Citizen Rules...Cinemaesque Chat-n-Review

→ in
Tools    

Thanks MM! I appreciate that coming from a fellow reviewer. Let me ask you, (or anyone who wants to answer) what do you like better in a review: a review that covers mostly the synopsis?...or a review that focuses on production/cinematography/lighting etc.

I did and I didn't really like it compared to The Hustler...but it's been years so I should give that film another chance.

Good question, Rules. I usually read reviews of movies I've already seen. If I read a review of a movie I haven't seen, it's because I want to find out if it's worth investing the time to see it. Either way, I don't really like reviews that give you a synopsis of the story because (a.) if I've seen it then I already know the details or (b.) if I'm looking to see if it's worth watching, then I don't want all the details & plot points revealed beforehand.

I usually do this on IMDB and it gets boring going through review after review that tells you what happened in the movie, when what you're looking for is what people thought of the movie.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Good question, Rules. I usually read reviews of movies I've already seen. If I read a review of a movie I haven't seen, it's because I want to find out if it's worth investing the time to see it. Either way, I don't really like reviews that give you a synopsis of the story because (a.) if I've seen it then I already know the details or (b.) if I'm looking to see if it's worth watching, then I don't want all the details & plot points revealed beforehand.

I usually do this on IMDB and it gets boring going through review after review that tells you what happened in the movie, when what you're looking for is what people thought of the movie.

I agree. I like reviews that talk about why someone liked or disliked a movie. If I don't already know the plot of the movie, I can easily look it up. I want to know whether or not you liked the movie, and why.

I think people who read reviews are looking for WHY the reviewer did or didn't like the film. It's fine if some scenes or sequences are cited to support the opinion. But I don't think many people really want to read a detailed synopsis of a movie (unless they're maybe analyzing it together after having seen it and want to go through it scene by scene).

Some people might read a review to determine if the film contains subjects that will interest them, so then telling a bit what the film is about could be helpful - but even then, I don't think people want a book-report style summary that outlines the whole story.

That's why I don't get some of the reviews on IMDB where they write these long summaries that sound more like a "treatment" you'd give to a producer to provide an overview of what the entire film is about rather than a review. If I saw the film, then I know what happens. If I didn't see it, then I don't want to know what happens, I just want to know if it's got enough elements to catch my interest & is good enough to hold my interest.

Thanks MM! I appreciate that coming from a fellow reviewer. Let me ask you, (or anyone who wants to answer) what do you like better in a review: a review that covers mostly the synopsis?...or a review that focuses on production/cinematography/lighting etc
Summing up what the film is about shouldn't take up too much of a review in my opinion. Most people read reviews when they have watched the film or at least know about it. So yeah, those kind of reviews where the summary of the plot takes up half (or more) of the overall review is a no-go.

Your review should focus on your opinion and/or interpretation of the story, characters, themes and so on. You can mention production and all the technical stuff, but it's not always that important. If you review a Malick film it would probably be ideal to spend some time with the cinematography and the visual storytelling, while a Dardenne feature would be all about the clear cut story and characters.

Talking about the story and giving you opinion on that is always important and sometimes there's a few focal points that depends on what kind of movie it is. Not all movies yell for the same kind of review. I have done many different reviews myself and it really does depend on a lot of things. I remember my Sicario review was a lot about the mood atmosphere and gritty style and approach, which was clearly what the director wanted put forward. Then there was stuff like my Le Samouraï review, which I kind of wrote about from opening until end, describing the characters journey and how the plot evolved.

So yeah, there can be a lot to it, but you can never go wrong with a review that just cover the plot and characters, as long as you make sure you don't make it a plot synopsis but an actual review of these elements.

Summer Rental (1985)
Director: Carl Reiner
Cast: John Candy, Karen Austin, Richard Crenna, Rip Torn
Genre: Comedy
Length: 87 minutes

Just for fun! An early John Candy comedy by Carl Reiner, that bears a striking resemblances to Vacation (1983)... same stressed out type of dad, who goes on a vacation with the kids, even the wives look similar. But is this one funny? Yes!...Unlike some of John Candy's other films, here he plays a normal family guy. He's an airline traffic controller who get's stressed out after 13 years on the job and is sent on a vacation to Florida by his boss. Of course he takes the wife and kids.

