Movie Tab II

Tools    

Falling Down (1993)
Dir. Joel Schumacher

Minor spoilers below.

Managed to not see this for a very long time. Late last night, I finally got a chance to watch it and I'm glad I did. As a writer myself, I'm constantly trying to find the science behind movies I love and why exactly I love them.

Falling Down proves how completely vital character introductions, memorable first scenes and relatability are to grabbing you by the collar of your shirt, telling you that you're going to sit through this entire thing and you're going to like it.

Instantly, we are thrown into a complete nightmare of a situation. Dead stop traffic. Sweltering heat. Sharing the road with a bunch of mouthbreathing morons. D-Fens (Michael Douglas) feels like the only sane person around and so do we. We are one with the main character. The hilarious move he pulls here to break out of this scene just further cements it. The hook has been set masterfully. You're in for a fun ride.

The second act of this movie definitely shines. Originally, I was going to point out that I found some of the common man frustrations to be a tad dated. But, the more I think about it, I realize that's just wrong. A lot of what our protagonist is fed up with still applies today. Everything's too damn expensive, you can't walk the streets of your own neighborhood without being accosted by some punks, etc. (Don't want to spoil too much). As we press on though, we begin to realize that maybe we wouldn't have taken the same routes to justice as our anti-hero has.

The film toes the line well here and manages to keep you on D-Fens's side despite some questionable actions. It's understandable. He's had a hell of a day. But soon, your patience is tested. Sure, we're having a fun romp throughout the inner city and disposing of those we think don't deserve to walk the streets anymore. But, these phone calls are getting strange. His recklessness is skyrocketing. Slowly but surely, he's transforming into a full blown sociopath.

Featuring a bizarrely funny performance by Robert Duvall as Prendergast, an old police department inside-man who just so happens to be retiring the day D-Fens decides to go nuts, this movie is an absolute classic. Falling Down is well known and well regarded for it's dark humor and self-aware tone. But I think the real victory here, is managing to slowly peel the layers back in a way that you can almost miss if you're caught just looking at the surface.

FINAL VERDICT: A classic in every way. My personal favorite of Joel Schumacher's. And maybe my favorite Michael Douglas movie as well.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The problem with meaty's last set is his explanations are too serious to not make any sense, but they don't.

The Haunting

I felt bad too giving Psycho a lower rating. That really black shot of the Bates Motel when Marion arrives generates so much dread with just a simple image. Anthony Perkins' is incredible. The movie is virtually perfect until after the shower scene. But on the other hand it's a prime suspect of explaining everything to the audience. The unexplainable, the illogical, is always going to be scarier than something we can understand.

The second half is still interesting, but is completely missing that overwhelming dread from the first half. In the first half Norman is in control of his little world, he even opens up to Marion in the most pulsating "first date scene" ever. In the later half he's bumbling around trying to cover his tracks, he can't keep his story straight, he's dressing up like an old woman. Then they take it even further and have the detective explain almost everything about him.

The Haunting on the other hand doesn't explain much of anything. Although the premise of the movie is that an anthropologist is attempting to scientifically prove that ghosts or supernatural forces exist. He attempts to logically interpret all the scary stuff happening around his test group, but the movie is instead from the point of view of a sheltered, strange woman who's narration becomes increasingly weird. The scares are often sounds rather than visuals, another element that leaves more to the imagination.

Death Wish (1974)
Dir. Michael Winner

Minor spoilers below.

Jesus Christ, what a disappointment. This is a mess. Maybe it's because I was led to believe that this was going to be some kind of masterpiece or that it set the template for a lot of modern revenge movies. But even watching this with forgiving eyes, I see nothing but flaws. I'm not sure this is even B-movie level.

The first twenty minutes actually trick you into thinking that the rest of the film is going to be decent, or at the very least coherent. Paul Kersey (Charles Bronson) is a down-to-earth, bleeding heart liberal architect who gets a phone call one day informing him that his wife and daughter had been raped and assaulted by a group of thugs. There it is. Now Paul will go on a rampage ending in killing the pieces of trash that killed his wife. Right?

What follows is a confusing, meandering, nonsensical string of events so willingly stupid and free of logic that it makes me question the sanity of anyone who can honestly say they enjoy the flick and have watched it multiple times. Doing my best not to completely spoil anything, what the hell was going on in this?

