Citizen Rules...Cinemaesque Chat-n-Review

→ in
Tools    

CR, the films are "All The Little Animals" and "Prince of Jutland" aka "Prince of Denmark" and "Royal Deceit"..

the next one I posted to Captain Steel is "The Field"...

Yes, the one I said looked good was "All the Little Animals." The story hinted at in the trailer seemed so unique (and it's got John Hurt)!

I've never seen The Field either!
MovieGal is turning me on to a bunch of John Hurt movies I've never seen!

Yes, the one I said looked good was "All the Little Animals." The story hinted at in the trailer seemed so unique (and it's got John Hurt)!

Well they are films I have seen years ago.... Im sure I have seen films that probably only Markf has seen....

MovieGal's good at that, I've seen some really cool films thanks to her recommendations.

MovieGal's good at that, I've seen some really cool films thanks to her recommendations.
CR, have you seen "Girl With The Pearl Earring"? Its one of my favorites.. its a fictional story built around Vermeer's painting by the same name..

There is a book by the same name that the movie is based off... by Tracey Chevalier... the book is very good as well..

Yes I did, loved that film. It's been several years, but a really cool concept and story too.
I found a tv show based off the founders of the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood.... my favorite painter belonged to that brotherhood of artists.

The painter is John William Waterhouse.

I'm not familiar with John William Waterhouse, I looked him up and he had a really different style of painting, I like it.

I have one for you, I seen it a few years ago and really liked it. The Impressionists (2006)
A three-part factual docudrama miniseries from the BBC, which reconstructs the origins of the Impressionist art movement.Tells the intimate history of a most illustrious brotherhood of Impressionist artists - Monet, Degas, Renoir, Cézanne and Manet.

I think you might like that one.

There are many BBC series I enjoy...one of my favorite is about the English language... lol I found it interesting where most would find it a bore.

I even read the book the series was based off.

So you're not interested in the impressionist?
I will check it out however Monet really isn't what I enjoy.

It did of course show their work but it was a drama amount the men and I thought it was very entertaining. Most of the imprisonment lead very interesting lives.

Catch ya latter, I'm off for a movie and dinner

The Three Faces of Eve (1957)
Director: Nunnally Johnson
Writers: Nunnally Johnson(screenplay), Corbett Thigpen(novel)
Cast: Joanne Woodward, David Wayne, Lee J. Cobb
Genre: Biography Drama
Length: 91 minutes

Based on a true story and a famous book written about one of the first documented cases of Multiply Personality Disorder.

That poster is really misleading, it makes the movie look exploitative but it's not. This is a straight forward telling based on factual information about a real woman who suffered with multiple personalities. You know the film is serious when it starts with a doctor telling us that the film is serious! But yup, it was pretty serious and avoided the more cheesy aspects of a quiet, mousey housewife, Eve White who has multiple personalities including one that is a wild party girl, who calls herself Eve Black. Latter we learn there's a third personality but I won't spoil the film about telling about her.

Orson Welles
had been sought for the role of the doctor who worked with Eve. Orson told the director that whatever actress he got to play Eve that she would win the Academy Award. Sure enough, Joanne Woodward won the award for best actresses.

Joanne Woodward is good in this, very good as she keeps her performance from going over the top and thus making it believable.

Lee J. Cobb plays the role of Dr Luther who treats Eve. What can I say he's perfect too. Not to much and not too little, in the way he portrays the Doctor.

The Three Faces of Eve
is an important 50s film that is both well done and interesting. Well worth watching.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	three-faces-of-eve-cinema-quad-movie-poster-(1).jpg
Views:	1041
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	23619  

Sixteen Candles
(1984)

Director: John Hughes
Writer: John Hughes
Cast: Molly Ringwald, Anthony Michael Hall, Justin Henry
Genre: Comedy Romance
Length: 93 minutes

Samantha (Molly Ringwald) is turning 16, which should be a very special day for her, but her family has forgotten her birthday. Instead her family is focused on her older sisters wedding. Poor Sam has to suffer all sorts of embarrassments from well meaning grandparents...to the school geek Farmer Ted (Anthony Michael Hall), who has a crush on her and manages to get her panties as a trophy and shows them off to his friends. Worst of all she has a crush on the most popular guy in school, who doesn't even know she exist.

John Hughes and Molly Ringwald were a movie match made in heaven. Sixteen Candles was John Hughes directorial debut and it was a huge success for him. This was Molly's second starring role in a film (her first was Space Hunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone,1983) Hughes considered Molly his muse and built his early career around her. It's hard to image one with out the other. Together they defined a sub genre of Teen Angst films. It's too bad they only made one more film together but it was one of the greats: 1985's The Breakfast Club.

What makes this film work is director John Hughes understanding of teen angst. It's like someone's entire high school life is played out in 93 minutes by Sam, Farmer Ted or any one of the quirky but yet students who make up this movie. Even yours truly, can remember being in school and having the same sorts of stuff happening. Though the movie makes teen life seem much more funnier!

But you know what makes this film such a classic, is all the various scenes...it's the well fleshed out moments that add zest to the story line. The story by itself would be good but it's the extra side stories that fill out this movie to make a completely satisfy film.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Molly1.jpg
Views:	988
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	23656   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	23657   Click image for larger version

Name:	16.jpg
Views:	893
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	23658   Click image for larger version

Name:	16aa.jpg
Views:	930
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	23664  

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I liked Sixteen Candles when I saw it the first 50 or so times, but it kind of gets annoying after that. I think part of the problem is that I've never been a fan of Molly Ringwald. I just don't get what people see in her.

But I still love The Breakfast Club, even though she's in it. That movie is just too good to not love it.

50 times, you've seen it 50 times! Why?

I've only seen it 3 or 4 times since it came out. I rarely rewatch films over and over again. I know most people do, but I would get bored of any movie after just a few watches, unless it's been years.

Molly Ringwald might not have a big range of characters she could play but at the time in her life she was playing her self and very natural on screen. I haven't seen any of her latter stuff but always like the early stuff.