Christine's reviews

→ in
Tools    

Kes directed by Ken Loach 1969

I see now that Kes isn’t going to make the Mofo top 100 of the 1960s which is a terrible shame as it rightly is viewed in Britain as one of the very best of the 60s, indeed the BFI (British Film Institute) has it as number 7 in the best British films of any decade. I had it as my number six, just above A Taste of Honey.

Kes is set contemporarily in the 60s in Barnsley which is in Yorkshire, the North of England. Traditionally at the time coal mines were the way a large percentage of men made their living, and sons followed fathers into the pit. The action is set in and around the home and school of Billy Caspar, a scrawny 15 year old boy in his last year of school. Billy is played by David Bradley and the rest of the cast are also either non professional or people who were starting off as singers or comedians. There’s only one professional actor in the cast and that’s Colin Welland who plays a teacher, and he was almost totally inexperienced having only appeared on a couple of tv shows. This naturalistic form of film is one which Loach has used all of his career but this early film is one of his very best.

Billy’s lives with his mum and older brother, his dad has left home, and Billy is pretty much left to his own devices. He steals, fights, bullies and is bullied. He is an uncared for teenager, so when he steals a baby kestrel from its nest, nurtures it and trains it, he has a focus to his life.

Kes is an authentic film about a boy in a tough society without much encouragement for its young working class. His appointment with the man from the careers department demonstrates that they never given cause for ambition. Even the teachers at school were mostly world weary men just going through the motions and teaching through bullying the children.

This could all make a very depressing film but there are comic moments, albeit with a sadistic teacher. I think any British person of a certain age seeing Kes can identify with the games scene with the brilliant Brian Glover as Mr Sugden the PE teacher who fancies himself as Bobby Charlton.

There’s also some very uplifting scenes specially those involving Mr Farthing (Colin Welland) the only teacher who shows Billy any empathy. He encourages Billy to open up, and recognises that the boy has grit and intelligence. He calls round to see Billy fly Kes and see the shed where he’s made a home for the bird.

When I see this film now it’s like watching a totally different world to when I first saw it back in the early 70s. So much has changed in society. There’s virtually no coal mines left and many of the jobs available for those 15 year olds in Billy’s class would be nonexistent. When I left school you walked into a job, could be dead end but it was a job. Teachers aren’t allowed to casually cane children on a whim, but the problems of lack of hope for some parts of our community remain.

5/5 a perfectly made slice of life.

It's a great film, Christine, and one I also had on my 60's list. I had it at #22. I don't know when I first saw it, it might've been at school in English class, but if not then it was my late teens. Having family in Yorkshire this was surprisingly familiar to me, even in the early/mid 80's. It's such a British film, isn't it? If someone asked for a British film which was an antithesis of the Hollywood model, this is what I'd probably choose.

Master of My Domain
I came in here because I was searching reviews, then I saw that Christine supposedly gave Kes zero stars.

Great review for a great film... but rating please?

Welcome to the human race...
Good review, christine. I saw the name David Bradley and instantly had to check if it was this guy - apparently that is not the case.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Nice review Christine. I've never seen Kes, always avoided it as I think of it as one of those dreary kitchen sink dramas that Britain loves to make but which I can't really be doing with. However perhaps I should give it a shot

Kes directed by Ken Loach 1969

Nice review Christine I this film

Gran Torino

Directed by Clint Eastwood

The story of recently widowed Walt Kowalski, a curmudgeonly guy who lives in what was once a smart white working class neighbourhood. Over the course of his lifetime this neighbourhood has become rundown and a place for immigrant families. He gets on with no one, not even his sons who also have no empathy for this gruff old man. His racism is a lifelong inbuilt one, but Walt hates just everyone who doesn't fit into his world. The lives of his neighbours, mostly ethnic Hmong people, don't touch him at all, he's happy to drink beer on his porch and talk to his dog, until the day when the next door neighbour's kid (Thao), is bullied by a gang and forced into trying to steal Walt's beloved 1972 Ford Gran Torino...

This is rumoured to be Clint Eastwood's last acting role and it does feel like a swansong to his own tough persona. This is a man at the end of his life who really doesn't have to like anyone or have any social niceties, but who is drawn into counting himself back into the human race by Thao's sweet faced sassy teenage sister Su. Su and Thao mightn't be played by the most adapt of actors, but these two first timers together with the other non professessional Hmong actors, bring a lovely natural feel to the film.

Walt taking on the shy Thao's education into Walt's world of working men, with the emphasis on macho men, forms the base of the film and has its laughs as well as pathos. Clint Eastwood could only have directed himself in this film, no one else could've made such a spare character and still made it work without knowing that man down to his sinews.

I can't say that I didn't sit there and cringe at the racist remarks that drop easily from Walt's mouth, but my own dad came to mind so many times during the film that Walt's character felt real, and thus his actions at the end had the ring of a moral code set in stone - an old school stand against injustice that takes inner natural courage.

