The 7th MoFo Hall of Fame

Tools    

Master of My Domain
I don't think that's going to help your depression.

The thing is, I never get more depressed by watching a bad film. I just mock at how horrible it is and express my anger and hatred for piece of crap through inner thoughts and sometimes writing. It never effects my mental health in any single way. If I don't like it, oh well, if I do, then yay.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Platform

Well, I really don't know where to begin, because this was a train wreck for me. The story isn't one that engaged me at all. I felt that there were many unnecessary scenes that didn't need to be in the films. The biggest disappointment for me was the camerawork. It's pans lagged and I didn't see any sense in it as it wasn't grabbing any type of emotion by doing it that way. It also wasn't that candid of scenery to look at, so I'm surprised the director went that route numerous times. It was often pointless to here nothing but the wind and a see shot with nothing going on for about 15 seconds. The acting didn't strike me as anything that came close to a professional level so again I'll use the comparison of a home video. The lack of close ups really makes me feel as if none of this was supposed to be about connecting with the characters. I'm sure I hit another cultural barrier wall but this wasn't a wall I wanted to get over anyways.

The best thing for me? The DVD title song and the Fargo-esque score.

I'm sorry Bluedeed, but I'm glad you and Cricket have gotten something out of it. Hopefully a few others do.

It's only pointless if you make it pointless, and I think the home video comparison should be considered a compliment more than a criticism, in the way you'd call a Michael Snow movie a home video. The actors are not really non-professionals either, but Jia's regularly recurring crew, I'm curious what you think makes the acting "not professional." I think the movie is Brechtian, Sane thinks the movie uses space to represent emotions and we both love it.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Letter from an Unknown Woman (1948)

I'm not usually into romantic movies but this one is exceptional!
The circle narrative works wonderfully, Joan Fontaine is awesome and the directing is superb from every point of view! I loved they way Vienna was portrayed in 1900 and the figure of the pianist that throws away a promising career just because he loved women a bit too much - that is probably the most realistic reality of this time in the musical background of Vienna. The difference between different social classes is also really well portrayed!
The soundtrack is glorious, filled with constant references to operatic repertoire (even Wagner is there, played by a concert band). The only detail I'm unsure about is the opera they were listening to in the theater,near the end of the film - it was the Magic Flute but sang in Italian, which is odd because Mozart wrote it in German to be premiered in... Vienna! But maybe there was a obsession with italian culture in Europe around this time, I'll have to check!
It was my first movie by Max Ophüls but I will definitely be paying more attention to his work. I'm loving this HoF!!!

+

Master of My Domain
Platform (Zhang Ke Jia, 2000)

My short review and rating might cause a bit of controversy, but here it goes anyways.

Overall, Platform is one of the most realistic and down-to-earth film I've recently seen. It is honest because the acting is not theatrically superb, nor is there too much drama for the sake is drama, the pace is slow, but our everyday lives are, let's face it, even slower than this film.

This film takes place in 1980s China where changes are starting to take place, society moving from communism to a free market system, and more open views at various things. It is shown using a group of musicians, who are usually at the center of youthful change. Because of this, a setting of a small town far from the bustling cities doesn't feel like a stereotypical Asian country, more like a perfect combination of eastern Europe and orientalist atmosphere.

I've seen some MoFos complain about the lack of close-ups and how the movement and emotions of the main characters are brought to screen. Personally, I love lack of close-ups. It makes the film like many pictures stringed together, with characters and objects placed artistically. It also has a laid-back effect, a great example would be the 1959 Rio Bravo. In a way, Platform is a drama version of it, without any guns and cowboys, those are replaced by faded, old, but subtly beautiful imagery and a score I really loved.

Is this the director trying to conceal the bad acting? Not at all in my opinion, because the actors are not acting flamboyant, distinctive characters meant to be stuck in your head and generate catchphrases and words of wisdom. Over the course of 3 hours, the first reaction we have to these people is unfamiliarity and bit of cultural barrier created from behaviors or customs, however soon we are sucked into their unique world, at least for me.

Of course, I'm a person who does indeed need to be blown away by some aspect of a film, similarly to many Mofos, for a film to become a favorite on a personal level, so while I found Platform to be a near-masterpiece, I won't be revisiting it too often. Thanks bluedeed for introducing me to this film, or else I would never encountered it.

+

When I saw that Bluedeed nominated Platform I thought it would be a bit of a hard sell so some of the reactions aren't surprising but it's good to see some people are enjoying it. In some ways it feels like Jia has taken ideas from other directors, particularly the Taiwanese directors Hou and Yang, and used them to develop his own style. Since re watching Platform for this I've also watched Unknown Pleasures and Still Life - the latter would now be my favourite film of his.

