Omni's Random Video Noise

→ in
Tools    

Schindler's List
Historical Drama / English / 1993

WHY'D I WATCH IT?
It's been a movie I haven't been sure whether or not I've seen for years, but it wound it's way up on my watchlist and earned top priority after Miss Vicky included it in Sexy Celebrity's Strong Emotions Countdown thread.

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky
seeing this re-enactment of events and people showed me that monsters are real. They don't hide in closets or under the bed, but they exist.
WHAT'D I THINK? *SPOILERS*
Horses, dogs, and Schindler's List all teach us the crucial lesson not to be like Nazis.

You can be WAY MORE EFFICIENT exploiting inferior people than they were!

Ugghh... I watched this movie for 3 fffffffffffffffff****in' hours... *YAWN* and it's my own damn fault for watching it when I was so tired, but whatever what's the first thing we check when it comes to a long, movie? Whether it kept my attention the whole way through, did it?

Yep.

Hearing the name so frequently and yet never knowing even the most pitiful ****in' thing about it left me with a lot of surprises.

Ben Kingsley? Alright.
Liam Neeson? Cool.
Ralph Fiennes?? As a bad guy? Neat.
Steven Spielberg!? Didn't know he had it in him.

I didn't even know anything about the real Oskar Schindler, so the developments were a total surprise for me too (The women went to Auschwitz!? NOOO!! HOW DO YOU **** THAT UP!?) and honestly I think this was a pretty interesting story to make a movie about. Too often I feel that historical dramas aren't well picked for their effectiveness as actual stories.

Overall I think the movie was very well made, the acting was spot on and now following Strange Days I've become very fond of Ralph Fiennes. He has quite a presence as... uhhh...

...Amon Goth, yeah, that's right, I totally remembered that name *closes Wikipedia tab*

He's easily my favorite character and I really loved how he acted as a foil to Schindler (or more accurately, how Schindler was a foil to him). I was disappointed that their relationship never actually escalated into any sort of resolving confrontation, I was waiting what felt like the whole movie for him to lay into Schindler for being a Jew-lover or something.

I can concede that bit for sake of historical accuracy, but perhaps the biggest strike I would lay against the movie is honestly against Schindler's character himself.

There seems to be scant little separating him from the schmoozing war profiteer and the Direktor With a Heart of Gold.

Was he always that way?

It doesn't seem like it. He must have transitioned then.

When?

I dunno, he has a few shots looking on at genocide with a frowny look before complaining that he's losing money for each worker that gets killed. I'm legitimately not seeing much emotion here. But then BOOM! all of the suddenly he's all tears and hugging at the end of the movie because it's now just suddenly struck him that he coulda saved more lives if he were frugal?

Well, yeah, fair point, he was arguably generous to fault, though it could also be said that his overcompensation reinforced his social standing-WHATEVER, THE POINT WAS I didn't buy it.

I did like the "He who saves a life saves the world entire" line, though.

But, I guess that's where the artistic decision to limit color to the little girl in a red coat who appears twice, seemingly arbitrarily when Schindler's looking on at the killings.

Perhaps it's the death of the girl in the red coat that symbolizes the unseen arc beneath the surface of the enigmatic Schindler? Perhaps Schindler was a generally concealed man and they wanted to preserve that air of mystery about him so they picked a face out of the crowd to connect us to Schindler in that way?

I could totally buy that if not for WHAT I JUST READ!

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Spielberg said the scene was intended to symbolise how members of the highest levels of government in the United States knew the Holocaust was occurring, yet did nothing to stop it. "It was as obvious as a little girl wearing a red coat, walking down the street, and yet nothing was done to bomb the German rail lines. Nothing was being done to slow down ... the annihilation of European Jewry," he said. "So that was my message in letting that scene be in color."
What a load of ****, dude! How the **** is the audience supposed to glean that? Symbolisms have to tie into the moment of the movie, they have to make sense IN WORLD! You can't just extrapolate beyond the realm of immediate relevance to make a connection.

That'd be no different than if you picked out Stern's clipboard and colored it bright green as the only color in the whole movie to say, "It's as obvious as a bright green clipboard that Germany's blitzkreig was doomed in the Battle of the Bulge".

The Battle of the Bulge has nothing to do with this whole movie! And neither does the US bombing German rail lines! The US isn't even inferred in dialog BY ASSOCIATION until the end of the movie by which point, THE GIRL IS ALREADY GONE! It's impossible to make the connection withou a leap of ****in' faith!

DUMB! This movie is DUMB! In that ONE PART!

There also wasn't any BDSM so they took some creative liberties there (probably censorship).

Final Verdict:
[Pretty Good]

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	schindlers-list-movie-clip-screenshot-making-hinges_large.jpg
Views:	1389
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	25680   Click image for larger version

Name:	schindlers%20list%20facts.jpg
Views:	1423
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	25681   Click image for larger version

Name:	schindler_breaksdown_ending22.jpg
Views:	1315
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	25682  

Chasing Amy
Romantic Comedy / English / 1997

WHY'D I WATCH IT?
Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity
You could watch my guilty pleasure movie. "Chasing Amy" (1997)
A romantic comedy? Uh-oh.

Another movie with a lot of big names, Chasing Amy is an odd duck. It doesn't seem to be uniformly good or bad, but bursts of both in equal doses.

I had quite a few chuckles in this movie ("Chicks? Such a MAN."), but I was almost as frequently turned off by the humor and... shall we say "irreverent" dialog.

Bribing someone into karaoke with ecstacy?

Rapidfire graphic descriptions of cunnilingus gone wrong?

Bait-and-Switch Lesbians into an inappropriately drawnout snogfest for the discomfort of the protagonist? HAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA........

