1940's Hall Of Fame Part I

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I WAS gonna chime in on this but then you mentioned my nom so. . . you're ABSOLUTELY correct, clazor!!!

I think CR states the main reason; it IS a movie of Laura along with a character study of those around her and the mystery DOES come secondary. It is easy to guess the killer, though I'm sure in it's day Price's "red herring" kept many a movie-goer a-wondering.
Along with that there is some truly excellent dialogue, and for me that really makes a difference.

I do have a very long-time love for the movie so that may cause some bias for me though even on my recent watch still found myself loving this movie. so. . .

oh, and regarding the dialogue in Waterloo Bridge regarding life there was a lot of strong, positive messages even from those who's life was so hard. There was some great remarks made by a number of secondary characters and some very wonderful surprises when it came to their outlook on both life AND regarding Leigh's character. It would have been so easy to dismiss or be haughty about Taylor marrying "commonly" making the ending even more tragic. That the ones who would TRULY matter still thought very much of her.

The Suspect
(1944)
Dir. Robert Siodmak
Starring: Charles Laughton, Ella Raines, Stanley Ridges

The Suspect was very subdued and elegant, with great acting across the board. Charles Laughton in particular was very enjoyable to watch and to listen to. His character, Philip Marshall, was likeable and quite sympathetic, as he had suffered through a loveless, abusive marriage for years. You really want him to be happy, for his wife to get what she deserves.

I liked that not all the questions were answered at the end of the film, with the ending being left open and a little vague. I also appreciated the shorter runtime. Even though I enjoyed what I saw, I think stretching it out any further would've been a disservice.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Suspect.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	28170  

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
SPOILERS for Laura

But the movie's main focus is on a character study of how Laura impacts the men around her. Shes this luminous beauty with je ne sais quoi, that make men madly fall for her. She can transform the men around her just with her sheer looks alone in the case of Dana Andrews. Each of the three men in the story are deeply effected by her, she's a muse that drives them to action and that's what the film focuses on...Laura.
But then it's not about Laura, really. The story centers around the effect she has on the men, rather than it being her story. As far as I can recall, we hear little from Laura concerning her own situation. It's Waldo who does most of the talking, and it's through him we get a sense for who Laura is. What we get are his assumptions, his conclusions as to what she thinks, how she feels. Laura gets little room to give an account of herself, and what we experience is not her story, but the tale of a woman with, as you say, je ne sais quoi and the effect that has on the men in her life. Of said woman we hear prescious little. It's the mens' story of how they're effected, not Laura's story of how she affects. You say as much in the above quote, but your conclusion's faulty. I'd say a more correct summation of the storys plot is that it's a study of want from three different points of view; one of want pushing a subject to destruction, one of passing want, soon forgotten and passed up for a different one, and finally the third one; one with an unsure outcome, as the story ends before discovering if the feeling of want is reciprocated in kind. Officer McPherson seems to have fallen for Laura, but we don't know if the feeling could be mutual, as we never hear Laura's thoughts on the matter. The movie ends with the death of Waldo and the matter's yet undecided.

But aside from that, I concede your point that the movie's main focus does not lie in the murder mystery, but rather in the study of the characters. As such, I've already said I enjoyed it, and might be persuaded to rethink my position. I just wish that they could've put a little more effort in that regard. But then less focus would've been exerted on the main point, so let's go for that they chose wisley where to put the effort.

SPOILERS for Laura

But then it's not about Laura, really. The story centers around the effect she has on the men, rather than it being her story. (I agree, that's more or As far as I can recall, we hear little from Laura concerning her own situation. It's Waldo who does most of the talking, and it's through him we get a sense for who Laura is. What we get are his assumptions, his conclusions as to what she thinks, how she feels. Laura gets little room to give an account of herself, and what we experience is not her story, but the tale of a woman with, as you say, je ne sais quoi and the effect that has on the men in her life. Of said woman we hear prescious little. It's the mens' story of how they're effected, not Laura's story of how she affects. You say as much in the above quote, but your conclusion's faulty. I'd say a more correct summation of the storys plot is that it's a study of want from three different points of view; one of want pushing a subject to destruction, one of passing want, soon forgotten and passed up for a different one, and finally the third one; one with an unsure outcome, as the story ends before discovering if the feeling of want is reciprocated in kind. Officer McPherson seems to have fallen for Laura, but we don't know if the feeling could be mutual, as we never hear Laura's thoughts on the matter. The movie ends with the death of Waldo and the matter's yet undecided.

But aside from that, I concede your point that the movie's main focus does not lie in the murder mystery, but rather in the study of the characters. As such, I've already said I enjoyed it, and might be persuaded to rethink my position. I just wish that they could've put a little more effort in that regard. But then less focus would've been exerted on the main point, so let's go for that they chose wisley where to put the effort.
Sorry if I didn't word my post well. I sometimes have a hard time with sentence structure. Yes I agree with you (and that's what I was trying to say) that it's the story of Laura and how she effects three men. But yes we don't really know anything directly about Laura only how Waldo and Shelby view her and how the detective is moved by her mere image in a portrait . And I think that makes the movie special. But it's not really a murder mystery per say, at least in my mind. I think all the nominations have had very special elements in them.

very happy to hear you enjoyed Suspect, Cosmic. Elegant is a very apt description and while there are things I would have liked to know further of, but, yes, a longer version would be a disservice.

Shadow of a Doubt
(1943)
Dir. Alfred Hitchcock
Starring: Teresa Wright, Joseph Cotten, Patricia Collinge

I'd seen this movie ages ago, but didn't remember much about it. I'm glad this HoF gave me an excuse to watch it again. It seems like a lot of thrillers I've seen lately can't quite master suspense, so it's refreshing to see a film that knows how to do it right. I really liked the slower pace, and what I'm going to describe as the feeling of a noir but without the usual noir imagery, if that makes sense.