The close-up vs wide shot thing is interesting because to me it feels a bit like needing films to be made the same way as other films rather than accepting what the director is doing and looking for why it helps him tell his story. In Jia's films it's hard to have close ups of the main character - because the main character is the society and the culture in which people live. By using wide shots the main character is always on screen, interacting with the other characters.

I need to rewatch The World now because I didn't overly enjoy that when I first saw it.

Well, I'm glad another enjoyed it actually. I could see Swan liking it (its on its way to him)
On the subject of the DVD chain for Platform, whoever's last in line should ask Cricket for instructions on where to send it/what to do with it. It's his now. I don't want it back.

On the subject of the DVD chain for Platform, whoever's last in line should ask Cricket for instructions on where to send it/what to do with it. It's his now. I don't want it back.
I don't collect DVDs anymore so I don't want it.

PlatformI'm sure I hit another cultural barrier wall but this wasn't a wall I wanted to get over anyways.
It certainly looks like the type of movie you wouldn't like. I also found it rather boring but these days I find almost everything in terms of movies boring (which is why I stopped watching (feature length) movies a month and a half ago, even supposedly highly entertaining movies like Blues Brothers had me not paying full attention for some time). If I watched this like 7 years ago I would probably enjoy much more than I did now.

Killer Joe: I am glad that I still have a ways to go before I make my list. That will give Killer Joe a little time to settle in my mind. I always claim to care about character above all in storytelling, and this movie has character to spare. This movie is pretty nuts, the last twenty minutes especially. I have to admit I was expecting it to be a bit crazier from everything I heard though. I can't believe I hadn't heard about Haden Curch being in this, I think he was probably my favorite character and definitely the one I found the most humor in. This is certainly a good movie but I don't know quite yet where it will land. Glad Cricket finally forced my hand in watching it.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
For anyone who hasn't seen them yet, several of these movies are scheduled to air (in the U.S.) in the next couple of weeks:

NOTE: The times listed are EASTERN TIME. Check your local listings for the correct time in your time zone.

The Shawshank Redemption
Sat, Aug 08 at 1:30 PM on AMC
Thu, Aug 13 at 7:00 PM on SUNDANCE
Fri, Aug 14 at 1:00 PM on SUNDANCE

Being John Malkovich
Tue. Aug. 11 at 11:45 AM on SUNDANCE
Wed. Aug. 12 at 5:30 AM on SUNDANCE

The Blues Brothers
Mon. Aug. 17 at 2:15 AM on IFC

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Shawshank Redemption

**I apologize if I end up be-bopping around a lot with this post as I am basically stating my ideas of why I love this film as I see them. And of course I'm not very good at reviews either.**

This was probably close to my 100th time watching it (literally), but every time it is an emotional experience. It's hard for me to find any fault in the movie personally. The score is superb, Roger Deakins photography shines, and the acting is great from all pieces of the puzzle, with a brilliant story and brilliant directing. And it holds a lot of personal value: it was a film that my Dad and I had watched countless times before together and we could always use it as a bonding experience.

A good chunk of the movie is narrated through Ellis Redding, a Shawshank veteran played by Morgan Freeman who eventually becomes very close with Andy Dufresne. I'm a huge fan of Freeman's narration as it adds a lot to the film for me. The movie to me show the realism of just how brutal being behind walls is, especially telling in the brutal beating of the "fat man" who is the first to break down.

I like how some scenes are so memorable. Like for instance when Brooks asks for the maggot I always believed he was going to eat it when it was actually the bird he was taking care of, Jake. I also was really choked up by the other Brooks scene, "Brooks was here". It is rather speculation how well a scene with a minor character can choke one up a bit. And while generally a lot of credit is given to Robbins and Freeman, the supporting cast was splendid as well. Brooks (as previously stated), Warden, Hadley, Boggs are four great ones, but they really all are.

So what other scenes struck me as fantastic? Well certainly the
Escape scene and the reuniting of Andy and Red are two of my favorite scenes of all time. I know the escape scene is one that many saw coming from a mile away, but for me, it was perfect. Is something like that possible? Well it isn't likely but who is to say. It's plausibility doesn't hurt it for me. It is the final destination of Andy's journey of hope being achieved.

If we are looking for an underrated scene, I tend to go with the scene where Tommy talks about how he met Andy's wife's killer. It is a bit haunting and captivating at the same time. Andy's character seems to be shaken after going to Norton and it adds quite a bit of goosebumps to the story, seeing Norton turn into a bigger monster than he already is. Norton sees that Andy has a light at the end of the tunnel and is the type of person who doesn't want him to see anything but darkness, in which the ensuing hole represents. The whole "obtuse" scene is a very chilling one that brings Andy to the realization of where he is at in his life and the unfortunate circumstances that have bestowed him.

