Gatsby's New and Improved Flick Critique

→ in
Tools    

Master of My Domain
The Rock (1996)

Starring: Sean Connery, Nicholas Cage, Ed Harris
Directed by: Michael Bay

To sum up how I feel about The Rock, I'd have to use the meme based off those beer ads starring Jonathan Goldsmith, the one that goes; "I don't always like X, but when I do I Y." I don't always like Michael Bay films (actually never), but when I do I love The Rock. The only legitimately good Mr. Baysplosion film in my opinion, because it works as a somewhat exhilarating, suspenseful action piece with a lot of quality humor. Yes, I just used the words "suspenseful" and "quality humor" in a sentence to describe a Michael Bay film. I'm surprised too, but the film it just that pretty damn fine, considering how it could have easily ended up being a disaster.

The biggest difference from Bay's early years compared to recent activity is that he doesn't take himself seriously with loads of grandiosity to the point where we are repulsed by its belief that something plausible and coherent is going on. Sure, the plot about Alcatraz and our heroes trying to do something with typical scientific weaponry and theories in most 90s action films is already laughable and drags the film down, but it isn't Transformers where the story treats itself like a sci-fi semi-existentialism film.

The film has a good sense of humor that do involve Bay stereotypes but they are executed well without crossing the line and are timed to be released at a moment when they are needed. All this is backed up by the great acting, mainly a perfectly aged Sean Connery, and Ed Harris being Ed Harris, which is nice touch to the film. Nicholas Cage is also being Nicholas Cage but to be honest, he could have been replaced with any other actor and there wouldn't be any difference.

I believe Bay has talent, to some extent and it shows here. The pacing is a winner and it skillfully connects action scene to another action scene smoothly without having to put any forced exposition in it. It doesn't tell the audience the film is going to do this or that next. It just moves on, leading the film with a strong, rolling force. This is however, the cause of over-doing things as usual; such examples are the 136 minute running time and mercilessly used shaky-cam and cars that seem to have inflammable bumpers, headlights, and the weight of a toddler's tricycle, judging from explosions happening on contact and the cars being tossed 6 feet into the air.

The real cream of the crop happens at the final destination of the plot, the shower room of Alcatraz. It's probably the only time when Bay builds-up an atmosphere before having his orgasm. You can see the men at the bottom have no chance of getting out alive, but they try their best to defend against the torrent of bullets. The men on the upper floor on the other hand, know that this is an easy victory, and they pull the trigger vigorously. The former men are shown fighting in slow motion and grief; the latter have fast editing and camera movement, which shows contrasting psychological states. It isn't entirely brilliant, yet it shows the film' s decency and proof that it's more complex than people think, differentiating itself from the average pool.

Over-the-top, enjoyable enough, explosion rigged action and dark, claustrophobic action with a boring story in between but enough characters and jokes to cover it up is all about The Rock. It really isn't much, some parts do make you cringe and lament about them, I have never gone crazy for it but I am always glad to watch it. Whether it's because of the nostalgia, or because I love Sean Connery when he's old, bad-ass and not James Bond, I love this film. If Michael Bay is sensible enough he'll stop cannibalizing himself with Transformers sequels, and instead make The Rock 2. If he doesn't, I need tablecloth for the farewell party.

+

I've seen it ages ago but The Rock was on TV again the other day and I ended up watching most of it. Decent film I have to admit, and Bay's best from what I've seen.

Gats, I was going to change one of your posts to joke with you, which is a rare moment thing. Then I seen your score and review for Michael Bay's film and I just couldnt do it. Im glad you enjoy him but I do not.

Master of My Domain
I've seen it ages ago but The Rock was on TV again the other day and I ended up watching most of it. Decent film I have to admit, and Bay's best from what I've seen.
Yeah it isn't anything spectacular like I said in my review, I just like it quite a bit for personal reasons but it certainly is Bay's best because the rest of his filmography is crap.
Gats, I was going to change one of your posts to joke with you, which is a rare moment thing. Then I seen your score and review for Michael Bay's film and I just couldnt do it. Im glad you enjoy him but I do not.
That's okay. How did you think of my Aguirre review?