And normally that stuff would be more than enough to put me off, but to be honest I found the characters fairly refreshingly realistic. The general dialog and delivery feels natural (at least until Jay and Silent Bob show up) and I really get a sense of these characters, with My Name Is Earl's Jason Lee as the relative highpoint for me.

He's a total dick, but I buy him. He's a very genuine dick. And I totally believe that he loves dick jokes. Dick.

Let's get serious though.

There were quite a few things that bothered me in this movie, more in subtle ways that obvious ways, but let's build up to the biggest WTFs.

Our Token Black character (whose name and actor I don't remember because I can be damned if I remember anyone's name in this one) makes some interesting points, but he sticks out unpleasantly.

He promotes Ra-Ra-Racism as a publicity stunt while hiding the fact that he's a flamboyant gay. Even trying to ignore the annoying stereotype, it drags itself back into focus in what seems to be a throwaway line:

What is it about gay men that terrifies the world?
What bothers me is the context in which this line is used since it immediately follows him irresponsibly encouraging a kid to fear and hate the "White Devil".

First off: This kid doesn't know it's a ****ing joke, he's going to grow up to be a racist little prick!

Second off: Is your question rhetorical? Because it seems that gay men instill terror in children through fearmongering other demographics.

Third off: That line seems to refer specifically to the fact that he feigns a personality, concealing his generally flamboyant one.

( o_o) I don't get that. Better to hate whitey than learn that I'm... gay? Why are the two mutually exclusive? They're entirely unrelated. And flamboyant doesn't mean gay or vice versa!

Honestly, the worst thing I can say about him is that they took the two most shallow things about him; the fact that he's gay and has dark skin, and made that his whole character.

Other stuff that bothers me are the extended conversations in which the our Love Interest argues in favor of redefining "****ing" and "virginity". Are our goals with this movie so ****ing low that this is the sort of social commentary that we're making?

REALLY???

Was it really imperative that Kevin Smith get across to audiences his personal feelings about how going knuckle-deep into a vagina totally counts as sex?

I've said it before with the whole transgender thing, the more you try to rip open existing definitions and stuff new meaning in, the less useful the words become.

Alright, so licking genitals counts as "making love" now.

Okay, so when is somebody going to argue that you can "make love" without involving genitals at all? As soon as somebody snorts derisively at the idea that "Oh, you're one of those people who equating ****ing to penetration!" I just tune out, because I cannot be ****in' bother to care about their smug sense of "open-mindedness".

I have another issue with just this general sense that bisexuals are either not a thing or a thing to be loathed and disdained. Earl Hickey's comments on "the pink mafia kicking you out" suddenly collide with reality when this circle of girls apparently CANNOT grasp the concept of one of them digging a guy.

For ****'s sake, WHAT DO YOU CARE!? WHAT IT'S ****ING TO YOU, WHAT'S THIS "ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST" CRAP!?

Oh no, she likes someone and... they have a penis and... things with penises are evil, THIS IS ONLY REINFORCING STEREOTYPES!

But no, my biggest issue with this movie is how these previously realistic characters SUDDENLY, just ****in' outta NOWHERE take their stupid pills as if the script was literally appended with big spots of red ink that say, "FORCE CONFLICT HERE".

So we've built up Affleck and Nasally Voice's relationship pretty well so far, right? We get a time lapse, they've spent a lot of time together, they really like each other and finally Ben's like, "Okay, I gotta tell her how I really feel about her", stops the car they're in and just says, matter-of-factly, "Look, I really like you, this is what I've been feeling lately, and I know it may be difficult to understand and I'll be totally accepting if this makes you uncomfortable and you don't wanna hang out anymore, but I just had to say it."

Totally reasonable, well articulated, emotional, but not pushy, being a nice guy, right?

Her response?

What. A ****in'. BITCH.

And you know what, it'd be one thing if they made the "I'm GAY, you idiot!" argument and stuck to it, but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, she runs back and starts suckin' face like the whole conversation WAS MEANINGLESS!!!

.apine tuiovv.pncyb a,. pva,t. n uizeoutibou zoevui .o cpi n.p izeobe uib-o.ei**** you movie.

And then it goes on and on and on and on and then we have another thing where Batfleck finds out that Tonsil Hockey had a lot of freaky flings back in the day starts in on her during a hockey game after which we have an IDENTICAL SCENE in which she very articulately explains all of the different ways it shouldn't bother him and that the fact that she's settling for him now should really be telling him something.

His response?

What. A ****in'. BITCH.

These two are perfect for each other can't you tell?

I'm glad I found video clips rather than having to explain in large caps why this guy's a stubborn idiot.

FORTUNATELY, at least the second argument is eventually resolved in the sense that he learns that he was wrong thanks to a odd appearance by extremely UNrealistic characters, Jay and Silent Bob (crossing over with Clerks at this point), the latter of which being the source of some much needed humor and an overdue logic bomb.

So, Fleckman's got a job that needs doing. He's gotta resolve his friendship with both his best friend and girlfriend. Well good, it's finally time to sit down and talk it out.

Ya know, it'd be GREAT if that worked in this make-believe universe, but as she goes on to point out it's just not that simple and shouldn't even be necessary to mend a relationship.

Everyone splits up and we end on an oddly drawn-out conversation of hand gestures from across a room.

Altogether? NOT as bad as I was expecting it to be, it was even pretty funny at times, but it's still chock full of the muddy relationship crap that plagues these kinds of movies.

Also, Bluntman and Chronic? At least it wasn't a stoner comedy.

Final Verdict:
[Meh...]