Eventually, the core reason Kersey becomes an assassin of sorts just gets completely dropped. The action scenes are just in fact the same scene over and over again in different locations. There are a litany of scenes with no meaning and no conflict. No resolution. No satisfaction. Seemingly every criminal in the city comes equipped with only a knife while our protagonist appears to be a God considering he's the only one with an access to firearms.

You can only hear "give me the money" so many times before you stop thinking about the movie and just dial in on Bronson's 'stache.

FINAL VERDICT: Dog sh*t. Don't watch it.

Frank (2014)
Dir. Lenny Abrahamson

Minor spoilers below.

It's too often that low budget indies share the same core DNA. Long, hypnotizing shots. Kind of a semblance of a plot but not a fully fleshed out story. Sad existentialism. Non-endings. Blech. So, it's exciting when something so fresh and original comes around.

Frank is good. Really good. The film tells the story of a young, passionate keyboard player named Jon (Domhnall Gleeson) who wants nothing else but to play music despite being a tad mediocre and knowing it. After finding an ad in the paper looking for someone that plays the keys, Jon heads to this rehearsal of sorts to try out for the band.

There he meets a set of strange folk who don't even acknowledge his arrival and instead launch into some jam that sounds like a weird modern blend of Franz Ferdinand, Pink Floyd and Screamin' Jay Hawkins that fits so well and sounds so good that we can relate to the smile that washes over Jon's face as he realizes what he's gotten himself into. Even if the lead singer of the band, Frank (Michael Fassbender), wears a giant paper-mache head reminiscent of a character out of Morel Orel and never shows his real face to anyone.

A true character driven story pushed forward with fantastic performances by Domhnall Gleeson, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Michael Fassbender and Scoot McNairy, this is an extremely intriguing, ultra original piece of work that outshines its low-budget contemporaries a hundred times over. Exploring serious thought-provoking themes in endearing ways and ending on a higher note than I thought was possible, I can't recommend Frank enough. It's on Netflix Instant. Do yourself a favor and check it out.

FINAL VERDICT: One of the most original films I've seen in quite some time. You'd be doing yourself an injustice by not checking this out. A contained, oddly beautiful little movie.

Starry Eyes (2014)
Dir. Kevin Kolsch, Dennis Widmyer

Minor spoilers below.

Like its main character, Starry Eyes is extremely ambitious. Is it as ambitious to a fault, though?

Alex Essoe delivers a heartbreaking performance as Sarah and carries this film as an aspiring actress that burns to be famous living in LA with a group of other aspiring creatives. Though unlike her friends, Sarah actually has a will and a drive to get to the top. She walks the walk. As opposed to the others who just spend their time talking about what they want to do while never really acting on anything.

With great character precision and a feeling of overall desperation, this is a horror film to be watched ASAP. As disturbing as it is interesting, I find Sarah's descent into a dark underworld controlling Hollywood to be extremely unnerving and creepy as all hell. A clear homage to the scary flicks of yesteryear (including its vintage title card), I'm reminded of the old drive-in double features of the 70's where this would've not only fit right in but would've probably had top billing.

Unfortunately though, like many of those back in the day, the story does fall off the tracks and go down a path that it didn't really have to resulting in a bit of a lesser film. There's so much potential here and I feel a more subtle execution of ideas and themes could've taken Starry Eyes to the next level. With silly decisions and cliche character and story elements, I'm left feeling less enthusiastic about this one than I really want to be as I love the first half of the film and want to be on its side. A more solid focus and grounded logic and this would've been my favorite horror movie of 2014.

FINAL VERDICT: Definitely worth a watch. Love its ambition. Love Alex Essoe's performance. But prepare to be disappointed when all is revealed and done so in an unsatisfying, deflating way.

Death Wish (1974)
Dir. Michael Winner

What follows is a confusing, meandering, nonsensical string of events so willingly stupid and free of logic that it makes me question the sanity of anyone who can honestly say they enjoy the flick and have watched it multiple times.
I'm insane.

