The MoFo Top 100 Action Movie Countdown

→ in
Tools    

510 Points / 32 Lists

I think Aliens is probably the most suspect movie in the Top 10. It's far more "Action" than "Horror" compared to Alien, but much more of a Suspense movie I watch for the characters.

While I don't love Fury Road the way I do The Road Warrior, it's still a good movie and is easily one of the best films of 2015. I originally had it in the bottom half of my list, but removed it in favour of films that didn't already have another film from the same franchise included. I fully expected to see it near the top of this countdown though.

Aliens was on my list at #15. It's one of the first movies I thought of when I starting collecting films for my list, though I kept moving it down to promote films that might not necessarily be better, but that I just really enjoy watching. Outside of my Top 5, the order didn't matter too much to me because I have a hard time ranking films against each other. You'll probably never see a Top 100 films from me because of that, but I'm going to try a little harder for my Sci-Fi list.

Seen: 90/98
My List: 16
3 honourable mentions

01. Dredd (2012) #41
02. The Road Warrior (1981) #12
03. Edge of Tomorrow (2014) #57
04. Lethal Weapon 2 (1989) #83
05. Obviously not on the countdown.

06. Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol (2011) #47
07. Kingsman: The Secret Service (2014) #68
08. I think this is #2
09. Hot Fuzz (2007) #42
10. I had expected this to get an honourable mention, but apparently not.

11. I'm not disappointed because this never had a chance anyway.
12. Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) #5
13. John Wick (2014) #48
14. Robocop (1987) #19
15. Aliens (1986) #3

16. This has to be #1
17. The Matrix (1999) #6
18. Lethal Weapon (1987) #16
19. The Rock (1996) #32
20. I also thought this would at least get an honourable mention, but that wasn't the case.

21. Crank (2006) (H)
22. Predator (1987) #7
23. Taken (2008) #91
24. Fast Five (2011) (H)
25. Pacific Rim (2013) (H)

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
Aliens and Fury Road are great picks and 2 movies i voted for.

"Banshee is the greatest thing ever. "

I f***ing love Mad Max: Fury Road. I saw it four times in the theater and several more times on blu-ray. I grew up watching The Road Warrior and Beyond Thunderdome and I loved them for their cool action sequences, crazy vehicles, and bizarre characters. Fury Road took those elements, cut out the chaff of overdrawn story and character development and left us with an adrenaline packed ride.

Also Tom Hardy is hot.

I had it at #3.

Camo - GET IT WATCHED!

1. Gladiator (#14)
2. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (#22)
3. Mad Max: Fury Road (#3)
5. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (#76)
6. Point Break (#27)
7. Demolition Man (#80)
9. Con Air (#18)
11. Inglourious Basterds (Honorable Mention)
13. The Boondock Saints (Honorable Mention)
14. The Fifth Element (#90)
15. Jurassic Park (#79)
18. Die Hard 2: Die Harder (Honorable Mention)
19. Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior (#12)
20. Pulp Fiction (Honorable Mention)
22. True Lies (#29)
23. Total Recall (#25)
25. Cutthroat Island (One Pointer)

Almost forgot, I didn't like Ghost in the Shell at all and I'm not sure if I've seen Aliens. If I have it was at some point during my childhood.

Fury Road took those elements, cut out the chaff of overdrawn story and character development
They also cut out the Mad Max.

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
3/3 for me today. Fury Road was my #11, a no nonsense, balls to the wall action movie with a great score, beautiful visuals and sound editing, and a great preformance from Hardy and Theron. With hardly any dialouge, Hardy portrayes a deeply damaged man helpt to find a purpous by a group of kick-ass women on a quest for greener pastures. And then we have the antagonsit...Imortant Joe. George Miller went back to the man who acted as his first bad guy and brought out of him a man filled to the brim with charisma and brutality in eaqual messures. Hugh Keays-Byrne displayes the pull and vigour of a man half his age, and at 69, he's got no right to be as powerful and magnetic as he is.

Aliens came in at #9. Have to say I prefer Alien, but as an action movie it's a far leap ahead. The humor, accompanied with the fear instilled by the Xenomorphs and a powerful final action scene between Ridley and the Alien Queen.

Ghost in the Shell I saw this for the first time during a seminar on the characteristics and themes in japaneese animation. After the lecture they rolled down a screen and put GitS on. It was an awesome way for a first viewing. It came in at # 5 on my list. Kinda fun to see that animation got a few places on the list as well as in the honorables. Now, 3 of 4 animated picks from my list is represented. Too bad the last one won't show up.

