Citizen Rules...Cinemaesque Chat-n-Review

→ in
Tools    

My wife really liked Bridge of Spies, we often agree on films luckily.

I hated Spielberg's War Horse and AI, so it's not like I love everything he does, but yeah this one was a good one.

Jamaica Inn (Alfred Hitchcock,1939)

Director: Alfred Hitchcock
Cast: Maureen O'Hara, Robert Newton, Charles Laughton
Genre: Adventure

Synopsis: On the rugged coastline of Cornwall, England in 1819, a group of murderous criminals operate out of the Jamaica Inn, luring passing ships to their doom on the rocky shore. As the ships flounder and the crew try to swim ashore, the outlaws attack, leaving no man alive to tell the tale of the stolen bounty.

Review:
Hitch had made 23 previous feature length films before making Jamaica Inn which is based on the Daphne Du Maurier novel. Hitch would make two more films from Daphne Du Maurier novels: Rebecca (1940) and The Birds (1963). Jamaica Inn marks the last of the films Hitch would make in England before heading off to Hollywood.

This was also one of Hitch's least favorite films. Much of the problem stems from Hitch not having control over the film. The star, Charles Laughton was also the producer and as such, the star of the film had control of the shots.

Jamaica Inn
was a box office success, though as part of Hitch's canon, it often finds itself at the bottom of his films. Some of the blame can be attributed to Charles Laughton's choice of performance. Laughton who's one of cinema's greats, choose to play the aristocratic Bannister who's losing his mind, as an eccentric almost comical character. His performance is boisterously larger than life. The exaggerated make up and facial applications dramatically change the actors look, unfortunately it makes him look buffoonish. This works against the story because he's the antagonist that puts the young Irish woman Mary in peril (Maureen O'Hara).

Despite some problems, the film is still a treat to watch. The opening scene of the shipwreck and murder of it's crew is outright disturbing. Hitch really poured effort into these dark scenes and they still pack a punch today.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	11848_5.jpg
Views:	760
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	26046  

Leave Her To Heaven (John Stah,1945)

Director:
John M. Stah
Cast: Gene Tierney, Cornel Wilde, Jeanne Crain
Genre: Film Noir, Drama, Thriller

A writer meets a young socialite on board a train. The two fall in love and are married soon after. But her obsessive love for him threatens to be the undoing of both of them...and everyone else around them too.

It had been years since I last seen this. I have to say, I was even more impressed with this the second time around. It's not your typical 1940s Hollywood film, it has a quality to it that's hard to describe.

It's a slow burn, like sipping on a glass of fine brandy. At first it's easy, mellow and smooth. Slowly there's a growing sense that something is amiss with Ellen (Gene Tierney)...but she's so beautiful in another worldly way, that we're drawn to her like a moth to a flame. Richard (Cornel Wilde) is an innocuous man, and it's easy to be in his shoes and fall for Ellen. Who wouldn't?

I love the way the film really takes the time to develop the relationship between the two. So many films rush from the first meeting, to being in love in the very next scene. The strength of Leave Her to Heaven is the way the film never rushes the story.

No one but Gene Tierney could have played this part. She gives Ellen grace, beauty and a strange ethereal quality that makes Ellen attractive and yet reprehensible all at the same time.

The other thing I love is the look of the film. The art direction is sublime. The theme of aqua is used often in the film and is associated with Ellen. In set design, aqua is considered a 'cool color' and Ellen is cold as she is beautiful.

I love the care the director put into the scenes, one that stands out is the stair case scene. We see Ellen take her time getting dressed, she picks out aqua shoes and dresses in an aqua & white print negligee, which matches the wall paper. All of this, for a particular event in the movie. This simply scene of getting dressed, expresses the mindset of Ellen.

I love this film.

Attachments

Name:	train.jpg
Views:	836
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	26057   Click image for larger version

Name:	SLEEPWEARleave1.jpg
Views:	781
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	26058   Click image for larger version

Name:	close up.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	26059   Click image for larger version

Name:	a.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	26060  

Thanks Raul, glad you liked it. One of these Hofs, I will nominate another Gene Tierney film. I can think of a couple that would be interesting. Who knows when that will be???

