Gideon58's Reviews

→ in
Tools    

STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON

Though the screenplay could have used a little economy, the 2015 epic Straight Outta Compton is an unflinching and multi-layered look at the advent of "gangsta" rap through the rise and eventual ugly destruction of NWA (Niggaz with Attitude) that touches on the genesis of rap, life on the streets in the fiery neighborhood of Compton, California where the five original members of the group, tired of dodging police, channel their anger into a different kind of music, comprised of angry rhymes and angry beats, but where this film really hits a bullseye is as an accurate look at something that I like to refer as "the business of show business."

The film begins by showing us the lifestyle that the five original members of NWA are simultaneously trying to escape and utilizing as the motivation for the angry music that immediately speaks to the urban youth of the late 1980's. The music is angry, in your face, and promotes violence, particularly against the police who are the primary motivation for the hate in the music. This all comes to head in a powerhouse scene where the group is performing in Detroit and are warned prior to being allowed onstage that they are not to perform one of their songs called "F*** the Police", but they perform it anyway.

The group begins to find some mainstream acceptance thanks to the guidance of a 2nd rate music producer named Jerry Heller (well played by Paul Giamatti) who is able to rein in the group when they need to be but is not all he appears to be either. Things get even stickier when Jerry seems to be protecting the interests of Easy E, but not so much with Ice Cube and Dr. Dre, which eventually has Cube and Dre pursuing solo careers and Jerry and Easy suffering some form of consequences for their actions.

The pleasant surprise in a film like this is the balance the story provides. We understand these artists' desire to get away from their life on the streets, but we also understand the police who get nothing but defiance and disrespect when they are just doing their jobs. There are exceptions to the rule, of course, like a scene where the group is harrassed by the police as they are leaving the studio for absolutely no reason. but are bailed out by Jerry when he arrives on the scene. I found myself getting very angry about the thought of what would have happened to these guys if Jerry hadn't shown up. One because they were innocent of any wrongdoing, yet they were nasty and disrespectful to the police officers who might have cut them some slack if they had been quiet and cooperative.

Director F. Gray Gary's directorial technique has a real Spike Lee influence to it minus the pretension and preachiness that comes with a lot of Lee's work. The film is a little on the long side, but there isn't a lot of wasted screen time either. Gary also gets powerhouse performances from Giamatti, a kind of role the actor can play in his sleep, Jason Mitchell as Easy E, and especially O'Shea Jackson Jr. as Ice Cube. An important look at a show business phenomenon that doesn't pull punches and doesn't take sides.

TRAINWRECK

Flavor of the month standup comedienne Amy Shumer got her chance at movie stardom with Trainwreck, a 2015 comedy, written by Shumer and directed by Judd Apatow, that contains the seeds for at least four different really good movies; unfortunately, Shumer and Apatow attempt to combine them all into one movie and what you get is an unfocused mess that provides sporadic laughs and is about 45 minutes too long.

Shumer plays Amy (a lot of work apparently went into picking out a character name), a magazine writer who is trying to find the right article that will get her the associate editor job at her magazine. Shumer also plays Amy, a woman struggling with issues regarding her neglectful aging father (Colin Quinn), who is now in a nursing home and her opposing views with her sister (Oscar winner Brie Larson) about his care. Amy is also a commitment-shy single gal caught in a semi-serious relationship with a hunky but boring guy (John Cena) who is looking for something more in a relationship. Shumer also plays Amy, a commitment-shy career woman who finds possible romance with a cute sports doctor (Bill Hader) but gets scared when the guy starts developing real feelings for her.

The film gets an "A" for effort because all the stories that make up this cinematic canvas have the potential to be a really good movie on their own, but trying to wrap them all up in one movie was absolutely a case of newcomer Shumer biting off more that she could chew. You would think that a proven commodity like Apatow would have Shumer's ear a little more and helped her streamline the screenplay, rich with possibilities but far beyond the scope of an inexperienced screen actress, who has mistaken the ability to handle a standup microphone with the ability to carry a major motion picture, but I don't blame Shumer entirely because apparently the woman was given free reign to do whatever she wanted here, otherwise we wouldn't be saddled with a comedy that runs over two hours long and feels like four.

Shumer clearly has a lot of fans in the business and apparently most of them agreed to appear in this film. In addition to Hader and Quinn, a host of past and present SNL cast members appear throughout, but if the truth be told, the biggest laughs in the movie are provided by WWE superstar John Cena and NBA legend Lebron James, who we are supposed to believe is Hader's BFF in this scenario. I checked Shumer's IMDB page after watching this movie and noticed that she has no other films on the horizon at this time and after watching this, I wasn't terribly shocked.

