MovieMeditation’s Diary Reviews // “Come and meditate with me!”

→ in
Tools    

Unregistered User
Shame about Flambeur, it's on my watchlist too and I was looking forward to it. Daughter and I both love and have watched Aristocats many times so it's a firm family favourite, glad you liked it. Again, great reviewing MM. Top notch.

MovieMeditation presents...
HIS FILM DIARY 2015
total movie count ........... current day count
292 .......................... 337

August 31th

—— 1984 ——
A Nightmare
on Elm Street

—— horror ——
REWATCH

No matter how much you tweak and turn with an icon,
you will never match the impact of when it was actually born...

Review from my horror list
The first ever nightmare from the mind of Wes Craven came creeping in the 80s and flipped the genre 180 degrees. The first film is definitely the best in the series and the one that got everything right from the start; some of which the latter films never quite captured to the same level of creative brilliance. The incarnation of the sweater wearing mass murderer was presented to perfection in the original, even considering the fact that you sometimes see a franchise sharpening the characters and atmosphere over time (like with ‘Friday the 13th’ for example). And though we later saw some playful death scenes and inventive continuations of the Freddy character and ‘Nightmare’ universe, it never came close to the original in terms of style nor substance…

Sometimes I hate to discuss those films, which was either universally acclaimed or widely considered to be cult classics. It is so hard to come up with something new and constructive to say, because everyone and their grandmother have already went over it ten times before. Even considering I always try to spice the actual writings up with diverse language, humorous references, syllables and whatever else might spring to mind, it still won’t make up for it. But screw it … ‘A Nightmare on Elm Street’ came along after the likes of ‘Halloween’ and ‘Friday the 13th’, two films of which could be categorized respectively as the slasher originator and the one spawning directly from its very success. What was needed here was definitely a re-imagination of the genre, and even though it was rather early in the popularity of the slasher subgenre, a true original idea would be needed for the film to earn more than just tickets at the box office. And this is where Wes Craven came up with the idea of bringing the slasher genre into your most vulnerable and personal place – your sleep, or more precisely, your nightmares. That did indeed work perfectly, and the film does a great job at creating the sense of a visual nightmare actually taking place on screen, using some amazing and unnerving music, and of course… Robert Englund was simply born for the role as fried-skin-Freddy.

'A Nightmare on Elm Street' has to be one of the biggest and most influential cult classics in the history of horror… How can I not love and appreciate this film and even rank it as one of my favorite horrors ever made? This cinematic nightmare simply has it all: an awesome villain, a cute leading female character, a ‘nobody’ later turned celebrity, a creepy-ass soundtrack, and of course all those little things like people getting sucked into beds and some quite literal tongue-in-cheek phone sex... I mean seriously, what is there not to like here?
Aha, yes, that’s what I thought...

+

HIS FILM DIARY 2015

September 1st

—— 1994 ——
WES CRAVEN'S
NEW NIGHTMARE

—— horror ——
REWATCH

Don't sleep on Freddy...
or he will get you...

Contains excerpts from my horror list review
After endlessly expanding this franchise far beyond its expiration date, I wasn’t at all sure if the appropriate approach to this would be to jump with sheer joy or just to get it over with. The only excitement to be had around here, was that the master creator himself, Wes Craven, was back in the director’s chair, with the queen of nightmares, Heather Langenkamp, returning as the lead brunette in the film. Oh yes, and of course, the one and only, Robert Englund, was back in the iconic Freddy Krueger role! Despite of doing a very long character introduction here, it wasn’t all done for nothing, because this leads me to the fact that the cast actually plays themselves throughout the film. I have seen people react negatively to this concept, saying that it ruins the scare-factor of the previous films by telling the audience Freddy Kruger is not actually real… You got to be kidding me, right? Anyways, I personally see this as a fresh and modern twist on a tired old franchise, which has been lying dead for a long time, and is now finally brought back to its roots in grand style…