Attachments

Name:	chasingamydvdripac30527jp6.png
Views:	806
Size:	340.4 KB
ID:	25691   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chasing-Amy-pic.jpg
Views:	1052
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	25692   Click image for larger version

Name:	k5djJvYToYIHJOpIMidYgEB-ElLMu1la_640x360_54041667654.jpg
Views:	900
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	25693   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ads_z8.jpg
Views:	636
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	25694  

I think she's kinda crazy. Joey Lauren Adams, AKA Alyssa Jones, AKA Nasally Voice. I had a big problem with her the first time I saw the movie. You're right about how bitchy she was to freak out at Holden (Ben Affleck) when he expresses his feelings to her.... and then she just runs back to him and wants him.

To me, it looks like she's just trying to get out of the rain. Like, she screams at him, she goes nuts, "HOW DARE YOU! I'M GAY!" -- then she runs away from him and proceeds to hitchhike.... then she realizes, oh crap, I'm terrible at hitchhiking and I'm stuck in the rain.... so she decides to stop the lesbian crap for the time being and runs over to Ben Affleck's arms. "TAKE ME! TAKE ME NOW! Get me out of the rain." She just needs a ride so she won't be caught in the rain.

I feel for Holden (Ben Affleck) the most, though. I completely understand why her sexual past bothers him. I think the movie's a tragic story for Holden and for Holden's relationship with his friend, Banky (Jason Lee). For some reason, what Alyssa does with Holden breaks up the Holden/Banky comic book duo. She's like the Yoko Ono to their Beatles. Now you may not agree with me about all I'm saying, but that's how I feel about it.

In Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, Banky (Jason Lee) and the black gay guy from this movie... are seen together. TOGETHER. As in, they're a gay couple now.

But confusingly, I've heard Kevin Smith apparently say that Banky isn't gay. I think he is, though. Or bi, at least, or something. I get a sense from Chasing Amy that Banky has secret feelings for Holden (Ben Affleck). He may not want to admit them... but I think they're there... and I think he's jealous of Alyssa having Holden. I think Holden's right -- Banky does have feelings for him.

I see Chasing Amy as a sad, tragic, non-traditional romance. A lot of people think the message of the movie is, "You shouldn't judge people based on their past behavior." I think that's all fluff. A cutesy, easy explanation for everything. Holden loves Alyssa, but he's bothered by all the sh*t she's done, and the way she acts. Forget the sex stuff she's done -- the way she acted in that rain scene is evidence, I feel, that she's not all right in other areas. She's a loon. But he loves her anyway. I think their breakup is all her fault. When she smacks him at the end and leaves.... ridiculous. Holden's trying his best to work through his issues with her. He wants to be with her, but she won't give him a chance. I think she's probably just not comfortable trying to be straight. We see at the end that she's back with a new woman. He's uncomfortable with her, she's uncomfortable with him, and men in general. But I think he actually does try to work things out with her... just as she tried to work things out by being in a relationship with him since he was crazy about her. It wasn't her that made the first move -- it was him.

I think she's kinda crazy. Joey Lauren Adams, AKA Alyssa Jones, AKA Nasally Voice. I had a big problem with her the first time I saw the movie. You're right about how bitchy she was to freak out at Holden (Ben Affleck) when he expresses his feelings to her.... and then she just runs back to him and wants him.

To me, it looks like she's just trying to get out of the rain. Like, she screams at him, she goes nuts, "HOW DARE YOU! I'M GAY!" -- then she runs away from him and proceeds to hitchhike.... then she realizes, oh crap, I'm terrible at hitchhiking and I'm stuck in the rain.... so she decides to stop the lesbian crap for the time being and runs over to Ben Affleck's arms. "TAKE ME! TAKE ME NOW! Get me out of the rain." She just needs a ride so she won't be caught in the rain.

I feel for Holden (Ben Affleck) the most, though. I completely understand why her sexual past bothers him. I think the movie's a tragic story for Holden and for Holden's relationship with his friend, Banky (Jason Lee). For some reason, what Alyssa does with Holden breaks up the Holden/Banky comic book duo. She's like the Yoko Ono to their Beatles. Now you may not agree with me about all I'm saying, but that's how I feel about it.
I only don't agree with the understanding Holden part. It's long past happened and it's not really as if she were lying to his face about it.

And even if she was, so what? What can he do about it now? It doesn't and shouldn't affect them. Silent Bob makes the most sense when he blames it on insecurity. No better rationalization is offered.

In Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, Banky (Jason Lee) and the black gay guy from this movie... are seen together. TOGETHER. As in, they're a gay couple now.
Oh REALLY? I've seen that movie, but don't remember that at all. It's kinda cool to see that sort of background continuity.

But confusingly, I've heard Kevin Smith apparently say that Banky isn't gay. I think he is, though. Or bi, at least, or something. I get a sense from Chasing Amy that Banky has secret feelings for Holden (Ben Affleck). He may not want to admit them... but I think they're there... and I think he's jealous of Alyssa having Holden. I think Holden's right -- Banky does have feelings for him.
Seemed confirmed when he agrees to the threesome.

I see Chasing Amy as a sad, tragic, non-traditional romance.
That's Harold and Maude in my book.

A lot of people think the message of the movie is, "You shouldn't judge people based on their past behavior." I think that's all fluff.
Supposedly that was sort of the concept that inspired Kevin Smith to make it.

I only don't agree with the understanding Holden part. It's long past happened and it's not really as if she were lying to his face about it.

And even if she was, so what? What can he do about it now? It doesn't and shouldn't affect them. Silent Bob makes the most sense when he blames it on insecurity.
.... Alyssa's not really wrong by not telling Holden about her sexual past with men. As she said during a freakout, she didn't tell him because Holden thinking he was her first man ... made him feel special.

