MovieMeditation’s Diary Reviews // “Come and meditate with me!”

→ in
Tools    

I saw the trailer and not sure why but it reminded me of Snatch.
That happens to me with almost everything.

Glad you liked In Bruges, MM. I liked it even more on my second viewing.

Glad you liked In Bruges, MM. I liked it even more on my second viewing.
I bet. It seems like a movie that only gets better with each viewing!

Thanks a lot for meditating with me on a regular schedule, cricket, you are always kind to rep and comment on the stuff I do. Thank you for that, I'm grateful.

And thanks to everybody who takes a little time commenting, sharing their points of view or telling me they enjoy what they read. It means a lot to see comments instead of just rep, so thanks to those who has a sentence or two to spare.

MovieMeditation presents...
HIS FILM DIARY 2015
total movie count ........... current day count
192 .......................... 203

June 4th

—— 1966 ——
THE FACE OF ANOTHER
—— drama ——

Despite of an interesting premise, this eccentric existential look into a not too distant future,
fails to further develop on the promising sketches of ideas, which was wisely laid out by script

The script shows several signs of true genius, but unfortunately they never get to be unraveled or even provoke me enough to care or be amazed. Already by the opening I knew something wasn’t right, in the way it kept on flushing its themes out without looking at them probably; turning or twisting them. It was almost like the main character was this grand philosopher who just couldn’t shut up, like the writer had several thoughts about this great premise and just shoved them in the mouth of his main character so he could present these questions to the audience, in a way that felt far from natural.

It is a sincere shame that the director didn’t choose to go further with it, because there are so many directions this could have went in. Making it all worse, the director chooses to go in a direction, which is completely off from the central story, strangely finding his time to discuss things fairly irrelevant to the story we actually want to hear. There are plenty of amazing thing that could happen in this movie. But nothing amazing really happens at all. We see plenty of characters talking about what could be amazing; worrying about it, wondering about it, but never follows through with it. There are times where I was just about to feel relieved, simply because the story seemed to go in the right direction, while slowly building up to unleashing the bandage from the story. But that time never came. What it mainly gets praise for is the promising premise, which holds many interesting things, while I will also say that the visuals and soundscape are both great as well.

It is unfortunate, that this film wants to focus on its many ideas rather than the execution of them. It is a shame, that the film is generally well-directed with striking imagery certain to be remembered, and beautiful black and white cinematography to go with it as well. I was really fascinated with this film, but in the long run I began to give up on the fact that I would ever see this movie leap off screen – expose itself from behind the facades, while finally moving on from what began to feel like a circle of empty talk by the end of it – a movie that just never moved on. It was like the film tried to solve a math problem within itself, filling out the entire blackboard with intermediate calculations, but in the end, couldn’t come up with the correct conclusion to the equation. When it was over I kind of felt like an examiner myself, “you know, this is all very fascinating, and I respect the effort put into it, but what was the point of all this? How can I give this a good grade, if you didn’t solve what you set out to do? Maybe if you had said something during all this, instead of silently standing there writing out all this stuff without ever putting it to use or presenting it properly. I simply can’t give you too many points for just writing it out, without discussing it, presenting it or solving it. I’m sorry, but I will have to grade you with a B-, young Teshigahara…”

-

Is your
- really a C-? I give it the same rating but that translates to a B- for me.
No, not really, it's probably more of a B- as you said. But that last part was mosty for the fun of it, I didn't want to check what it translated into. We don't use letter grades here in Denmark, so I have no idea what is what.

For me, I gave up on rating things. For several reasons, including:

1 - Art is not like a math exam where you can actually measure the result.
2 - Movies, manga, TV series and novels are each very different from each other and try to do different things, if every movie tried to do the same thing would be easier to rate them.
3 - To organize art in a hierarchy is essentially excluding and discriminatory and insults the richness that you get from it by slapping a label with a number in it.

And note that I was obsessed with lists and ratings, even tried to use a 100 point rating system for a while. After obsessing over such nonsense I reached the conclusion it is something inherently stupid. Hence, I am not rating anything that I read, watch or listen anymore, I am now also in Bluedeed's school of using only words.

Well, I think many, or even all, agree that slapping a number or letter on a movie as a way of judging it, is far from optimal, but I do it mostly as a way for myself to remember how I feel about a film, so I don't have ro read several paragraphs to find out.

