Latitudes

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I just rewrote my review so you might want to read it again. I don't know why I post and then add a bunch of stuff.

You're right, you're not suppose to really care about the characters, they're self serving and destructive. They're victims of their own circumstances. It's a rather dark film, so I'm not surprised you didn't like it. I myself might have thought Sinatra and Martin would equal a light comedy, but no, this is pretty heady stuff.

Yeah, I like Sinatra pretty well. He's got this anti establishment thing going for him during the 50s that works. Same as Paul Newman or Steve McQueen.

I didn't dislike the movie, but I didn't love it either. It was just okay for me.

That seems to be the way I feel about most of Sinatra's movies, unless there's someone else in the movie who I really like, (such as his musicals with Gene Kelly). But I thought Sinatra was very good in the movie Suddenly, even though the movie was only okay, and I liked the movies High Society, Pal Joey and Robin and the 7 Hoods.

Good Day for a Hanging (1959)

Director: Nathan Juran
Stars: Fred MacMurray, Margaret Hayes, Robert Vaughn
Genre: Western, Morality, Drama
Length: 85 minutes

So I watched another 1950's golden oldie. Well, maybe it's not golden and it's not masterfully made and no one is going to claim it as a cinema masterpiece...but this film really got me emotionally involved in it!

I found myself stopping the DVD so I could say what I would do if I was the town's Marshall. This film really gets ya' dander up!

This is a strong story, much like High Noon. One man, who along with a posse chasing bank robbers has eye witnessed one of the robbers shooting the towns former Marshall, who dies. The man accused is called the Kid and is the former boyfriend of the new Marshall's daughter. Into town comes a sleazy defense lawyer to get the accused off.

This is an emotionally roller coaster ride. Even if you don't like westerns the human element of one man trying to do the right thing even though every one else is against him, is compelling.

I don't watch a lot of westerns, but your review of Good Day for a Hanging sounds interesting, and I like both Fred MacMurray and Robert Vaughn, so this one might be worth watching.

GBG, I had you in mind when I was watching it: I think it would make you care, make you mad, make you happy, make you think. I think you would enjoy it

I hope you're right. I added it to my watchlist.

Spaceballs (1987)
Director/Writer: Mel Brooks
Stars: John Candy, Rick Moranis, Bill Pullman, Daphne Zuniga, Mel Brooks
Genre: Comedy Adventure Spoof
Length: 96 minutes
First Watch

'Planet Spaceballs' President Skroob sends Lord Dark Helmet to steal planet Druidia's abundant supply of air to replenish their own, and only Lone Starr can stop them.'

I thought this might be stupid, but it was silly goofy fun. I laughed at some of the gags and it was fun seeing Star Wars and other iconic sci fi shows being lampooned. What can I say, it's a Mel Brooks film! Some good gags and clever stuff here.

By far John Candy as Barf a half-man, half-dog alien and Rick Moranis as Dark Helmet were my favorite characters. Both actors are alumin from Canada's SCTV comedy troupe. I also liked Bill Pulman as Lone Starr and Daphne Zuniga as the Princess (they did some funny bits with her ear muff, hair poms).

Not to be forgotten was the rather gross Pizza the Hutt (get it?) And that droid is Dat Matrix with Joan Rivers doing the voice...."can we talk here?" ha. Oh and just guess who played Yogart?

At only 96 minutes you can't go wrong with this one.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	sb.jpg
Views:	576
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	23826   Click image for larger version

Name:	sb1.jpg
Views:	566
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	23827   Click image for larger version

Name:	sb2.jpg
Views:	634
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	23828   Click image for larger version

Name:	sbpizza.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	23829   Click image for larger version

Name:	sblast.jpg
Views:	611
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	23830  

In tonight's news: Pizza the Hutt was found dead in his limo. Apparently the inter-galactic crime boss became trapped inside his car and ate himself to death.

My favorite scene in the whole movie would have to be the coffee machine/radar, surrounded by a-holes, and ludicrous speed. That whole scene just kills me. And the scene where Lord Dark Helmet is playing with his dolls.

My favorite scene in the whole movie would have to be the coffee machine/radar, surrounded by a-holes, and ludicrous speed. That whole scene just kills me. And the scene where Lord Dark Helmet is playing with his dolls.
Just reading that and thinking of those scenes, cracked me up.

My favorite scene was the high five, hand scratching and howling.

Yeah I was surprised to see John Hurt in it...and... he played it totally straight, just like in Aliens which made it even more funnier. Now I have to watch Galaxy Quest, which I've never seen.

Ha!...

When the DVD was at the main menu, it looks like a machine and it said in big letters MR. DVD. Which I didn't get until I seen Mr Coffee and Mr Radar.

GBG did you know Tim Russ had a tiny part in it? I spotted him right off the bat.

Yeah I was surprised to see John Hurt in it...and... he played it totally straight, just like in Aliens which made it even more funnier. Now I have to watch Galaxy Quest, which I've never seen.

Galaxy Quest is also very funny, but it's more of a Star Trek spoof than generic sci-fi.

I always found John Candy's make up as Barf to be incongruous with the rest of the movie (especially when you had such special effects as Pizza the Hutt.) Barf just looked like John Candy with a wig. I read the trivia that one of the producers (Brooks maybe?) said that if they covered the actor with make-up (ala Chewbacca) then anyone could play the part, and they were paying big bugs for Candy, so they better be able to see his face.

One of my favorite jokes was "combing the desert" and the response from the guard when asked if they found anything.
Kind of funny - on YouTube somewhere I recently saw bits of the Force Awakens overdubbed with lines from Spaceballs, and they had Finn doing the line from the comb guard...