But why should Holden be wrong for being uneasy about what she's done? Looking at Holden as if he's so terrible for being freaked out by her many secret sexual escapades in the past... kinda feels to me like you're saying, GET OVER IT! It's sex and sex should always be excused, no matter how much sex someone has had.

I'm saying -- that's not true. I think finding out your girlfriend or boyfriend used to be a slut can be grounds for being upset. Why not? It says something about that person and it could even predict future behavior -- what if she gets the urge to be an "experimental girl" while in a monogamous relationship with me? It's a red flag. Holden was getting red flags from Alyssa.

But the movie - and I guess Kevin Smith - is trying to push an "accept all the differences between you and your lover" kind of message. And that's OKAY -- that's an interesting message to think about -- things between Holden and Alyssa could have worked out if he hadn't freaked out -- BUT -- Holden freaked out, and I don't think it's wrong that he did. I think it's understandable. Banky freaked out, too. Banky freaked out about Alyssa's past, worried she was diseased. Holden wasn't alone here. There's reasons to be concerned about someone's sexual past. It shouldn't be 100% excused all the time. The movie may be trying to convey that particular message, but I don't agree with it.

Originally Posted by Omni
Oh REALLY? I've seen that movie, but don't remember that at all. It's kinda cool to see that sort of background continuity.
In theory it's cool, but I don't personally like it. I think Banky and the black gay guy (Hooper) are a terrible couple. It upsets me. It makes Chasing Amy even more upsetting. I'd rather see Banky with Holden.

If Banky's in love with Holden.... Hooper is just so wildly different from Holden. It makes me feel like Banky's not getting something he needed. He doesn't have the right kind of man. I don't buy it. I think it's just another careless thing Kevin Smith tossed in.

Originally Posted by Omni
Seemed confirmed when he agrees to the threesome.
Yep.

But why should Holden be wrong for being uneasy about what she's done? Looking at Holden as if he's so terrible for being freaked out by her many secret sexual escapades in the past... kinda feels to me like you're saying, GET OVER IT! It's sex and sex should always be excused, no matter how much sex someone has had.

I'm saying -- that's not true. I think finding out your girlfriend or boyfriend used to be a slut can be grounds for being upset. Why not? It says something about that person and it could even predict future behavior -- what if she gets the urge to be an "experimental girl" while in a monogamous relationship with me? It's a red flag. Holden was getting red flags from Alyssa.
As in one red flag that evidently shocked him because it isn't substantiated by her regular behavior. Honestly this whole issue feeds to into a matter of paranoia that I feel is generally destructive in these kinds of relationships. "What if she gets the urge to be an 'experimental girl'" presumes to place value on the concept of monogamy itself which is something I've never really bought into.

There's a degree of common sense involved, but to a large extent it drills into a very restrictive and possessive idea of what a romantic relationship should be.

That's what I call Monogamy Syndrome in movies. It's a culturally validated plot device for creating conflict.

In theory it's cool, but I don't personally like it. I think Banky and the black gay guy (Hooper) are a terrible couple. It upsets me. It makes Chasing Amy even more upsetting. I'd rather see Banky with Holden.
Seems like it'd be the canon shipping.

If Banky's in love with Holden.... Hooper is just so wildly different from Holden. It makes me feel like Banky's not getting something he needed. He doesn't have the right kind of man. I don't buy it. I think it's just another careless thing Kevin Smith tossed in.
Like that entire character.

As in one red flag that evidently shocked him because it isn't substantiated by her regular behavior. Honestly this whole issue feeds to into a matter of paranoia that I feel is generally destructive in these kinds of relationships. "What if she gets the urge to be an 'experimental girl'" presumes to place value on the concept of monogamy itself which is something I've never really bought into.

There's a degree of common sense involved, but to a large extent it drills into a very restrictive and possessive idea of what a romantic relationship should be.

That's what I call Monogamy Syndrome in movies. It's a culturally validated plot device for creating conflict.
Yes, but polygamy or polyamory -- whatever it is you seem to be into -- is your own personal way of seeing the world/looking at relationships. And while it may be true that humans are naturally not very monogamous creatures.... monogamy is still widely practiced and accepted. It's going to be depicted in films whether you like it or not. You can go watch movies with poly relationships, if you want, but that doesn't mean it has to be enforced everywhere. Nor do your ideas about sex and all that.

Frankly, you're almost sounding as stubborn as transgender people when it comes to your beliefs. Which doesn't surprise me since you did tell me that I needed to get over my idea that men and women should have separate bathrooms -- since you seem to believe we all should be sharing the same restroom. Something I am against.

Yes, but polygamy or polyamory -- whatever it is you seem to be into -- is your own personal way of seeing the world/looking at relationships. And while it may be true that humans are naturally not very monogamous creatures.... monogamy is still widely practiced and accepted. It's going to be depicted in films whether you like it or not. You can go watch movies with poly relationships, if you want, but that doesn't mean it has to be enforced everywhere. Nor do your ideas about sex and all that.
I wasn't suggesting polygamy be socially enforced at all (and I'm not "into" it either *laughs*), that would bother me as well. The problem is one of them is enforced and monogamy just happens to be it.

It bothers me most because you see all these movies and TV dramas that revolve around this idea, not even necessarily involving infidelity, but few actually attempt to explore where this problem really originates, because "monogamy" seems like throwing in a yellow card, "it's against the rules" so to speak.

That just seems flimsy to me.

Honestly this reminds me of the first and second episode of Death Parade where this very topic was opened up and dissected. It made some fair arguments about it.

