Ant-Man

→ in
Tools    

When I first heard about this movie back in 2009, Disney hadn't finished acquiring Marvel as of yet and Edgar Wright was planning on directing the feature film. Based on the shrinking superhuman created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby, the film had been in development since 2004 and it seemed like things were getting off to somewhat of a good start.

Fast forward to late May of 2014, and Peyton Reed (The Break Up, Bring It On) steps into the director's chair with Adam McKay(Anchorman) set to co-write the movie. Fanboys became worried whether this would be good news or bad news for the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

A year has passed with Paul Rudd wearing the iconic Ant-Man suit. The film hit screens last week and it was my chance to see how it all panned out. At first, I was iffy when I thought about seeing this. Comparing the excitement I had towards the previous Marvel films, I was worried whether or not this would be Marvel's worst. My senses were way off base. It was one of the best MCU films I have seen.

Paul Rudd is a great funny actor and his roles suit him well. And with Marvel's specific touch of humor in their films, Rudd puts his own special brand of humor into the role of Scott lang that makes it even more memorable. The cast is superb which is a major plus with Michael Douglas as Hank Pym, the original Ant-Man and Scott Lang's mentor. Evangeline Lilly as Hope Van Dyne who becomes someone we all know in Marvel lore is a genuine sweetheart. Corey Stoll as Darren Cross a.k.a YellowJacket is wickedly awesome.

Let's not forget the cameos within the movie. I'll just be quiet about that one. Just one hint....he flies.

As any other MCU film, there are Marvel movie and comic book easter eggs and references galore. Yet in this one there are A LOT!! You just might have to see this again and watch verrrry carefully to spot them all. Unless you paid real close attention the first time. You can go here if you're lazy lol

I enjoyed Ant-Man immensely and again thought it was one of the best Marvel Cinematic Universe films to date. I thought the Captain America films were the best and The Avengers was just wow. But this just takes the cake. I am looking forward to Captain America: Civil War and can't wait to see how everything fits together.

My rating:

Don't forget to stay after the credits!!!!

"Give the audience what they want": it's been a staple of Marvel's on-screen storytelling for years. It's produced franchises, crossovers and billions of dollars, but along the way someone forgot to tell the studio giants what keeps movies fresh: variety.

Paul Rudd is Scott Lang, a cat burglar ex-con keen to quit "the life" and make amends with his young daughter. After denying several advances from his old crew of bumbling thieves (Michael Pena, David Dastmalchian and rapper T.I.), Lang is approached by Hank Pym (Michael Douglas), the original Ant-Man, with an offer to steal a copycat suit and prevent it being sold for warfare.

Even a screenplay co-written by the clever Edgar Wright (The World's End, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World) can't polish the studio's insistence on returning to the same tired, formulaic jokes time after time.

With each new film, Marvel's cinematic universe continues to cross more broadly the line separating action and comedy. This is all well and good, provided the humour carries some wit or originality with it, which this film does not. Were it not for the comedic sensibilities of Rudd and the malleable Pena, Ant-Man would be the most groan-inducing Marvel release yet.

Rudd makes a very likable hero, and Douglas gives a typically committed performance. Corey Stoll's Darren Cross, though, makes for a pretty goofy villain. His involvement in the story may have worked better did he not take himself so seriously, as he sticks out sorely in an otherwise lighthearted movie. His cliché-ridden dialogue during the climax feels lazy and brutally exposes the character's hollowness as a true threat.

Still, the film has its positives. The story is well paced, and the balance it strikes between a smaller scale adventure and one that still manages to feel important is a welcome change from the unfettered CGI carnage that comes packaged with some of the studio's bigger names.

The refreshing absence of exploding buildings and forty-minute firefights allow director Peyton Reed (Yes Man) to explore fun, unique fight scenes that make the most of Ant-Man's abilities.

The film also does a good job of taking what could've been the lamer aspects of the character – namely, his ability to make actual ants do his bidding – and explaining them in a way that sounds practical and important.

Ant-Man isn't the most insulting film of the summer. It just falters in the same places that have kept the MCU in a rut for far too long.

*There's nothing I love more than a bit of feedback, good or bad. So drop me a line on [email protected] and let me know what you thought of my review. If you're looking for a writer for your movie website or other publication, I'd also love to hear from you.*

Awesome movie i will give you 8/10

Great review jrs! I completely agree, Ant-Man was awesome. Hands-down my favorite Marvel Movie and Ant-Man is now my favorite MCU character.