Movie Tab II

Tools    

Please hold your applause till after the me.
Pan's Labyrinth is his only good work. It's a very good movie, but I would not go so far as to call it a masterpiece.
Del Toro has made good movies besides Pans Labyrinth, like the Hellboy movies, and Pacific Rim.

The Valachi Papers (Terence Young, 1972)
That movie is terrible. Easily the worst mafia movie i've ever seen and i've seen a bunch of crappy Gotti TV Movies haha. It's based on a really interesting and important book to US mafia history as well.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Bronson and Lino Ventura aren't bad, the castration scene is memorable and I liked what the actual Valachi Papers turned out to be, but yep, it's pretty blah.

Yeah, i agree those are the better things the movie has going for it. Although the castration scene is not in the book. Neither is quite a bit of it but that is the most notable thing. The book had plenty of material to make a good movie that i don't think adding stuff like that was even necessary.

Distant

My third Ceylan film. I really like this guy despite him not seeming like my kind of director. I love dialogue and often Ceylan uses little. However, when he does use dialogue, it is pointed and engrossing. I also love the way he unrolls a story. He gives you nuggets of where he is going with his characters which makes the quiet times quite compelling. His visuals are also excellent. Frames of old ships and cars driving down winding roads are artistic paintings in his hands. Ceylan is 3/3 with me so far.

Crest of the Wave aka Seagulls Over Sorrento (Boulting Bros., 1954)

Monsignor (Frank Perry, 1982)

L (Babis Makridis, 2012)
-
The Revolt of Mamie Stover (Raoul Walsh, 1956)

Prostitute Jane Russell gets kicked out of San Francisco at the start of WWII, migrates to Hawaii, and falls in love with writer Richard Egan who gets drafted. Later, she finds the old life calling her back, and gets mixed up with a man (Michael Pate) who takes advantage of her.
Gloria (Sebastián Lelio, 2013)

The Extraordinary Seaman (John Frankenheimer, 1969)

Crocodile Dundee II (John Cornell, 1988)

The Incredible 2-Headed Transplant (Anthony M. Lanza, 1971)

Mad scientist Bruce Dern(!) transplants the head of drooling psycho killer Albert Cole on his simpleton neighbor John Bloom. Why? So they could make another craptastic epic.
Gambling on the High Seas (George Amy, 1940)

Just Suppose (David Barclay, 1948)

Underwater! (John Sturges, 1955)

The Eternal Return of Antonis Paraskevas (Elina Psikou, 2014)

One (Christos Stergioglou) of Greece’s favorite TV personalities stages his own kidnapping to help pay his taxes, but until he gets the money, he has to keep his story in the news.
Vamperifica (Bruce Ornstein, 2012)

Around the World Under the Sea (Andrew Marton, 1966)

The Decks Ran Red (Andrew L. Stone, 1958)

Lamb (Ross Partridge, 2016)

Middle-aged Lamb (Ross Partridge) tries to overcome his recent personal losses by helping a lonely 11-year-old girl (Oona Laurance) come to appreciate nature on a “secret” trip to the Rocky Mountains, but how appropriate is their relationship?
Calendar (Atom Egoyan, 1993)

Dr. T and the Women (Robert Altman, 2000)

Birds of a Feather (Burt Gillett, 1931)

Executive Action (David Miller, 1973)

President JFK in the assassin’s sight, but it wasn’t Oswald - who was a patsy - in this conspiracy thriller.

Not a bad doc but I think I might be Steve Jobs-ed out. Besides the stuff with his daughter, which is all too common in our society anyway, there is nothing here to make me think Jobs is much different than most CEOs. Overseas tax havens, not mind blowing. Stock manipulation, you don't say. Maybe I'm too numb to fiscal corruption, I don't know.

I also think I'm dull when it comes to these geniuses of technology. I am glad for all the amazing engineers we have in this world. However, it feels like just that, a group effort. All this stuff feels inevitable to me. Each new gadget seems to transition into the next. It just feels like if it wasn't Steve Jobs, it would be someone else.

So yeah, this doc made me realize how jaded I am.

It just feels like if it wasn't Steve Jobs, it would be someone else.
Steve didn't do that much anyway. RIP, great man and all but he seemed like more of a personality behind other peoples work throughout his career starting with Wozniak who actually was pretty impressive but most who have heard of Jobs would have no idea who he is.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
The Incredible 2-Headed Transplant (Anthony M. Lanza, 1971)

There are times when just one gif isn't enough. This is one of those times

The Dark Knight Rises (Christopher Nolan, 2012)

The Dark Knight (Christopher Nolan, 2008)
+
Spooky Buddies (Robert Vince, 2011)
+
Air Bud 3: World Pup (Bill Bannerman, 2012)

For a number of reasons that mostly boil down to Bane and Catwoman. Those are easily my two favorite characters/performances of the series (The Joker is a not too distant third).