Again, it's more important to me whether or not the other person was lying than whether they had X amount of sex prior to the relationship.

Frankly, you're almost sounding as stubborn as transgender people when it comes to your beliefs. Which doesn't surprise me since you did tell me that I needed to get over my idea that men and women should have separate bathrooms -- since you seem to believe we all should be sharing the same restroom. Something I am against.
It reminded me of that too, but more because we both seem to be in agreement up to a point. You don't want women in a bathroom used by men and you want to be able to hold peoples' sexual pasts against them.

Doesn't click with me, but that's what I'm getting.

The Nightmare Before Christmas
Stop-Motion Musical / English / 1993

WHY'D I WATCH IT?
It's been a while since I've given anything a 5/5 and there's a certain line stuck in my head right now...

"Well, at least they're excited, but they don't understand
that special kind of feeling in Christmas Land... oh well..."

It may come as a surprise for me to say that I don't actually celebrate any holidays. I don't even LIKE Halloween and Christmas.

But if there were one thing I dug about either holiday it's their festive and thematic qualities and Nightmare Before Christmas indulges purely in that.

NBC may be the most difficult thing for me to review fairly because I've watched it so many times and it's so entrenched in my nostalgia that it's a challenge to take off the rose-colored glasses and lay into it like any other movie.

Watching it again I can pick out a few things, but nothing that comes across to me as much more than nitpicking. There're occasional bouts of awkward animation, one or two continuity errors, and I'd be amiss if I didn't admit that the movie certainly doesn't come across with any sort of agenda beyond being unabashedly silly, even with it's lyrics.

One lull in the movie I've always felt is Sally's Song and just the general attempt to mold some skeleton of a romance into the plot. I really don't mind Sally, I find her interesting, but her solo song has always been the least interesting bit of the movie to me. It doesn't put me off as much as it used to, but I can still comfortably say it's my least favorite part of the movie.

There's also something to be said of the occasionally morbid character visuals that present the denizens of Halloween Town as intentionally unattractive. Fortunately, it's all meant in good spirit and it hardly detracts from my favorite thing about the movie that it's visuals.

I've since seen higher quality stop-motion animations, and even ignoring what must have been a tremendous amount of work to shoot (simulating camera movement in stop-motion must be a royal bitch) for sake of bias, I cannot help but praise the overall design of the world(s) which appeals to me on a truly fundamental level.

The use of small isolated sets that give the impression of a stage play in combination with the surreal yet internally logical design of the environments really present this movie as more of an imagination grounded in a very specific range of emotions. It's not just the visual themes it's trying to evoke it's the emotional ones as well.

It's that touch of German Expressionism I brought up in Metropolis where the focus isn't in engaging you through realism (that's arguably an uphill battle anyway), but in engaging you through emotive design.

In that sense I think it's an absolute success and everything in the small details, from the clever lighting to the patchwork of themes, be they Rudolph or Dracula, feed directly into that.

A musical certainly isn't anything without it's music though and Danny Elfman really hits it out of the park because I'll be damned if I don't remember every single line of every single song.

I must emphasize though that it's not merely the composition of the songs or the lyrics that progress the story that appeal to me. A big chunk of credit MUST also go Danny Elfman's charismatic delivery as well as to Chris Sarandon (both of which double as hero, Jack Skellington's, voice) and to Ken Page who plays the villain, Oogie Boogie. Their varied emphasis and enunciations are just too much fun NOT to mimic.

Reeling it in, the story is about simple as any child's wonderment story could be. The king of Halloween is bored and wants to try something new and that's when he discovers Christmas. Shenanigans ensue!

It's not merely a comedy though, it's more of an adventure story with ideas of self-exploration and not overstepping your bounds, and in the pursuit of that story it does quite a few interesting things in it's attempt to crossover these two universes. Perhaps it's why one of my favorite pieces is Jack's Obsession:

It's not the most visually interesting piece and the song itself doesn't really stand out among it's peers, but the concepts that it juggles what with Jack, an avatar of Halloween and fear trying to rationalize what it is that appeals to him about Christmas and cheer just clicks with me, perhaps because this idea of trying to make sense of things and questioning yourself sounds familiar.

I struggle to explain what it is I exactly like about THIS MOVIE.

Sometimes I make mistakes, sometimes I make BIG mistakes and despite good advice I have to learn the hard way where it is I ****ed up, should have stepped back, and reconsidered.

Ultimately all I really have to do is say, "Look, the movie may be flawed and you're free to point out those flaws to me and explain why Coraline or ParaNorman or whatever is an objectively better movie, but you know what? I don't care. I love this movie. And you'll be hard-pressed to do one better in my book."

It's also one of my favorite worlds in Kingdom Hearts so there's that too.

Final Verdict:
[Friggen' Awesome]

Attachments

Name:	Halloween-3.jpg
Views:	713
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	25702  

I wasn't suggesting polygamy be socially enforced at all (and I'm not "into" it either *laughs*), that would bother me as well. The problem is one of them is enforced and monogamy just happens to be it.

It bothers me most because you see all these movies and TV dramas that revolve around this idea, not even necessarily involving infidelity, but few actually attempt to explore where this problem really originates, because "monogamy" seems like throwing in a yellow card, "it's against the rules" so to speak.

That just seems flimsy to me.

