, how much she takes to it to the point that you could just accept this film as a straightforward depiction of a woman becoming a witch, when really it's just her experiencing freedom for the first time in her life. Even the wishing death upon Absalom and later confessing seemed to be her trying to hold onto this happiness which wouldn't be able to continue if she was to continue on as an oppressed wife and her confession was her giving up knowing she can't have it anyway.

Anyway, think i've rabbled on long enough haha. Got to say this film was really creepy as well. The shadows, screaming, children singing, etc really got under my skin at times and worked to create the perfect atmosphere. The only thing i would have liked to see more of was around the village, a bit too much of it was set indoors i really love depictions of medieval villages. Saying that i really liked the creepy inside also with the shadows i mentioned and the seemingly always present ticking clock that enhanced the many silences throughout the film. Great film.

Legend in my own mind

Bladerunner

I first watched this as a kid and pretty much hated it.

I watched it again 10 years ago and thought it was ok but was more style than substance

I watched it again today, and feel that I was right 10 years ago.

It is ok, looks good, great idea, Ford is well cast, but it's all a bit bonkers and the important bits are over too quickly, and lesser scenes, where little happens drag on for ages.

File alongside Total recall.

Quills (Philip Kaufman, 2000)

+
Well this was a pleasant surprise when I clicked on this thread! I had no idea you had any interest in it. I definitely agree with most everything you said (except the Phoenix and Caine being "pretty good" part. I, of course, loved them). And yes, Kate Winslet and Amelia Warner were very sexy, but Joaquin Phoenix was sexier still.

I understand your comments although I don't agree.. For me though it was a huge step up from the X men films, Iron man, Avengers, Thor etc which are all bang average (or worse) and follow more or less the same story every single time, and are just too nice. There were bits of this film that I didn't like but it kind of felt similar to the Dark Knight for me when I was like "Now that is Batman" and with this I was like "Now that is Wolverine".
Thought the young girl playing Laura was superb too,
I like Iron Man and can enjoy a few Marvel movies, but I won't argue that they are similar and "safe" and overall I'm not a big fan of that blockbuster bullsh*t. But just because Logan is different and edgy doesn't mean it pulls it off. I love Dark Knight, one of my favorite films actually and probably the best blockbuster of last decade.

And I agree, the young girl was indeed superb. Still, Logan was a disappointment to me.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Well this was a pleasant surprise when I clicked on this thread! I had no idea you had any interest in it. I definitely agree with most everything you said (except the Phoenix and Caine being "pretty good" part. I, of course, loved them). And yes, Kate Winslet and Amelia Warner were very sexy, but Joaquin Phoenix was sexier still.

On who's sexier, we agree to disagree!

Legend in my own mind
I like Iron Man and can enjoy a few Marvel movies, but I won't argue that they are similar and "safe" and overall I'm not a big fan of that blockbuster bullsh*t. But just because Logan is different and edgy doesn't mean it pulls it off. I love Dark Knight, one of my favorite films actually and probably the best blockbuster of last decade.

And I agree, the young girl was indeed superb. Still, Logan was a disappointment to me.
And that I can respect. I disagree as I said, and to me I had the same kind of response to Logan as I did to the Dark Knight although I do feel that the Dark Knight had a bit more to it.
What irritates me slightly is people that try and be all 'look at me' and edgy by panning a popular film.

But overall the reason I come on here is to chat films with people and although it would be less frustrating if everyone agreed with me about everything, it would be pretty boring. I am a fan of opinions, just a bigger fan of my own than others

How dare you!!!
Sorry I have watched it 3 times and been underwhelmed each time, I want to like it more but I can't. I have given it every chance.

See above regarding opinions

What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? - 7.5/10

Started to drag in the second half.

I love it and it's my mums joint favourite film with like 9 others but yeah i agree about the second half.

Logan (2017)

+

All I can say is this is the standalone Wolverine movie I wanted, it's miles ahead of the other two, that's for sure. Now, why'll I wouldn't say I would rank this nearly as high as The Dark Knight, my favorite superhero film, I get why a lot of people are bringing that one up, it definitely does something pretty different than what we expect from a comic book film these days. Well, some of it. My favorite part of the movie is Wolverine himself, his characterization is just so on point in this one. This movie also succeeds by allowing itself to slow down, and have some genuine character moments. This is still a crowd pleasing action film however, it doesn't completely break the mold, and it's more familiar traits are presented in a way that's pretty typical for the genre. There's a villain in charge of an evil organization, Logan has to stop them from getting the child, action ensues. Don't get me wrong, it's just as entertaining as any other recent superhero film, and the action is a bloody, chaotic delight, this is why we wanted that R rating. It's sometimes done in the way I was complaining about in my thoughts about John Wick Chapter 2 where they use a lot of shortcuts to film the action, but I come to expect that, and it's still very cool regardless. I also appreciate how much smaller this film is compared to something like Avengers, or Batman v Superman.We're not always in the heart of a big city. I love a good CG rumble, with creatures filling up the entire screen, but sometimes a few guys with guns is all we need.

I could go on, but I'll close out by saying this is a well acted, well written, well directed tribute to the series that earns all of the big emotional moments it goes for. Like Deadpool, I was thrilled to see something that feels so separated from other comic book films, and even the franchises they're part of. I love an ongoing comic book series, but sometimes I just really want to read a good graphic novel in the middle of all of it. It's also a message that superhero movies can be something more than connected universes, and big visual wonders, by the series that started the whole superhero movie craze 17 years ago, funny enough. It proves that we come to see these movies not just for the spectacle, or the action, but for the character. It's all about the character.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
All About Eve (1950, J. L. Mankiewicz)

One of those classicals I should have already seen.

I had high expectations of this one, and even if didn't blow me away, I was certainly impressed with it.
The dialogue and direction are quite good, but this is mostly driven by the acting of the two leads, Bette Davies and Anne Baxter. Two incredibly strong presences on set, with very different styles and attractions that create an incredible dynamic. The inocence and sweetness of Baxter against the power and coldness of Davies is a mix that works amazingly well, and when they are on the same scene there's a balance that's not seen often.

The evolution of Eve as a character is quite interesting, first we feel sorry for her, then we have our doubts but we end up giving her the benefit of the doubt and finally we see her truly self and we hate it! That was really well managed by Baxter and the director!

I didn't quite like the last scene, though I understand its point. I just thought it needn't to be there.

+

Yellow Sky – 8/10

I'd seen a little of the film beforehand and what struck me immediately was the attention to detail in composing the shots. Great performances from Gregory Peck, Richard Widmark and Anne Baxter. It was also a surprise to discover where I'd seen John Russell before – as the villain in Pale Rider.

Blue Ruin

Absolutely brilliant... this is John Wick if John Wick was an inept drifter who breaks into peoples homes to take baths and doesn't expect to be alive when he's finished.. okay it's a lot more than that and there was nothing comical about lead actor who conveys different emotions so well.. .but it made me laugh when I was finding a poster for this, there was one John Wick poster amongst all the Blue Ruin posters and I was thinking I had made an absurd comparison. I liked this more than Wick though, I liked this a lot

4.5/5

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
X-Men: Apocalypse (2016)

Entertaining enough. Kept my interest. It was a good time. No complaints.

Palindromes (Solondz, 2004)

Solondz from the beginning has made a career out of refusing to cater to broad safe tastes. He shows us transgressive or evil characters, invites us to identify with their pathos, then shows us that despite our sympathy they're rotten anyway. You walk out of one of his films feeling like you've just failed a class in ethics, and wondering if in this baffling world anyone ever passes. - Ebert