Then I seen your score and review for Michael Bay's film and I just couldnt do it. Im glad you enjoy him but I do not.

Did I read something different than you did? I read that Gatsby didn't enjoy him, just the movie.

Did I read something different than you did? I read that Gatsby didn't enjoy him, just the movie.
its an overall statement..

Yeah it isn't anything spectacular like I said in my review, I just like it quite a bit for personal reasons but it certainly is Bay's best because the rest of his filmography is crap.

That's okay. How did you think of my Aguirre review?
I liked your review but I havent seen the film. There are still many films I want to see but havent.

I will try to check it out soon.

The Rock is awesome, I love it as well and it is definitely Bay's best film. A shame he can't make movies like this anymore. He also used to be all about getting down and dirty with the action, now it's just a big bloated CG explosion fest...

But this one, litterally, rocks! Good review too, Gats.

Master of My Domain
Just so everyone doesn't get the wrong idea here, this is how I rank Bay's other films:

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
-
The Island

Pearl Harbor

Bad Boys 2
+
Transformers: Age of Extinction

Transformers: Dark of the Moon

Transformers

Horrible director.

Just so everyone doesn't get the wrong idea here, this is how I rank Bay's other films:

-
The Island

Pearl Harbor

Bad Boys 2
+

Transformers

Horrible director.
I have no clue how Michael Bay's films are allowed to be Criterion. I heard he pays the committee money to allow them to be part of the collection Yeah I could be wrong but I wouldnt put it past Bay.

You don't have to prove your love for a film Gats, though I'm not saying your are desperately trying to or anything, but if you like a film you like it. I mean after all, The Rock is an action favorite in many people's eyes and of course Bay's best, and for some his only decent film, in his entire filmography. So I don't think anybody got the wrong idea that you like this but really don't like his other stuf.

They probably did it because early on, the company needed some money so made some more popular films that would sell into Criterions. Robocop is another unusual early Criterion.

Im not trashing Gats for him liking a Bay film. People can like what they want. I was just going to give him a bit of teasing on one of his other post but decided not to.. You all tease me especially you, MM. Im just not a fan of Bay.

Im sure many of you dont like some of the stuff I watch.

You don't have to prove your love for a film Gats, though I'm not saying your are desperately trying to or anything, but if you like a film you like it. I mean after all, The Rock is an action favorite in many people's eyes and of course Bay's best, and for some his only decent film, in his entire filmography. So I don't think anybody got the wrong idea that you like this but really don't like his other stuf.
I did. After reading the review, I got the impression that Michael Bay was Gatsby's favorite director. I'm still not convinced otherwise.

Hey MovieGal, I'm not teasing anybody here (at least not now ).

I just commentated on Gatsby's ratings of Bay's filmography. Actually, I hadn't even seen what you wrote when I did my reply.

Master of My Domain
I did. After reading the review, I got the impression that Michael Bay was Gatsby's favorite director. I'm still not convinced otherwise.
MICHAEL BAY COMPLETELY ROCK!

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

-
The Island

Pearl Harbor

Bad Boys 2
+

Transformers

Horrible director.
You need to go the "Art & Politics" thread and try to explain yourself.

The Rock is awesome; I think it's in that second tier of great action films behind the likes of Die Hard and The Terminator. As far as Bay goes, I also loved Bad Boys and really enjoyed Pain & Gain and Armageddon. Bad Boys 2 was just ok.

Master of My Domain
The Rock is awesome; I think it's in that second tier of great action films behind the likes of Die Hard and The Terminator. As far as Bay goes, I also loved Bad Boys and really enjoyed Pain & Gain and Armageddon. Bad Boys 2 was just ok.
I understand the liking of Bad Boys and Pain & Gain to some point but Armageddon? Could you explain a bit cricket?