The MoFo Top 100 Action Movie Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
Hm. Which cut do you prefer?
The original, without a doubt. The director's cut is genuinely terrible - the prologue I mentioned adds nothing, the comic-book transitions seriously mess with the film's pacing and just look ugly, while certain post-production tweaks (such as adding zooms to shots that were originally static) are just distracting. I don't think anyone prefers the director's cut to the original.

I've said it before... Ned's comments are too dumb to actually be true. If they are I'm really worried for him. And at the same time, they may be so dry and free from obvious irony. The way he plays it straight and unaware might be the whole joke persona, but it's frighteningly genuine...
I've seen Ned claim on multiple occasions that he literally has brain damage (something to do with a brain bleed, I think) so I'm willing to cut him some slack if his posts aren't word-perfect or if he has trouble grasping certain concepts. While it's entirely possible that he is making it up, I reckon that possibility is extremely unlikely.

I've seen Ned claim on multiple occasions that he literally has brain damage (something to do with a brain bleed, I think) so I'm willing to cut him some slack if his posts aren't word-perfect or if he has trouble grasping certain concepts. While it's entirely possible that he is making it up, I reckon that possibility is extremely unlikely.
You say multiple occasions, so this will make me look like an idiot appearently, but I genuinely did not know that.

I don't remember reading stuff like that. Damn, I'm sorry to hear that, Ned, if you are reading this. I must admit though, despite not knowing, the thought of something along those lines have indeed crossed my mind. So I guess I'm guilty for slaying an obvious target... but that's how if is with the internet, you never truly know the person behind the screen. People troll, have alternate accounts etc. so you can't really blame those who judge or brush off people like that so easily, either.

The internet... so damn complicated.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
The Dark Knight (2008) - I think The Dark Knight is a very overrated movie, not only because of Heath Ledger's death, but also because of his amazing performance. The movie itself isn't great, but Ledger's performance is fantastic.

The Terminator (1984) - I strongly considered The Terminator for my list, but I didn't want to include two Terminator movies, so this one missed the cut. But I knew that it would make the list even without my help.

Honorable Mentions:
13 Assassins (2010) - Never heard of it.
Apocalypto (2006) - Never heard of it.

267 Points / 17 Lists

Was The Dark Knight expected to show up by everybody? I guess so since The Dark Knight Rises made the list.
Batman Begins made it, too (#85). The Dark Knight, besides being incredibly popular, is also generally and critically considered to be the best of the three Nolan Batman films, so.....yeah, it wasn't a surprise to anybody except you, I guess?

I had The Terminator as my twentieth pick and The Dark Knight as my twenty-second. I also had Takashi Miike's 13 Assassins, which is sort of Seven Samurai with almost twice as many Ronin and ten times as much carnage, on my list at number twenty-four.

4. The Wild Bunch (#44)
5. Léon: The Professional (#20)
6. Heat (#34)
7. North by Northwest (#89)
8. Seven Samurai (#13)
9. The Road Warrior (#12)
14. RoboCop (#19)
16. True Lies (#29)
19. The Raid: Redemption (#33)
20. The Terminator (#10)
22. The Dark Knight (#9)
23. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (HM)
24. 13 Assassins (HM)
25. The Blues Brothers (OP)

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Haven't seen any of the Kill Bills for years so i didn't vote for them. Predator was my #22, another one i haven't seen in a while so it could've moved up or down depending on how well it held up. Not seen either of the HMs.

01.Once Upon A Time In The West
02.Seven Samurai
03.Still To Come
04.The Wild Bunch
05.The Dark Knight
06.Empire Strikes Back
07.Star Wars
08.The Bridge On The River Kwai
09.Temple of Doom
10.Hero (2002)
11.From Russia With Love
12.The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
13.For A Few Dollars More
14.Shogun Assassin
15.Leon
16.Oldboy
17.Still To Come
18.Heat
19.The Terminator
20.First Blood
21.Ong-Bak
22.Predator
23.Once Upon A Time In China
24.Enter the Dragon
25.Robocop

Welcome to the human race...
Predator was my #13 - in hindsight, I'm surprised I ranked it higher than Total Recall yet lower than Commando. Kill Bill Vol. 1 is good - though I do prefer Vol. 2, I can't fault it too hard on the action front.