WELCOME TO ME

Kristen Wiig's viability as a movie star continues to be in question with a disturbing and uncomfortable 2014 indie called Welcome to Me that began promisingly but eventually bogs down into a squirm-worthy story that should have evoked sympathy for its central character.

Wiig plays Alice Klieg, a woman with mental health issues who wins $86,000,000 in the lottery, moves to Las Vegas and invades a television station where she uses her new found wealth to finance her dream: her own television talk show. Problem is, Alice just wants to use the show to talk about herself and deal with issues from her past through re-enactments. When the show isn't exactly what Alice wants, she begins to pour more money into it and it actually starts garnering a selected audience, but as Alice deals with her problems on the air, she does a lot of damage to people in her life, including her best friend Gina (Linda Cardellini).

We are behind Alice when she wins the money because this is clearly an unhappy woman and we're hope the money will make her happy but it is not long into her new life that it is clear that money in this woman's hands is a dangerous thing. If the truth be told, it was kind of predictable that her show gets popular; however, I think a much more interesting story could have been told here if Alice kept pouring more and more money into the show and nobody was watching...the message presented here that you can buy ANYTHING with money is not a positive one and makes a character who should be sympathetic anything but.

Wiig does prove that she has what it takes to carry a movie, I just wish she would find a vehicle worthy of talent. She gets help from director Shira Piven and has a solid supporting cast behind her including James Marsden, Joan Cusack, Wes Bentley, and Jennifer Jason Leigh, but the whole thing just made me squirm.

Wow, only 5/10 for Welcome to Me...I loved that film, it was fresh and not the typical Hollywood cliche movie of the week that gets churned out like butter.
I'm sorry Citizen, I know you liked it and because of that I wanted to like it, but it made me uncomfortable and sent some disturbing messages.

That's cool Gideon we're all individuals and so we will never all like the same movies. So no worries.

I got the feeling from your review that your objections to the film were much more than just feeling it wasn't a well made film. And I see that you just wrote this:
but it made me uncomfortable and sent some disturbing messages.
I understand, I've watched films that I objected to how the subject matter was handled and so disliked them for that reason.

Can I ask you what in the film made you uncomfortable? You mentioned disturbing messages, I didn't perceive any, but can I ask what you noticed?

I think the movie sent a disturbing message about the power of money...I was bothered by the fact that this clearly unbalanced woman was given carte blanche with an entire television studio because she was able to write them a check for 15 million dollars. When the camera focused on her for the first time and she said absolutely nothing for about 10 seconds, that just pissed me off, it was like all that money was pissed away. I found her yelling at the reenactments really annoying and I don't like that the staff (James Marsden, Joan Cusack, Wes Bentley) just pandered to Alice just because she kept writing checks and as I mentioned before, the fact that people actually started liking the show was kind of predictable. I think a much more interesting story would have been to have Alice continue to piss her money away on the show and still have no one watch so that the message of the almighty dollar might have been softened a bit. I also hated that she made Gina fat in the reenactments, that was just unnecessarily cruel and Alice was a lot of things but cruel was not one of them.

BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID

Stylish and imaginative direction, a witty and intelligent screenplay, and the birth of a new screen pairing that provided off the charts chemistry are the primary selling points of a richly entertaining western called Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid that had me riveted to the screen from start to finish, quite the accomplishment for someone who HATES westerns.

This 1969 Oscar nominee for Best Picture is the fact based story of the title characters, played by Paul Newman and Robert Redford in their first screen pairing, the leaders of a group of outlaws known as the Hole in the Wall Gang, who rob banks and trains but when the law gets too close, they are forced to flee the country and start all over again in South America where they return to their old ways but things eventually get dangerous for them there too.

Throw into the mix a surprisingly adult love triangle for the 1960's: Etta Place (the lovely Katherine Ross) is a schoolteacher who, on the surface appears to be committed to Sundance, but there are clearly unresolved feelings between her and Butch as well. Etta even asks Butch at one point would they be together if she had met him first, but it doesn't really matter because the romantic lines and traditional boundaries regarding romance are entertainingly blurred here, providing a fascinating menage that accompanies the principal story.

