The MoFo Top 100 Action Movie Countdown

→ in
Tools    

No, of course you're not stoopid! The way I get it is that Honorable Mentions don't actually make the Top 100, so Omni is just mentioning them because someone voted for them even though they didn't make the cut. Pitch Black was my #12.

By the way, Taken made #91 here and it was #24 on mine. That's two of mine already gone.

My list so far:
7. Mad Max (#99)
24. Taken (#91)

Okay, either you're lying or you are the blindest man I know!

You may not like them, but The Bourne trilogy is adapted from some very popular novels and the film series is one of the most popular action-thriller moves of all time as well as one of the best trilogies of all time, according to a lot of people.

Taken was a huge action hit in 2008 and Man on Fire is also a really really popular film. I don't get you sometimes, CR.
Citizen Rules is a person from the 1950s he doesn't know the stuff the kids are talking about these days.

People watch Robocop and Taken for the drama? Who aren't The Rodent?
I didn't include movies like Commando and Rambo 4 because I watch them for their contemplative symbolism (mostly of the phallic type) and nuanced criticism of the patriarchal society we live in and not for the action scenes, which are common but do not make them into action movies.

Rambo 4 -- the 2008 movie -- was high on my list. At one point it was my #1 movie.

Commando was high on my list, too, as a matter of fact. Somehow Iroquois recommended that movie to me and I liked it.

What do you mean? Is it one person's choice that gets the honorable mention? Like, was pitch black your #1 and because it didn't make the cut you get an honorable mention? I thought it was the movie itself that got the mention. Or am I missunderstanding how it works? Am I stoopid?
They're just the closest movies to making the countdown.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Even if you and one or two others actually did use the time to watch movies for the countdown, my overwhelming impression is that most people didn't, which was the whole reason I agreed to delay it in the first place. Consider me a bit impatient at this point.

We were talking about this earlier and I still don't see the advantage. You'd have another thread to keep track of and the only difference will be the amount of comments before, between, and after it, which are present in every countdown and unavoidable anyway given I can't create locked threads.

If I remember correctly, the reason you said you wanted to do this Action Countdown was because of the lack of action movies in the List section of this site, but the way that you're rushing through this, it's not likely to become an official list, so it won't be in the List section anyway.

This was jumped in ahead of other countdowns that were patiently waiting, and there was little time given for people to watch movies for this countdown, and little time given to discuss them, both before the lists were submitted, and now, while the countdown is being revealed. It just feels like it's being rushed just to get it done quickly and move on to the next countdown.

That's fine if you just want a fun list and you don't care if it's an official countdown, but if you had any hope of this becoming an official list on the site, I'd be surprised if that happens.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
91. Taken (2008) (Saw it. It was okay, but didn't make my list.)
92. The Bourne Ultimatum (2007) (Haven't seen it yet.)
93. Fist of Legend (1994) (Never heard of it.)
94. Assault on Precinct 13 (1976) (Haven't seen it. Probably won't.)
95. Once Upon A Time in the West (1968) (Haven't seen it. I'm not really into westerns.)
96. Akira (1988) (Haven't seen it.)
97. Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children (2005) (Never heard of it. I thought Final Fantasy was a video game, not a movie.)
98. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (1984) (Haven't seen it.)
99. Mad Max (1979) (Haven't seen it. I only saw the most recent Mad Max movie, but I hated it, so I probably won't watch this.)
100. Smokey and the Bandit (1977) (#12 on my list. )

Honorable Mentions:
Ant-Man (2015) (Haven't seen it yet.)
Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (2003) (Saw it, but it was only okay.)
Pitch Black (2000) (Haven't seen it. Probably won't.)
Once Upon A Time in China (1991) (Never heard of it.)
Man on Fire (2004) (Saw it back when it was in the theater, but the only thing I remember about it was not liking it.)
A Better Tomorrow 2 (1987) (Never heard of it,)

If I remember correctly, the reason you said you wanted to do this Action Countdown was because of the lack of action movies in the List section of this site, but the way that you're rushing through this, it's not likely to become an official list, so it won't be in the List section anyway.
Why should it's pace have any impact on that?

Originally Posted by gbgoodies
This was jumped in ahead of other countdowns that were patiently waiting, and there was little time given for people to watch movies for this countdown, and little time given to discuss them, both before the lists were submitted, and now, while the countdown is being revealed. It just feels like it's being rushed just to get it done quickly and move on to the next countdown.
It's been stretched overlong as it is. 3 months is not little time. As I said, I watched several dozen movies in that period. No one was obligated to do that, but the argument was that there should be more time to watch said movies. Yet the vast majority of lists I've received are from when I first started this thread and the past week, accompanied by comments of how their lists were "just thrown together".

And people said the same thing in the 50s Countdown with WAY more time. I don't think kickin' this Countdown in the ass is unwarranted at this point.

People asked for more time,
I gave it,
they didn't take advantage of it,
now people want more time again, NO! I'm sick of it!

I don't feel like draggin' my ass on this anymore. I didn't want it to be 3-months long, but I responded to complaints and put off the duedate despite my reservations and now after all that time people are still complaining.

I consider myself a fairly patient person, but this is an entirely needless test of it's limits.

I wanted to do an Action Countdown, it was 3 months long, we got almost as many lists as the 50s Countdown with MORE than as many nominations, LET'S JUST SEE WHAT HAPPENS.

Originally Posted by gbgoodies
That's fine if you just want a fun list and you don't care if it's an official countdown, but if you had any hope of this becoming an official list on the site, I'd be surprised if that happens.
Thank you for the vote of confidence.

Personally, I don't have anything against the pace of this countdown. I mean, not every countdown has to be held in the exact same way, does it?

Citizen Rules is a person from the 1950s he doesn't know the stuff the kids are talking about these days.
Ha, that made me laugh! Sometimes I think about the 1950s, they had such cool cars! I really want one of those. But no I wasn't born in the 50s, so I wasn't around back then

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
I can't believe i forgot to add Deadpool to my list. I'm kind of shocked its so low too.

"Banshee is the greatest thing ever. "