Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Quills (Philip Kaufman, 2000)

This has been on my watchlist for ages, but with all the HoFs I haven't had much time to clear what's in line.
I didn't know anything about it, except it's the favourite of some people around here (Miss Vicky especially). It was surprising that it was about the Marquis de Sade.

The story is quite interesting and it managed to get me interested all the way through. The script is also very good, and Kaufman creates the perfect conditions for a bunch of great actors to shine! Geoffrey Rush, in particular, was stellar. His array of emotions is extraordinary, and the way he portraied the descent of his character from over the top lust to pure madness was astonishing! Phoenix and Michael Caine were also pretty good and the actresses chosen to play Maddie and Simone are incredibly sexy!
I liked the last 20 minutes above all, the pacing and tension were very well managed, and the ending has a certain fatality that I found very intriguing!

+

Logan (2017) -

They certainly made use of that R-rating.

Yes, there are worse X-Men movies out there, but Logan never managed to really grab me on any level. The major plot points failed to elicit any emotional response from me, and since the film relies heavily on its characters and their circumstances instead of on its action, it really fell flat for me.

On the plus side, it's much better than the last X-Men film to grace theatres.

Welcome to the human race...
Hmm, so far that's two people on here giving Logan
. Comparing it unfavourably against First Class means I'll even really hate it or really, really like it.

Last movie I watched...

Tracks -

A more tolerable Into the Wild.

Bernie (2011) 7/10
An unbelievable true story. Jack Black gives a great performance.

Freddy Got Fingered (2001) 7/10: A Hilarious shock jock Comedy that's defiantly not for everyone, You will ever love it or hate it. This Movie is a great piece of cinematic art that pushing the boundaries of filmmaking and features one of the most shocking and greatest scenes in cinematic history It's amazing this film was giving the green light. A classic Comedy.

Into The Forest (Patricia Rozema, 2015)

*inahles weed smoke* what if like *logs into tumblr* we uhhh *coughs* didn't even have cell phones *grows dreadlocks* like *receives bachelors in gender studies* us girls could totally survive *grows pit hair*

Sure, that's kind of brutal, but this movie legit stole the candy bar scene from Spongebob Squarepants and tried to give it emotional heft. The survival aspects are fun though. My biggest complaint is that it feels like the premise is just window dressing to suck you into a movie you wouldn't watch otherwise.

Welcome to the human race...
Dude, Where's My Car? -

Has aged pretty badly in some respects (especially the transsexual stripper sub-plot), but it's still got enough laughs and absurdity to not be completely terrible.

Oki's Movie (Hong Sang-soo, 2010)

My first Sang-soo feature. His writing is refreshingly natural and idiosyncratic. Every exchange feels effortless. The way that he's never afraid to go into the character's head for their thoughts is rather jarring but a welcome dimension. The four act structure is a bit rigid for my taste, but the hokey transitions are fun. I think he could have handled the reverse timeline a little more carefully for clarity's sake. Still, technical gripes are beside the point with something like this. It's earnest, vulnerable filmmaking. Quintessential cinema verite. Excited to see some of his more major works.

Legend in my own mind

Logan (2017) -

Yes, there are worse X-Men movies out there, but Logan never managed to really grab me on any level. The major plot points failed to elicit any emotional response from me, and since the film relies heavily on its characters and their circumstances instead of on its action, it really fell flat for me.

On the plus side, it's much better than the last X-Men film to grace theatres.
I am not angry with you, I am just disappointed with you

Logan (2017) -

glad I'm not the only one.

I'm afraid this movie has "Skyfall syndrome" and people have been really disappointed with the last outing(s) and then this one ends up actually not sucking really bad.

I wonder how many times I'm going to hear "oh look! They really went for it! It's bloody and violent and full of profanity and it's the Wolverine we always wanted!" Personally it takes more than a few (hundred) limps getting slashed for me to be impressed. By 1/3 I was already getting tired of seeing people being cut like a cake in different ways and Logan saying f*ck at least 8 times within the first 10 minutes of the movie.

