The MoFo Top 100 Action Movie Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Hey, Omni, sorry I didn't send in a list, but cool start. Two movies I've seen and like to some degree. But shouldn't you start a new thread for the actual countdown?
It was discussed earlier and I didn't see much point, it's going to be inflated with intermittent posts regardless.

None of those movies made my list. Mad Max so low is shocking.

Omni can you pm me my list back.
Yeah, gimme a bit.

Originally Posted by CosmicRunaway
That picture is from The Road Warrior (1981), not Mad Max (1979).
****! I'll fix it.

I've seen 3/4, but none of them were on my list. I didn't even consider them, but figured Advent Children might be there since a few people mentioned loving it when Omni reviewed Kingsglaive.

Who the hell voted for that ^^^.
I thought Omni reviewed Kingsglaive, but I think it was just a post earlier in this thread. Ultraviolence mentioned loving it, so he's probably one. If I had to guess, I'd say him and Omni had it pretty high on their lists.

Welcome to the human race...
What in the hell, if I'd known voting for Akira was an option it'd have been my #2 pick.

I meant to watch Akira, but never got around to it. I only very rarely watch animated films. If a lot of this list is anime, not many of my picks are going to make it haha.

I thought Omni reviewed Kingsglaive, but I think it was just a post earlier in this thread. Ultraviolence mentioned loving it, so he's probably one. If I had to guess, I'd say him and Omni had it pretty high on their lists.
I did vote for it, but Ultraviolence didn't.

2. Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children

Frankly, I'm disappointed that Advent Children doesn't get more appreciation. I read criticisms about how "the characters look weightless" and it annoys the crap out of me especially given the other movies that will appear higher up in this countdown.

You got guys with 7-foot swords throwing skyscrapers at each other, why can't you just like fun?

Welcome to the human race...
I kinda figured on that reaction. Glad it's on the list at least.
Depends on what significantly inferior works rank above it, I guess. It's my own fault, I guess.

INCIDENTALLY, in lieu of what Iro was saying, there's a bunch of movies super high on this countdown that I also would have put on my list if I hadn't personally discounted them as "action".

Depends on what significantly inferior works rank above it, I guess. It's my own fault, I guess.
Well, if it's any consolation, the next movie may not be better, but it's surely more thought of as "action".

If I considered Nausicaa an action film it would have been on my list. Mad Max is okay I think.
I also love Nausicaa (it's in my top ten), but when I think of it I don't think of the action sequences.

Frankly, I'm disappointed that Advent Children doesn't get more appreciation. I read criticisms about how "the characters look weightless" and it annoys the crap out of me especially given the other movies that will appear higher up in this countdown.

You got guys with 7-foot swords throwing skyscrapers at each other, why can't you just like fun?
While I enjoyed the gameplay and kept playing because of it, I was not a fan of the story in FFVII, and didn't care for any of the characters. If it wasn't for the Materia system, it would probably be one of my least favourite J-RPGs. I thought Advent Children wasn't a good idea when I heard about it, but understood why it was being made. FFVII fans are very devoted and vocal.

There's nothing wrong with the action in Advent Children, but that's really all the movie had going for it other than being pretty. It was also just too over-the-top for me, which is the same problem I have with a lot of action-focused Japanese animation. It also came at a time when I was getting sick of anime in particular, which certainly didn't help.

Mad Max is more of a revenge drama to me. Maybe thriller-ish... nevertheless, didn't vote for it. I only enjoy the 2nd and 4th movies tbh.
I agree here, and that's part of the reason why I don't like Mad Max so much. I wasn't invested in the drama (which takes up most of the movie) and found it rather dull. I do like the final act, when Max goes for his revenge and we do get some action sequences, but it's not enough for me to call it an action film.

While Beyond Thunderdome has a ton of problems, I like it for what it is. But it's definitely nowhere near on par with The Road Warrior and Fury Road.