The MoFo Top 100 Action Movie Countdown

→ in
Tools    

188 Points / 10 Lists

Seven Samurai is a great movie. Hardly an action though. A drama epic or maybe a little adventure/history-ish with a bit of action in it. But a great movie indeed.

I almost voted for Road Warrior but it got cut from my list. Didn't vote for any Mad Max films... I'm one of those few people who aren't a fan of First Blood. Maybe a revisit will change that.

Out of the honorable mentions, The Winter Soldier was on my list (in the lower point). One of the better action-fueled superhero movies to come out. If Scarface is action then so is The Godfather...

Looking forward to the top 10.

Three from my list; Seven Samurai was my #2, Empire Strikes Back my #6 and First Blood my #20 Gladiator is solid although not a favourite of mine. I barely remember Road Warrior. Only seen Scarface from the HMs, glad it didn't make it; awful film.

01.Once Upon A Time In The West
02.Seven Samurai
04.The Wild Bunch
06.Empire Strikes Back
07.Star Wars
09.Temple of Doom
10.Hero (2002)
11.From Russia With Love
12.The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
15.Leon
16.Oldboy
20.First Blood
21.Ong-Bak
23.Once Upon A Time In China
24.Enter the Dragon
25.Robocop

Welcome to the human race...
Empire Strikes Back is great, but I didn't vote for it. Not sure why I made the conscious decision to avoid voting for any Star Wars films, but there you go. It obviously didn't need my help.

With Gladiator, my interest drops off really hard after the "My name is Maximus" scene. Everything before that is definitely solid, though.

Seven Samurai was my #6. The action may be spread out over three-and-a-bit hours but what action there is holds up very well many years later and there's no denying the ways in which it essentially codified the modern action movie.

Mad Max 2 was my #20. This one didn't grab me at first, but it seems like I enjoy it more with each new viewing.

I feel like I need to revisit First Blood. Surprised it made it this high, in any case.

Hons - I still like Scarface well enough but don't feel much urge to re-watch it these days, Winter Soldier is one of the best MCU movies, and Hard Target has been on my to-do list for a looooong time.

Welp, we're at the Top 10, if you have any predictions, now's the time.

Having done this Countdown now, I feel like I should've done things differently, namely favoring nominations over points. In a Countdown concerning genre it makes the most sense to consider the movies that most people think of when the question is put to them, rather than simply gauge their collective favorability towards specific movies.

I'll come clean here and admit my biggest complaint with the list, which some of you may be able to predict: Jackie Chan doesn't make a single appearance. Some of his movies were nominated, he was wildly underranked and largely ignored despite being an undisputed staple of the genre. That Segal makes the list, but Chan doesn't is pretty disappointing (others like Jean-Claude Van Damme is also conspicuously absent save an honorable mention).

To be fair, many of Chan's movie's are dramatic slogs, but the diamonds in the rough are more than worth including. Legend of Drunken Master (or Drunken Master 2) got a mention and it probably features his best fight and Rumble in the Bronx was also relatively high, but if a single on of his movies made the list, it would have to be the original Drunken Master, it's almost entirely fight scenes with all of the fast pace and creative choreography you can expect from Yuen Woo-ping directing without all of the dramatic and visual vomit of Crouching Tiger and Grandmaster YOU NOMINATE THOSE MOVIES AND NOT A SINGLE JACKIE CHAN MOVIE!? COME ON!!!

2. Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children
3. Dragon Tiger Gate
4. Star Wars V: The Empire Strikes Back
7. Hard Boiled
9. Iron Man
10. Above The Law
11. Commando
15. The Legend of Drunken Master
16. The Protector
17. Drunken Master
18. Snake in the Eagle’s Shadow

19. Police Story 2
20. Fist of Legend
21. Wing Chun
22. Gorgeous
23. Rumble in the Bronx
24. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

First Blood was the very last movie I cut to get down to twenty-five. I had Seven Samurai and The Road Warrior back-to-back on my own list as well, at spots eight and nine. And I finally had one of mine crop up among the honorable mentions. For me Captain America: The Winter Soldier is the most satisfying of all the Marvel movies, thus far. I had it twenty-third. So I will have seven of the top ten.

1. Gotta be the collective number one, too
2. No chance, but I hope people watch it
3. Likely this is number two for MoFo
4. The Wild Bunch (#44)
5. Léon: The Professional (#20)
6. Heat (#34)
7. North by Northwest (#89)
8. Seven Samurai (#13)
9. The Road Warrior (#12)
10. This is top five material, for sure
11. Zero chance, but a terrific flick
12. Definitely gonna be up near the top
13. Another that had no real chance, but what a ride
14. RoboCop (#19)
15. No way, Jose, but if you watched it you'd enjoy it
16. True Lies (#29)
17. '80s fare that won't make it, but should have for its charm
18. Think this one is still coming
19. The Raid: Redemption (#33)
20. Thought it was gonna be there, but alas...
21. Never had a prayer, but super '70s fun
22. Surely showing soon
23. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (HM)
24. Would have shown by now, if it were making it
25. My least-likely pick to make it, but I couldn't resist

There wasn't a one-pointers list reveal, right?

