The MoFo Top 100 Action Movie Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Charlie's Angels says what?
At least he doesn't claim to watch it for the characters.

I like Aliens a lot as an action/suspense film, but I completely agree with Honeykid about the depth of its characters.

Welcome to the human race...
Had wondered that too. And for what it suggests about Fury Road. There's undoubtedly residual system shock, I would bet both movies would slide down the list even a year from now.
Probably. It's interesting to see how so many of the opinions about The Dark Knight expressed in this thread run along the lines of "Ledger is good, the rest not so much" to some degree or another yet it still managed to crack the top 10. Fury Road is kind of an antithesis in that it doesn't really have any performances that come across as instantly iconic but it manages to make them blend in with the action side of things much more organically. By that token, I think you could argue for Dark Knight being relatively weak from a purely action-based standpoint.

I still think Any Alien movies belongs more in sci fi Drama well least the first two. I mean compared to other sci fi films. I think Alien and Aliens kinda are less action compared too a Terminator or even a Predator movie. Id even call the Alien movies sci fi horror.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Aliens (1986) - I can appreciate the Alien movies for the sci-fi and suspense parts of them, but they're too close to horror for my taste, so they're not among my favorite movies.

Mad Max: Fury Road (2015) - I didn't like this movie at all, but I haven't seen any of the other Mad Max movies, so I don't know if maybe it would have made a difference if I had seen the earlier movies before seeing this movie.

Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) - Raiders was #1 on my list. It reminds me of the old movie serials that keep you on the edge of your seat.

The Matrix (1999) - I haven't watched any of the Matrix movies in years, but I remember being impressed with the visuals, but not so much by the story.

Honorable Mentions:
The Boondock Saints (1999) - Haven't seen it.
Ghost in the Shell (1995) - Haven't seen it.

At least he doesn't claim to watch it for the characters.
If they're not "characters", what do you call them? Breasts?

Probably. It's interesting to see how so many of the opinions about The Dark Knight expressed in this thread run along the lines of "Ledger is good, the rest not so much" to some degree or another yet it still managed to crack the top 10. Fury Road is kind of an antithesis in that it doesn't really have any performances that come across as instantly iconic but it manages to make them blend in with the action side of things much more organically. By that token, I think you could argue for Dark Knight being relatively weak from a purely action-based standpoint.
Definitely.

Die Hard was my #3, it definitely deserved to win. Didn't vote for T2, like it alot though.

01.Once Upon A Time In The West
02.Seven Samurai
03.Die Hard
04.The Wild Bunch
05.The Dark Knight
06.Empire Strikes Back
07.Star Wars
08.The Bridge On The River Kwai
09.Temple of Doom
10.Hero (2002)
11.From Russia With Love
12.The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
13.For A Few Dollars More
14.Shogun Assassin
15.Leon
16.Oldboy
17.Raiders of the Lost Ark
18.Heat
19.The Terminator
20.First Blood
21.Ong-Bak
22.Predator
23.Once Upon A Time In China
24.Enter the Dragon
25.Robocop

Great job Omni. Obviously i had problems with this countdown that i still stick by but you were a great host

I think everyone expected these films to be at the top of the countdown. I had Terminator 2 at #8 (it's my favourite of that franchise, but the first film is not far behind at all), and Die Hard at #16. 16 might seem low, but I watch that film literally every December, and it's starting to wear a little thin. Still a great action flick though.

And amazing job with the countdown, Omni! Your presentation was really good.

Final tally:
Seen: 92/100
My List: 18/25
+3 honourable mentions

01. Dredd (2012) #41
02. The Road Warrior (1981) #12
03. Edge of Tomorrow (2014) #57
04. Lethal Weapon 2 (1989) #83
05. District B13 (2004) - Maybe I should've promoted this in the thread or something?

06. Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol (2011) #47
07. Kingsman: The Secret Service (2014) #68
08. Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991) #2
09. Hot Fuzz (2007) #42
10. The Transporter (2002) - I'm surprised this didn't get an honourable mention. Even if the sequels and remake were garbage, the first one is still pretty good.

11. White House Down (2013) - I never expected this to make the countdown. I should've put it at #25 so it could be on the one pointers list (I assume no one else voted for it).
12. Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) #5
13. John Wick (2014) #48
14. Robocop (1987) #19
15. Aliens (1986) #3

16. Die Hard (1998) #1
17. The Matrix (1999) #6
18. Lethal Weapon (1987) #16
19. The Rock (1996) #32
20. Equilibrium (2002) - Again, I'm surprised this didn't at least get an honourable mention. It's one of the few Christian Bale films where I didn't dislike Bale in it.

21. Crank (2006) (H)
22. Predator (1987) #7
23. Taken (2008) #91
24. Fast Five (2011) (H)
25. Pacific Rim (2013) (H)

But look... I was wrong about the order once again. I can never ever guess these. Well, actually I can, because it's always the opposite of what I think/hope it to be.

As stated earlier, I picked one from each franchise and I prefer Die Hard with a Vengeance so I went with that. So what you want, think what you want, I personally think the first Die Hard is overrated - especially as a number one pick for an all-time action flick. It's really well made, really solid, but it's not that good, in my opinion.

