The 12th Hall of Fame

Tools    

Tyler isn't here! Tyler went away! Tyler's gone!
Withnail & I

As i said i was really glad this was nominated since i've heard nothing but good things and it is one of the few i have left on the MoFo 100 list. I've heard of this alot but never really been sure what it was about exactly, all i really knew was that it is British, it stars Richard E Grant who is a guy that is sometimes on panel shows over here and that it is supposed to have a really good script. That i'd definitely agree with; it was nuts how many lines i'd heard before i think it is a highly quoted film here as i know i had heard some of it before. It's hilarious at times, Withnail in particular he's constantly drunk and ill and annoyed, a real grumpy a-hole character but he is a joy to watch anyway. I is comparatively soft-spoken and generally more normal and likable. They had great chemistry but i'm still not sure why they were friends exactly, it felt like it was for survival more than anything since they were two poor, messed up losers. I thought the first half hour was just okay, it really picks up when they get to the countryside. Being from London they obviously aren't used to the country lifem and they clash with the locals and get it various crazy situations that they can barely handle. One of my favourite parts was when Withnail was terrified that the guy in the pub was coming to kill them, attempting to sleep with I with a shotgun in hand . Withnails reaction when it turned out to be Monty killed me. Speaking of Monty he was pretty great too, i loved his interactions with I who was clearly terrified of him. Jesus that "i know you're not asleep boy" scene haha. Really liked the ending, it was weirdly sad. Really enjoyed the music and the simple look of the film too.

Good nom Neiba i really enjoyed this. Going to watch Hiroshima Mon Amour and maybe something else tomorrow.
How did you watch it, if you don't mind me asking?

Y tu mama tambien/ And your mother too
spoilers

I was the most excited about this one as its one that i`ve wanted to see for a while.. (i havent been able to find it years and Cricket finds it in like 2 min smh )
With Diego Luna and Gael Garcia Bernal as 2/3 of the cast it must be good. I did really like it,but not as much as i thought i would-i do however think i would have loved it had i seen it a couple of years ago. It is a bit of coming of age story and maybe that doesnt resonate aswell with me anymore.I thought the acting was great,i love the normal clothing,no overdone lighting or colouring,all in all very natural,like i like it!
Luisita,sometimes she didnt look all that much older than them but then sometimes she looked alot older than them-which felt a bit creepy.I dont know if her age was ever revealed but if it was i missed it.I also found it a bit strange they wanted to have sex with their cousins girlfriend, different social codes for different places maybe- but i wouldnt go out with someone who had gone out with someone i only knew by polite small talk even. Also the way they speak is alot more free than here lmfao
I first thought the things being said about the girlfriends was because Gael saw them together and wanted to get even,which i guess is what he did,but i thought he lied about it. I was a bit disappointed by them treating eachother so badly. But my favourite scenes were the arguments about it-also the last night they went out together because that kiss...I genuinely went WHATDA#"¤%¤ and it felt akward,which is what made the next scene amazing. i could really feel the morning-after-anxiety But it was a really nice scene nonetheless... my problem is that im not sure what it is im supposed to be taking away from it? drunken fun/mistakes/something that was lurking beneath the surface?

Romper Stomper
Spoiler Alert!

I mainly joined this competition to watch new movies and expand my horizon of genres I wouldn't normally watch. Having said that, I was looking forward to this film because I had never heard of it before today.

Romper Stomper is an Australian drama directed by Geoffrey Wright. The film mainly focuses on Hando and his merry band of neo-nazis who parade around Melbourne like they own the place, harassing and beating any Vietnamese-Australian they come across. At the beginning of the film Hando meets Gabrielle the day after her father had her junkie boyfriend thrown in jail. They show the group partying it up like a bunch of unneutered, barbaric mongrels, who only know how to party, f***, fight and live in squalor. After harassing the Vietnamese enough, they decide to fight back to the point where they are overrun and their "Base" is destroyed and half their comrades are put in the hospital. They eventually find a new "Base" by overrunning an abandoned warehouse. Throughout the rest of the movie, it shows Hando and his relationship with Gabrielle and his best friend Davey fall apart due to his unpredictable behavior and his seriousness to the "Cause". Overall, I found the movie to be intense and reminded me of A Clockwork Orange but in 1980 even though the film was shot in 1992.

Just got home and had a look. Interesting mix. I've only seen three of them before, including my own nom and I plan to rewatch them.

Barbara
(Christian Petzold, 2012)
Nominated by CosmicRunaway
Source: Library
Initial Thoughts: No idea what to expect from this.
Review: January 15, 2017
Rating:
+

Casablanca
(Michael Curtiz, 1942)
Nominated by Jiraffejustin
Source: library
Initial Thoughts: I saw this movie once before and really enjoyed it. I expect I'll like it again.
Review: February 15, 2017
Rating:
-

The City of Lost Children
(Jean-Pierre Jeunet and Marc Caro, 1995)
Nominated by Clazor
Initial Thoughts: No idea what to expect
Review: February 2, 2017
Rating:
+

The Grand Budapest Hotel
(Wes Anderson, 2014)
Nominated by Edarsenal
Source: Amazon
Initial Thoughts: Wes Anderson AGAIN?!
Review: January 12, 2017
Rating:
-

Hiroshima Mon Amour
(Alain Resnais, 1959)
Nominated by Pussy Galore
Source: Amazon
Review: February 21, 2017
Rating:
-

Joe
(John G. Avildsen, 1970)
Nominated by Cricket
Source: youtube
Review: February 4, 2017
Rating:

The Man From Nowhere
(Jeong-Beom Lee, 2010)
Nominated by RoyalWitCheese
Review: January 24, 2017
Rating:
+