What I like about this was that the gags/jokes were mostly believable and were the kind of crazy stuff that can actually happen on a vacation. And poor John Candy, everything that can happen to him does!

First he gets seriously sun burned and tells his kids, 'it's good I wanted some color.' Then a late night knock at the door starts him down the road to one bad vacation! I thought the above scene was really funny how Candy handled the surprise visit.

The main thing to know is Candy has bad luck and gets on the bad side of the town's millionaire and champion yacht sailor, played to the hilt by Richard Crenna.

That's not Richard Crenna...That's Karen Austin who plays the wife.

The infamous lobster restaurant scene. Who hasn't waited for hours to get a table, just to watch someone else cut the line and go ahead of you, what would you do?

Veteran actor Rip Torn plays a crusty but good hearted owner of a pirate theme restaurant, he befriends Candy and teaches him the art of sailing.

Summer Rental is a PG rated film and is family safe. The last third of the film becomes more of a family Disney movie with the entire family trying to win the yacht race, it's cute. So if you got kids, this could be a great film to introduce them to the legendary John Candy.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	austin16.jpg
Views:	3553
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	23552   Click image for larger version

Name:	kgsrent047.jpg
Views:	8612
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	23553   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	8074
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	23554   Click image for larger version

Name:	700full-summer-rental-screenshot.jpg
Views:	2123
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	23555   Click image for larger version

Name:	Summer_Rental-1985-VMSS-2.jpg
Views:	6877
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	23556  

My favorite bits - (SPOILERS)

Being in the wrong rental house when the owners come home.
Several scenes with the family dog.
John Candy looking like a Kabuki dancer due to his sunburn, Noxzema and a Japanese robe!
The restaurant scene.
The real rental house (with the people walking by) - I swear I lived that as a kid!
My favorite... Scully's "catch of the day."

John Candy looking like a Kabuki dancer due to his sunburn, Noxzema and a Japanese robe!
Ha! I hadn't thought of that, but yuppers he does look like a Kabuki dancer...good call.

I guess Summer Rental isnt too popular with MoFos, by the number of reps it got...1 Anyway you John Candy fans stayed tuned for more Candy magic

28 Days Later (2002)
Director: Danny Boyle
Cast: Cillian Murphy, Naomie Harris, Christopher Eccleston
Genre: Sci-Fi Horror

Twenty eight days after a deadly virus spreads throughout the UK, a small number of survivors try to find safety from the marauding plaque victims. The plaque victims have become like ravenous zombies attacking healthy people with a deadly fury, which then infects the poor victims.

I found 28 Days Later to be hit or miss with me. I hated the opening scene of the Chimpanzees in the research lab. It was unnecessarily gruesome and graphic. Seeing animals suffer in a movie is a huge dislike for me, even if they're CG created.

I also could have done without seeing Cillian Murphy naked, luckily my remote has a fast forward!

But when we're shown Cillian wondering around a seemingly empty London street, then, I started really getting into the film. I was reminded at that point of a classic, The Omega Man (1971). My enthusiasm was short lived however when the zombie attack scenes were done with 'shaky camera' and 'reduced frame rate' and coupled with an ultra closeup done with a digital zoom in post production, it just about gave me a headache as it was so frantic.

That 3 way effect technique is used a lot for fight sequences these days, I don't care for it. But still I was liking the movie until they drove a taxi cab over a mountain of debris that must have been 8 feet high! Oh come on! No way is that going to happen!

When a movie breaks it's own rules of reality it loses believability and at that point it became less serious...albeit, still a fun, action sci fi horror flick.

If you want a fun time with zombies, take a look at 28 Days Latter.

The Fly (1986)
Director: David Cronenberg
Cast: Jeff Goldblum, Geena Davis, John Getz
Genre: Sci Fi Horror, Romance

A brilliant but reclusive scientist (Jeff Goldblum) discovers the means of tele-transportation. His science break through will change the world. He convinces a woman journalist (Geena Davis) to document his experiment. As a romance ensues between the two, he tries the experiment on himself. But unknown to him a fly has enter the chamber too, their DNA is combined transforming him into a man/fly hybrid.

I used that photo, as to me that's what the film is about...it's about the trust and love that grew between a reclusive, lonely scientist and the woman reporter who at first tricks him to get the story of the century, but then falls in love with him. Most everyone will focus on the horror elements of The Fly, but it's so much more than just gore, this is a love story.