Shadow of a Doubt had really good performances. The kids were a bit grating at times, but that's usually the case with child actors (and children in general) so it doesn't bother me very much. All of the characters, even minor ones, were well developed. I really enjoyed the scenes where the father and his friend jokingly plotted to kill other, as they provided a bit of black humour that sort of emphasized how oblivious everyone but young Charlie and the Detectives were to Uncle Charlie's darker side.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shadow.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	28176  

good write up. There was a very good build up of tension to this one. And I enjoyed the neighbor and father talking about killing each other and getting away with it as well.

Thanks. I feel like I haven't said much about the films I've watched lately, but then again not every write-up needs to be 1000 words. And I just realized how little I wrote about The Suspect. I swear it looked longer last night haha.

I went back and read through everyone else's reviews of those films, but didn't really have anything to comment on. Replying to an old post just with something like "I agree" seems a bit pointless haha.

Not sure what I want to watch next. Maybe Little Foxes.

Thanks. I feel like I haven't said much about the films I've watched lately, but then again not every write-up needs to be 1000 words...
I like what you're writing, clear and to the point Sometimes I feel I write way too much. I have one more write up to do and it's your movie. I'll do it now

Murderers Among Us (1946)
Die Mörder sind unter uns (original title)

I was very impressed with this nomination. A movie made by a German director in Soviet controlled Berlin 1945, right after the war. This is the closest I've seen in a movie to what the actual conditions must have been like in bombed out wartime Berlin. That photo! that's not done in a studio, that's the guts of bombed out buildings where untold 10,000s of civilians died. If only those ghost could speak what tales could they tell.

I was impressed by the skill of the film making and the cinematography. I guess I was expecting almost a homemade movie look, as this was done post war and I didn't expect them to have the resources to make the film look so stunningly beautiful. And it is beauty, in it's austere tone. Of course we're talking about a German director who was well versed in German Expressionism. Here you can see where American directors drew their inspiration for the dark and shadowy Film Noirs of the 1940s-50s.

I liked the story narrative it was effective, easy to understand and follow with its strong human emotions, that anyone could relate to. I thought the actors were all quite good and seemed genuine. The operation scene on the little girl who's laying choking in the bombed out ruins, was powerful, her poor panicked mother made it all the more so. That scene really drove home the desperation that the people faced after the war, many scenes made that point.

A very impressive movie that I liked a lot...and yet I didn't understand a word of it!...as I could only watch the German language version with no subtitles...and I don't speak German.

Great write-up, CR!
I was impressed by the skill of the film making and the cinematography. I guess I was expecting almost a homemade movie look, as this was done post war and I didn't expect them to have the resources to make the film look so stunningly beautiful.
The lack of resources is actually one of the reasons why the director fell back on Expressionism (I already mentioned the other reason awhile ago - wanting to distance themselves from Nazi filmmaking and to make people remember the glory days of German Cinema). It required a lot of technical skill, but not much in the way of extra materials.

Here you can see where American directors drew their inspiration for the dark and shadowy Film Noirs of the 1940s-50s.
The basis in German Expressionism is precisely why I tend to like film noirs so much.

A very impressive movie that I liked a lot...and yet I didn't understand a word of it!...as I could only watch the German language version with no subtitles...and I don't speak German.
I'm glad you were still able to enjoy it given the circumstances! The film succeeds most with its visuals anyway, and they are the main reason why I felt compelled to nominate it. I imagine that the main story is pretty easy to gleam on its own, because it's fairly typical.

Did you read a plot synopsis on Wikipedia or anything, to fill in the gaps with what you couldn't gather from context?

Did you read a plot synopsis on Wikipedia or anything, to fill in the gaps with what you couldn't gather from context?
Yes I did, I read the entire plot overview at Wikipedia. It really helped as I knew who each of the characters were and what they were going to do. Very cool nom, Cosmic

I'm done watching the movies, but I'll hang out here as I love to talk about any of the films for fun.

I usually take a smoke break halfway through watching a movie, and sometimes I'll read wiki's synopsis up to the point where I am. I'll do this with a movie that I feel I may have missed something, and sometimes I'll rewind if I did.

I could see how that would help, I also use the rewind if I think I didn't understand a scene (or the cat was standing in front of the TV! which he does a lot...erggh!)

Then usually at the end of the night I go to IMDB and read the trivia on the movie and sometimes Wiki too.

great review, CR and SERIOUS reps for watching without subtitles!! That is an impressive endeavor!

I'm looking forward to seeing this movie. I have this,Pursued, which I have a copy of from the library and then Rope, which is a rewatch for me to go.

For me, if I'm online I'll stop and go to IMDB to see about an actor that looks familiar or, if watching TV wait til the following day since normally, TV time is after midnight when I get home from work.

Nah, Destiny hasn't started, Neiba has watched one and Daniel has watched two. Going by their write-ups at least.
No, I said in my last post that I've watched Laura and Shadow of a Doubt. I've seen Rope. It was early this year. I love it a lot, and I want to watch it again. I've also seen Fantasia, but that's been quite awhile ago. I have to watch it again.

The last week of this month is when I'll write up about those two.

....The basis in German Expressionism is precisely why I tend to like film noirs so much.
Oh cool another film noir fan. Have you seen many? What are your favorites?

I'm trying to decide what movie I will pick for the upcoming 12th HoF, and I have a few film noirs on my short list.