Gatsby's New and Improved Flick Critique

→ in
Tools    

I think you picked the wrong film to rant on me, because the Wes Anderson film I have ever criticised for "quirkiness" is Moonrise Kingdom. While in other films Anderson's unique style simmers into the film and blends in perfectly with the plot and characters, in Moonrise Kingdom the quirkiness felt like it was there for the sake of quirkiness, and to fill in blank spots in the frame.
Well, it's one of my top three favorite films of his (if not my favorite), so I felt the need to defend it anyway.

Master of My Domain
Annie hall (1977)

Directed by: Woody Allen
Starring: Woody Allen, Diane Keaton, Christopher Walken, Tony Roberts

Moment of pure gold, and it's one of many.
Annie Hall is another great film that grasps the flow of an entirely human life – but in a different way. Normally, even brilliant films need additional exposition and imagery to deliver the impact. In Annie Hall, that doesn¡¯t happen. It¡¯s one of the very few films that disassemble a commentary on love and passion with only talking. Endless talking. The characters talk and talk and talk during the entire movie, but when the opening monologue is funnier than most stand-up comedian jokes you¡¯ve ever seen, you realize you¡¯re not dealing with just any endless chatterbox.

This is not a comedy about sharply executed, cynical lines of hilarity timed perfectly, penned by several writers who are writing for the sake of a couple of jokes that will hold under the duress of whatever far-fetched ridiculous plot thrown into the mixing pot. In the world of Annie Hall stuttering is a common thing and the awkwardness is the knee-slapper, and occasional randomness (ex. A half-eaten sandwich from Annie¡¯s car) blend in perfectly

Thus, the characters are flawed, as all comedic characters are, but Alvy Singer (Woody Allen) and Annie Hall (Diane Keaton) are so natural at bringing them to live. Sometimes I forgot that the charm comes out from good acting, casting and a brilliant script The former is a scoring strike; the lines and even the facial expression are just for the actors, instead of the other way around. The latter's cliche destroying abilities show early on When Annie meets Alvy for the first time and takes him to her place and offers a drink, the scene could easily revolve around one of them getting drunk and creating havoc as things break and embarrassment is forced¡¦ oh the hilarity. What the film does is cleverly stand on the edge, keeping your eyes glued to the conversation, as witty subtitles showing their insides thoughts come and go, wondering how it all ended up, not what is going to happen afterwards. Because as I stated earlier, the film is solely driven by dialogue, resulting in the plot is semi non-linear.

We already know Alvy met Annie, started to love each other, and then broke up. It¡¯s told in the very beginning moments of the film. This has both pros and cons, but in a film like Annie Hall, the progress at the center of the movie, not the result, is more effective. It gives a space for endlessly quotable dialogue, intellectual humor placed in situations nobody would expect, and when they hit you it is a delight.

Egregious amounts of neurotic behavior and idiosyncratic elements come from the mind of Allen¡¯s character. It¡¯s almost impossible to expect a girl to keep dating you after pushing her to listen to college courses. A question is inspired: is this all really happening? The story is told solely through first person, out of order, partially surreal, talking to the audience and even the moments that seem legitimate have a humorous uncertainty. Another great trait of the film is the close boundary between fiction and reality, and it¡¯s all up to the viewer¡¯s interpretation. It makes a film meant for a wide audience at the same time meant for each individual.

The script is of course a one-of-a-kind, but it blinds a key aspect of the film (other than Christopher Walken's performance), and that¡¯s the direction. Now, in recent years, I prefer Allen writing stories instead of being at the helm, but Annie Hall is different. It is a film with great direction, as good as anything else. Allen¡¯s direction is swift and understanding of what kind of film he¡¯s making. He preferred shooting scenes in long takes, and having the actors interact inside a single shot. Annie Hall is a fast film with words coming out a rapid speed and precise flaws; frequent cutting would have easily been an annoyance. The film isn¡¯t a series of short, blunt firing of a pistol, but more like a rotating machine gun that never misses the mark no matter how far out it is.

Okay, so I mentioned the script and the direction, so does the movie¡¯s laugh-o-meter reach pretty high? Short answer: yes. Long answer: Who knew constant observe and report could be so funny. I laughed, I laughed hard, and I¡¯m part of the generation where bad quality and humor and good quality humor blended together to create a level of mediocrity and blandness we all had to enjoy because it¡¯s the only entertainment available. And it worked, because the formula was made according to the majority¡¯s taste.