14 of my picks (I believe it will be 15) made the list, 5 of them in the honorables.

1 The Crow
2 Highlander (H)
3 Kingsman: The Secret Service
4 Nope
5 Ghost in the Shell (H)
6 Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children
7 Top 5
8 Lethal Weapon
9 Aliens
10 Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
11 Mad Max: Fury Road
12 The Incredibles
13 Pacific Rim
14 Terminator
15 The Dark Knight
16 Pitch Black (H)
17 Nope
18 Nope
19 Oldboy (H)
20 Hero
21 Legend of the Drunken Master (H)
22 Nope
23 Robocop
24 Nope
25 The Rock

I think Aliens is probably the most suspect movie in the Top 10. It's far more "Action" than "Horror" compared to Alien, but much more of a Suspense movie I watch for the characters.
You watch for those cardboard cut-out, one dimensional characters?

I had Predator at #6 on my list. Whist I do think it gets worse with every viewing, I really enjoy it and it's perfect for this list.

I got a bit of catching up to do. Fury Road was my number 4, Predator my number 10, and Raiders was my 20. Mad Max Fury Road was my favorite film of last year, one of my top 25 favorite movies of all time, and by some miracle replaced The Road Warrior as my favorite flick in the Mad Max series. And you can see a long and enthusiastic write up in my review thread. Predator and Raiders are both child hood favorites. Though I still greatly prefer Temple of Doom to Raiders.

The Boondock Saints was one of mine too. It was my number 3. It is another top 25 favorite films of all time and it was my number 3. Red Dawn did not make the Honorable mentions, and was my number 2. Just throwing that one out there.

Also I totally flaked on Aliens.

1. Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom
4. Mad Max: Fury Road
5. The Avengers
6. Dirty Harry
8. The Road Warrior
9. Desperado
10. Predator
13. Mad Max
14. Lethal Weapon
15. Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl
16. The Terminator
20. Raiders of the Lost Ark
21. Demolition Man
22. The Raid: Redemption
23. Escape from New York

Aliens was my NUMBER TWO!!!

One of the best action films of all-time, only slightly topped by my number one pick, which will also be the number one pick on this countdown... or maybe not, I'm starting to wonder. Usually I'm always wrong, so...

Didn't vote for any of the Mad Max films. I like 2 and 4 though.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Just reveal the last 2, we know anyway

Think Mad Max falls into that category of being new, and wont be quite so high in 10 years, in fact I'm certain of that. I love it though, great film.

Welcome to the human race...
Mad Max: Fury Road was my #19. I like Aliens and Ghost in the Shell but didn't vote for either one.

Yeah, I think this might explain why, despite my currently having it rated at
and in my last Top 100, I ultimately didn't vote for it. In hindsight, I think that may have been a mistake, but I'm willing to bet that it wouldn't have made a significant difference.

They also cut out the Mad Max.
What's the deal with airline food?

Just reveal the last 2, we know anyway

Think Mad Max falls into that category of being new, and wont be quite so high in 10 years, in fact I'm certain of that. I love it though, great film.
Now I'm wondering where The Dark Knight would have placed if this poll had been conducted in 2009.

Surely Rocky and Die Hard...
One out of two ain't bad.

I'm really quite shocked that Aliens was #3.

It was on my list - I can see it as an action movie (but not the BEST example of an action movie).... but #3?

Doesn't feel right to me that it's this high.

...the order didn't matter too much to me because I have a hard time ranking films against each other.
I'll agree with this, though I put mine together at the last hour (literally!) with films off the top of my head that I love. But...Aliens is tied at the top for my personal favorite movie of all-time. It has almost everything except romance and singing, and it mostly has action, especially the last half. Still, not really putting them in any particular order except my Number One, which I expect WILL be #1. I had Aliens at #14 on my list and Mad Max: Fury Road at #19. I've had most of my list appear somewhere in the Top 100, whether it be in the list proper or Honorable Mentions, so I'm pretty happy with this list. I've got six I know won't make it and I think the Top 2 will come from my list. Anyway, I've got most of the ones from my list on DVDs I've collected over the years and these, despite being not really in order on my list. I was happy to see quite a few people digging on The Boondock Saints since I just get blank looks when I talk to friends and family about it.

You watch for those cardboard cut-out, one dimensional characters?
Charlie's Angels says what?

Now I'm wondering where The Dark Knight would have placed if this poll had been conducted in 2009.
Had wondered that too. And for what it suggests about Fury Road. There's undoubtedly residual system shock, I would bet both movies would slide down the list even a year from now.