Believe it or not, I have never seen a Blu Ray movie, that's true....and funny thing, I do own a Blu Ray player, crazy I know.
They are getting cheap. Now that UHD is getting started, you can move into Blu-ray.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

Bridge of Spies (Steven Spielberg 2015)
Director: Steven Spielberg
Cast: Tom Hanks, Mark Rylance
Genre: Drama, History

Synopsis (spoiler free): In 1960 during the height of the Cold War, an American lawyer (Tom Hanks) reluctantly agrees to defend an accused Soviet spy who has been captured (Mark Rylance). After the Soviet Union shoots down an American U2 spy plane, the CIA taps the lawyer to negotiate an exchange for the Soviet spy for the American spy plane pilot, Francis Gary Powers.

Review: What can I say, Spielberg is a genius, no wonder Bridge of Spies was nominated for best picture. Based on true events, this felt like I was there, witnessing these events as they took place in U.S. court rooms, and in integration cells and on the streets of East Germany. I was engrossed in this, it held my attention fast....and there's no real action scenes to speak of, the 'action' comes from the dialogue and the characters...and that worked beautifully.

Spielberg
knows how to put the viewer in the time frame, every detail in the sets is circa 1960. I believed it was 1960. Even those set pieces that are way out of frame have still been carefully selected and placed to give authenticity.

Tom Hanks
, I was confident before even seeing this that if Tom Hanks was in it, he would be good. He was excellent. He never breaks character, he never goes over the top. And he always seem genuine. He made the film. I also enjoyed the performance by the Soviet spy played by Mark Rylance.

What a nice offering from Mr Spielberg, keep em coming. I enjoyed it!

I had a feeling that you would like Bridge of Spies. I almost didn't watch it because I thought it was just a war movie, but it turned out to be one of my favorite movies of the year. It might even have gotten my vote for Best Picture. I liked it more than all the other movies that were nominated.

Dead Man Walking (1995 Tim Robbin)
Director: Tim Robbins
Writers: Helen Prejean(novel),Tim Robbins(screenplay)
Cast: Susan Sarandon, Sean Penn, Robert Prosky
Genre: Crime Drama

about: A nun who receives a letter from a death row inmate, then takes up his legal cause, while she walks a fine line between empathizing with the killer...and empathizing with his victim's families.

Sean Penn
has made a name for himself in such films as: Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982), Casualties of War (1989) and Milk (2008)...to name just a few of his fine films. Usually if Sean Penn is in the movie, it's worth watching.

I had seen Dead Man Walking years ago but had forgotten just how amazing of a performance Sean Penn gives! He totally immerses himself in the character, his accent, his body language, his demeanor, even his eye movements are so in tune with the type of character he plays. IMO Sean Penn is the best actor working today...Heck I would even rank him as one of the all time greats!

Susan Sarandon is pretty darn good too, and she needs to be as she is our eyes and ears into the world of a prison's death row. If her character was played in other way this film might not have worked as good as it did. It works brilliantly...

Director Tim Robbins, keeps the films subject matter of a convicted murder who claims he's innocent balanced, and I respect that. Sean Penn's character is not likable in fact he's creepy, but yet by the end of the film Robbins manages to make that character a human being and not just a monster.

I expected this to be an anti death penalty film. But no, this film is unflinching in showing the brutality of the crime and the destruction of the lives of the victims families as well as the hardships a prisoner on death row goes through. This is one intelligent film, that doesn't take sides, but shows it as it is and lets you decide how you feel about the death penalty. Powerful stuff.

Dead Man Walking was another movie that surprised me. I expected it to be just another predictable movie about an innocent man facing the death penalty, but I was wrong, and it turned out to be a much better movie than I expected. And I'm not a big fan of Sean Penn, so that wasn't easy.

Leave Her To Heaven (John Stah,1945)

Director:
John M. Stah
Cast: Gene Tierney, Cornel Wilde, Jeanne Crain
Genre: Film Noir, Drama, Thriller

Synopsis: A writer meets a young socialite on board a train. The two fall in love and are married soon after, but her obsessive love for him threatens to be the undoing of both them...and everyone else around them.

It had been years since I last seen this. I have to say, I was even more impressed with the film the second time around. It's not your typical 1940s Hollywood film. It has a quality to it, that's hard to describe.