Even back when I really liked Rodriguez's movies, I never liked From Dusk 'Til Dawn (even listing it on my "worst 100" a while ago, though I'll concede it's not quite that bad). Bullitt, on the other hand, is a respectable choice that I like but not that much.

Apocalypto was 12 on my list. A truly intense ride through stunning scenery and foreign impressions that is unlike anything you have ever seen. First we get some character development, then some exposition and stunning world building, and then for like 2/3 of the movie we get a pure adrenaline-fueled escape//rescue/revenge flick that really gets the blood pumping. I really love this movie...

Non of the Kill Bill's were on my list though I like them both; but it is the sequel that is my favorite by quite a lot... Actually, in many ways it's my odd choice for a favorite Tarantino flick. I personally think it's his best script yet and kind of like with Children of Men, it's hardly an action film, but the little action that is there is expertly executed! A masterpiece. Vol. 1 is great fun too and has a great atmosphere with full on "homage mode" from QT. Still great.

Predator was not on my list either. Great fun though.

TOP 6 ACTION FILMS:

1. DIE HARD
2. TERMINATOR 2: JUDGMENT DAY
3. ALIENS
4. MAD MAX: FURY ROAD
5. RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK
6. THE MATRIX

My guess:

01.Die Hard
02.Terminator 2
03.Aliens
04.Mad Max
05.The Matrix
06.Raiders of the Lost Ark

Think SC nearly has it hopefully that one change will be it

I had Predator a little low on my list at #22. I do really like that movie (I even wrote a paper on the use of sound in the film), but I think I've just gotten tired of it over the years, since I'd always watch it whenever it was on tv, which was quite frequently.

I think I need to rewatch the Kill Bill films. I didn't care for them at all, and that seems to be a very uncommon opinion. I've only seen them both once, back-to-back on the Movie Network around the time when the second film came out on DVD.

Seen: 86/94
My List: 13
3 honourable mentions

01. Dredd (2012)
02. The Road Warrior (1981)
03. Edge of Tomorrow (2014)
04. Lethal Weapon 2 (1989)
06. Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol (2011)
07. Kingsman: The Secret Service (2014)
09. Hot Fuzz (2007)
13. John Wick (2014)
14. Robocop (1987)
18. Lethal Weapon (1987)
19. The Rock (1996)
21. Crank (2006) (H)
22. Predator (1987)
23. Taken (2008)
24. Fast Five (2011) (H)
25. Pacific Rim (2013) (H)

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
My List
2. Star Wars (#17)
3. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (#22)
4. The Incredibles (#66)
5. LotR: Return of the King (#37)
6. King Kong (2005) (#84)
7. Saving Private Ryan (#50)
8. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (#39)
N/A. Total Recall (#25) - This should have been my #9 but I had a brain fart; that would have given it 17 more points and all those beneath it one less.
9. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (#98)
12. Braveheart (#58)
14. Point Break (#27)
15. The Return of the Jedi (HM)
16. LotR: The Two Towers (#43)
17. The Empire Strikes Back (#15)

Seen 92/94 of the Top 100 and 58/58 of the Honorable Mentions.
Not Seen
97. Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children
93. Fist of Legend

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Pred only number 7, surprised.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
If it bleeds, we can kill it!

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
My predictionsfiller filler filler List Actual (so far)
10 Mad Max: Fury Road filler 10 Terminator
9 The Dark Knight filler filler fill 9 The Dark Knight
8 Kill Bill Vol 1 filler filler filler fill 8 Kill Bill vol 1
7 The Matrixfiller filler filler fillei 7 Predator
6 Raiders of the lost arc
5 Terminator
4 Predator
3 Terminator 2
2 Aliens
1 Die Hard

Gotta say, I'm happy with 50% right so far. As previously stated, I like to see Kill Bill as one single feature when I sit down to watch it, but if forced to choose, I'd go with vol 2. Neither made my list though. Predator didn't either, mostly because I thought it didn't need my help. The almost quintessential action movie, along with such other arnie gems as Commando, Eraser and The Last Action Hero. Btw, not even a mention for that last one? For shame, MoFos. For Shame!

... and The Last Action Hero. Btw, not even a mention for that last one? For shame, MoFos. For Shame!
I didn't vote for it because I haven't seen it in ages and don't really remember much about it. I just remember it being okay.

There are still a few honourable mentions left though, so maybe it was close to making the countdown?