What I really love about ‘New Nightmare’ apart from its original and effective idea is that it is finally trying to create some great scares once again – and while Freddy appears as a new incarnation of the iconic dream master, both in terms of physical and psychological appearance, he isn’t departing too much from his old self, and I’m not one of those who is turned off by his new updated appearance either. I also think that the only way to create a good sequel at this point, was to come up with something new and extremely original; whether it is in relation to the story, or the refreshing update on returning characters... But of course, the film isn’t only about Freddy being brought into the real world and how he might manage that magic trick – it is also a very witty commentary on its own franchise and the never-dying follow-ups in a successful franchise, as well as the evil of horror itself. Freddy is like a fairytale told from hell, leaving breadcrumbs, no wait, sleeping pills and being trapped in the book of the dead. Actually, he is everything; he is like some kind of Santa Claus, a ghost story, a legend, an ancient mythology. He is the ultimate evil; the ringleader in the circle of fire… The Devil himself.

Wes Craven really brings back this franchise and finally finds the balance of horror and humor like we know and love it from the original. Talking about original, this film definitely has one hell of a concept from hell, but unfortunately it is rather underdeveloped. Also, the movie isn’t actually great until the new nightmare starts to become an actual nightmare, which is over an hour into the movie. It is simply too slow in its build-up, but the pay-off is excellent! I also love all the meta stuff in between and the little references here and there; it is almost like Wes is working with this film as both homage and humiliation of the franchise and what he, himself, created twenty years ago. What is even better about this, is how the film is never shy on being self-aware, kind of working in the same vein as Craven himself did more than fifteen years later, with the fourth ‘Scream’ movie. The only difference here is, that this doesn’t try to adapt to a new and younger generation – this is the Freddy we know and love, appearing as iconic and intimidating as ever, with many references to previous films and a concept that can definitely stand on its own as well. The idea of the film isn't followed all the way through, but who cares really? Freddy is here and ready again to haunt your nightmares!

The fascinating character of Freddy Krueger looked to be lost forever, right until Wes Craven chose to step back into the nightmarish franchise, upping the originality and former brilliance of the series, by re-shaping and re-sharpening the very idea behind the burned-out killer. The franchise was back to form, and while a lot more scary than the previous few outings, it still remained a whole lot of fun in the vein of the first film. But there is no doubt that what keeps it interesting is the fact that Freddy is finally back! He was now more evil and more menacing than ever, and basically… a whole new kind of nightmare. I love how the film ends with a reading of the script (highlight to see), accepting that horror is everywhere and is here to stay… the legacy of horror will most definitely live on and his legacy is eternal and will never die. Rest in piece to a horror master, mr. Wes Craven...

HIS FILM DIARY 2015

August 29th

—— 1956 ——
BOB
LE FLAMBEUR

—— crime ——

'Bob le Flambeur' is far from
flamboyant filmmaking in my opinion...

After I had watched the amazing Melville masterpiece, Le Samouraï, I was obviously interested in more from his probably fantastic filmography. So when this movie was nominated in a Hall of Fame I couldn't be happier to experience more of this director. But I actually find myself not even able to remember much about this film. Usually I remember the basics of each and every film I watch, but this really proves how forgettable an experience it was to watch Bob le Flambeur. I remember not caring for the characters nor the story, especially because the latter didn't seem to have something solid to say or do throughout its entire runtime. Well, the last 20 minutes or so was pretty solid, but apart from that there really wasn't much for me in this film.

I know Melville has many other movies, which are more praised than this one, so of course my journey with this director doesn't stop here. I was just really disappointed with this one and I wish I liked it more, but for me there wasn't much to enjoy with it...

-

Can't agree with you more on this. This was actually the first film of Melville that I saw and I was very disappointed. But thankfully, I didn't stop watching Melville and later found some very good films...

Glad you agree.

I'm always honest about the movies I watch, but when you are in the minority of things it's always nice to have someone say they agree with what you say.