Honestly this reminds me of the first and second episode of Death Parade where this very topic was opened up and dissected. It made some fair arguments about it.
I'm not sure I understand. I feel like you're saying if some character in a movie cheats on their lover and they're lover goes, "WE WERE SUPPOSED TO BE MONOGAMOUS!!!", the cheater is unfairly seen as evil, instead of exploring the idea that this person was simply being human and having a moment where their hormones just happened to take over. Is that it? The problem is the idea of monogamy and shaming others is enforced, while exploring the idea that cheating may be natural isn't? Cause I could see your point there.

and you want to be able to hold peoples' sexual pasts against them.
I just think certain people who are bothered by someone's sexual past have every right to be bothered. If your lover had thousands of lovers in the past and it doesn't bother you, that's OK. But Holden (Ben Affleck) from Chasing Amy should not have to join in with the non-bothered people if he doesn't want to. Just like if a good Christian woman falls in love with a Satanist and she finds out later that he's a Satanist, she shouldn't have to be cool with it.

People leave relationships for countless reasons. Why should a person's sexual history be given a free pass? When we seek employment somewhere, people wanna know where we've worked before. It's the same with relationships -- people wanna know what we've been doing with whom. Where we were at before. If we were at certain "places" -- or maybe at TOO MANY PLACES -- that can signal a wrong match for us. Now, of course, rejecting a person for that kind of reason could be a mistake, but - GASP! - it might not be.

Just trust me on this. I know from experience. I know how there's been a growing movement to "accept everything." It's wrong. It's totally wrong. If you get a red flag, you better take it seriously. You better accept how it's making you feel. Don't listen to what other people believe in. Go with your instincts. Actually, sometimes people can warn you about problems you don't see, too. That's also worth listening to, as well. Just listen to everything that comes up. Don't ignore. Don't ignore yourself.

I'm not sure I understand. I feel like you're saying if some character in a movie cheats on their lover and they're lover goes, "WE WERE SUPPOSED TO BE MONOGAMOUS!!!", the cheater is unfairly seen as evil, instead of exploring the idea that this person was simply being human and having a moment where their hormones just happened to take over. Is that it? The problem is the idea of monogamy and shaming others is enforced, while exploring the idea that cheating may be natural isn't? Cause I could see your point there.
Uuuuummmm no. I said "not even necessarily involving infidelity", just this idea that relationships these days where "he/she is mine, not yours" or being very guarded about who your significant other spends a lot of time with, it's just terribly possessive and I don't think that's healthy.

Although you're right, I don't think infidelity is very often fairly judged on it's own merits. On one hand I think it can be a supremely stupid thing to do, but then I'm thinking on the movie, Locke, where the guy's wife's just completely inconsolable, refusing to talk, and wants to kick him out of the house for something he did and regretted a long time ago and has since apologized for. That just drives me up the wall.

I just think certain people who are bothered by someone's sexual past have every right to be bothered. If your lover had thousands of lovers in the past and it doesn't bother you, that's OK. But Holden (Ben Affleck) from Chasing Amy should not have to join in with the non-bothered people if he doesn't want to. Just like if a good Christian woman falls in love with a Satanist and she finds out later that he's a Satanist, she shouldn't have to be cool with it.
That's a very strange analogy.

People leave relationships for countless reasons. Why should a person's sexual history be given a free pass?
Well, on a surface level: because that should be considered already. If someone's sexual past would bother you for some reason or really ANYTHING including whether they worship Satan or not, it should be gotten out of the way before you start making awkward confessions to them.

I mean, if "sexually adventurous" is not a quality you desire in that person, then why leave that question hanging in the air to cause problems later? Why presume? Why not just say, "Look, I have a need to pry into your sexual history, please tell me how many guys, girls, or non-human animals you've had sex with, in what positions, format, and sexually transmitted diseases you may have accrued in the process"?

Whether that comes off as rude, funny, or totally reasonable then BOOM, issue out of the way.

What gets to me is that this should be any sort of friendship ending thing. Would that information have ruined your friendship with that person? If not, then why should it ruin your intimate relationship?

Holden bothers me particularly because he openly admits that it's not women he's concerned about her having sex with, but men. How is that not a double standard?

When we seek employment somewhere, people wanna know where we've worked before. It's the same with relationships -- people wanna know what we've been doing with whom. Where we were at before. If we were at certain "places" -- or maybe at TOO MANY PLACES -- that can signal a wrong match for us. Now, of course, rejecting a person for that kind of reason could be a mistake, but - GASP! - it might not be.
Again though, this is an analogy that operates on the idea that you're being interviewed before the job. It wouldn't make much sense for your job to fire you several years into it because they learned you used to steal office supplies or something, right? Not without evidence that you're still doing it.

Just trust me on this. I know from experience. I know how there's been a growing movement to "accept everything." It's wrong. It's totally wrong.
That's certainly not me.

Uuuuummmm no. I said "not even necessarily involving infidelity", just this idea that relationships these days where "he/she is mine, not yours" or being very guarded about who your significant other spends a lot of time with, it's just terribly possessive and I don't think that's healthy.
It can be a burden, but many people are jealous types. Marriage can be a very possessive thing. You have the wife, the house, the car. Toys of your own.

Although you're right, I don't think infidelity is very often fairly judged on it's own merits. On one hand I think it can be a supremely stupid thing to do, but then I'm thinking on the movie, Locke, where the guy's wife's just completely inconsolable, refusing to talk, and wants to kick him out of the house for something he did and regretted a long time ago and has since apologized for. That just drives me up the wall.
There's a TV show I know of... umm... a man cheats on his new wife. She's the daughter of this woman... who lives with three other women... and all of the women are ready to kill the man for cheating.

"We're gonna drink white wine spritzers with Gloria Steinem, Betty Friedan and Marlo Thomas and figure out a way to fry your wandering male behind."

Last time I saw it, I thought -- they're all getting so angry at him, but did they ever stop and wonder about WHY he cheated? I mean, the wife had short, mannish hair and wasn't attractive at all.