In fact, while I have some big problems with the franchise as a whole -- particularly its attempts at world-building and assumptions about society (which are just baked into the Superhero genre) -- I was so drawn in by the monumentally charismatic villains that I found just about any problems easy to forgive. That's less true of Batman Begins, the fatal flaw of which is that it wastes the first 45 minutes on dreary, unimaginative back-story and orientalist tropes. With 'Rises', Nolan wisely put the questionable call-backs to that stuff in the middle of the movie, by which point I'm already pretty invested in the plot, to the extent that I can even start to slightly appreciate the Ra's al Ghul stuff that left me completely cold in 'Begins'.

Cutthroat Island (Renny Harlin, 1995)

The Blonde from Brooklyn (Del Lord, 1945)
+
The Pride of St. Louis (Harmon Jones, 1952)

Run Boy Run (Pepe Danquart, 2014)

Durimg WWII, a Jewish boy (Andrzej/Kamil Tkacz) escapes the Warsaw ghetto, hides in the forest and then stays with a woman who teaches him to pass as a Catholic to escape the Nazis.
The Last Days of Disco (Whit Stillman, 1998)

From Hand to Mouth (Alf. Goulding, 1919)

Darkness (Jaume Balaguero, 2002)

Dune (David Lynch, 1984)

A Third Stage Guild Navigator has evolved from being a normal human by excessive exposure to the spice Mélange which enables him to fold space and safely guide starships on intergalactic travel.
Fata Morgana (Werner Herzog, 1972)

Blonde Inspiration (Busby Berkeley, 1941)

Vice Versa (Brian Gilbert, 1988)

Midnight Special (Jeff Nichols, 2016)

Father Michael Shannon takes his special son Jaeden Lieberher to a locale where something unusual but important will happen.
Beta House (Andrew Waller, 2007)

Smoke (Wayne Wang, 1995)

Blond Cheat (Joseph Santley, 1938)

A Taste of Honey (Tony Richardson, 1961)

Jo (Rita Tushingham) in her more innocent days before having to deal with the tough choices and heartbreaks of “grown-up” life.
Don’t Bet on Blondes (Robert Florey, 1935)

The Return of the Cisco Kid (Herbert I. Leeds, 1939)

The Whistleblower (Larysa Kondracki, 2011)

Bananas (Woody Allen, 1971)

After a series of crazy mix-ups, an incompetent products tester (Woody Allen) becomes the President of a Banana Republic and returns to the U.S. to score with the radical activist (Louise Lasser) who earlier dumped him.

So jealous you have seen Midnight Special Mark. I have been waiting weeks for it to come near me. How do you rate it compared to Nichols other films?

I rate Midnight Special, Mud and Shotgun Stories
and Take Shelter
. Midnight Special is a slow-burner, as are all Nichols' films, but this one starts off as if the first half hour was cut out, so the mystery aspect is played up while the relationships and recent activities of everyone are played down. The bursts of action and violence are very well-done. What it ultimately means is open to the individual viewer. It's heavily influenced by sci-fi movies of the past, but it seems to use them to tell a completely different kind of story, so some people will like to dig for what's underneath, while others well be ultimately disappointed by the lack of concrete answers to a few basic questions.

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly (Julian Schnabel, 2007)

Harrowing, beguiling, ultimately uplifting true-life story of French Elle magazine editor Jean-Dominique Bauby (Mathieu Amalric) who suffers a catastrophic stroke and retains the sharpness of his mind while being unable to communicate his thoughts to others because all he can physically do is blink one eye. Eventually, his caregivers find a way to communicate with him, and he writes a book about his experiences from a place which no other human has ever been able to describe before. While watching this one-of-a-kind film, you'll probably experience emotions which you may have groped to express before but couldn't quite find the way, but this film should truly get your attention and make you realize how much the average person just takes for granted.

Some of my favorite parts of the film are when you hear "Jean Do" thinking, fully aware of his situation and plainly pissed at it, but all the onlookers only hear the silence coming from him. He is equally exasperated when he begins to try to use the method which has been developed for him to talk with this "normal" world since it is so painstakingly boring and time-consuming. The fact that the man could overcome everything and write such a poetic, life-affirming homage to his family and friends is truly awe-inspiring. This, combined with the fact that he loved women so much and is basically surrounded by attractive women at his hospital and can do nothing about it, only adds to the power of the film's brutal honesty. The techniques developed by Schnabel, scripter Ronald Harwood and cinematographer Janusz Kaminski to tell this story almost seem to be as significant as those of Jean Do since the film was shot on the actual locations he lived in France after his stroke and the entire film is also all done in French. Don't let any of that dissuade anyone from watching this amazing film. I'm not a fan of Schnabel's earlier Basqiat and Before Night Falls, but this film completely disarmed me and pretty much blew me away.

I didn't read your second paragraph after the first sentence because i haven't seen it yet. Did you watch it again tonight and that was why you mentioned it in my thread, or did you decide to write about it after reading my comment about it? I know it is probably the former i was just curious.

Must say i find myself enjoying what you have to say about a film more than the film a lot of the time but i do want to watch that now.