Director George Roy Hill has mounted a western that breaks all the rules here...it is fascinating how much of the story Hill chooses to tell without the use of dialogue. The relationship between Butch and Etta is punctuated by the Oscar-winning song "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head" and the trio's journey to South America is documented through some carefully crafted still photographs backed by Burt Bacharach's jazzy, Oscar-winning score. Some of the most telling moments between the three principal characters come through in these photographs and advance story smoothly without giving too much away. I also like the fact that Butch and Sundance's only motivation for what they do is profit...they are not interested in hurting people and when they do, it is purely in self defense. Even their victims seem to have a semblance of respect for the Hole in the Wall Gang...I love when they approach a train and all the passengers stick their heads out the windows to watch the guys work. They are smarter than most of the characters in the movie but never rub their faces in it.

William Goldman's Oscar-winning screenplay is rich with laughs, even though this film is not even close to resembling a comedy...the laughs come from flawed and human places and characters who understand each other and care about each other. It's so funny watching Etta teaching the guys pertinent Spanish phrases they will need to rob banks and watching Butch later read them off a piece of paper in the midst of a robbery...I was on the floor.

Newman has rarely been so sexy and charismatic onscreen and Redford compliments him perfectly, a screen chemistry that rivals Lemmon and Matthau. Ross is a mature and enchanting leading lady, light years away from her previous role as the virginal Elaine Robinson in The Graduate, not to mention perfectly complimenting both of her leading men. Hill has mounted a winning story here, which also includes some gorgeous Oscar winning cinematography and effective sound editing as well. Hill, Newman, and Redford reunited four years later for The Sting, which won seven Oscars, including one for Hill, but I still think this is Hill's masterpiece.

SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS
Sweet Smell of Success is a scorching drama from 1957 about the power of media manipulation and how it can destroy lives.

The film stars Burt Lancaster as JJ Hunsecker, a respected New York columnist who wants to end the budding romance between his sister (Susan Harrison) and a musician (Martin Milner) and enlists the aid of a smarmy press agent named Sid Falco (Tony Curtis) to do it, in exchange for getting Falco's clients mention in Hunsecker's column.

Clifford Odets and Ernest Lehman's screenplay sizzles with stinging dialogue and the merciless slinging of it. In 2016 it might come off as a little dated and/or cliche, but I think it still packs quite the wallop. It's never really made clear why JJ doesn't want his sister involved with this guy but once you're into the story, it really is a non-issue.

The issue here is how Hunsecker is more concerned with what he wants than with his sister's happiness and the lengths that Falco will go in order to gain favor with Hunsecker, lengths that place him just slightly above pimp.

Lancaster, effectively cast against type, is quiet and bone-chilling as Hunsecker and Curtis gives one of his best performances as Falco, nailing an extremely complex character who is trying to juggle a lot of balls and is not always successful.

The movie is moody and atmospheric and I think director Alex Mackendrick's decision to make the film in black and white has a lot to do with that. The film also features a brilliant jazzy score by Elmer Bernstein that really keeps the proceedings pumping without ever overpowering the story. Despite some dated elements and a dreadful performance from Susan Harrison, there is enough that still works here to make it worth checking out. Decades later, the film was actually adapted into a Broadway musical.

I think the script alone is worth seven and a half out of ten. I don't really care for Butch & Sundance, but the last time I saw it I thought it was OK.

Loved your review of Sweet Smell of Success it's one of the few films I've given a perfect score to.
It's a great film, but it looses points for Susan Harrison's awful performance...if someone else had been playing that role, I might have given the film a 9/10.

BAD NEIGHBORS

Bad Neighbors is a juvenile 2014 comedy that doesn't really deliver the laughs it seems to initially promise.

This film stars Seth Rogen and Rose Byrne as a couple with a newborn daughter who are totally thrown when a frat house moves in next door, Afraid their baby will never be able to sleep with all the partying, they try to broker peace with the frat's president (Zac Efron), but unable to control the frat house, our heroes have no choice but to call the police at one point, the gloves come off, igniting a war between the frat and the "old people next door."

The idea here is a decent one and the film starts off promisingly but the whole thing bogs down into a lot of vicious and dangerous pranks, some involving innocent bystanders, with enough laws being broken here for the entire cast to be behind bars but the screenplay conveniently dodges these realities for the sake of "entertainment", which is only really delivered in spurts.

Rogen is very funny but the casting of Byrne really doesn't work for me. This is the third comedy that I have seen this actress in and I have to say that, even though I enjoyed her work on the FX series Damages, comedy is not her thing...the woman doesn't possess anything resembling comic timing and is not funny and I don't understand why she keeps getting cast in these comedies. Efron looks amazing in and out of his clothes, but his character comes off as kind of a psychopath and you have to wonder how someone like this even got in to college. Ike Barinholtz of The Mindy Project, like Rogen, manages to rise above the muck as Rogen's co-worker, but there's just not enough laughs or viable story to make this thing really work.