Annie Hall is a film that recklessly charges straightforward and creates trend. There aren¡¯t any films like this anymore, because everyone is afraid of assuming nobody knows who Fellini or McLuhan is, when all they need to do is try harder. Even though you don¡¯t know who Fellini and McLuhan is, the scene where a guy waiting in a theater line endlessly rating about him is flawlessly funny, because I¡¯m sure some of the audience who waited to see Annie Hall had to deal with a certain loud and pretentious moron.

And when we just want to kick that guy out and send him to oblivion, the film does just that – a fourth wall break from Alvy brings in McLuhan to criticize the man. Then chimes in Alvy once again saying, ¡°If only real life were like this.". Right in the feels.

On the outside, Annie Hall is honest, simple, and not greasy, and on the inside riddled with clever references and a few perfectly placed surreal moments, that aren¡¯t an interruption, but more like a multiplication of a whole. It connects so well with young men and women everywhere, and their worries are transformed into a wonderful film. The greatest comedy is not only one where you laugh at the characters, more importantly when you constantly laugh with them.

I ended a review of a film with a note similar to this one, and it was The Graduate. Both are warm soup for the struggling soul, but the two are totally different. The Graduate started an age of heat, in a sexual sense, and Annie Hall, in a way, sort of cooled it down into the right direction. But in the grand scheme, it doesn¡¯t matter, because both are great, and both had people everywhere asking ¡°Mrs. (insert name) are you trying to seduce me?¡±, then leaving with a nervous ¡°La-Dee-Da¡±, hoping not to meet a spider as big as a Buick on the way home.

Footnote: I loved this film way more than my first viewing, but for now I¡¯m giving it a conservative rating.

I have to return some videotapes.
Good effort, but I don't think I will watch any Woody Allen movies anytime soon. He just does not appeal to me at all, and i've heard some pretty weird stories.

Master of My Domain
Great review, Gatsby. I don't love Annie Hall, yet it's one of my favorites from Woody.
Thanks cricket. Yeah, Annie Hall is just about everyone's favorite Allen.
Another excellent review Gatsby! I am not big on Allen to be honest, but Annie Hall along with The Purple Rose of Cairo are among the Allen movies I have liked quite a bit.
We're on the exact same boat GS. I only like 3 of the many Allen films I've seen so far, but Annie Hall definitely stood out for me since the recent rewatch. Also, glad you liked the review.
Very good review. Glad you liked it so much.
Thanks Sean. I was waiting for your reply.
Good "effort"?
But I don't think I will watch any Woody Allen movies anytime soon. He just does not appeal to me at all, and i've heard some pretty weird stories.
You shouldn't let "bad stories" about directors and films and personal prejudices get in the way of exploring the world of cinema. I know it's all up to you, but I think not watching a film because of reasons other than the quality of the film itself (which you have to watch to find out, so what I'm implying is that no excuses should be made whatsoever). A lot of my favorites were found unexpectedly.

Master of My Domain
The Blair Witch Project (1999)

Directed by: Daniel Myrick, Eduardo Sanchez
Starring: Heather Donahue, Micheal C. Williams, Joshua Leonard

Looks like he's saying it with his nose.

The viewing experience of The Blair Witch Project is being stuck in a rapidly rotating washing machine located at the middle of a, creepy - but extremely uninteresting- wilderness. This film is a "project" that deserves the F grade, and a one-way trip to the teacher¡¯s office. The fact that it was shot on a low budget and grossed over 200 times its budget it not something you should admire, rather a trigger for inquisition. With a bit more effort and time it could have been a decent horror film, instead it set an infamous example, resulting in dozens of films shaking the camera like a Spanish instrument, and shouting out loud; "Hey look, we made a found footage horror, isn¡¯t this great?". Simply put, no, but this film needs a more specific breakdown to fully not understand.

Critics hailed this film for being a modern horror masterpiece, using suspicions and false alarms to create chills. But the problem is that imagination, the thing in our head that¡¯s supposed to scare us, is not provoked enough throughout the film. The film is only interested in showing a group of teenagers screaming their lungs out and running frantically, over and over again, until they're tired out as much as we are. There is no time for you to think. There is no time to make you imagine what¡¯s going on, as soon as the ideas starts to flow, you are immediately whisked to another similar scene- the only difference is as the film progresses, it gets more annoying, repetitive, and only studious when it comes to the theory of horror, unfortunately all that knowledge never pays off.

The above being said, no wonder Daniel Myrick and Eduardo (the two directors) can¡¯t produce another hit. The Blair Witch Project became largely successful because of innovative marketing (the only great thing to come out of the film) and it was simply new.