From the moment the film starts, it pulled me into the story. It felt real to me...the people (Jeff Goldblum and Geena Davis) seemed real and they had real chemistry together. In real life they were a romantic couple so the onscreen chemistry is not surprising.

The film stays tightly focused on those two individuals and in that way feels very intimate. By introducing a third character, a love triangle is formed, with jealousy at it's center. That love triangle then drives the story, as each character's emotional reaction creates events that furthers the story along. It's brilliantly done and the best film I've seen from David Cronenberg.

With all of its sci fi horror and special effects, which for the early 1980s were amazing and still look good today, it's the humanity that shines through this wonderful film.

Attachments

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg
Views:	1755
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	23569  

I'm with you, The Fly is a love story. A gory horrid one, but it's that relationship which makes the film as good as it is. Otherwise it'd be pretty boring.

The Fly (1986)
Director: David Cronenberg
Cast: Jeff Goldblum, Geena Davis,
O_O I didn't even realize this existed.

I always thought people were talking about the 50s movie.

Okay. I guess that's the setting where the bulk of the story takes place?
But according to Wiki, the town of "Fargo" is in North Dakota.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fargo_(film)
It's kind of misleading. Fargo (the movie) is largely associated with Minnesota for it's portrayal of Minnesotan stereotypes.

*EDIT: The "Minnesota Accent" used in the movie is really strange to me since I've literally never heard anyone from Minnesota ever speak like that unless they were specifically imitating Fargo.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
some really fun/great movies. HUGE fan of The Hustler and Sunset Blvd is one I FINALLY seen in its entirety last year - VERY good.
Remember seeing Summer Rental decades ago when it came out while i firmly agree about The Fly, Goldblum has become one of those actors that bug me so a rewatch of a good movie won't be too enjoyable I fear

Hey Ed, I know what you mean about Goldblum he's very twitchy/odd on the screen. I think in The Fly however it works to his advantage as it makes seem a bit odd even before he merges with a fly.

I seen a film you just rated, Robin and Marian (1976). We might be the only two MoFos to have seen that. Wait a minute, make that three MoFos I'm sure MarkF has seen it. Good to see that film get mentioned

Only the Lonely (1991)

Director/ Writer: Chris Columbus
Stars: John Candy, Maureen O'Hara, Ally Sheedy
Genre: Romance Comedy Drama
Length: 104 minutes

A lonely Chicago cop (John Candy) pursues a relationship with a shy, introverted girl (Ally Sheedy) against the wishes of his overbearing Irish mother, (Maureen O'Hara).

I mostly liked this film, which has many similarities to the 1955 film Marty. I wish the Irish mother had not been such a stereo type and had been less nasty. But it was good to see Maureen O'Hara back on the big screen after a 20 year retirement. Maureen who's career stretches back to 1938, was excellent in this.

Veteran actors Maureen O'Hara and Anthony Quinn have a love-hate relationship as a subplot.

I liked Ally Sheedy as the shy, introverted girl who couldn't look anyone in the eye and hid away from the world. She looked the part and that's the type of character she's good at playing too. But after the first scenes, the film forgets about all that and the next time we see her she's been babe-afied and lost all of her introverted shyness. Sure she looks good, but the film losses the whole interesting aspect of someone who hides away from the world.

A promo photo. One of the highlights of the film is the real world shooting in a old suburb of Chicago. This really adds to the films look.

Of course this is John Candy's film. And unlike many of his other films, he plays it straight here. This is more of a drama than a comedy. Maureen O'Hara was unsure about her return to film, until she meet costar John Candy...she took an instant liking to him and signed on the spot. She told John that he reminded her of another great dramatic-comedic actor, Charles Laughton and that "underneath the clown character had existed a powerful, complicated actor."

Maureen told Candy to trust in himself as an actor and in his ability to act dramatically, here he takes her advice.

If the script had been tighter with more character development and some of the problems ironed out, this would rate higher, still it's a good one to watch.

Attachments

Name:	6a00e54ee7b642883301538eac68d2970b-500wi.jpg
Views:	1531
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	23588   Click image for larger version

Name:	288057_full.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	23589   Click image for larger version

Name:	onlythelonely2.jpg
Views:	1538