The MoFo Top 100 Animated Films - The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

So "praise worthy" and "mainstream kid's movies" are mutually exclusive? I say BS.
I think his point is that there are a lot of more quality animated films that could have made this list. IMO a lot of people put things on their list just based on nostalgia, rather than actual quality.

I think his point is that there are a lot of more quality animated films that could have made this list. IMO a lot of people put things on their list just based on nostalgia, rather than actual quality.
Well I wouldn't classify any of these as "mainstream kid's movies"

And I'd say that's pretty damn good amount considering the demographic of this board.

That's barely more than a quarter of the list. And most are at the latter half.

How many films in the 70's list were put there based on nostalgia, rather than quality? Willy Wonka, maybe, but even that's a quality movie.

How many films in the 70's list were put there based on nostalgia, rather than quality? Willy Wonka, maybe, but even that's a quality movie.
Quality is subjective (and I hate Willy Wonka). Anyway my point is that the majority of all of the MoFo lists are full of the usual suspects for the given list criteria with most of the more obscure titles placing in the bottom half of the countdown. As such, this list is no different.

In any case, there were other "more adult" films that got plenty of votes but failed to make the countdown. The Triplets of Belleville, for example, received five votes but two of those five voters each gave it only one point.

No, but I said "technically praise worthy." I was referring to the more technical aspects of film. Compare Bambi to Fantastic Planet. Bambi is technically sound, but not as technically impressive. Fantastic Planet uses very interesting storytelling mechanisms that children can not deduce because they aren't aware of that depth. Bambi's message is very simple straight forward and out in the open. Bambi's strongest points are it's beautiful simplicity and it's sketching. I remember watching some behind the scenes stuff about how they studied plants and weather for the effects of things like rain on leaves. It's very well done. But Fantastic Planet is way beyond that. Not only is it technically sound in everything it does, but it's incredibly imaginative and creative, and there is so much depth for an adult to analyze.

Now both of these movies were in the mid range, but Monsters Inc. is #7? This is what makes me just go wtf.

I think there's a good amount of people here with excellent taste in films. And for the more mainstream crowd, really who cares? It's fun, it's what you enjoy, so great. I have no issue with that. But I get the feeling that a lot of people just went into the recesses of their mind and pulled out all their childhood favorites that they haven't seen in years.

Hmm... my posts are starting to get a bit long winded and I don't want to derail the thread. I don't really mean to just put things down either. I'm trying to be genuine. This is how I feel. I think I've said too much already though. I should let you guys get back to it. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Wait... The Triplets of Belleville didn't make the cut but ANASTASIA did?!?!?!

Compare Bambi to Fantastic Planet. Bambi is technically sound, but not technically impressive. Fantastic Planet uses very interesting storytelling mechanisms that children can not deduce because they aren't aware of that depth. Bambi's message is very simple straight forward and out in the open. Bambi's strongest points are it's beautiful simplicity and it's sketching. I remember watching some behind the scenes stuff about how they studied plants and weather for the effects of things like rain on leaves. It's very well done. But Fantastic Planet is way beyond that. Not only is it technically sound in everything it does, but it's incredibly imaginative and creative, and there is so much depth for an adult to analyze.
And for all your long winded comparisons, Fantastic Planet placed higher than Bambi, so I'm not sure what this is supposed to prove here. In any case, I found Fantastic Planet beautiful to look at, but struggled to get through it. I've seen Bambi several times in my adulthood and it's one of the few classic Disney animations that still holds up for me. The animation is beautiful, the story is engaging, and I actually care about its characters. I can only say one of those things for Fantastic Planet, which is why one film got my vote and the other did not.

but Monsters Inc. is #7? This is what makes me just go wtf.
What do you have against Monsters, Inc.? I think it's a great movie with absolutely stunning animation and it holds absolutely zero nostalgic value for me since I was an adult when it was released.

Wait... The Triplets of Belleville didn't make the cut but ANASTASIA did?!?!?!
Yep.