It's too bad you didn't appreciate Bob Le Flambeur more. I think it has a good story and characters. It certainly isn't as good as Le Samourai, so I can see why you'd be disappointed because it probably wasn't what you were expecting. But I think if you understand more about the subtleties in the story and characters, not to mention many other cinematic techniques, there is much to be appreciated. Perhaps a few years from now you should give it another go.

I'm always honest about the movies I watch, but when you are in the minority of things it's always nice to have someone say they agree with what you say.
Tell me about it.

HIS FILM DIARY 2015
298 .......................... 345

September 4th

—— 1979 ——
ZOMBIE
FLESH EATERS

—— exploitation ——
REWATCH

From the mind of a poor man’s Argento comes an above average zombie flick
by the same director who made the beyond terrible ‘The Beyond’…

But you know what? I’m actually just kidding about all the above, since I first and foremost owe another visit to “the beyond” of Lucio Fulci, because I have a feeling I was totally and utterly unprepared and uninvested when I sat down to experience ‘The Beyond’. But when talking about the cult classic zombie flick with the numerous names to its name, I have nothing but praise for it; already from the very first watch. I can’t exactly remember how and why I sat down to watch this film in the first place, but I vividly remember being both surprised and delighted to see a film from the exploitation outlands taking place on a zombie island and making me feel at home and on vacation at the same time. Good job, Fulci…

‘Zombie Flesh Eaters’ really has that special Italian horror vibe to it, which kind of carries the lower layers of filmmaking all the way to the front and center of things – something that is of course only meant as a positive. It isn’t the easiest of subgenres to describe, but the combination of canny and corny camerawork throws you into a throwback that almost feels entirely new in its own right. At the same time, a lower budget definitely doesn’t lower the movie, but instead awards it with a perceptible elegance and atmosphere that lifts the movie out of manic mediocracy. I’m not trying to tell you that everything else about it is mediocre, but you don’t have to be a clever cinephile or anything to notice the on-screen acting and off-screen technical achievements aren’t exactly that excellent. But with that said, it all leads back to that special mood and atmosphere, which the film so pleasingly puts you in – not even a skilled director with 20 years in the mainstream or art house business could pull this off.

I absolutely love the exploitation vibe in this film and the soundtrack is one of my favorites ever made made. Not only is the composition great on its own, but it is even more amazing in the actual movie, since it is so far from a zombie flick and so unlike any horror film; the fact that it shouldn’t fit is what makes it fit. So yeah, maybe the mediocre acting does occasionally stick out too much, kind of with a wooden feel to it, which may give you an eyesore (get that reference?), but that doesn’t change the fact that this film knows what it wants and it achieves it brilliantly – whether with zombies battling a shark or brunettes fighting some spiky bark – everything comes together and concludes into a beautiful “zombie salute” that fits perfectly with the set-up. Maybe the movie didn’t have that much meat on its bones, but it did have plenty of guts to hold you over and definitely also enough blood, sweat and tears to boldly and successfully tarnish your predetermined perception of a genuine zombie flick.

-

I know you are kidding (HOLY CRAP I READ A REVIEW), but I cringe every time someone calls Fulci the "poor man's Argento". They are completely different stylistically and aesthetically.

I made that intro only to make you read further, Swan.

Really though, we had that "poor man's Argento" talk a couple of months back and I just had to write it in! -Only to write it off again in the next line of course.

But thanks so much, glad you liked it and that you read the review. I appreciate that so so much, man.

Yep, it's all about atmosphere with these things, IMO, and Zombie Flesheaters does it wonderfully.
Glad you agree!

What's your favorite Italian exploitation/horror film?

I can't exactly blame you. It reeks of Italian horror, doesn't it?

It does. It creates that atmosphere. I suppose that and the overt Catholicism blends to create something I associate more with Italy than the US. Especially with that kind of film.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
I really need to see a Fulci film now, and a Bava one too! (I've only seen little bits of his)

Brilliant and eloquent as always though Med, I still can't believe this isn't your first language.