The Movie Forums Chain Challenge

Tools    

I updated the OP

Since Mr Minio is opting out, ill keep it going

Omnizoa, would you please pick a movie for me be gentle

Finished Embrace Of The Serpent. I truly feel a big studio is dropping the ball big time by not making this with one of those $100 million dollar budgets theyre doing so frequently now. Picture Dances With Wolves, meets Apolcalypto, meets Altered States, but its based off true events.

Embrace Of The Serpent
How would a bigger budget have helped?

The Nanny -

Don't read this if you haven't seen it because there is spoilers and i can't be bothered with the tags.

This was really good. My biggest surprise was the kid who played Joey, after reading what it was about i was fully expecting an insufferable child performance i think he did a good job though. He was annoying but i think he struck the perfect balance between as annoying as the character called for and genuinely annoying that he ruins your enjoyment. The mother was the only one i didn't like, she was just way too overdramatic i'm glad she wasn't in it that often really. Bette was great as usual of course. Kind and patient throughout (well until she was revealed of course) but she gave Joey these looks that made it clear that she wasn't all sweet and caring.

It was obvious from the start that at least some of what Joey was saying was true and that he most likely did have a reason to be scared of her. Still i was curious how big Bette's role would be, while the payoff wasn't mindblowing i think it was a good way to go making her mad rather than evil. One thing i don't think was clarified unless i missed it, was Joeys prank with the doll in the bath what retriggered her madness? I would guess it must have but when she was talking about it to the aunt she said the initial death was what made her mad and she made no mention of getting better once Joey left. If she was mad throughout then it is odd that they would make everything happen after the prank.

Anyway great nom Citizen. I've only seen three from Bette so far i think this is my second favourite behind Whatever Happened To Baby Jane?. Will have to ask my mum if she has seen this one, if not i'd imagine she'd love it.

And if anyone wants to pick me again i'm still in. Of course i'd suggest you pick the people who have shown interest but not had a go first.

How would a bigger budget have helped?
Visually. This is the amazon, and the majesty of it, B&W film does not do it justice. The Amazon is the star of the movie. The acting in this was top notch, both actors that played the Shaman were solid.The directors a genius for pulling this off with the budget he had. I feel the story was strong enough to where they could have done it more justice from a production standpoint.

The black and white was obviously a stylistic decision, don't you think?

I have to agree with Swan here about Embrace of the Serpent. Turning it into a big budget action adventure Hollywood film would work against the film and it would be probably suck.

The Nanny -

Don't read this if you haven't seen it because there is spoilers and i can't be bothered with the tags.

This was really good. My biggest surprise was the kid who played Joey, after reading what it was about i was fully expecting an insufferable child performance i think he did a good job though. He was annoying but i think he struck the perfect balance between as annoying as the character called for and genuinely annoying that he ruins your enjoyment. The mother was the only one i didn't like, she was just way too overdramatic i'm glad she wasn't in it that often really. Bette was great as usual of course. Kind and patient throughout (well until she was revealed of course) but she gave Joey these looks that made it clear that she wasn't all sweet and caring.

It was obvious from the start that at least some of what Joey was saying was true and that he most likely did have a reason to be scared of her. Still i was curious how big Bette's role would be, while the payoff wasn't mindblowing i think it was a good way to go making her mad rather than evil. One thing i don't think was clarified unless i missed it, was Joeys prank with the doll in the bath what retriggered her madness? I would guess it must have but when she was talking about it to the aunt she said the initial death was what made her mad and she made no mention of getting better once Joey left. If she was mad throughout then it is odd that they would make everything happen after the prank.

Anyway great nom Citizen. I've only seen three from Bette so far i think this is my second favourite behind Whatever Happened To Baby Jane?. Will have to ask my mum if she has seen this one, if not i'd imagine she'd love it.

And if anyone wants to pick me again i'm still in. Of course i'd suggest you pick the people who have shown interest but not had a go first.
Very cool! That you liked it. Bette Davis made several films latter in her career that were physiological thrillers, and there fun watches. Bette's always great fun to see.

The black and white was obviously a stylistic decision, don't you think?
Mm, I think it was a stroke of genius on the directors part to make it B&W since he didnt have the production to do it justice in a more direct manner. He pulled off kinda what Speilberg did making JAWS, made a better movie with a broken shark. He didnt have the budget, but made up for it in other areas. If this movie was in color, it would look like a low production, things would be seen clearer, film quality wouldnt be HD etc... but since its in B&W it never gives off that impression. Does that make sense?

I think it is more expensive to shoot in B&W now. I have heard that, might be a fairy tale though.
Well then Im completely wrong

I have to agree with Swan here about Embrace of the Serpent. Turning it into a big budget action adventure Hollywood film would work against the film and it would be probably suck.
No an action/adventure theme would suck. Im thinking more like Dances With Wolves in the Amazon, but there would be shades of harder fare like what was in Apocalypto & Altered States.

Mm, I think it was a stroke of genius on the directors part to make it B&W since he didnt have the production to do it justice in a more direct manner. He pulled off kinda what Speilberg did making JAWS, made a better movie with a broken shark. He didnt have the budget, but made up for it in other areas. If this movie was in color, it would look like a low production, things would be seen clearer, film quality wouldnt be HD etc... but since its in B&W it never gives off that impression. Does that make sense?
I see what you're saying. I agree that B&W can hinder a film that would otherwise have such a vibrant landscape, but I don't think a big budget is really needed to achieve that. Aguirre, the Wrath of God is a good example.

I have seen Hard Boiled, the John Woo movie
Well then, in that case:

If you can watch it in the English dub it's funnier that way.

I pick CosmicRunaway.

TONGO + Swan (Embrace Of The Serpent)
Swan + Daniel M. (Close Up)
Daniel M + MonnoM (Closet Land)
MonnoM + Omnizoa (Doomed Megalopolis)
Omnizoa + Tugg (Young Adult)
Tugg + Camo (Blue Lions)
Camo + Citizen Rules (?????)

Citizen Rules + Cricket (Samurai Rebellion)
Cricket + The Usual Suspect (The City of Lost Children)
The Usual Suspect + Redwell (Vagabond)
Redwell + TONGO (?????)
TONGO + Omnizoa (Dragon Tiger Gate)
Omnizoa + CosmicRunaway (?????)
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dragon-Tiger-Gate.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	26860  

Well then, in that case:

[left]If you can watch it in the English dub it's funnier that way.

I pick CosmicRunaway.
Done

Omni, if you weren't planning on watching Gen-X Cops (1999), then consider that my official recommendation for the challenge. If you were going to watch it anyway, then let me know and I'll think of something else.

That was easy.

Even if I don't agree with him rating Beyond Re-Animator higher than Re-Animator 2 , I'd like a rec from re93animator.

Too many re-animators in that sentence.