Citizen Rules...Cinemaesque Chat-n-Review

→ in
Tools    

I remember Monica's storyline with Jon Favreau....maybe it was just me, but I didn't think Courtney Cox had any chemistry with Jon Favreau...she had more chemistry with Tom Selleck.
I agree with you Gideon. Though I'm not helped by the fact that I really don't like Job Favreau at all.

I liked Reese in her first movie The Man in the Moon. I haven't seen enough of her films to have a strong opinion on her. Have you seen that one, it's set in the 1930s, I really liked it.
She was good in The Man in the Moon, but Election was best performance.

Totally agree.
I never knew that until now. I thought she just seemed physically larger than him and they just didn't match up.

I'm still working on watching Tom Cruises filmography, I've just been side tracked lately, but hope to watch some more of his movies.
Just had to comment on that thought - I recently viewed Tropic Thunder (based on MoFo mention) and Tom Cruise is in it - though not immediately recognizable.

OK...Tropic Thunder...I'll put it on my ever growing to watch list. And Tom was in a recent 2015 sci fi film I need to see.
Just for the record, I wasn't really recommending it, just mentioning that Cruise is in it. As a comedy it's okay, but probably not worth bumping onto your watch list (unless you find yourself in the mood for a Ben Stiller / Jack Black level comedy).

If Ben Stiller / Jack Black are a "level" (say as 3 on a 1 to 10 scale of comedy) then where does Adam Sandler fall?

(Probably in the negative numbers I'd guess?)

The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956)

Director: Alfred Hitchcock
Writer: John Michael Hayes(screenplay)
Cast: James Stewart, Doris Day, Daniel Gelin, Brenda de Banzie
Genre: Suspense Thriller
Length: 2 hours
Studio: Paramount

Synopsis (Spoiler Free): On a family vacation to Morocco a husband and wife accidentally stumble into a secret assassination plot. The conspirators are determined to keep the family from going to the police with information that would spoil the conspirators plans.

Review:
Hitchcock films are almost always masterpieces. Hitch put maximum effort into planning out each of the scenes. He would spend his time off set, visualizing the next scene that he would be shooting...Hitch would 'see' the scene in his head from every imaginable camera angle, and that's a big reason why his films almost always work so well. He left nothing to chance.

Hitch knew how to evoke the audiences reactions. Just as importantly he knew when to 'relieve' that tension. As the mystery deepens in the movie and the tension grows, Hitch included some lighter comic scenes to give the audience a chance to reset their emotions. Without that break, we would emotionally burn out during a two hour tension filled movie. Hitchcock is rightful called a genius as he understands that his film pacing went hand and hand with the audiences attention spans.

Doris Day and Jimmy Stewart enjoy a happy moment before their lives are turned upside down.

There's another important component that Hitch utilized so well, the actors. Hitch knew how to pick them. James Stewart was one of the most likable and talented actors at the time. Stewart was in four of Hitch's films. Stewart works so well because he represents the average guy. When you watch Stewart you don't think your watching a big Hollywood star, you believe he's actually a small town doctor on a vacation.

But it takes two, and the flip side is Doris Day. Doris is like the female equivalent of James Stewart. She's pretty, but not Hollywood glamorous. She's likeable and seems like a person who you could know in real life. Like Stewart she's very believable in her role. She's usually remembered for her many comic musical movies...but here Doris does an amazing job of acting. I believed I actually was watching a frightened, panic mother.

Que Sera Sera is the song Doris sings twice in this movie. She sings it once beautifully with her son. The second time is at the climax of the movie and she sings it rushed with clipped notes. That's a testament to her acting ability, even during the song she stays in character.

No review of this movie would be complete without mentioning the music score, done by Bernard Herrmann who wrote the amazingly effective, but low key score. He's prominently featured on screen as the conductor of the London Symphony.

The lasts 12 minutes of the film are done without a single word of dialogue being spoken and consists of 124 shots in that time. The cinematography in the Albert Hall is sublime.

One last thing about this movie. In the 1950's TV was growing in popularity and taking a huge revenue chunk out of the movie studios profits. Some thought TV would kill the movies. To make up for this, the big American studios started shooting more color films and in wide screen format with improved sound. This movie is 1.85:1 VistaVision with Motion Picture High-Fidelity sound.

The other big draw for movies of this time, was on location shooting. Here we're treated to exotic on location shooting in Morocco and in London.

The Man Who Knew Too Much
is a masterpiece, but that's not surprising after all it's Hitch.

+

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	1a.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	24049   Click image for larger version

Name:	9 in 1.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	24050   Click image for larger version

Name:	0800.jpg
Views:	480
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	24051   Click image for larger version

Name:	0124.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	24052   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dinner.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	24056  

I need to rewatch that film. I saw it ages ago and whilst I enjoyed it and thought it was good, I thought it was one of Hitchcock's weaker films. I remember enjoying the beginning, the usual spy/wrong man/confusion stuff and how it was set in Morroco, but then I kind of lost interest in the middle. The ending is great though, seeing Herrmann in person, and also Doris Day singing Que Sera, such as a great song. I have it on Blu-ray now so I will watch it again eventually

Daniel when you watch it, look at Hitch's use of subtle green lighting in the hotel scene at the beginning of the film. I didn't notice it at first, but Doris Day and the French man are back-side lightened with a green light. I thought that was kind of neat as it gave a sort of eeriness to the scene without being obvious, more subliminal.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
It's been a while since I watched The Man Who Knew Too Much, but I'm looking forward to rewatching it soon.

As much as I love Doris Day in rom-coms, I think she's terrific in this movie too. (Surprisingly, I think this was the first movie that I saw her in, and I was thrilled to hear her sing the song "Que Sera, Sera" because it was a childhood favorite song for me.)

I'm glad I watched it, just wasn't the best Eastwood film I've seen. I forgot to mention I liked Christopher Walken in it.
I liked Jersey Boys a lot more than you did, Citizen, but I did enjoy reading your review.[ I do agree with you that Vincent Piazza gave the film's best performance as Tommy.

I never got to see "Camelot" on Broadway, but I've heard the Broadway cast album, and I agree 100% that the movie version didn't even come close to living up to the stage version. I don't know what they were thinking when they cast the movie, but they blew it big time.
I, too, can't stand the film version of Camelot.