Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Split

(M. Night Shyamalan)

I get the feeling that Shyamalan wrote and directed this film, got it down to the 2 hour running time and screened it. Then the studio asked him; "Shyamalan, don't your movies always have twists? Why doesn't this film have a twist? I think this film needs a twist. Put a twist in". Then Shyamalan decides to tack some cheap ending onto an otherwise suspenseful film with a career performance from McAvoy. Now people might be upset that I said this film has a twist because saying that is in fact a spoiler. This spoils nothing. The so-called twist, if you even want to call it that, has nothing to do with the film and makes me question why the hell such a scene exists in this film to being with. Now...in saying all that. I honestly don't know if I hated it or loved it. I'm split.

I can make dad jokes like that now, give me a break.

McAvoy plays Dennis / Patricia / Hedwig / Kevin Wendell Crumb / Barry / Orwell / Jade...etc. He kidnaps three young girls and brings them to his lair. The girls are desperate to escape and try everything they can, but soon realize that their kidnaper is not all there. Each of his personalities have completely different conversations with them and himself. Can they escape before "he" arrives, a yet to be discovered 24th personality?

We can all agree that when the name M. Night Shyamalan is attached to a project, the groans, the eye rolling and the utter disinterest immediately hits you. Whatever goodwill he did with his first three films seems to have been completely destroyed with The Happening, Last Airbender and After Earth. A low budget horror flick came out recently, from Shyamalan, and people were surprised at how not terrible it was. The Visit was a found footage film and Shyamalan managed to use it to pretty good results. Now he Split, a suspense thriller that boarders body horror and I think it's another hit.

The film relies, heavily, on James McCoy's performance and I'm glad to say it's really strong. He's able to snake his way in and out of the vastly different personalities on a whim and each one is as believable as the last. He gives 100% in his performance here, being terrifying, funny and sad at any moment. Anya Taylor-Joy is the 'lead' girl out of the three, we are given snippets of a backstory through some flashbacks. She's damaged and fits the victim role perfectly. The problem is that we've seen it all before, trouble girl is trapped and has to muster the strength to fight back.

Split was really fun and tense. I'd love to see Shyamalan stick to this genre and stay away from big budgets. The run time might work against the film, it runs two hours and can easily lose some material, but as a whole this film worked for me.

Suspect's Reviews

Let the night air cool you off
I'm the guy with a reputation for being one of the harshest reviewers on here and I gave xXx 3 a
. If people seriously think I don't have a sense of humour, that's on them.
It would help if when someone says you don't have a sense of humor you didn't take it so seriously

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
I'm the guy with a reputation for being one of the harshest reviewers on here and I gave xXx 3 a
. If people seriously think I don't have a sense of humour, that's on them.
It would help if when someone says you don't have a sense of humor you didn't take it so seriously
Rolled hahaha

Welcome to the human race...
Why?

Now people might be upset that I said this film has a twist because saying that is in fact a spoiler. This spoils nothing. The so-called twist, if you even want to call it that, has nothing to do with the film and makes me question why the hell such a scene exists in this film to being with.
I thought that final scene was really stupid. My room mate, however, loved it and was freaking out about it the entire way home. I have lightened up very slightly to the idea, but still think it wasn't a good choice.

WARNING: "Split (2017) Final Scene" spoilers below
As soon as the film was over I thought, wow, Shyamalan, why did you have to try and drag this film down into the Unbreakable universe? I had rewatched that film last year and really didn't like it. Upon reflection, instead of dragging Split down into world of Unbreakable, it kind of lifts Unbreakable up into the realm of Split.

WARNING: "The other film mentioned in the above spoilers" spoilers below
What that means is that Unbreakable loses the nonsensical "balancing of the scales" that Samuel L. Jackson's character believed in. He didn't need to be a super villain in order to create a super hero. He was fragile only because he truly believed himself to be, and Bruce Willis was unbreakable for the same reason. Willis' weakness to water also only occurs because he had been convinced it existed. I like that concept a lot more than what was in the actual film.

The problem is that the revelation (if we want to call it that) at the end of Split is not going to work for audiences who haven't seen or who don't remember Unbreakable. On my way out of the theatre, a number of people were commenting to each other that they didn't know who Mr. Glass was, and were thus confused and underwhelmed at the ending. The whole thing really felt like a Marvel mid-credits scene. Does that mean we'll be seeing more stuff like this in his future films? I find the fact that there is now a shared Shyamalan universe to be really hilarious (in a bad way) as well.

WARNING: "Split Final Scene" spoilers below
Apparently Shyamalan had Kevin in the original script of Unbreakable. He has talked about how he fit into the script, but he was taken out of it for some reasons I can't remember. Just saying, love it or hate it, it's not an afterthought.

WARNING: "Split Final Scene" spoilers below
Apparently Shyamalan had Kevin in the original script of Unbreakable. He has talked about how he fit into the script, but he was taken out of it for some reasons I can't remember. Just saying, love it or hate it, it's not an afterthought.
Yeah, my room mate said the same thing. A reviewer he watches went to a screening that had a discussion with Shyamalan himself afterwards, which is where that information was relayed from.

I didn't like Unbreakable nearly as much as Split, so I'm glad Split got turned into a technically separate film.

Me and my room mate were joking that this means that Unbreakable 2 is confirmed. As much as I hated Unbreakable when I watched it again, I'd watch the sequel if McAvoy was in it.

What Have You Done to Solange? (1972)

I don't know who posted about it before, but it looked interesting so I gave it a viewing.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
The War at Home (1996, 1st rewatch)

Another film I watch purely for the acting. It's a good reminder, that you don't have to be a war veteran, for your family to drive you up the wall. There are PTSD themes throughout the movie. Estevez directs.

The War at Home (1996, 1st rewatch)

Another film I watch purely for the acting. It's a good reminder, that you don't have to be a war veteran, for your family to drive you up the wall. There are PTSD themes throughout the movie. Estevez directs.
Would you say Estevez's directing lowered the rating for you?

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
No, I like Estevez and M.Sheen. I'd say the melodrama feel in this movie comes across like a mixture of a quality soap opera and a quality TV movie, but, with a decent soundtrack. The rating is lower, because I normally don't like soaps or TV movies.

'Manchester by the Sea' is one of the greatest films of the decade.

There. That's my review. I need a saline drip now, - to replace the saltwater I just lost through my face.

End.

------------------------------------------------------

What Have You Done to Solange? (1972) - I don't know who posted about it before, but it looked interesting so I gave it a viewing.
Moi, moi did.

DEEP THROAT (1972)

A deeply educational and inspiring picture. You don't see true works of art like this anymore. The acting, the story, the cinematography–just breathtaking