That's a very strange analogy.
Sex, religion, what's the difference? Virgin/slut. Christian/Satanist. You get the picture.

Well, on a surface level: because that should be considered already. If someone's sexual past would bother you for some reason or really ANYTHING including whether they worship Satan or not, it should be gotten out of the way before you start making awkward confessions to them.
But it isn't always. That's sort of the point. In Chasing Amy, they didn't get it out of the way. She kept it a secret from Holden that she had been sexual with a bunch of guys. She practically did lie to Holden if she was making him believe he was her first man.

I mean, if "sexually adventurous" is not a quality you desire in that person, then why leave that question hanging in the air to cause problems later? Why presume? Why not just say, "Look, I have a need to pry into your sexual history, please tell me how many guys, girls, or non-human animals you've had sex with, in what positions, format, and sexually transmitted diseases you may have accrued in the process"?

Whether that comes off as rude, funny, or totally reasonable then BOOM, issue out of the way.
You're not wrong. Getting it out of the way isn't bad if you want it out of the way.

What gets to me is that this should be any sort of friendship ending thing. Would that information have ruined your friendship with that person? If not, then why should it ruin your intimate relationship?
It could ruin the friendship with the person.... it may not, but it could. Who knows? All of this stuff can be very messy and tricky, but the point is, if something bothers you, you may be right to be bothered. If you can't be friends with a person for some reason, you can't be friends with them.

Holden bothers me particularly because he openly admits that it's not women he's concerned about her having sex with, but men. How is that not a double standard?
That may sound bad, but it's not the whole story. Holden was falling for Alyssa BEFORE he found out she was apparently a lesbian. He was expecting her to be straight in the beginning. One could assume he probably expected her, as a straight woman, to have slept with men in the past.

Then he finds out she's a lesbian.... and she makes him believe he's her first man ever. She did it "because it made him feel special." But what she's done... complicated things. Suddenly Holden doesn't want to lose that specialness, it seems.....

But I personally think there's more to it. I don't think it's just the sex stuff that's bothering Holden. On the surface, it may be. But underneath, I kinda think he's just bothered by Alyssa in general. Alyssa and Holden both have issues -- but Alyssa's issues seem more front and center, I think, in this whole relationship. There's the fact that she kept information from Holden.... the fact that she was an experimental girl (and Holden probably wasn't THAT experimental)... the fact that she freaked out one second after Holden told her he loved her, then the next second, she's in love with him! There's also the fact at the end of the movie with how she dumps him when he was trying, in his own way, to deal with her.

Holden's own issues probably revolve around repressed sexuality. The issue with Alyssa's men could be sparking something with Holden about his own sexual feelings for men. I think it's why he gets the idea to have a threesome with Alyssa and BANKY. Suddenly, from out of his mind, he gets the idea to solve his issues with Alyssa by having sex with Banky. Now where on Earth did that come from? And why is Alyssa so pissed at the end? She's pissed because Holden is trying to turn gay. She WAS gay and she tried to turn straight... now Holden is trying to turn ... at least bisexual.

The root cause of Holden's inner conflicts with Alyssa probably comes more from his own issues with his sexuality. As I think you said at one point -- he was inadequate. He felt inadequate as a straight guy -- probably the reason why he liked the idea that he was having sex with a woman and he thought he was her first man. When that WASN'T THE CASE, Holden's inadequacy and his issues struck him harder. So he changes and tries to become something else -- something that might intrigue Alyssa the way he intrigued her when he thought he was her "first man" -- he becomes gay, too. He becomes bisexual, like her. In a last ditch effort to fascinate her again -- because he feels like she's not fascinated by him anymore after he finds out he wasn't her first man. He's lost a sense of virility he used to have when she blows away the fantasy SHE concocted (that he was her first man). He liked her for who she was at first -- but then he finds out she's a lesbian, and she puts him in a fantasy, and suddenly things go south. It's why I blame her -- because I think she plays mind games with him.

Again though, this is an analogy that operates on the idea that you're being interviewed before the job. It wouldn't make much sense for your job to fire you several years into it because they learned you used to steal office supplies or something, right? Not without evidence that you're still doing it.
Well... they can fire you if they find out you lied on your resume.

It can be a burden, but many people are jealous types. Marriage can be a very possessive thing.
And that's part of the reason I don't like marriage.

Last time I saw it, I thought -- they're all getting so angry at him, but did they ever stop and wonder about WHY he cheated? I mean, the wife had short, mannish hair and wasn't attractive at all.
*laughs* I'd have guessed because they were murderous psychos.

Sex, religion, what's the difference? Virgin/slut. Christian/Satanist. You get the picture.
Mmmmmmmmmmmm... both have such different connotations though. I know what you're getting at at least.

But it isn't always. That's sort of the point. In Chasing Amy, they didn't get it out of the way. She kept it a secret from Holden that she had been sexual with a bunch of guys. She practically did lie to Holden if she was making him believe he was her first man.
I would place a big part of that on Holden though. He didn't even know let alone ask these things that he thinks are so important before deciding he was in love with her. That "puppy love" thing makes a comeback.

Oh I was totally into you, but now I've learned that you're X and that really turns me off. *break ties, walks away*

You're not wrong. Getting it out of the way isn't bad if you want it out of the way.
Are you suggesting some people prefer it be IN the way?

It could ruin the friendship with the person.... it may not, but it could. Who knows? All of this stuff can be very messy and tricky, but the point is, if something bothers you, you may be right to be bothered. If you can't be friends with a person for some reason, you can't be friends with them.
You're missing my point though, I'm talking about the distinction between platonic and intimate relationships.

What if Holden found out about her past BEFORE he they started an intimate relationship? He was learning new things about her already, what if he learned that she'd been in a threesome before?

