The LEGO Batman Movie

Tools    

On one hand, The Lego Movie was great. On the other, MillLord have no involvement in this. I think it will be fun, but not as good as Lego Movie.

Some reviews are in. There's none under 4/5, and the highest is a 9/10.

I'm not surprised. It's going to be great. 3 DC movies coming out this year, and this is probably the only one that's going to be good. At least we have something to come back to after Justice League disappoints.

Buuuuuuut, we'll see, huh?

Having seen the movie in an advanced preview showing I can say that I really enjoyed the movie and would recommend that anyone who likes Batman and has a sense of humour will enjoy the film. You just need to find a young relative or friend kids to take with you as an excuse to watch it .

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
The Lego Batman Movie

"What's the password?"

"Iron man sucks."

This movie is awesome.

The fourth wall is broken from the start as Batman narrates the opening credits and logos. It's like Deadpool. But better. And instead of violence and swearing, there's Lego. There's as much for adults as kids in this. I laughed more than I've laughed at a film in a long time. The first ten minutes of this is a gloriously ridiculous action comedy set-piece. The film is stuffed with references to other Batman movies, superhero movies in general and cameos from other franchises. It also works well as a deconstruction of the whole idea of Batman, as the new police commissioner Barbara Gordon asks a room full of people why, despite having the heroic Batman, Gotham is still the most crime ridden city around and suggests that Batman work with the police force. Legally.

The lego itself is part of the story, not quite as much as with The Lego Movie, but it's still significant enough to justify it being a Lego movie. On on level it's still a kid friendly story about how it's better to have friends and family and work together, but on another level it's a riot of fun, an affectionate send-up of the superhero genre that still works as a superhero film in its own right.

The lego animation looks fantastic as well. Really good. And there's an incredible attention to detail in the backgrounds and small details, all of which make it feel like a quality product, not some hastily drawn fodder to keep kids quiet for two hours.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
This movie was hysterical, and with enough smart-ass dialogue and shoutouts to keep the parents happy. Normally I would roll my eyes having to go see one like this, but got to say, thoroughly enjoyed it.

Took my kids to see it on Sunday.

They enjoyed the flashy colours and slapstick, the various action scenes and dance numbers, but they were lost on most of the actual dialogue.
The jokes in the film are all references to other Batfilms and the 1966 series, and there's loads of references toward other movies as well... most of which are from the 1950s.
Anyone under the age of 25 will probably miss most of the references tbh.

I laughed my socks off when they do a reference to Adam West Batman and Batman says "We're going to hit these guys so hard it'll make words appear... out of thin air"
Even when the scene was actually playing out, pretty much everyone else in the cinema including my kids, had absolutely no idea what it was all about.
I was still laughing from Batman's line.

for kids
for adults and people who know movies

My kids got the refrences to the other Batman movies. You are right there are a ton of pop culture refrences. I found myself the only one in the theater laughing at least three timrs. I think there is more than enough for everyone though. I liked it but I still think my boys enjoyed it more than me.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I have heard people say that it is too much for adults and not enough for kids, but I don't agree; I think it works on multiple levels. My kids liked it because it's Lego, there's Batman, he fights bad guys and occasionally says something silly. And they loved the cameos from Harry Potter etc.