Impostor (Gary Fleder, 2001)

Heatstroke (Evelyn Purcell, 2013)

Uninvited Guest (Timothy Wayne Folsome, 1999)

TRON (Steve Lisberger, 1982)

Computer programmer Jeff Bridges gets digitized and put into a computer where he has to battle for his life. He meets TRON, a program which looks like and was created by co-worker Bruce Boxleitner, and they flee on light-cycles from other programs who are out to destroy them.
Born to Fight (Van Campen Heilner, 1956)

The Proud Rebel (Michael Curtiz, 1958)

The Blue Dahlia (George Marshall, 1946)

The Tin Star (Anthony Mann, 1957)

Inexperienced sheriff Anthony Perkins gets advice from bounty hunter Henry Fonda who was once a sheriff too.
The Curtain Pole (D.W. Griffith, 1909)

Barney Oldfield's Race for a Life (Mack Sennett, 1913)

On His Wedding Day (Mack Sennett, 1913)

Gentleman Prefer Blondes (Howard Hawks, 1953)

Singers Jane Russell and Marilyn Monroe get what they can from as many men as they can on an ocean cruise to France because, as Marilyn sings, “Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend”.
The Speed Kings (Wilfred Lucas, 1913)

Ambrose's First Falsehood (F. Richard Jones, 1914)

Recreation (Charlie Chaplin, 1914)
+
The Knockout (Mack Sennett, 1914)

While boxer 'Fatty' Arbuckle rests on his corner stool between rounds of his boxing match, referee Charlie Chaplin recovers against the ropes from getting punched out last round.
Raze (Josh C. Waller, 2013)

Leading Lizzie Astray (Roscoe 'Fatty' Arbuckle, 1914)
+
Hash House Mashers (Mack Sennett, 1915)
+
The Rounders (Charlie Chaplin, 1914)

Lodge brothers 'Fatty' Arbuckle and Charlie Chaplin spend a drunken night away from their wives and end up sleeping in a leaky rowboat.
Red Flag (Alex Karpovsky, 2013)

Deadfall (Stefan Ruzowitzky, 2012)

A Case of You (Kat Coiro, 2013)

Eldorado (Bouli Lanners, 2008)
+

A road movie about two lonely, broken men, although the elder (Bouli Lanners) seems able to live life on his own. Oh yeah, it’s a Belgian comedy.

They Came Together (2014)
Dir. David Wain

Minor spoilers below.

And I laughed alone. For like 30 minutes. Love the Stella guys going back to The State. From what I heard of this one, I was sure it was going to be hilarious and it ended up living up to that in the beginning. Then, it was just kind of okay. Then, it became torturous. Christ, could this movie be any more one-note?

The entire concept behind the flick satirically plays with the cliche and tried-and-true methods behind most romantic comedy movies. But, then forgets to do anything else with it. Ultimately resulting in "Remember when they did this in that one movie?", for 90 minutes. I hate to say it, but I think something like this would've best been formatted for digital content like YouTube or a short Web Series.

They Came Together tells the story of Joel (Paul Rudd) and Molly (Amy Poehler) recounting how they met and how similar the events are to that of a typical Romantic Comedy during a dinner outing with their friends Kyle (Bill Hader) and Karen (Ellie Kemper). Kicking off on somewhat of a high note, there are some genuine funny moments early on mainly provided by Bill Hader and Christopher Meloni in a surprisingly bizarre role. But no amount of meta-comedy, goofy faces or scenes intentionally allowed to go on five minutes after they should've ended can mask the fact that there really isn't much going on outside of, as I've said, playing that one note.

The second act just fizzles out and dies like a balloon that hasn't been tied off and by the time you get to the third act, who even cares? Scene after scene of the same thing. I'm reminded of the smug people on that San Francisco episode of South Park. Where they sniff their own sh*t and all speak with the same inflection. "Thaaaaanks." That's what this movie feels like after a while. I'm not defending the absolute trash heap full of romantic comedies that deserve to be ripped apart. I'm simply saying there are funnier ways to do so. Especially with such a great cast. Even Michael Ian Black's performance in this is weak.

It's a little low-budget comedy. I know. I wasn't expecting Othello here. But it sucks to feel like people who are so talented and creative like Michael Showalter and David Wain can just kind of crap one out without really presenting any new ideas or memorable moments. The joke just flat out wears thin and I think you have to be really enamored with the concept behind the movie, parodying romantic comedies, to find immense enjoyment or even satisfaction. A radical midpoint shake up or shift in tone could've saved this one from being forgettable.

Consisting of only a handful of true laugh out loud moments and relying on goofy cameos towards the end to hold your attention, They Came Together ends up being as lousy as the films it puts down.

FINAL VERDICT: Only worth a watch if you're a big fan of the Stella crew. Otherwise, pass.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Avengers: Age of Ultron - Worthy sequel to the original superhero epic, directed again by Joss Whedon. Lots of amazing action and hilarious dialogue. Not as deep as the first, but still great.

