Silent Film Era Hall of Fame

Tools    

Care for some gopher?
Yes, i watched that link. The quality was good, nothing to complain on my part.

From the 4 noms i haven't seen before, i have one to go (The Crowd). I will rewatch Nosferatu in October and maybe Diary of a Lost Girl, as well.

It was just good? it was listed as HD, but it didn't look HD to me. I'm getting spoiled as both Wings and The Big Parade were fully restored. The Big Parade was a 4K scan of the original negative which made a world of difference. If anybody has a high quality link for Sunrise let me know?

Care for some gopher?
The Crowd (King Vidor, 1928) -

I'm not as enthusiastic about this movie as cricket and Citizen were. The movie isn't bad, at all. Especially, the second half of the movie was good with all its drama. But the problem it had with this movie is that i just didn't care for the characters, which is pretty important for this type of movie. So, i felt bored a lot of the time. Pity.

Care for some gopher?
Nosferatu (Friedrich Wilhelm Murnau, 1922) -

This time i liked it a little bit more than the first time. The movie is very well directed and especially the second half bursts from atmosphere. The soundtrack is amazing and Max Schreck makes for a very memorable "Dracula".

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans

After I watched this I looked to see where it had placed on my last top 100. I had it at 87. I feel like it should have been in the 60s at least if not higher. This is an extremely well made film that hasn't dated at all. FW Murnau is a complete artist with this film. Everything from the camera angles to the composition to the direction to the music is perfect. Janet Gaynor puts on perhaps the best silent performance I have seen (the only other I can think of being up there is Chaplin in Gold Rush). I love the dark tone of the film in the beginning and I love the cheery ending as well. It's hard to think of a flaw other than maybe he seemed too in love with the city girl to make a complete turnaround with asking for forgiveness from his wife, but aside from that, I would really say that the film is perfect.

+

Three left for me. Does anyone have a decent link for Wings?
I think I know of a Blu Ray link to Wings. I'm checking it out right now and will let you know if it plays without problems.

Sunrise

It was incredible how this movie was filmed. I'll take that look over modern movies any day of the week. The subtitles were sparse, but the way they were done actually added something to the movie, and I never imagined saying that. Throw in a musical score that was just about perfect, and you have a masterpiece from a technical standpoint. The execution of the story wasn't far behind. I rarely feel as much dread as I did when the city girl's plan was brought up, and then when the man put the plan into motion. The tension was thick, and the dog running out to the water was a small but brilliant touch. In my head, I'm not sure I believe the forgiveness on the woman's part, but that scene at the wedding had my heart believing it. That was a great scene, but from there, I thought the movie was merely average until the couple headed back to the farm. All that stuff with the drunk pig seemed like mere filler. Once they started heading back, that's when the movie took off again towards a powerful climax. With about 15 minutes edited out, I probably would have thought of this movie as one of the greatest ever made. Just the way it is, it's an amazing movie.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I'm amazed at how many people think the middle sequence is weak. It's so adorable.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
It is. The whole movie is a masterpiece. TOP 20 best movies ever.

Sunrise (F.W. Murnau 1927)

There's a lot to love and admire in Sunrise, and one thing that I couldn't get passed. I was totally impressed with the visual look of the film....Could this be the first arthouse film? Certainly parts of the film are telling the story with creative visuals that seemed way ahead of their time. The multi layering of scenes with multi film exposure and rear projection, gives this movie a richness and dream like look that matches the fable style story telling, to a tee. It really is art as film. And I love that.

One of the most beautiful techniques in the film is a flowing scene transition, where the man and woman are walking away from us and the background morphs into a different set. Those transition scenes felt magically. I really enjoyed the middle of the film where they go to the big city. The dancing scene was great and the little side touch about the woman who's dress straps keep falling down was clever.

The end scene was heart wrenching and those large waves when the man and woman were in the little boat were very dramatic! The opening scene which plays out like a dark German expressionistic film was tense and powerful! I bet Hitchcock loved this film.

But I can't get passed the fact that the man had planned out a murder of his wife and just about killed her on the boat...then awhile latter they're happy as clams. The emotional impact of what the man was, and what he wanted to do to his wife, made his character evil in my eyes, so that I couldn't fall in love, as the couple fell in love. Visually the film is magic, but in my eyes the man could not be redeemed so that I couldn't buy into anything else that happened.

It's an impressive looking movie and I've very glad it was nominated.

Care for some gopher?
... But I can't get passed the fact that the man had planned out a murder of his wife and just about killed her on the boat...then awhile latter they're happy as clams. The emotional impact of what the man was, and what he wanted to do to his wife, made his character evil in my eyes, so that I couldn't fall in love, as the couple fell in love. Visually the film is magic, but in my eyes the man could not be redeemed so that I couldn't buy into anything else that happened. ...
Yeah, that's understandable. I didn't buy it, too. But it didn't bother me, either.

Yeah, that's understandable. I didn't buy it, too. But it didn't bother me, either.
When I was looking for a photo for my Sunrise review, I found some examples of the cool tech shots that was used.

I very impressed with how they aligned this double exposure and the scene went on for awhile and was very effective.

I just loved shots like this which are rear projection with rear shot being a composite ( I think that is what this is?)

The title cards were animated too, very cool.