To judge only by a rating is definitely not the way to go, but it's a small and easy way of quickly categorizing something for yourself or others, so they have an idea, and if they want a clearer picture they can read the review.

And by the way, my math example was for fun, so you shouldn't take it as serious as it seems you're doing. And actually you can't "measure the result" in the example I was using, since I referred to an on oral math exam. But anyways, don't think you have to put everything up so nicely and all, because I would bet several people agree that simple gradings are far from perfect.

The benefit of rating is that it shows relative appreciation. For example someone might say negative things about a movie, but then give it rather good rating, so it makes readers understand the criticism isn't so crucial. The reverse is also true, when positives might not be so crucial as to give very good rating. It's fair to say rating movies is stupid, but then again it's just another stupid thing people do.

I have to return some videotapes.
Gosh I feel bad because I haven't seen any of these movies so I can't really give proper responses other than stuff like "Good Review".. trust me if I did i'd give you less boring responses

But... Good Review

It's okay Cole, I appreciate every comment. The fact that you comment and read my reviews is more than enough! And maybe reading the reviews will make you go watch some of these films, which makes the review more than worth writing, even for people who haven't seen the movie.

My coming reviews will be for Le Samouraď, Lady and the Tramp and Still Alice. I bet you have seen at least one of them!

I have to return some videotapes.
I've seen Lady and the Tramp but I didn't want to watch Still Alice.. looks too depressing.

I think it's important to come to terms with your own method of valuing and evaluating. It's good that you, Guap, have come to use words and not ratings. But I think it's different for everyone. I take my rating method very seriously. So I don't think you should write it off altogether. Ratings may be far from perfect, but so are words. In fact, of all the methods of communicating, I've heard words are the least effective. But ratings, like words, are tools. Everyone has their own methods, and they all have a range of usefulness and accuracy. It's important to find what works for you, but also to not dismiss what may work for someone else. Everything has it's place. Look past the words and ratings to the ideas they try to communicate.

Just let it be, Zotis... Guap has never been one to understand other people and their opinions and differences anyways.

(don't kill me Guap, I'm only half-joking here )

Never heard of Shaun the Sheep. No interest in it either. Jacob's Ladder is a movie that has been on my watchlist for a few years now. I kinda wish I hadn't read your review since you spoil a lot of details, but I guess that's hard to avoid with a movie like that. Not a big deal, though. I'm sure I'll forget what I just read by the time I get around to watching it.

Snowpiercer seems to be a very divisive movie. I've seen some people rank it among the best films of last year while others can't stand it. There doesn't seem to be much middle ground. I'm hopeful that I'll fall into the "love it" camp. I'm a big fan of some of the director's earlier efforts.

Since you let the pictures speak for themselves, I'm assuming Ashes and Snow is a documentary about bestiality. I was lukewarm on In Bruges. I've only seen it the one time, but I remember not liking it at all for the first half, then suddenly I found myself really into it. The Face of Another sounds interesting, even if it's flawed.

I especially enjoyed your review for Curse of the Black Pearl. One of the all-time great adventure films. And who doesn't love Captain Jack Sparrow? It sounds like you had a lot of fun writing that review, too, with all the clever pirate wordplay. Har, har, matey!

Yay, Spaulding didn't feel my wordplay overwhelming this time! Maybe because you actually had a little less to read this time, though still quite a chunk. glad you liked my Pirates review!

And Captain you fool, I wrote in my intro to the Jacob's Ladder review that it would contain spoilers, so you shouldn't read any further. It's not my fault!

Great to see you check in, hope you enjoy my future reviews, I always love reading your comments, Spaulding!

And Captain you fool, I wrote in my intro to the Jacob's Ladder review that it would contain spoilers, so you shouldn't read any further. It's not my fault!
Curiosity killed the clown.

Curiosity killed the clown.
Yeah I see.

Anyways, I can actually make you a little happy by saying I personally knew the ending beforehand, too, after having it spoiled once. So yeah, this movie isn't at all about the so-called twist, it's about the imagery and execution of it. So we are on the same page!

Nice review MM, I really wanted to watch Face of Another for the 60's countdown but didnt get round to it.
Thank you, SL!

I appreciate you checking in here and took a little time to tell me you liked what you read. Means a lot. Glad you liked the review, I will definitely say go see it sometime. It's worth checking out and I know there are people who absolutely love it, you may do as well.