Superb Scenes With Seanc

→ in
Tools    

I thought we were supposed to be breaking down stereotypes in 2015. Not funny at all and certainly not emotionally engaging. Easily one of my least favorites of the year.
What was it about? What stereotypes?

It is about two transgender prostitutes in LA. The whole premise is that one has just got out of prison and found out that her pimp cheated on her while she was away. All the humor comes from the fact that this is a sassy black transgender. We are never laughing at jokes we are laughing at the absurdity of this human being. She is a tornado rolling through all these establishments she knows and asserting her will. I won't say I didn't snicker a few times but it is easy laughs. There is nothing imaginative here. We also have the taxi driver who has a family at home but a transgender prostitute fetish. His big laughs come when a new prostitute doesn't have a penis. Get it? Because she is working the wrong block. It's funny cause he likes dudes that want to be girls.

I won't talk about the end in case someone wants to watch but we meet the pimp who isn't breaking down barriers let me tell you. The taxi driver also gets himself in another "hilarious" situation. The whole thing is just a big mess for me.

Every Baumbach movie I see I rate a bit higher than the last. Makes me think I need to go back to Frances Ha. I love his writing and characters. His characters are incredibly self aware but at the same time unable to change their weaknesses, instead just charging through them and hoping others aren't noticing. Even in the areas they are successful they never feel that way and are always looking for something different. They are mostly bad at relationships. The more I see of Baumbach and the more I watch his movies, he feels like this generations Woody Allen. Really great at writing white upper middle class characters in an intelligent and funny way. Really liked this film.

Just found out the other day that Baumbach co-wrote Fantastic Mr Fox; my favourite Wes film and second favourite Animation. The Squid and the Whale is the only other thing i've seen from him which i liked well enough, Jeff Daniels was really great.

Just found out the other day that Baumbach co-wrote Fantastic Mr Fox; my favourite Wes film and second favourite Animation. The Squid and the Whale is the only other thing i've seen from him which i liked well enough, Jeff Daniels was really great.
I always forget The Squid And The Whale is him. I swear I have seen that but judging from the year I don't think I have. I am going to prioritize that and Greenberg.

I always forget The Squid And The Whale is him. I swear I have seen that but judging from the year I don't think I have. I am going to prioritize that and Greenberg.
One of my friends says Greenberg is the worst film he's ever seen, pretty sure his favourite film is Man of Steel or something though so i don't take him seriously on films.

Despite all the criticisms warning me away I just love Ruffalo too much to stay away. He is definitely what held it all together for me but I didn't think it was as bad as everyone has said. It may not be a super realistic look at bi-polar disorder but it is a funny and charming character flick. Not great but worth watching.

This movie blew me away. I was prepared to like this quite a bit. Inarritu is a director I really respond to and Birdman was my second favorite film from last year. I wasn't prepared for how much I loved this though. The cinematography might be the best I have ever experienced. By now everyone has probably heard the stories about how they would only film a certain amount of time each day because of Inarritu's desire to use natural light. I was ill prepared for how magnificent this movie would look because of that decision. The beauty of the landscapes juxtaposed with the harshness of the reality of it for the characters really drive this movie and make it a hell of a theater experience. The way they use fire and water adds a texture to the frames. Inarritu also uses his sweeping camera movements to create a sense of how vast the space is. I am not the greatest at spotting long shots when I am watching a film but the way the camera moves leads me to believe there are quite a few here. I love the camera work. I really can't say enough about it. I know some find Inarritu to be a bit of a show off with the camera but as long as he keeps me glued to the screen I am more than okay with it, in fact I love it.

The camera work isn't the only thing great about this film. The story is very compelling and more than enough to engage for over two hours. It is simple but complex from a character standpoint. Hardy's character ends up being the villain of the story but the truth is he is in a very tight spot when the conflict begins. We are supposed to hate him, and I do, but his motivations at the start are not unsympathetic. Of course DiCaprio is the hero and he is really good. He is doing alot without dialogue, which is unusual for him. It is not my favorite performance of his, but I won't be disappointed if it is the one that finally gets him an Oscar either. I am not the first person to say this, I read it a couple times after my viewing, but I thought of Malick in a handful of scenes in the film. This was a nice reprieve because the last thing to talk about is how brutal this film is. I don't remember having this visceral of a reaction to a theater viewing since Braveheart. There is just something about steel and spears that my body responds too much more than gunshots. Of course there is also the bear attack. It is every bit as intense as advertised. I cringed but never looked away. So brutal yet cinematic at the same time. It is definitely something that will stick with me and may be the scene of the year.

As usual when I like a film this much I don't really feel like I am doing it justice. I am just listing all the things I like. In really hope film fans will experience this in the cinema. In my opinion this is the film that deserved a roadshow. My favorite of the year and one that will be an all time favorite for sure.

A very entertaining way to tell a white collar crime story. Poor man's Wolf Of Wall Street, probably but that doesn't make it bad. I wanted it to be funnier and I wanted to like the characters more but what I got was entertaining enough and well done.

That's the most glowing review of The Revenant I have seen on the forum. I almost watched it a couple weeks back, but my wife said she wants to see it so it'll be when on DVD.

I wanted it to be funnier and I wanted to like the characters more but what I got was entertaining enough and well done.
Why did you want it to be funnier? Looks like the kind of film I'd be disappoint to see as a comedy. Much like Men In Black. I was gutted when I discovered that wasn't a serious film.

Why did you want it to be funnier? Looks like the kind of film I'd be disappoint to see as a comedy. Much like Men In Black. I was gutted when I discovered that wasn't a serious film.
The trailer had a Hustle or Wolf vibe. I love that kind of stuff. Plus Carell, who I think is great. It had its moments of humor. Just didn't wow me. The editing wasn't great for me either.