The 11th Hall of Fame

Tools    

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (Shane Black, 2005)
Imdb

Date Watched: 9/16/16
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: The 11th MoFo Hall of Fame
Rewatch: Yes

I've seen this movie once before, but it was a few years ago and all I could really recall about it was that I wasn't impressed.

I gave it a watch today since it was announced as one of the nominations for the 11th MoFo Hall of Fame. Overall, it was a good bit of fun. It had some really witty dialogue and I enjoyed the banter between Robert Downey, Jr., who I generally like anyway, and Val Kilmer, who I generally don't like (Tombstone and The Doors being the exceptions). However, I didn't feel any strong emotional connection with any character so my enjoyment of the film was pretty superficial. I suppose that's appropriate since the film itself strikes me as being pretty light fare - which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but also isn't quite what I hope for from a Hall of Fame nomination.

I also wasn't exactly enamored with the story. For being something that is neither science fiction nor fantasy, this movie demands a considerable amount of suspension of disbelief. There are entirely too many coincidences and convenient situations. To call it implausible would be an understatement.

Still, it was an easy watch and I do like me some Robert Downey, Jr.

I'm adding the link to the first post this time, because like an idiot i forgot to reserve posts. So Miss Vicky's is the first up in the first post obviously, just so everyone knows where a quick link is to see what everyone else thinks about each nom.

Wow, that was fast, already a write up on the 1st day. I wish I had seen the movie so I can say something about it I did read and like your write up.

Is Kiss Kiss Bang Bang a film noir? I heard it called that.

I suppose that's appropriate since the film itself strikes me as being pretty light fare - which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but also isn't quite what I hope for from a Hall of Fame nomination.
I'm genuinely curious what you mean by this? Do you avoid the light fare you love to attempt to make an impact on the members?

Honestly, that's a good way of going about nominating i've just never thought like that myself. I think if i did and i thought hard about something like that and most ended up hating it i'd be devastated . I just decided to go lighter this time because of my grim (still not grim guys) nom last time and i think Bringing Up Baby may be the most pleasant film i've ever seen.

I like Val Kilmer; he's in two movies that I love, Wonderland and The Salton Sea. Good job Miss Vicky, I hope my second viewing of the movie is an improvement like yours was.

I'm terrible with the definitions of genres, but I'd say it generally fits that description.

Wow, that was fast, already a write up on the 1st day. I wish I had seen the movie so I can say something about it I did read and like your write up.

I've heard it called a noir too.

I generally choose heavier films for HOFs because I feel like they prompt more discussion than something like this does.
Yeah, that's true. The big three discussion wise last time were Ugetsu, Lilya 4-Ever and Amour. Spoiler: they are all really depressingly depressing, except Ugetsu maybe because the studio ruined the film in time

Overall, it was a good bit of fun. It had some really witty dialogue and I enjoyed the banter between Robert Downey, Jr., who I generally like anyway, and Val Kilmer, who I generally don't like (Tombstone and The Doors being the exceptions).
I definitely agree with this. The relationship between RDJ and Kilmer (and their banter) is definitely what makes this movie for me. It's not a new dynamic, but it's one I enjoy nonetheless. It's a rather quotable movie for me as well, but maybe that's just because everyone I know seems to be bad at basic math.

I seen Gideon say that Kiss Kiss Bang Bang was a noir. So that makes me even more curious about the film. I guess I'll write about that when I watch it.

MV, is this a comedy at all? Did you find it funny?

MV, is this a comedy at all? Did you find it funny?
Yes, it's got a lot of comedic elements to it. It's probably moreso buddy comedy than it is film noir and I got a few good chuckles out of it.

Yeah, that's true. The big three discussion wise last time were Ugetsu, Lilya 4-Ever and Amour. Spoiler: they are all really depressingly depressing, except Ugetsu maybe because the studio ruined the film in time
Lilya 4-Ever kicked off a good conversation, in part, thanks to you suggesting we watch it... as it was on youtube. That turned out to be a good thing because most of us watched it at the same time and really got into discussing it.

Lilya 4-Ever kicked off a good conversation, in part, thanks to you suggesting we watch it... as it was on youtube. That turned out to be a good thing because most of us watched it at the same time and really got into discussing it.
Yeah, i like how everybody was saying we should think of a film to watch at the same time to discuss it. And i got bored and said i'm watching Lilya so everybody else did

I loved The Nice Guys, so I am expecting to like Kiss Kiss quite a bit. One of those I should have seen by now because it is my taste, but it has just slipped through the cracks.

Yeah, it was a good move on your part, and it made for a fun time. You make a good wingman, so next time I host you're hired to ride shotgun

Citizen (left looking cooler than me), Camo (right)

We'll change seats next HOF