Friendship and Hope are two of the greatest human qualities of life, and they are both presented as the key topics to this film. We see the progress of both friendship and hope happen in the two places that you would be least likely to see it, which for me adds a unique touch to the film. Laughter is another and though it isn't a key piece to the film, under the surface there really is plenty of it in this film, which I think is intentionally intended to be that way now that I think of it. Through the friendship of Red, Andy is instilling his hope in his future particularly through smuggling into the prison a rock hammer and the Rita Hayworth poster. But hope always runs its tests, and Andy had plenty of them. Boggs and the Warden often acting as devil figures standing in his way of the ocean. Andy at times gets near the bottom of the pit, but he never truly gives up on his hope. I like to think that Andy's love for chess and Rita Hayworth is a symbol of how one can fall back on things they like to take some of the pressure off. We also see how one can lose hope, through the view of Brooks. It would ha been very easy for Andy to go down the same route as Brooks, and that scene of Brooks is very powerful in showing exactly how hope can be lost.

Some of my favorite camera shots are when we first see the prison and when we see Hadley nearly push Andy over the building as they are working on the rooftop. Of course my favorite is the iconic prison break scene, with Andy running in the rain. It's a highly underrated film from a cinematography point as well. It's visuals are quite beautiful and often have great chemistry with the score to make scenes more impactful and memorable to me.

The dialogue is iconic. When Norton gives Andy a bible and says "Salvation lies within
" it is the perfect Segway to what acting ends up happening. These little tidbits that foreshadow throughout the movie truly makes it powerful and more impactful on each and every rewatch. There's other highly quotable scenes such as "These walls are funny. First you hate Em. Then you get used to Em.", "Get busy livin, or get busy dyin'.", "Hope is a dangerous thing". I could go on and on and on but they are all very impactful scene for me.

I like how Darabont keeps his main characters at the forefront of the film with Red and Andy. It is like we are going on a journey through their years of both struggle and growing together. Sometimes their struggles essentially keep them closer, as it makes them be able to relate to each other and their fellow inmates. But these two seem to be the brightest of the bunch. Red with his ability to smuggle through the walls, and Andy with his tax knowledge, book keeping abilities, and his ability to teach Tommy, and it is what keeps them together.

In getting back to iconic scenes, that prison break scene is my favorite scene of all time. It puts the entire journey of Andy's life into perspective, all in his escape. It is a very powerful and moving scene that I will never forget. It's score is stunning, it's cinematography breathtaking, and it's acting surreal.

I would also like to say that the last thirty minutes of this film are my favorite 30 minutes in all of cinema. The prison break, the arrest of Hadley and Norton (well, kind of), and the poetic reconnection of Andy and Red, the latter one of the more heartwarming scenes as well.

I know that it's impractical for a film not to have any faults but the truth in the matter is that this is a perfect film for me. Whatever faults the film has I use my blinders and do not see them. It has always been a top 3 film for me, has been in the top spot for awhile, and will probably stay up there until 2080.

+

To me, a culmination of what the HOF is all about. Sharing your personal favorites with others, and hoping that they like them well enough.

Master of My Domain
Shawshank Redemption
**I apologize if I end up be-bopping around a lot with this post as I am basically stating my ideas of why I love this film as I see them. And of course I'm not very good at reviews either.**
Nah, it was a great review, and really showed your passion for one film. I think the best reviews are ones that feel natural and filled with personal love, instead of trying to be structural and formal, using a lot of adjectives instead of describing why you actually loved it from the heart (I despise Letterboxd for this reason ).

The Shawshank Redemption

I've seen this movie a few times, and while it's not very high up on my favorite's list, I do love it and have a hard time finding fault with it. I think many of us believe that IMDb ratings can be deceiving, and I believe this movie gets a little bit of backlash for it's number one spot. This is an example in which I trust the rating, because there's a huge sample size, and people of all different tastes have seen this movie. I would have a hard time understanding why someone wouldn't *enjoy this movie to at least some extent.

The main thing for me is the story, simple, yet moving and perfectly executed. More important than the plot, this movie shows the triumph of the human spirit. Not many movies, if any, show it better. Trying to nitpick, I guess I would say I'm not completely overwhelmed by the performances or characters as a whole. I don't think Robbins or Freeman are upper echelon actors, but I do think they're very good, and they're at the top of their game here. I think the other performances are solid, yet unspectacular. I wouldn't consider them anywhere near a weakness, but I don't think any of the other performances or characters stand out as unforgettable.

As I said, I've seen this movie a few times, but it had been a few years so I'm glad it was nominated. It should be a threat in this Hall of Fame.

+

That leaves 6 left for me-
Bob Le Flambeur
Festen
Killer Joe
The Poker House
Take Shelter
You Can't Take it With You

Good rating Cricket. Glad you enjoyed it so much. Obviously I love characters like Brooks, Hayward, Hadley, Tommy, and the warden. Maybe because I have seen it so many times. The writing in Shawshank is top notch. That usually leads to good performances when you have capable actors.