The Election News and Predictions Thread

Tools    

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Morning after thoughts:

I do disagree with one thing I've been saying, calling us a joke of a country with who is leading it. It isn't about who's leading it. It's about us being UNITED. We may not all agree on the same issues, but we need to come together.

Morning after thoughts:

I do disagree with one thing I've been saying, calling us a joke of a country with who is leading it. It isn't about who's leading it. It's about us being UNITED. We may not all agree on the same issues, but we need to come together.
Yeah, agreed. If this election has taught me anything it's how important it is we all work together.

The results brought home my main and final point, really
Your "main point" wasn't even really something most of us disagreed with. We just had lots of other points, none of which were addressed by you or this result.

The Democrats have no one to blame but themselves though, for letting such a disliked person be their primary candidate. Hilary was so blind with two things I think.

1: She wanted desperately to be the first female president.

2: She was going up against Trump.

Two things that blinded her from the issues of what it took to be President. Trump had a clear message and slogan, Hilary did not. She should have put her own ego aside and let the man who could actual do good run for President. Then this could have been totally different and I think it would have.
Yeah, I'm gonna dig more into the numbers, but right now it looks fairly clear that this was much more a rejection of Hillary than an embrace of Trump.

A handful of people in this thread have said some version of "America sucks" or "thanks a lot, red states." But the Democrats nominated someone with super high unfavorables who was under FBI investigation. They should probably have a little self-reflection about the inherent arrogance of a Clinton nomination. These results suggest she might have been doomed from the start.

I wish there was a way that Ignore User blocked out when other people quote them too. Had to put 3 more on the list this morning. Edit in - make that 4 more on IU now

Wont be posting on politics anymore. Why? Just to twist the knife in myself? Hell nobody listened anyway.

4 more years of this.

I really don't get any of the "logic" from the Trump supporters in this thread. I sympathize now more than ever with Yoda.
The logic is "he won, so now all those lies magically never happened," I guess? It's really not that much worse or different from "Hillary is bad/I think you're unfair, so now all those lies magically never happened."

Long-term, I'm more worried about the complete breakdown of rational discourse than I am about the result itself.

A handful of people in this thread have said some version of "America sucks" or "thanks a lot, red states." But the Democrats just nominated someone super high unfavorables who was under FBI investigation.
And now the country just elected a dangerous, hate-filled buffoon with zero political experience to the highest office in the land and some people are actually celebrating that. Only, it wasn't me nor the majority of the voters in my area that made that happen.

I don't like Clinton, but the reality is that with our system as messed up as it is and our politicians as two-faced as they are, I've never actually voted for someone to be president. It's always been a vote against someone else.

The People's Republic of Clogher
A brash celebrity billionaire beats an unpopular career politician. That's what happened.

Looks like she won the popular vote, the one that should count

Clinton 59,385,603
Trump 59,213,188

...congrats on a Reality Sexual Assault President.
It's fitting! In America that's considered a compliment (laughing at Trump)

Looks like she won the popular vote, the one that should count

Clinton 59,385,603
Trump 59,213,188
Exactly, I said earlier that one person, one vote is fair, the electoral collage is a hold out from dinosaur days and needs to be eliminated. But it won't because in recent times it helps elect Republicans over Democrats (the other time was Gore -Bush election)

Some decent arguments can be made against the Electoral College. But it's annoying to see a lot of people suggest no good ones can be made for it. It has obvious benefits, and it's clear that most of the people who don't like it have essentially forgotten (if they ever knew) just what "United States" was really supposed to mean.

The problem is that people think of the U.S. as just one place. But it's not just one place chopped up into arbitrary sections: it's supposed to be lots of little mini-countries with some umbrella policies over them. When you remember (or realize) that, it makes perfect sense that we have a mechanism that equalizes their standing somewhat and forces the President to appeal to a broad cross-section of them, rather than just campaigning in high-population areas and only catering to their concerns.

Think of it more like the United Nations: every country gets one vote, because the whole point is to create a place where everyone's concerns are, at least theoretically, given the same kind of hearing. Since American states are not quite as independent from one another as nation states, the Electoral College splits the difference by equalizing some, but still weighting for population. It's a pretty ingenuous compromise, really, but admittedly one that only makes sense if you remember the original point of the system and actually, you know, value Federalism rather than centralized power.

I'm sure if Clinton won the electoral vote but Trump won the popular vote, then that would be the one that should count
You're wrong...My own personal belief has been for decades that the electoral college is a hold out from the U.S. distant past, when people could not readily travel to towns to vote, so a 'delegate/represented vote was needed. It's not needed now. AND I did say as much earlier in this thread...and... while it still looked like Hillary was favored to win:

Regardless of who wins, the outdated electoral college needs to go! Popular vote alone should decide.
In fact you already know this as you posted this right after my post:

Clinton now 44-31 ahead overall.

Sorry CR, I wasn't referring to you and I know you have been consistent and not really favoured either candidate throughout.
No I never agreed with the electorial process either. It takes away the decision from the majority of the citizens of The United States.