Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Birds (1963) -
++

The ending left me a little dry, but overall it's an interesting film that has some good suspense. I enjoyed watching the family's inner turmoil and them dealing with it and having to come together during this bird attack. Ultimately it just leaves me with too many unanswered questions.
I agree with this a lot. Solid direction, but it ended up feeling more lazy than ambiguous. I get not wanting to fully explain how the birds work, but very basic questions like "why are they like this" or "where did they come from" should be answered.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Very few Hitchcock films answer "basic questions", and if they do, the questions are largely irrelevant to enjoying the film. Hitchcock films do use an apparent structure based on plot, but they're presented as dreams or nightmares, and that's why you can be [needlessly, I believe] frustrated by a lack of logic.

The Ladykillers (1955) -
+

Surprised i liked this so much considering i hated the Coen version, very charming and funny with surprisingly likeable characters. It had a nice dry wit, something i can really enjoy if done right. I can see how the Coens remake didn't really work, this is like a time capsule, a very specific time and attitude in Britain was the key to this film, that just doesn't come across well if someone tries to replicate it. No one does bumbling criminals and/or police quite like us, specifically the English. I absolutely adored Mrs Wilburforce. Such a sweet, obvlivious old lady. So love how they try and confuse and manipulate her when she finds out. And how she unnecessarily blurts out Professor Marcus and Search Warrants . Very enjoyable film.

The Ones Below -

Started off as a very engaging/intense thriller, however as it went on it got fairly predictable and lost a bit of steam. Kind of reminded me of "The Gift" but wasn't nearly as good in my opinion.

(Bad) Neighbours 2: Sorority Rising (2016) -

Completely to my own surprise, I ended up really enjoying this movie.

Perhaps the comedy in Neighbours 2 was more my style, or maybe I just knew what to expect going into it, but I was laughing pretty much the entire time. Yes, this is basically the exact same movie they made before, but this time around the pacing is much better, and the whole situation is somehow more relatable than it was in the original.

It's not very often I find a comedy sequel I like better than the first film (let alone significantly better), and I certainly wasn't expecting it from this one. It probably doesn't really deserve the high rating I gave it, but I had too much fun watching this to care.

I have to return some videotapes...
Robocop (1987) -
++

Loaded with cliches and extremely bizarre script writing, Robocop isn't a cinematic achievement by any means, but it's a damn good ride.

Argo (2012) -

Not much to say about this. I enjoyed it, it was pretty entertaining and interesting with good performances. I just don't see it becoming a favourite or me ever watching it again actually.

The Seven Year Itch (1955)

Marilyn Monroe always lights up the screen, but this movie has too much of her and too little of anyone else who's worth watching. It's a harmless and easy to watch movie, but there's not much else.

Breaking Bad season 2

Not every episode of the season was brilliant, but there's brilliance in abundance. The great performances/characters have continued. It's nice to have a show that my wife and I both love, although it has been somewhat uncomfortable with her continuously pointing out the similarities between me and Walter. Making it even worse is that he looks very much like my father, who she hated. She hates his character, and now she likes Jesse.

Oh, you are on BB just now, cricket? Man, you're in for a ride...

Robocop (1987) -
++

Loaded with cliches and extremely bizarre script writing, Robocop isn't a cinematic achievement by any means, but it's a damn good ride.
*makes a mission to track colejwalker down*

Dead or alive, you are coming with me.

Welcome to the human race...
Blue Valentine -

In which Ryan Gosling channels his inner Nicolas Cage.

Unregistered User

The Spy Who Came in from the Cold (1965)

Surely one of the best spy movies of all time and Burton makes it his own with a quite brilliant performance. Dark, gritty and cold (obviously), the way a spy movie should be (most of the time).

I think it's a bit harsh to say Robocop isn't a cinematic achievement, whilst I don't love it as much as some on here, I think it's a good film, and I'd argue even from an artistic viewpoint that it's quite a good cinematic achievement. It's an interesting product of it's time, of an auteur, and a nice play around with the political action film and sci-fi genres.

I think it's a good film, and I'd argue even from an artistic viewpoint that it's quite a good cinematic achievement.
I think it's a good cinematic achievement especially from an artistic viewpoint. While I always thought the ED-209 was a bit cheesy, Frank's make-up is absolutely gorgeous and still impressive even by today's standards.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
D.E.B.S. (2004)

Cheesy spy pastiche with lesbian romance. Enjoyably daft and has a great soundtrack. A definite candidate for next time we have a guilty pleasures countdown.