I'm afraid this movie has "Skyfall syndrome" and people have been really disappointed with the last outing(s) and then this one ends up actually not sucking really bad.
The problem for me (despite the lack of investment in the characters that I mentioned already), was really that I expected more out of it. After Apocalypse, the next movie didn't need to be particularly good (like your mentioned "Skyfall syndrome"), yet it still managed to disappoint me.

I wonder how many times I'm going to hear "oh look! They really went for it! It's bloody and violent and full of profanity and it's the Wolverine we always wanted!" Personally it takes more than a few (hundred) limps getting slashed for me to be impressed. By 1/3 I was already getting tired of seeing people being cut like a cake in different ways and Logan saying f*ck at least 8 times within the first 10 minutes of the movie.
I didn't mind the violence at all, but things like random breasts for no reason seemed really out of place. It was funny to hear Patrick Stewart swear in the trailer, but I do think they overplayed it in the film. Language doesn't bother me in the slightest, but when characters who previously didn't have a foul mouth suddenly do, it just seems really strange and unnecessary.

Instead of "Skyfall syndrome", I think part of this film fell victim to "Deadpool syndrome".

Nocturnal Animals (2016, Tom Ford)

What I liked about this film is that it doesn't try to smack you over the head with a twist at the end to show you how smarter-than-thou it is. It simply tells a twofold story of a relationship shown through the prisms of two people - the scorner and the scorned. The 'book' storyline is at the core of the film, and it is mesmerising. Edge-of-the-seat material across the board. Jake Gyllenhaal and, particularly, Michael Shannon deliver fantastic performances, and the direction by Tom Ford is impeccable. I'm sure a lot of people probably expected more from the ending (and from the movie, in general) and thought it was too basic and obvious, but I liked it for its simplicity and effectiveness in tying the final loose ends together. Instead of resorting to some over-the-top “gotcha” trick, it simply lingered on Adams' character's face, and it said it all without saying too much.

Dat opening title sequence, though..

Unregistered User
why have I still not seen this.

I've been thinking about doing at least a week or two with a catch-up-on-overdue-films theme. I would only watch movies I've had on my watchlist for a long time or that are widely acclaimed but I still haven't seen. Maybe then I would finally feel a little more up to par.

MM you really should see this, I think you'd love it.

Operation Chromite
2/5
I would probably give Operation Chromite this same rating. I feel like it had potential. I like the character of the girl, Han Chae-seon. She stood out to me. Everything else is forgettable.

Unregistered User

Crimes and Misdemeanors (1989)

This is certainly the darkest of Woody Allen's work that I've seen so far. Also, the dialogue is frighteningly brilliant!!

+

Also;

The White Helmets (2016)

Oscar winning documentary short based on a group of volunteers in Syria who dedicate their lives to rescuing people from rubble cause by air strikes.

I would probably give Operation Chromite this same rating. I feel like it had potential. I like the character of the girl, Han Chae-seon. She stood out to me. Everything else is forgettable.
Yeah I was debating whether to give it a 3 but after consideration I thought a 2 was adequate, it wasn't terrible but... meh

LITERAL last movie? Due Date: 8/10.

Last movie I saw in theaters? John Wick Chapter 2: 10/10. Honestly, I had ZERO issues with that movie and found it to be the perfect kind of sequel: it improved upon the first one in EVERY area and only gave me more of what I loved. THIS is how you do sequels.

Legend in my own mind
glad I'm not the only one.

I understand your comments although I don't agree.. For me though it was a huge step up from the X men films, Iron man, Avengers, Thor etc which are all bang average (or worse) and follow more or less the same story every single time, and are just too nice. There were bits of this film that I didn't like but it kind of felt similar to the Dark Knight for me when I was like "Now that is Batman" and with this I was like "Now that is Wolverine".
Thought the young girl playing Laura was superb too,