Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Zootopia
(2016):

I can probably count on one hand the number of animated films I've seen in the last 5 years (or more), so when I expressed interest in watching my room mate's newly purchased copy of Zootopia, he was understandably surprised and a little suspicious.

It was actually pretty good. The racial overtones were a little too heavy handed for me, but I guess when you're producing a movie primarily for children you need to make those things really obvious. The movie wasn't particularly long, but seemed to drag on a little for me, and I think it could've trimmed about 10 minutes off without hurting the story.

Overall it's definitely the best animated film I've seen in a long time, and has quite a few laughs and great performances. Even if you don't usually enjoy family movies, you might find something you like in Zootopia.

Welcome to the human race...
Deadpool -

Ever-so-slightly better a second time, but still underwhelming as hell. The score sampling "Beat It" is inspired, though.

The last movie that I watched was Insidious 3. Even though the film stuck to the basic norms of horror movie and there were conventional cliches thrown here and there, it still managed to scare me. Rating : 6.5/10. Now eagerly waiting for Conjuring 2.

Unregistered User

The Big Country (1958)

I'll post more thoughts in HOF at a later date as things are a bit hectic at the minute. Briefly, this really isn't a movie that I would have picked myself to watch but I'm glad I did. Peck was excellent and plays a really likeable character. Along with great scenery and score these all made a relatively long runtime fly by nicely.

Love Is A Many Splendored Thing (1955) -
+

This was ok. I can see why some would really love this not much worked for me that well though. There were some visually stunning scenes and i really liked the ending which i admit i didn't expect. Other than that the rest didn't excite me much. I didn't buy into the romance much, not sure why exactly at first i thought it may have been because it was a bit quick but then romances done faster have worked for me before, i think i may have just not felt the chemistry. William Holden was pretty good but i didn't like Jennifer Jones much personally. I really hated some of the dialogue too especially certain Jennifer Jones lines the nailbiting bit was especially eye roll worthy. Still visually impressive and if the romance works i can see some thinking this is great.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
Fearless (2006)

A biography of influential Chinese martial artist Huo Yuanjia, starring Jet Li.

We all know this plot. Arrogant fighter causes a tragedy, moves to a quiet village to become humble again, and returns, using his mad skillz to unite China against the foreigners. Great fighting, good plot. Not mind blowing, but a very solid kung fu biopic.

4 spinning backfists out of 5

Edge of Tomorrow (2014)

Finished here. It's been fun.
An Affair to Remember

A gorgeous movie. Impeccable framing and composition. I just personally found the whole film rather dull.

Dogtooth

Viewed in preparation for The Lobster. I'm still trying to gather my thoughts on whether or not I liked it.

We Own the Night
-

I'm quickly becoming a big fan of James Gray. He's a filmmaker infatuated with filmmakers like Elia Kazan and Francis Ford Coppola. Yet he still manages to have a unique voice and style.

Paris, Texas (1984) -
+

Gorgeous film. The soundtrack and visuals alone would make this great. This was just so intriguing from the start, this weird mute (at first) guy who doesn't remember much and has this weird connection to Paris, Texas. As slow as it was to reveal stuff it was still done pretty perfectly, seeing him regain his mind, confidence, etc, starting off with saying a few words then eating then driving through to him trying to connect with his son and get used to normal life again all without revealing anything of his past. Then from when they set out to find Jane it almost became a different film, the first half was still mainly serious but it had a mysterious edge to it and more humour than the second half which was just gut wrenching moment after gut wrenching moment. Travis and Jane's conversations through the glass were great scenes, really beautiful and sad in equal measures. The ending was fantastic and heartbreaking.

Some of the dialogue was outstanding including my new favourite joke of all time: "Daddy would make a joke about it, he would say he met momma in Paris then he would wait uh so everybody thought that he meant he was talking about Paris, France uh then he would say uh Texas Paris, Texas. " Man, i so love the way Harry Dean Stanton talks in this.

Great film glad i finally watched it.

We Own the Night
-

I'm quickly becoming a big fan of James Gray. He's a filmmaker infatuated with filmmakers like Elia Kazan and Francis Ford Coppola. Yet he still manages to have a unique voice and style.
I love this movie! Glad you like it too Lucas

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Ordet - 8.5/10

I've been wanting to see this for over a year - it finally came on TCM... Wonderful movie. The characters were very real to me, I could feel them.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Lost After Dark

I thought that the film The Final Girls, which is an homage to 80's slasher flicks, embraced the genre almost perfectly, but played it too safe resulting in a mixed bag. Lost After Dark fares even worse, having zero comedy, zero fun and drags the viewer through complete boredom before the final credits rolls. The film is a chore to get through and rewards the viewer with absolutely nothing.

At their high school dance a group of friends decide to steal a school bus and go up to a family cabin for some fun. Their bus breaks down in the middle of nowhere and the kids find themselves being picked off one by one from a crazed cannibal killer. Who will survive? What will be left of them? And every other 80's horror tagline you can think of.

