Silent Film Era Hall of Fame

Tools    

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Diary of a Lost Girl

Really liked the story and the silent performance of Louise Brooks. I saw Brooks in Pandora's Box and enjoyed her performance there but I think she was even better in this one. It took me awhile to decipher the story because it was a bit complex, but once I understood what was going on I really enjoyed it. I don't know why but the score bugged me a bit at the beginning. I felt it didn't match the mood of the film until the second half. I also really thought the story wrapped up very well at the end. I feel like even though I appreciated it, I should have still appreciated it more. Perhaps this will be a silent that I will be interested in watching again to see all of the stuff that I unintentionally missed out on. Real glad this was nominated though.

Care for some gopher?
I desperately need a link for The Crowd. The one i have doesn't work for me.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
Oh and the skeleton clock was cool too!
I honestly don't even remember that in there. I will have to see if I can find a picture of it somewhere.

Still, a terrific film.

THANK YOU!!!! Yeah, I have been having a lot happening that really hasn't made life too easy for me. So I haven't been the happiest of people lately. But when I saw that cricket really liked my movie, that seemed to make my day. It really did make me feel a little better today.

Anyone hear from her?
I'm going to PM her, anyway. I know we are past the halfway mark. So I will see what's what.

I found a link for Max and he said it worked.
Thanks for doing that. I really didn't think that would've been such a hard film to obtain like that.

I didn't have my blu-ray player for about a week and the two movies I have for this right now are blu-ray, so that's my excuse. Now I need to get back on this.

The Big Parade (King Vidor, 1925)

I loved this film it was truly a treat to watch. Not only a great silent film but a great film period. The romance in the French village was so charming and so special that I could feel the love developing between James (John Gilbert) and Melisande (Renee Adoree). I found Renee Adoree to be captivating on the screen, she was so naturalistic in the emotions that she expresses, that she was utterly charming.

From the time the Dough Boys arrive in the French village until they went off to war, that was my favorite part. Though all of the film is special.

I loved how the film spent enough time showing the first meeting of James and Melisande and their developing romance. The barrel carrying scene was fun! and I could feel the joy in their hearts. Rarely does a film connect with me like The Big Parade did.

Another scene that was special is by the river, when he keeps touching her arm playfully and she keeps pushing him away... with a glimmer in her eyes for him.

And this is cute, I rarely say 'cute' but it is cute!

And I equally loved the night time rendezvous scene, with the gum chewing. I could really feel the love developing there it was magic.

All of this leads up to the heartbreaking scene when she finds the photo of his old girlfriend. Finally the romance that has built up cumulates in a heart wrenching scene as James is marching off to war with Melisande fearing she will never see him again.

Wow! That's a powerful scene. The movie could have ended here and I would still give it a 5/5...But we get even more! The war scenes were equally powerful and well done, especially as they were scored so well which made the war so somber and hopeless looking. The director really made the point that war is hell!..but love triumphs all!

Care for some gopher?
Like your write-up, altough i don't agree with it.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Typical blockbuster of the time. Wings is better.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I just have one more to go, Sunrise A Song of Two Humans. Has anybody watched it from the youtube link that was posted?

If so is did it look good!...BTW how's everybody else doing on watching the noms?