The MoFo Top 100 Action Movie Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
That last post was more for Horroist - all things considered, there really haven't been a lot of choices that I can seriously get indignant over even if they outrank stuff I picked or simply like more.

89 Points / 5 Lists

2. Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children
3. Dragon Tiger Gate
10. Above The Law
15. The Legend of Drunken Master
16. The Protector
18. Snake in the Eagle’s Shadow
19. Police Story 2
20. Fist of Legend
21. Wing Chun
22. Gorgeous
24. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

The Wild Bunch was my #4. One of my favourite Westerns. Admittedly unlike others i didn't pick films for their action but the shootouts in the film are incredible.

The Warriors is ok. All my friends loved it and i kind of went with the crowd when i was younger saying i did too, outside a few great scenes i've never thought it was that special though.

I understand why Two Towers is above Fellowship but it's still very weird to see. My least favourite of the trilogy, it's still great.

Hot Fuzz? Wow, didn't even think of that. I like it never been as into the Pegg/Frost films as others though.

Haven't watched Dredd.

From the honourable mentions, Jedi is the weakest out of the originals it is still pretty good, Snatch is not bad but i prefer Lock Stock and not seen the other one.

01.Once Upon a Time in the West
04.The Wild Bunch
10.Hero
12.The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
21.Ong-Bak
23.Once Upon A Time In China

Welcome to the human race...
Now that is more like it.

The Warriors was my #5 pick. Pure B-movie brilliance. The Wild Bunch is another "love it but didn't vote for it" work. The Two Towers definitely deserves to be rated higher than Fellowship on an action countdown, at least. I had Hot Fuzz at #15. Dredd is one of the better action movies of the last five years, though I didn't vote for it.

As for the hons, I'm kicking myself that I didn't get to go to a screening of Tokyo Drifter last year, I revisited Snatch recently and found it wanting (especially on the action front), and Return of the Jedi is...an okay choice, I suppose.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Great selection!

The only one I haven't seen from this list is The Wild Bunch. It sounds familiar, but I don't think I've actually seen it. Dredd was (unsurprisingly) my #1 pick. I fully expected to see it somewhere around this part of the countdown, but it's still a little disappointing haha.

Hot Fuzz was #9 on my list. I like it more for its comedic elements, but it does have a very action-packed final act that makes me think of it as an action-comedy, and not just a comedy film with action or something similar to that. It's by far my favourite of the cornetto trilogy.

Seen: 55/60
My List: 8
2 honourable mentions

01. Dredd (2012)
03. Edge of Tomorrow (2014)
04. Lethal Weapon 2 (1989)
06. Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol (2011)
07. Kingsman: The Secret Service (2014)
09. Hot Fuzz (2007)
13. John Wick (2014)
21. Crank (2006) (H)
23. Taken (2008)
24. Fast Five (2011) (H)

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
Two Towers was my LOTR entry. Helm's deep, Rohirrim vs Uruk-hai, Ent attacking Isengard, it's the most action packed of the three and therefore I felt it warranted the #10 spot on my list. Haven't seen The wild bunch or the warriors, but I second cosmic's opinion of Hot fuzz, definetly the best Cornetto film...but not the best Frost/Pegg movie. That's Paul. No question. Dredd deserved a place in the top 20 at least, too bad it came in in the 40s. Haven't seen Jedi more than once, will rewatch for top 100 sci-fi, haven't seen the other two, though I've heard good things about Snatch.

3 Kingsman: The Secret Service
6 Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children
10 The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
12 The Incredibles
16 Pitch Black
20 Hero
21 Legend of the Drunken Master (H)

23. Die Hard With A Vengeance - 74th
19. Independence Day - 72nd
15. Lethal Weapon 2 - 83rd
13. The Expendables 3 - Honorable Mention 70-66
06. Star Wars Episode 6: Return Of The Jedi - Honorable Mention 45-41

04. Starship Troopers - 75th
03. Dredd (2012) - 41st

I shut off The Wild Bunch a few minutes in and won't be returning to it. As I said, I hate all things LOTR. I've seen The Warriors and it was kind of fun, but I didn't love it.

I don't understand how the honorable mentions work, but it doesn't really matter. So far I believe the only two from my list are The Wild Bunch (my number four) and North by Northwest (my number seven).
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Snatch is not bad but i prefer Lock Stock and not seen the other one.
I'm the same way. Lock Stock over Snatch easily, though both ARE pretty damn good.
But then there's very little from Guy Ritchie I don't like, if anything at all

I do like having these honorable mentions so that we can all knock out the ones that won't be on the list. Kinda goes with the feel of this list.

My List:
#7 John Wick (48)
#8 The Good, The Bad, and The Weird (Honorable)
#9 Ong Bak (Honorable)
#18 A Better Tomorrow (Honorable)
#19 Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol (47)
#20 Desperado (20)
#24 300 (46)

Watched: 48/55
Honorable: 26/33