This film desperately needed to be played for laughs and the biggest mistake it makes is that it chooses to play everything seriously. It wants us to believe that this film could have actually been from the 80's. Yet it has none of the charm that those slasher films had, as bad as some of those movies were, they had a sense of charm. This film has zero, nada, nothing really going for it. Being intentionally retro does not equal a good film.

It purposely inserts the classic "film grain" to make it feel authentic. It never works. It even lamely incorporates the "missing reel" gag that worked to hilarious results in Grindhouse. Here it's a pathetic attempt to try and feel more genuine. It fails, miserably. Aesthetic failures aside, the script fares even worse.

It seems the only thing the writers know about are the clichéd horror stereotypes. We are given the jock, the token black guy, the nerd, slut, good-girl, etc. We are forced to listen to them spew inane dialogue back and forth in a sad attempt at building character. It never works and makes the film feel longer than it actually is. The entire first half of the film drags at a wickedly slow pace and the so-called pay off of kills doesn't ever reach its potential.

I will give the film some credit though, it surprised me with the initial death. That one moment where they manage to fool the audience and pull the rug out from under our feet is the only interesting moment in the entire film.

Suspect's Reviews

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
Lost After Dark

I thought that the film The Final Girls, which is an homage to 80's slasher flicks, embraced the genre almost perfectly, but played it too safe resulting in a mixed bag. Lost After Dark fares even worse, having zero comedy, zero fun and drags the viewer through complete boredom before the final credits rolls. The film is a chore to get through and rewards the viewer with absolutely nothing.

At their high school dance a group of friends decide to steal a school bus and go up to a family cabin for some fun. Their bus breaks down in the middle of nowhere and the kids find themselves being picked off one by one from a crazed cannibal killer. Who will survive? What will be left of them? And every other 80's horror tagline you can think of.

This film desperately needed to be played for laughs and the biggest mistake it makes is that it chooses to play everything seriously. It wants us to believe that this film could have actually been from the 80's. Yet it has none of the charm that those slasher films had, as bad as some of those movies were, they had a sense of charm. This film has zero, nada, nothing really going for it. Being intentionally retro does not equal a good film.

It purposely inserts the classic "film grain" to make it feel authentic. It never works. It even lamely incorporates the "missing reel" gag that worked to hilarious results in Grindhouse. Here it's a pathetic attempt to try and feel more genuine. It fails, miserably. Aesthetic failures aside, the script fares even worse.

It seems the only thing the writers know about are the clichéd horror stereotypes. We are given the jock, the token black guy, the nerd, slut, good-girl, etc. We are forced to listen to them spew inane dialogue back and forth in a sad attempt at building character. It never works and makes the film feel longer than it actually is. The entire first half of the film drags at a wickedly slow pace and the so-called pay off of kills doesn't ever reach its potential.

I will give the film some credit though, it surprised me with the initial death. That one moment where they manage to fool the audience and pull the rug out from under our feet is the only interesting moment in the entire film.
Haven't seen it yet, and you're really making not want too. Is it really just a badly done homage to the majesty of 80's horror?

Haven't seen it yet, and you're really making not want too. Is it really just a badly done homage to the majesty of 80's horror?
That it is my friend. Check imdb if you don't believe me,

V/H/S

V/H/S is similar to ABC's of Death, in that multiple directors are given a little bit of time to tell a horrific story. The one difference is that V/H/S goes the Blair Witch route and tries to have it be realistic, despite some of the 'shorts' being really out there.

Some of it works, some of it doesn't. The unexpected is what the film relies on. The filmmakers have such a short time to surprise you, disgust you and make you scared. For the most part, they do a decent job. Some of the segments are really effective. I have appreciation for the first two, Amatuer Hour and Second Honeymoon. Both are well crafted and build the suspense wisely.

The rest of the film doesn't really match the success of the first two, but they also have some redeeming elements. What the film did was made me interested in seeing how the sequel plays out as well. I'm a fan of short stories that are effective, in the horror genre, this works well enough.

Planet Terror (2007)

Some mexican drug dealer likes to chop off people's balls and put them in a jar, and he takes on a team of renegade commandos led by Bruce Willis, somehow they release a biochemical nerve gas that turns everyone into zombies, Josh Brolin goes for revenge on his cheating lesbian doctor wife, Michael Biehn's a sherriff and Tom Savini's a cop, Fergie's there to show off her rack, and there's a stripper chick with an M16 for a leg. Lots of fun and breaking *****

Rating:
+ 7.5 / 10

PLANET TERROR

Rewatched Night and Fog. I only watched it 4 days ago but it didn't leave my head and i kind of needed to watch it again. Upping my rating to
+ easy. I think it is the best documentary i've seen even though i prefer Enron, as well as one of the best films ever made.