Atmosphere is a big part of horror films, and it can scare audiences without having to introduce a proper villain, or even need to have a straightforward storyline. Alright, say a film has atmosphere, but it isn't scary, or a film is scary and doesn¡¯t have atmosphere. The Blair Witch Project is a rare case where no attempted stylistic aspects succeed. The laws of chance suggest something should have gone right- not here. The absurd plot also defies the laws of chance, as there is no way the series of events shown at the beginning can lead to such atrocious dizziness. If there is something I missed in between, it¡¯s the film¡¯s fault, because it doesn¡¯t clarify basic points even for a found footage horror.

Now I'm reminded of the plot. A review wouldn¡¯t be a review without a plot summary so here it goes. The film begins with subtitles explaining a lost, and now, after a year later, found footage (pun intended) about the journey of three student filmmakers Heather Donahue, Michael C. Williams, and Joshua Leonard trying to make a documentary of the fabled Blair Witch. Everything seems to go well at first, but then soon they discover a disturbance in the woods, and attempt to escape and provide explanations as well. The end, let's move on.

I normally never expect good characters development from most horror films, and don¡¯t bother me much, as long as it¡¯s tolerable. In the case of Blair Witch Project, it is located 2 steps below the ladder of character caring level (and there are only three characters, the odds are baffling!) from I Know What you did Last Summer, and 1 step above Battlefield Earth. The acting is bad, luckily Heather Donahue got nominated for a Razzie. Maybe we could have given a bit more attention if their faces and actions were fully visible for just a few seconds. Once again, another key basic element of a film, sacrificed for incomprehensible movement. A deal with the devil himself would be wiser.

Eventually, things come to a full circle, things start to reveal itself, and there is a bit entertaining climatic tension at the end, but the final few scenes ruin everything. I could use spoiler tags if I wanted to, but I'm not going to, and it is not because I don't know how to use them or because I want to keep the ending a secret, it is because I don't want it to be part of my review. It is crummy, unexpected, shallow, and the definition of the word ¡°anti-climatic" in a nutshell. Arguably, there couldn't be possible alternative ending to be used as a satisfying finish, but the film set its own course to disasterville, and didn¡¯t turn around in time.

I end this review on hoping the Blair Witch won¡¯t seek revenge on everyone who saw a horrible portrayal of her.

+

Welcome to the human race...
I like how Gatsby thinks giving Annie Hall a
after a repeat viewing is a "conservative rating", meanwhile when I did a review that gave it
after a repeat viewing, I had to wonder if I was being a bit too generous.

Master of My Domain
I abhor The Blair Witch Project, it has no redeeming qualities at all as far as I'm concerned.

What's that + doing there?
The first few minutes and another few minutes here and there. But they're painfully mediocre, and don't have a huge difference in quality compared to the rest of the film.
I like how Gatsby thinks giving Annie Hall a
after a repeat viewing is a "conservative rating", meanwhile when I did a review that gave it
after a repeat viewing, I had to wonder if I was being a bit too generous.
Well, I rewatched a film I once disliked but then I ended up loving, the jokes all hit their mark for me, so yeah my "conservative" rating is a whopping

Btw, you rarely use the word "I like" in a sentence so I'll take you post as a compliment.
Wha? The ending of Blair Witch is great.
Come see me today after class is over.

I saw Blair Witch with my wife when it cane out. We stopped overnight during a road trip in some hick town, and went to the creepy local theater. We enjoyed it a good amount, but we did have a nice built in atmosphere. If I watched it today at home, I don't know how I'd feel.

Master of My Domain
I think I'd better. It sounds like the 'teacher' has some learning to do.
Dude, you're making my last post on MoFo become a reality sooner and sooner with every post like this one.
I saw Blair Witch with my wife when it cane out. We stopped overnight during a road trip in some hick town, and went to the creepy local theater. We enjoyed it a good amount, but we did have a nice built in atmosphere. If I watched it today at home, I don't know how I'd feel.
If you don't want to get a divorce you shouldn't watch it with her.

Watch it alone and tell me that you hated it. I'm sure you'll dislike it more than over 10 yrs ago for the first time in the hick town since now you easily have a good taste.

Just curious, were you married to her when you watched the film?
Still easily one of the worst, if not the worst movie I ever saw.
Thank goodness nobody remade Taxi Driver, that would be something only Spike Lee would do.

Master of My Domain
Lars Von Trier said he wanted to do it. That would have sucked!
He probably would have made Travis Bickle and Betsy have sex after the Swedish sex education film. Yep, would have sucked.