If this is his last acting role, then this is a just end to a singular career.

I like Clint, even though I'm not a supporter of traditional old-school macho military guy. It stung me the most in Heartbreak Ridge (which I love nonethe less) when he meets a black guy in a buss who says he's "the Ayatolah of rock'nrolla and he says "Get lost, hippie"! "Hey man, hippies haven't been round for years! What were you doing time, frozen in a fridge?" hhahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Here he finaly redeems himself, even knowing he'll die, but he'll save the kid. That was truely Christian, I can't give it anything less than 5/5. Love it.

The Brand New Testament (2015) directed by Jaco Van Dormael.
Belgian film in French language

Ea is the 10 year old daughter of God. Missing her brother who has already departed this world, she lives with her father God who is a spiteful old man and her mother a sweet but browbeaten lady in a dark sealed apartment at the top of a tower block in Brussels.
God gets his fun by gleefully arranging petty irritating things to happen to humanity every day. God slobbing around the apartment drinking beer and bullying his wife and daughter becomes too much for Ea who decides to escape the only place she has ever known.

A scary prospect, but on the advice of her brother ‘JC’ she leaves home so that she too can find Disciples and write a ‘Brand New Testament’. Before she leaves she causes her father a giant irredeemable problem by breaking into his office and using his computer to dispatch texts to all humanity telling them the date of their death....

In this delightfully irreverent comedy the actors fulfil their roles beautifully. Benoit Poelvoorde’s God is bitter and twisted and downright cruel to his wife and child, he’s played with this manic vindictiveness which doesn’t abate when he comes down to earth. Trouble is when everyone knows the date of their death he loses the power of the unknown. God becomes redundant and he’s not happy!

Ea is played by Pili Groyne. She has a lovely natural style and ability to talk to adults without appearing precocious. Each one of her Disciples is gathered with gentle persuasion during scenes of magical surrealism.

I’ve read reviews that class this film as a satire, but really I don’t think it’s biting enough to be called that. Perhaps the most satirical thing was the fact that God was bored so he made Brussels which for members of the EU is quite funny. For me it was more a tale of gentleness prevailing over the aggravations of normal life. However the concept of what shall we do with the rest of our life when you know how long it's going to actually be is interesting enough in itself.

The film's flights of whimsical fantasy won’t be for everyone but I’m thinking if you liked Amelie then you’ll probably like The Brand New Testament. Does God get his comeuppance? Wait and see

What a disgrace. I've not posted a review for a whole year! saw a great film last night so review coming soon
Should be thoroughly ashamed of yourself - such a slacker
(really looking forward to a new review)

Ignore that previous post - you just shnuck in first
Nice review as always ... have never heard of it but love Amelie and it sounds interressant so I'll keep an eye out for the opportunity of a cheap squint at it at some point down the line.

A Man Called Ove (En man som heter Ove) Swedish film directed by Hannes Holm

Ove, a widower lives alone on a neat little housing complex. When he has early retirement foisted upon him, he decides he doesn't want to face life alone any more. A noisy immigrant family move close by, the mother of the family is a bossy no nonsense woman called Parvaneh, whom Ove takes exception to, and here the fun begins in this blackly humorous Swedish drama. Ove, the self rightous and self appointed guardian of order on the housing estate is played with stiff resolution by Rolf Lassgård. He has played Henning Mankell's detective Wallender in several Swedish series, so if you're familiar with Wallender's hard boiled persona then give him a lugubrious face and you have Ove.

We're all familiar with films where the grumpy old man softens into a kind old geezer , but I think you can never get too many feel good films, specially when they're as well acted and beautifully told as this one.
There is a back storyline running alongside Ove's angry old man of the present day. These scenes show him as a positive young man growing up and falling in love with his kind hearted wife. In the present day some of the residents remember her with fondness, but Ove doesn't want to listen to them. His daily visits to her graveside to talk to her accentuates his loneliness, but as with many men of that generation the thought of opening up to new things just doesn't seem feasible, but that's before Parvanah came along!

A Man Called Ove is a gem of a film. Heartwarming and funny, I'm recommending it for when you feel a bit down and need a brighter day.

Don't think we've seen it so only read your final comment but it again sounds like my sort of thing ..... just the one question - are there any killer penguins in it? (please don't tell me if it would spoil a major plot point!)

Don't think we've seen it so only read your final comment but it again sounds like my sort of thing ..... just the one question - are there any killer penguins in it? (please don't tell me if it would spoil a major plot point!)
I read the full review and i don't think there's any spoilers; just a general description of what it's about. Pretty sure the killer penguins are the main twist and if they are i'm holding you responsible, Chyp!

Sounds good Christine, never heard of it. How did you come across it, was it due to your familiarity with the actor from Wallender?

Hi Christine, I didn't know you have your review thread. Good stuff. I'm thinking of opening the review thread myself but still waiting for an inspiration that's not arriving.