It's a slow burn, like sipping on a glass of fine brandy. At first it's easy, mellow and smooth. Slowly there's a growing sense that something is not quite right with Ellen (Gene Tierney)...but she's so beautiful in another worldly way, that we're drawn to her like a moth to a flame. Richard (Cornel Wilde) is an innocuous man, and it's easy to be in his shoes and fall for Ellen. What guy wouldn't?

I love the way the film really takes the time to develop the relationship between the two. So many films rush from the first meeting of boy & girl, to being in love in the very next scene. The strength of Leave Her to Heaven is the way the film never rushes the story.

No one but Gene Tierney could have played this part. She gives Ellen grace, beauty and a strange ethereal quality that makes Ellen attractive and yet reprehensible.

The other thing I love is the look of the film. The art direction is sublime. The theme of aqua is used often in the film and is associated with Ellen. In set design, aqua is considered a 'cool color' and Ellen is cold as she is beautiful.

I love the care the director put into the scenes, one that stands out is the stair case scene. We see Ellen take her time getting dressed, she picks out aqua shoes and dresses in an aqua & white print negligee, that matches the wall paper. All of this, for a particular event in the movie. This simply scene of getting dressed, shows the mindset of Ellen.

I love this film.

I was surprised that Leave Her To Heaven didn't do better in the HoF. I thought it was one of the best movies nominated. (Sometimes I think this forum needs more older people. There are too many youngsters here who just don't appreciate the great old classics. )

Believe it or not, I have never seen a Blu Ray movie, that's true....and funny thing, I do own a Blu Ray player, crazy I know.

Don't feel bad. I have three Blu-Ray players, and only about a dozen blu-ray discs.

But I recently noticed that Walmart and Best Buy sell a lot blu-ray movies for under $10, so hopefully I'll add a bunch of blu-rays to my DVD collection around Black Friday this year.

Hurrah ... I'm finally caught up
Great stuff and I look forward to keeping up in real time in future lol.

20,000 Years in Sing Sing (Michael Curtiz 1932)
Director: Michael Curtiz
Cast: Spencer Tracy, Bette Davis, Lyle Talbot, Louis Calhern
Length: 78 minutes
Genre: Prison Crime Drama

About: An overly confident hoodlum (Spencer Tracy) who is convicted and sent up to Sing Sing prison. He's full of fight and believes he will soon be running the joint, but the no nonsense warden sets him straight.

Review:
Three good things about the movie:

The title! Is that a cool title for a film or what? Based on the novel that was written by a real life warden, Lewis E. Lawes...20,000 Years in Sing Sing tells the story of the prison from the viewpoint of it's newest member, Spencer Tracy.

2, The second best thing is that this is filmed at Sing Sing! Writer Lewis E. Lawes who was still the warden of Sing Sing at the time, allowed the movie crew to actually film inside and outside the prison. This gives the film a very real look as you are seeing Sing Sing circa 1932.

3, The third best thing is Spencer Tracy! If you only know him from his latter roles when he was much older, you should check him out as a young tough punk. He looks the part! And I believe he was as tough as his character was portrayed.

Bonus reason for watching this: Bette Davis decked out as a babe with platinum blonde hair, false eyelashes and a pretty snazzy art deco style dress. Miss Davis had this 'glamour look' at the insisting of Warner Bros studio. After 1934, she refused to have the glamour look and became the Bette Davis most of us remember.

I thought this was a good early precode movie. Nothing too risque happens, so it can't really be called a precode, except that it was made before the Hays Production Code went into effect.

Good story, good acting and a fun time at only 78 minutes long. What more could you ask for?

Attachments

Name:	a.jpg
Views:	706
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	26083   Click image for larger version

Name:	b.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	26087   Click image for larger version

Name:	c.jpg
Views:	557
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	26088   Click image for larger version

Name:	20000-years-in-sing-sing-2.jpg
Views:	603
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	26089  

I was surprised that Leave Her To Heaven didn't do better in the HoF. I thought it was one of the best movies nominated. (Sometimes I think this forum needs more older people. There are too many youngsters here who just don't appreciate the great old classics. )
Thanks, I appreciate that. I didn't know you like the movie so much. I'm glad a few people did.

Hurrah ... I'm finally caught up
Great stuff and I look forward to keeping up in real time in future lol.
Thanks Chyp! I appreciate the read and the reps I'm always happy to chat movies anytime