Terminator 2: Judgment Day was my NUMBER ONE PICK. People might say the same about this one as I say about Die Hard and I don't blame them. But this is one of the best sequels ever made and one of the best action movies ever made, if not the best.

Despite all, really good work with the list, Omni!

What? How shocking! No, that's right, you already told us. This is still why people running lists shouldn't give out hints. Having run one I know it is very tempting. I know how difficult it is to hold onto the answers when everybody is speculating. But, really....just don't.

And the hints give us the exact spot of THREE of the titles. I mean we all know that Die Hard is number one, but that isn't given explicitly. The number three movie is given in the hints. We know locations of the three oldest films, with one of them being number three. So #3 is either Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981), The Terminator (1984), or Aliens (1986). But another clue says no movie with "the" in the title is in the top four. That means Raiders of the Lost Ark and The Terminator can't be number three, only the "the-less" Aliens can.

Additionally, we also we know from the clues that Raiders can't be number 10, because while numbers 10, 5, and 3 are the oldest, we are told they aren't in order from oldest to youngest/youngest to oldest. If Raiders were number ten, then it would go '81, '84, '86, which is in order. Since they have to be out of order and we already know Aliens is three, that means The Terminator is ten and Raiders of the Lost Ark is number five.

Oh, well. The number three spot is where I had Aliens and number ten is where I put The Terminator in my guess before the clues. I adjusted a few of the others.

And THAT is why people running lists shouldn't give out hints.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	trio.jpg
Views:	792
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	27571  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Congratulations Omni, great countdown...your graphics looked great and you did a good job.

I'm not much of an action fan so that's why I haven't commented much. I have seen Die Hard and it really wasn't my type of movie...but I could see it winning. Personally I liked The Terminator, Aliens and Raiders of the Lost Ark the best.

My entire list...

1. Die Hard (1988)
2. The Man Who Would Be King (1975)
3. Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
4. The Wild Bunch (1969)
5. Léon: The Professional (1994)
6. Heat (1995)
7. North by Northwest (1959)
8. Seven Samurai (1954)
9. The Road Warrior (1981)
10. Aliens (1986)
11. Sorcerer (1977)
12. Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)
13. Runaway Train (1985)
14. RoboCop (1987)
15. The Professionals (1966)
16. True Lies (1994)
17. Romancing the Stone[/color] (1984)
18. Skyfall (2012)
19. The Raid: Redemption (2011)
20. The Terminator (1984)
21. Charley Varrick (1974)
22. The Dark Knight (2008)
23. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)
24. 13 Assassins (2010)
25. The Blues Brothers (1980)

BLACK = made the list / BLUE = honorable mention / RED = did not place

I grew up with both of these movies and loved them as a kid, though I always preferred Die Hard 2 over the original. Yesterday I rewatched Terminator 2 for the first time in years and I enjoyed it but it felt rather dated. I didn't vote for either movie.

My complete list

1. Gladiator
2. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
3. Mad Max: Fury Road
4. The Quick and the Dead
5. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
6. Point Break
7. Demolition Man
8. True Romance
9. Con Air
10. Brotherhood of the Wolf
11. Inglourious Basterds
12. Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
13. The Boondock Saints
14. The Fifth Element
15. Jurassic Park
16. Grosse Point Blank
17. The General
18. Die Hard II
19. Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior
20. Pulp Fiction
21. Jurassic World
22. True Lies
23. Total Recall
24. The Negotiator
25. Cutthroat Island

So, this is the list I came up with as I had my head on full-blown pure action flicks that I watch for the action... My list had looked very different if I hadn't taken the term so seriously and also when looking over the final top 100, and if I was able to pick from that, it had looked even more different... But anyways...

1. T2 – Terminator 2: Judgment Day #1
2. Aliens #3
3. Minority Report honorable mention
4. The Raid 2: Barandal #38
5. The Bourne Ultimatum #92
6. Crank honorable mention
7. M:I – Ghost Protocol #47
8. M:I:III honorable mention
9. The Rock #32
10. Fast Five honorable mention
11. Bad Boys II
12. Apocalypto honorable mention
13. Die Hard with a Vengeance #74
14. Speed #30
15. Gravity
16. Face/Off #40
17. Indiana Jones and the Lost Crusade #39
18. Who Am I?
19. The Legend of Drunken Master honorable mention
20. Spider-Man 2 #82
21. Death Race
22. Captain America: The Winter Soldier honorable mention
23. Con Air #18
24. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest
25. Children of Men one-pointer

Seen around 85/100. Some of them I'm not sure of and some I might not have seen in full, so I can't do a perfect count.

Great Countdown Omni, great job!!!
And amazing job with the countdown, Omni! Your presentation was really good.
Despite all, really good work with the list, Omni!
Congratulations Omni, great countdown...your graphics looked great and you did a good job.
Thanks, guys.

What? How shocking! No, that's right, you already told us. This is still why people running lists shouldn't give out hints. Having run one I know it is very tempting. I know how difficult it is to hold onto the answers when everybody is speculating. But, really....just don't.
I gave away more than that.