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

1-Pointers:
Appleseed (2004)
Blues Brothers (1980)
Children of Men (2006)
Cutthroat Island (1995)
Dog Soldiers (2002)
Executive Decision (1996)
Fast & Furious 6 (2013)
Headshot (2011)
Knockabout (1979)
Looper (2012)
Nacho Libre (2006)
Rush Hour (1998)
Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot (1992)
The Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)
The Deer Hunter (1978)
The Getaway (1972)
The Karate Kid (1984)
The Mummy (1999)
The One-Armed Swordsman (1967)
The Spy Who Loved Me (1977)
The Three Musketeers (1973)
Unforgiven (1992)
Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning (2012)
Deja Vu (2006)

I'll come clean here and admit my biggest complaint with the list, which some of you may be able to predict: Jackie Chan doesn't make a single appearance. Some of his movies were nominated, he was wildly underranked and largely ignored despite being an undisputed staple of the genre. That Segal makes the list, but Chan doesn't is pretty disappointing (others like Jean-Claude Van Damme is also conspicuously absent save an honorable mention).

To be fair, many of Chan's movie's are dramatic slogs, but the diamonds in the rough are more than worth including. Legend of Drunken Master (or Drunken Master 2) got a mention and it probably features his best fight and Rumble in the Bronx was also relatively high, but if a single on of his movies made the list, it would have to be the original Drunken Master, it's almost entirely fight scenes with all of the fast pace and creative choreography you can expect from Yuen Woo-ping directing without all of the dramatic and visual vomit of Crouching Tiger and Grandmaster YOU NOMINATE THOSE MOVIES AND NOT A SINGLE JACKIE CHAN MOVIE!? COME ON!!!
Wow, Seagal making the list instead of Chan really throws this into perspective. That's like Nickelback making a list of great rock albums instead of Pink Floyd.

It's not like the debates over what did or didn't count as action movies helped either.

I put Children of Me last on my list in the hopes of the movie getting a mention on the one pointer list... and sure thing, there it is.

Now, why did I put that movie on an action list? Well, despite of how the movie definitely seems to qualify by now after seeing what else has been popping up on this list, I still thought it probably wasn't action enough to be included. BUT that said, in my honest opinion it has some of the best action ever put to screen. The short bursts of action are all extremely well cheographed, directed, edited, acted and filled with tension and great sound design/decisions. The car scene alone is worthy of this list and actually qualifies as a personal pick, since I often want to put on the film simply for that scene - aka, I would watch it for the action.

But anyways,the car escape scene is amazing as is the other car escape where he has to push it down a hill and get it started before the bad guys catch up to him. So freaking tense. And then there is the climax with the impressive one take and all. Very, very well done.

Excellent movie.

I haven't seen any of those films Omni mentioned. The only Jackie Chan films i've seen are his godawful later American films like The Tuxedo and The Medallion, also Shanghai Noon and Knight wouldn't call them good films exactly but i love them regardless. I'm sure those films are solid and i might have considered them. Didn't vote for Segal either because he is terrible.

Myself, I'm impressed that someone else likes Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning. That film is practically a cult classic already. Were I the type who wanted to pick a deliberately unlikely choice in order to get a one-pointer mention, it might have been that. Or Double Team. Or Dolemite.

I'll give it points for cinematography.

I haven't seen any of those films Omni mentioned. The only Jackie Chan films i've seen are his godawful later American films like The Tuxedo and The Medallion, also Shanghai Noon and Knight wouldn't call them good films exactly but i love them regardless. I'm sure those films are solid and i might have considered them. Didn't vote for Segal either because he is terrible.
Rumble in the Bronx is his second American action movie after Battle Creek Brawl (which sucks).

Even Rush Hour would have been welcome, but as demonstrated it got a mere 1 point total.

No need to bash these other two great movies to make your point. They're not visual vomit. The action in those films simply has a different meaning than the films you're praising and is therefore (understandably) also executed and interpreted in a different manner.

No need to bash these other two great movies to make your point. They're not visual vomit. The action in those films simply has a different meaning than the films you're praising and is therefore (understandably) also executed and interpreted in a different manner.
In terms of action, a predisposition towards visuals and heavy-handed drama are not to an action movie's advantage (this is Batman v. Superman in a nutshell).

Also bad wire-fu is BAD. There's nothing to be "interpreted" from a sock puppet with lip syncing problems, it's just BAD.