Dogma - Probably Kevin Smith's finest hour, an irreverent look at religion and Catholicism, starring Linda Fiorentino, Alan Rickman, Chris Rock, Matt Damon and Ben Affleck.

Waxwork - Cheesy 1980's horror comedy about wax figures that come to life and murder people. It's not good, but it's entertaining.
Entertainment value:

Actual quality:

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Welcome to the human race...
Now Paul will go on a rampage ending in killing the pieces of trash that killed his wife. Right?

What follows is a confusing, meandering, nonsensical string of events so willingly stupid and free of logic that it makes me question the sanity of anyone who can honestly say they enjoy the flick and have watched it multiple times. Doing my best not to completely spoil anything, what the hell was going on in this?

Eventually, the core reason Kersey becomes an assassin of sorts just gets completely dropped. The action scenes are just in fact the same scene over and over again in different locations. There are a litany of scenes with no meaning and no conflict. No resolution. No satisfaction. Seemingly every criminal in the city comes equipped with only a knife while our protagonist appears to be a God considering he's the only one with an access to firearms.
While I didn't much like Death Wish either (I gave it
on the basis of two viewings, one of which was earlier this year), I do have to point something out:

WARNING: "Death Wish" spoilers below
The fact that Kersey never finds and kills the trio of thugs who attacked his family - as well as more or less forgetting about using revenge as his reason - is actually sort of the point. Even if he did happen to kill them, his wife is dead and his daughter is catatonic, so there is next to no chance that he would ever know for sure if he'd actually gotten revenge on those responsible, so his whole vigilante rampage is fundamentally pointless.

Unfortunately, that's about as deep as Death Wish gets (aside from the hemming and hawing over whether or not killing for revenge is ever justified, which happens in every vigilante killer movie ever made). Since the sequels all guarantee that Kersey will get his man (or men, as it were) by the time the credits roll, they don't even have that much depth to them (I'd say that Death Wish II is actually worse because of this, though Death Wish 3 is actually sort of fun because it changes things up a bit and is horrifically '80s).

But yeah, not a good film.

Compound Fracture (Anthony J. Rickert-Epstein, 2014)

Two on a Guillotine (William Conrad, 1965)

The Castilian (Javier Setó, 1963)

Pulse (Kiyoshi Kurosawa, 2001)

Ghosts seem to start showing up through the internet after they commit suicide in Tokyo. Before long, a wave of mass hysteria sweeps the city, leading to a potential apocalypse.
No Vacancy (Marius Balchunas, 1999)
+
Beyond a Reasonable Doubt (Fritz Lang, 1956)

Scary Movie V (Malcolm D. Lee, 2013)

The Hoodlum Priest (Irvin Kershner, 1961)

Father Charles Dismas Clark (Don Murray) works with street gangs and ex-cons, including troubled youth Keir Dulles and establishes Halfway House to help them transition back to society.
One Man’s Journey (John S. Robertson, 1933)

Nora Prentiss (Vincent Shermam, 1947)

Sweepings (John Cromwell, 1933)

Dirty Work (Lloyd French, 1933)
-

While cleaning a mad scientist’s chimney, Oliver Hardy and Stan Laurel turn his house into a mess, and then they take an interest in his crazy experiments.
Stag (Gavin Wilding, 1997)

Sons of the Sea aka Atlantic Ferry (Walter Forde, 1941)

Sea Devils (Ben Stoloff, 1937)
+
Hunger aka Sult (Henning Carlsen, 1966)

Christiana [Oslo], 1890. Starving, homeless writer Per Oscarsson wanders the streets, searching for work, warmth and companionship to little avail.
Three Sons o' Guns (Ben Stoloff, 1941)
+
Secret Enemies (Ben Stoloff, 1942)
+
The Hidden Hand (Ben Stoloff, 1942)
+
MAD DOG: Inside the Secret World of Muammar Gaddafi (Christopher Olgiati, 2014)

Libyan dictator Gaddafi, photographed here during his “reformation” period and a trip to speak at the United Nations, collected a billion dollars a month in oil revenue while committing numerous atrocities against his own people and being the idol of terrorists everywhere.

Finished here. It's been fun.

Winter Sleep
+
If I rated films just on what I saw visually then this would be a perfect
. Winter Sleep is gorgeous, captivating, and it deals with some very interesting themes. However the 3 1/2 hour runtime isn't needed. There just isn't enough depth in my opinion to warrant such a lengthy running time. Still loved the film though, one of the best films of the last few years no question.