Votes for Anastasia: 7th Place (19 pts.), 11th Place (15 pts), Two 13th Place (13 pts. each)

Votes for The Triplets of Belleville: 4th Place (22 pts.), 9th Place (17 pts.), 19th Place (7 pts.), Two 25th Place (1 pt. each)

Blame it on the scoring system.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Yep.

Votes for Anastasia: 7th Place (19 pts.), 11th Place (15 pts), Two 13th Place (13 pts. each)

Votes for The Triplets of Belleville: 4th Place (22 pts.), 9th Place (17 pts.), 19th Place (7 pts.), Two 25th Place (1 pt. each)

Blame it on the scoring system.

I was the one who voted for Anastasia in 7th Place.

Quality is subjective (and I hate Willy Wonka). Anyway my point is that the majority of all of the MoFo lists are full of the usual suspects for the given list criteria with most of the more obscure titles placing in the bottom half of the countdown. As such, this list is no different.
Actually quality is by definition objective. It's only our perception that is subjective.

But I do think you were making an effort Miss Vicky. You put this all together, and you were actually watching movies for it. I don't even know who the culprits were. Even HK's list is fine to me. I really just don't understand why people like movies like Monsters Inc. and it's that compiled with the medium of animation being less popular on the site.

I kind of want to improve the mood though, because I think I really turned things South... I'm sorry.

Anyway, here's my list if I would have submitted one:

1. Perfect Blue
2. Ghost in the Shell
3. The Animatrix
4. Akira
5. Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade
6. Venus Wars
7. Ninja Scroll
8. Blood: The Last Vampire
9. Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie Part II: Eternal
10. Kite
11. Fantastic Planet
12. Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie Part III: Rebellion
13. Genocyber
14. Dragon's Heaven
15. The Time Masters
16. The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
17. Watership Down
18. Messo Forte
19. Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie Part I: Beginnings
20. Angel's Egg
21. Black Magic M-66
22. The Dagger of Kamui
23. Princess Mononoke
24. Heavy Metal
25. Gal Force: Eternal Story

To me Angel's Egg not making the list is like Stalker not making the 70's list.

And for all your long winded comparisons, Fantastic Planet placed higher than Bambi, so I'm not sure what this is supposed to prove here. In any case, I found Fantastic Planet beautiful to look at, but struggled to get through it. I've seen Bambi several times in my adulthood and it's one of the few classic Disney animations that still holds up for me. The animation is beautiful, the story is engaging, and I actually care about its characters. I can only say one of those things for Fantastic Planet, which is why one film got my vote and the other did not.

What do you have against Monsters, Inc.? I think it's a great movie with absolutely stunning animation and it holds absolutely zero nostalgic value for me since I was an adult when it was released.
Well, Bambi wasn't the highest ranked Disney film, but The Time Masters and Gandahar didn't even make the list. I'm not talking about those specific movies though, they are just hypothetical examples. There are way more Bambi type movies and far too few Fantastic Planet type movies.

It may be all the usual suspects for you guys, but it's not all the usual suspects for the medium of animation.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
The 80s list on the other hand...

Don't forget that a lot of the Disney classic films were pushing the technical bounds of animation back in the days they were made. They can't be dismissed as mere childrens animations. Snow White is an incredible film for 1937 - people were gobsmacked when they went to the cinema, I know that from stories from my own family.
Personally I thought voting for our top 25 for the Mofo Top 100 was voting for our favourite 25 animated films, the ones we love not the ones we admire in the whole pantheon of animation, so obviously nostalgia will play a part but what's the problem with that?

Zotis, your list seems to consist of mostly Japanese animations along the lines of sci-fi/cyberpunk action adventure films which genre you obviously like a lot, so you've voted for those - no problem. You would've had 7 of your films on the list and that's not even with your votes counted. If you would've voted then more might've appeared. I've had 12 of mine appear and looking at those 12 I see a range of animation* and that's not even looking at everyone elses .

*When The Wind Blows
Jungle Book
Dumbo
Coroline
Wallace and Gromit The Wrong Trousers
Snow White
Persepolis
Waltz with Bashir
Mary and Max
The Fantastic Mr Fox
Graveyard of the Fireflies
Monsters Inc