The MoFo Top 100 Action Movie Countdown

→ in
Tools    

No they arent comparable, one is Sci-Fi and the other Fantasy. That fantasy movie was definitely action packed, and Im sure will be on this list. I didnt consider it though, nor did I consider any war movies...go figure. Its all how each person looks at it I guess.
Exactly. If Iro did mean what everybody thought he meant (which he already said he didn't) it would be a mess anyway, all the people complaining wouldn't be able to agree on most of it.

If anything LOTR Is Pure Fantasy But I can seen people putting it in on an action list. Alien too me is 3 Things Sci-Fi Thriller and Horror movie. Alien seems a weird movie too come up in an action countdown. Horror and Sci Fi Lists im good with.

If anything LOTR Is Pure Fantasy .
Yet Fellowship of the Ring is listed on IMDb under these genres: Action, Adventure, Drama, Fantasy. In that order.

I'll be the first to say that IMDb's categorizations can be... problematic... but in this case it seems fairly accurate to me.

Thats why i said i can see why a person would put any of them on an action movie list.
Just thought I'd point it out since you seem to think a lot of films are "pure" one genre or another when it seems pretty clear to me that they're not.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Demolition Man (1993) - Never heard of it.
Jurassic Park (1993) - This was #6 on my list. (I was on the fence as to whether or not it was considered an action movie, so I asked, and I was told it was eligible.)
Django Unchained (2012) - Haven't seen it, and have no interest in seeing it.
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966) - Saw this, but didn't like it.
Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003) - I saw one or two of the POTC movies, but I have no idea which ones. Eventually I'll watch them all, but from what I remember about them, they're only okay.

Honorable Mentions:
House of Flying Daggers (2004) - Never heard of it.
La Femme Nikita (1990) - I thought this was a TV series.
The Thing (1982) - I don't think of this as an action movie, but it wouldn't have made my list anyway.

And just for the record, I have no issues with any of the movies that made the countdown, whether I agree that they're action or not, whether they're animated, anime, sci-fi, horror, or anything else. Even the movies that made the countdown, but I didn't consider them for my list because I didn't think they were action movies, I have no issues with them either.

My only issue with this countdown is time-related. I'm basically just a little bit disappointed that this countdown was rushed. I would have liked to have had more time to watch movies before submitting my list. There were a lot of movies that I didn't get to see, just because I ran out of time.

What?!

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003) - I saw one or two of the POTC movies, but I have no idea which ones.
The Curse of the Black Pearl is the first POTC movie. I doubt the sequels will show.

First and The Best One. Dead Mans Chest I Liked Pretty good, At Worlds End was not as bad as people say not compared too the 4th film.

I'm not much of an action movie person, so I'm not surprised that there are a bunch of movies in this countdown that I've never heard of. Maybe that's one of the reasons why I'm kind of disappointed that we didn't have any kind of discussion thread with recommendations for this countdown like we've had with all the other countdowns.

Once we post our complete lists, (after the countdown is done), you'll probably agree that many of the movies on my list are only borderline "action" movies.

The Curse of the Black Pearl is the first POTC movie. I doubt the sequels will show.
First and The Best One. Dead Mans Chest I Liked Pretty good, At Worlds End was not as bad as people say not compared too the 4th film.

I have three of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies on DVD, but I haven't watched them yet. The only ones I've seen were when they aired on TV.

I didn't even know that there was a 4th POTC movie.

Demolition Man is a movie that I've seen talked about quite a few times on the forum (though perhaps not really recently). It's in my own top 100. It's ridiculous and awesome.

Demolition Man is a movie that I've seen talked about quite a few times on the forum (though perhaps not really recently). It's in my own top 100. It's ridiculous and awesome.

IMDB and Wikipedia list it as sci-fi, so maybe I'll watch it for the Sci-Fi countdown.

I didn't even know that there was a 4th POTC movie.
Yep and they just released the teaser trailer for the fifth one, due out next year.

That's the problem with me and these movies that keep getting more and more sequels. Once I fall behind, it takes me a while to catch up with them. That's why the DVDs tend to sit on my shelf until I have a reason to watch them as a marathon.

That friggen' Iron Giant argument still gets to me, if I put up a bingo board of Action tropes you wouldn't balk at "one-liners" or "explosions" and go "AW WELL, there are one-liners in Good Will Hunting, MUST BE AN ACTION MOVIE!"

Fricken' ridiculous argument...

ANYWAY, I prefer Dead Man's Chest of all the POTC movies.

57 Points / 5 Lists