It is on Netflix Instant Streaming at the moment so to those that still haven't seen it, but all means give it a shot.

L'Atalante

Well-crafted and there are fleeting moments of poetry, but otherwise this is a rather banal love story. A man treats his girl horribly and she ends up running back to him. Spare me.

Paprika
+
Remarkable animation and creativity, but I can't say I really connected with it. My initial rating of this was a bit higher as I was being more lenient considering it's in the HOF. I personally didn't connect with the film, although I do admire it if that makes sense. Not for me.

Dead Man
-
Really good film. A unique blend of art-house and western elements. Dug it, although the pacing is a bit uneven at times. Really liking what I've seen so far from Jarmusch, plan to see more of his films in the near future.

Simon of the Desert
+
Really entertaining and humorous satire of religion by Bunuel.

Roman Polanski: Odd Man Out (Marina Zenovich, 2013)
+
Miss Sadie Thompson (Curtis Bernhardt, 1953)

Torrid Zone (William Keighley, 1940)

Richard Pryor: Omit the Logic (Marina Zenovich, 2013)

Richard Pryor lived one intense, crazy life, but perhaps nothing compared to his primetime comedy series where he immediately quit, protesting his lack of creative control, but was forced to do the show anyway.
Agatha (Michael Apted, 1979)
+
The Newest Pledge (Jason Michael Brescia, 2012)

The Divide (Xavier Gens, 2012)

Kiki’s Delivery Service (Hayao Miyazaki, 1989)

When young Kiki turns 13, she flies to the big city to learn how to be a witch on her own and starts a delivery service with her cat Jiji.
Things to Do in Denver When You're Dead (Gary Fleder, 1995)
+
We Can’t Go Home Again (Nicholas Ray & Susan Ray, 1973)

American Kickboxer (Frans Nel, 1991)

Gunfight at the O.K. Corral (John Sturges, 1957)

On one side at the famous gunfight in Tombstone are Doc Holliday (Kirk Douglas) and the Earps – Wyatt (Burt Lancaster), Virgil (John Hudson) and Morgan (DeForest Kelley).
Crime Wave (André De Toth, 1954)

Suddenly (Lewis Allen, 1954)

Crime of Passion (Gerd Oswald, 1957)
+
Planet Ocean (Yann Arthus-Bertrand & Michael Pitiot, 2012)

The vampire squid is a deep ocean animal (not a blood sucker, although it does have blue blood), but even its environment is affected by massive fishing and the “snow” it creates.
5 Steps to Danger (Henry S. Kesler, 1957)

X-Rated: The Greatest Adult Movies of All Time (Bryn Pryor, 2015)

Donovan's Echo (Jim Cliffe, 2012)
+
Othello aka The Tragedy of Othello: The Moor of Venice (Orson Welles, 1952)

The physicality of the film is its best asset, as here when some forboding birds interrupt one the conversations between confidants Othello (Orson Welles) and Iago (Micheál MacLiammóir).

Winter Sleep
+
If I rated films just on what I saw visually then this would be a perfect
. Winter Sleep is gorgeous, captivating, and it deals with some very interesting themes. However the 3 1/2 hour runtime isn't needed. There just isn't enough depth in my opinion to warrant such a lengthy running time. Still loved the film though, one of the best films of the last few years no question.

It is on Netflix Instant Streaming at the moment so to those that still haven't seen it, but all means give it a shot.
Glad you told me about this Lucas. I didn't notice it showed up on Netflix. I have been waiting for this because I loved Once Upon A Time In Anotolia.

The Man of Steel (2013, Zack Snyder)

Aside from the 1978 Christopher Reeve film, this to me has to be the best, most emotional, awe inspiring, eye catching and fantastic Superman movie I have seen in recent years. Henry Cavill fits the bill as the world's savior in this epic piece of film history.

This was my second viewing of the film since its release in theaters. I will probably most likely be seeing it a few more times before the release of Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice next year.

Finished here. It's been fun.
Glad you told me about this Lucas. I didn't notice it showed up on Netflix. I have been waiting for this because I loved Once Upon A Time In Anotolia.
Yeah they just added it a few days ago it seems. I haven't seen Anatolia yet although I certainly will sometime soon. I hope you enjoy Winter Sleep, it's definitely a film worth talking about. If it had just a bit more depth I'd consider it a masterpiece.