Midnight Run
(Martin Brest, 1988)
Nominated by SilentVamp
Review: February 18, 2017
Rating:
-

Never Let Me Go
(Mark Romanek, 2010)
Nominated by Citizen Rules
Review: February 9, 2017
Rating:
-

Romper Stomper
(Geoffrey Wright, 1992)
Nominated by Miss Vicky
Source: My DVD collection
Initial Thoughts: Obviously I love this movie. Such an intense performance from Crowe and he's weirdly sexy as a skinhead.
Review: January 13, 2017
Rating:
+

Sanshiro Sugata
(Akira Kurosawa, 1943)
Nominated by Nope
Source: DailyMotion
Initial Thoughts: I don't think I've even heard of this, but it's Kurosawa so I have high expectations.
Review: February 25, 2017
Rating:
-

U-Turn
(Oliver Stone, 1997)
Nominated by Topsy
Source: My DVD Collection
Initial Thoughts: One of my favorite movies featuring one of my favorite Joaquin Phoenix performances.
Review: January 9, 2017
Rating:
+

Withnail & I
(Bruce Robinson, 1987)
Nominated by Neiba
Initial Thoughts: I've been meaning to watch this for years.
Review: January 21, 2017
Rating:

Y Tu Mamá También
(Alfonso Cauron, 2001)
Nominated by Camo
Source: Netflix
Review: January 8, 2017
Rating:

Barbara
(2012)
Dir. Christian Petzold
Starring: Nina Hoss, Ronald Zehrfeld, Rainer Bock

Barbara is a very restrained and quiet drama set in 1980 East Germany that focuses on atmosphere to tell a fictional yet authentic feeling story about one woman's experience in a closely monitored police state where neighbours, co-workers, and even family members kept a close eye on each other to inform on any potential defectors or Western influences.

The film revolves around the titular character, Barbara, who is removed from her position in a prestigious East Berlin hospital and relocated to a rural town on the Baltic Sea as punishment for filing an Exit Visa. Barbara wishes to distance herself from her new peers partly in fear that they'll inform on her to the Stasi, who are already monitoring her closely, but also because she doesn't want to become attached to the people she intends to leave behind as she carefully plans an escape to West Germany.

Mistrust and paranoia seem to permeate the screen, and in my opinion it's much more effective and credible than the more popular and acclaimed The Lives of Others (2006). Unlike that film, Barbara is not concerned with focusing on the morality of the oppressive state or with the circumstances surrounding the privileged few, but rather with the lives of normal citizens and their everyday struggles.

This film probably won't interest everyone, but I'm still looking forward to reading what everyone thinks about it and its cinematography, which I'll wait for more people to see before I talk about it in depth.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Barbara.jpg
Views:	534
Size:	261.1 KB
ID:	28377  

Damn you people are on a roll already.

I'll be spending a good part of the day finally taking down the Christmas decorations, but if I have time I'll try to get one watched today.

The Grand Budapest Hotel

To tell you the truth, The Grand Budapest Hotel was not one of the movies I was looking forward to, due to having seen it once before all the way through and here and there as I flipped through channels indecisively looking for a film to appeal to me.

The Grand Budapest Hotel is a 2014 Adventure Comedy film written and directed by Wes Anderson set in the town of Nebelsbad in the Republic of Zubrowka (A Fictional Town in Europe somewhere). Through the entirety of the film, I always found myself, gazing with a ****-eating grin on my face due to the lack of plot but what was made up with beautifully set scenes, an amazing cast I haven't seen in years, Ralph Fiennes (one of my favorite actors who I don't get to see in films enough) and a script that has you in a trans due to the elegant vocabulary and witty conversation of the uniquely chosen characters. At the beginning of the film you are introduced to a narrator who is telling a story and then hands the reigns over to another narrator who he met in a past to tell a story about the new narrator's past. Once the introduction of the narrator is finally over, you are introduced to M. Gustave (played by Ralph Fiennes), a concierge of the hotel and Zero (played by Tony Revolori), a newly appointed Lobby Boy in training. At first you are introduced to both of their rolls in the Hotel and learn quickly that M. Gustave is probably the best concierge of all time but does this by preying on senile old woman by performing various sexual acts for their pleasure (even by the end of the film, I wasn't sure if Gustave did this to be manipulative or just because he liked 90 year old woman). For the rest of the film you are taken on a fast paced adventure of indecisive decisions, quirky, yet, quick witted conversation and watch strangers grow a relationship into a strong bond. Overall, I thought the film had a horrible plot but was made up with everything else due to Wes Anderson (one of the last directors of our time that has complete creative control of his films) and Ralph Fiennes witty dialogue.

Damn you people are on a roll already.

I'll be spending a good part of the day finally taking down the Christmas decorations, but if I have time I'll try to get one watched today.
Yeah, it snowed here and I don't feel like going outside or driving.... so.....

The comparison of Romper Stomper to A Clockwork Orange is a good one. I don't think that ever occurred to me.

Barbara could be one of the few foreign films I can get my wife to watch. I also wasn't crazy about The Lives of Others, although I thought it was a solid film.

I didn't want to see The Grand Budapest Hotel, and only watched it due to all the praise it was getting here. It was a nice surprise and I think I'll like it even more this time.

We got at least a foot of snow. I went out last night in it to get pizza and coffee, but I drive in anything. All my shoveling is now done and the driveway plowed.

We got at least a foot of snow. I went out last night in it to get pizza and coffee, but I drive in anything. All my shoveling is now done and the driveway plowed.

Yeah, I went out every four inches, so the shoveling was pretty easy...

We don't get snow like you do in boston. a few years ago I remember that huge storm boston got. What was it, something like 5 ft and no where to put the snow because its a city

Where you from Royale? If you don't mind answering obviously.