Can you imagine that ruining their friendship, does that seem like the kind of thing that would prevent him from talking with her, laughing with her, and hanging out?

I don't think so, and I say that because a lot of people have this weird separation in their heads where you can be friends, more than friends, or nothing. There's no room for "let's try a deeper relationship and see if it works out, if not we'll just be friends" and suddenly things that would have been overlooked as a friend are personally accosting as a sexual partner.

That may sound bad, but it's not the whole story. Holden was falling for Alyssa BEFORE he found out she was apparently a lesbian. He was expecting her to be straight in the beginning. One could assume he probably expected her, as a straight woman, to have slept with men in the past.

Then he finds out she's a lesbian.... and she makes him believe he's her first man ever. She did it "because it made him feel special." But what she's done... complicated things. Suddenly Holden doesn't want to lose that specialness, it seems.....
So being her first penis is some sort of badge of pride that he didn't want to lose so he broke it off? Even if she lied to his face that's profoundly shallow.

But I personally think there's more to it. I don't think it's just the sex stuff that's bothering Holden. On the surface, it may be. But underneath, I kinda think he's just bothered by Alyssa in general. Alyssa and Holden both have issues -- but Alyssa's issues seem more front and center, I think, in this whole relationship. There's the fact that she kept information from Holden.... the fact that she was an experimental girl (and Holden probably wasn't THAT experimental)... the fact that she freaked out one second after Holden told her he loved her, then the next second, she's in love with him! There's also the fact at the end of the movie with how she dumps him when he was trying, in his own way, to deal with her.
You're suggesting again that she's just nuts.

The problem with that is there's no narrative confirmation of it and women being fickle emotional idiots is a common trope in movies. It's far more likely that she was just written poorly.

Holden's own issues probably revolve around repressed sexuality. The issue with Alyssa's men could be sparking something with Holden about his own sexual feelings for men. I think it's why he gets the idea to have a threesome with Alyssa and BANKY. Suddenly, from out of his mind, he gets the idea to solve his issues with Alyssa by having sex with Banky. Now where on Earth did that come from? And why is Alyssa so pissed at the end? She's pissed because Holden is trying to turn gay. She WAS gay and she tried to turn straight... now Holden is trying to turn ... at least bisexual.
That's not confirmed by the movie either. In fact, Alyssa outright tells Holden why it bothers her. It reinforces his slanted perspective of her in his mind by assuming that she'd just be cool with it when she's stated that she's not that kind of person anymore.

This is backed up by their argument in the parking lot when she said she liked the way he originally felt about her. She doesn't want to lose that which is why she glossed over the truth. Now he's suggesting we feed directly into that so that HE can get over it, but that fails to consider her feelings on the matter.

It'd be kind of like finding out your partner accidentally killed a kid in a car crash and despite them feeling really guilty about it, you weren't able to let it go. Then you come back to them and suggest getting into a car together and running over some children so you can get over it. It's missing the point of why they concealed that information in the first place.

All of this is of course assuming that a threesome X many years ago is even that kind of a moral atrocity to begin with.

Holden doesn't appear capable of being able to accept that people can change. I'm sure he's done some stupid **** before. They emphasize the liberal/conservative angle wherein people look at things with different general perspectives. Alyssa may not have thought sex like that was that big of a deal, but what if she learned about something Holden had done that he didn't think was that big of a deal?

All of this just goes to inform that these kinds of things should be deal with before they can become problems.

The root cause of Holden's inner conflicts with Alyssa probably comes more from his own issues with his sexuality. As I think you said at one point -- he was inadequate. He felt inadequate as a straight guy -- probably the reason why he liked the idea that he was having sex with a woman and he thought he was her first man. When that WASN'T THE CASE, Holden's inadequacy and his issues struck him harder. So he changes and tries to become something else -- something that might intrigue Alyssa the way he intrigued her when he thought he was her "first man" -- he becomes gay, too.
That'sssssssssss an interesting interpretation.

He liked her for who she was at first -- but then he finds out she's a lesbian, and she puts him in a fantasy, and suddenly things go south. It's why I blame her -- because I think she plays mind games with him.
Mind games require an exchange and a lot of what Holden was dealing with was contradictions to his assumptions.

His claim to Banky that "she's totally into me" reads as pure delusion to me. Unless you put a presumptive weight on everything she says being veiled and read-between-the-lines kind of dialog, but playing those mind games, whether you're the speaker or the listener is almost ALWAYS a source of problems.

Well... they can fire you if they find out you lied on your resume.
Again that presumes there's an equivalent of a resume and even so it goes right back to what I said about lying. Lying is a totally different issue.

I'm not quite as enamored with Nightmare Before Christmas as you are, but it is among my favorites and it's nice to see you not bash something I love for a change.
It really appeals to me artistically and inspires a lot of my own work. Very few movies have a claim to that.

...thoughts on Schindler's List?

I think it's a much more powerful film than you give it credit for, but I'm glad you didn't hate it.
I was going to mention something to that effect, but I either forgot to or couldn't figure out where to fit it in.

I was honestly expecting it to be a very emotionally crushing movie, but maybe I've just been de-sensitized to it? I've seen The Boy in the Striped Pajamas and was honestly surprised it wasn't taken as far as that movie by showing us the gas chambers in use, even though it did have shocking moments (some of which being a bit predictable to me perhaps didn't help).

When I think of a really depressing and emotionally draining movie I think of Grave of the Fireflies.

Honestly, for me, a movie that shows me the how monstrous humans can be are movies that focus not on their actions, but on their mindset. How they sickly justify it to themselves. Some movies are really good at that.