Citizen Rules...Cinemaesque Chat-n-Review

→ in
Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Not seen Magic in the Moonlight. Woody Allen is very hit-or-miss for me anyway. He rarely strings together two great films anymore, so since I loved 2013's Blue Jasmine, I figured Magic in the Moonlight would probably be a letdown.

I usually say the same thing about Michael Caine. His movies seem to run one good, one bad, one good, one bad, etc.

I'm willing to try another Woody Allen film.

Any recommendations for a good one that he made in the last 20 years? I'll watch 1 or 2 of your guys choices and post my review here.

I usually say the same thing about Michael Caine. His movies seem to run one good, one bad, one good, one bad, etc.
I reckon Michael Caine has been coasting for donkeys years. He's been Michael Caine in most films he's been in since the turn of the 2000s if not before. I still love him mind.

Another Earth (2011)

Director
: Mike Cahill
Writers: Mike Cahill, Brit Marling
Cast
: Brit Marling, William Mapother, Matthew-Lee Erlbach

Synopsis: A teenage girl driving home drunk from a party slams into a car killing a mother and her child...only the husband survives. The story begins four years later when the girl is released from prison. Guilt ridden, she seeks to apologize to the man who's family she's killed, instead she looses her nerve and lies to him about who she is and then takes a job as his house cleaner.

Another Earth is a fine indie film that won a slew of awards, including two prestigious Sundance Awards. It might look like a sci-fi, but it's not. Besides the news broadcast of the discovery of another Earth like planet, there's no sci fi elements. The film revolves around the relationship between the two survivors of the car crash. That relationship is based on a lie.

What I found fascinating was the way the movie explored the guilt that these people had and how they dealt with it. I believed I was watching real people, especially Brit Marling who's amazing.

As this is a small budget indie film don't expect to see fancy sets and beautiful scenery. Instead the film rewards the viewer with top notch acting and a unique story line.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Another Earth 2011.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	315.8 KB
ID:	48278  

Master of My Domain
As requested by Citizen Rules via PM... a review of a review.

The best aspect of your review is that it was non-bloated and clear on what it was. You could have confused us for expecting something else due to the typical sci-fi title. Presenting it as an Indie film and commenting on the strong acting also let us know that it wouldn't have any Twilight teen romance. Overall you made me want to watch the film.

If there is something that you can change for the better, it's that to be more descriptive, especially with the technical aspect of the film. I really liked that it was short, simple and to-the-point but it would have been better if you dug in a bit more. Just my opinion.

Gatsby, I really appreciate you giving me your thoughts

I thought you might say my spelling blows and my grammar is non existent...

I really do struggle with proof reading. Sometimes I just about give up as I can't proof read my own stuff...as I can't read one word at a time. I read words in blocks, so I often miss simply grammar mistakes, that my mind knows but my eyes don't see it.

The Naked Kiss (1964)

Director: Samuel Fuller
Writer: Samuel Fuller
Cast: Constance Towers, Anthony Eisley, Michael Dante

Wow! this movie was not what I expected. The DVD cover made it look sappy....But this is one gutsy flick, especially for the time. Sam Fuller directed, wrote and produced The Naked Kiss and his potent tabloid style of realism is stamped all over this hidden gem.

Kelly, played to steely perfection by Constance Towers, is a prostitute come to the small town of Grantville. She's told in no uncertain terms by Police Capt. Griff (Anthony Eisley), that her kind doesn't belong in the town. Instead he sends her to a gentleman's club across the state line. It seems the Police Capt. likes working girls, just not in his tidy town.

Sickened with her life, Kelly decides to stay put in Grantville and finds she has a real talent helping disabled children in the local hospital. That's the set up, the movie starts from there.

Cinematography: Sam Fuller uses a mixed bag of cinema styles to great effect. In a long shot, he uses a classic Film Noir technique with low key lighting and the characters silhouetted in shadow. In a dream sequences, the filming style is reminiscent of Italian films of the time, very artsy and different than the rest of the film. For the opening sequences, he was one of the first to use a hand held camera for an 'in your face look'.

I was totally impressed with The Naked Kiss. It's not like anything I've seen. For one it's rare to see a movie from the early 1960's that's so frank in it's exploration of the seedy side of humanity. It's equally rare to see an actresses play a powerhouse lead in the film. And make no mistake about it, Constance Towers is a powerhouse. You might not know her name as she was mainly a stage actress but once you've seen her performance, you won't forget it.

Attachments

Name:	The Naked Kiss (1964).jpg
Views:	194
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	48279  

I've been wanting to watch The Naked Kiss for the longest time. Samuel Fuller is a very underrated director, I've only seen Shock Corridor, The Big Red One and Pickup on South Street but I like them all.

I didn't read your whole review of The Naked Kiss because your first paragraph sold me and I like going into movies blind if possible. I added it to my to watch list, but I'm not sure when I'll get to it.

I've been wanting to watch The Naked Kiss for the longest time. Samuel Fuller is a very underrated director, I've only seen Shock Corridor, The Big Red One and Pickup on South Street but I like them all.
Did you watch the restored 'directors cut' of The Big Red One?...I plan on watching that and Shock Corridor. In some ways Sam Fuller's subject matter and tabloid style reminds me of the earlier work of Ed Wood. Before Ed got into mindless zombie movies, he tackled some outlandish subjects with gusto. So it's no surprise to me that I like Sam Fuller as I like the earlier stuff of Ed Wood.

I didn't read your whole review of The Naked Kiss because your first paragraph sold me and I like going into movies blind if possible. I added it to my to watch list, but I'm not sure when I'll get to it.
Ahh, the first paragraph was my homage to Sam Fuller.

I also like to go into movies blind. FYI for anyone who reads my reviews, I will never spoil the ending or major plot elements. For The Naked Kiss I wrote a very short synopsis that only covers the set up of the story in the first 15 minutes. Mainly I talked about the acting.

I'm am going to update that review with a paragraph about the cinematography, it won't spoil the story. I think fans of cinema style might find this movie interesting.

My next review is SAFE to read if you've never seen the film. I never wreck a movie by spoiling the story by saying too much.

So don't worry I won't blow a movie for you in any of my reviews.

Laura (1944)

Director: Otto Preminger
Writers: Vera Caspary - novel, Jay Dratler - screen play
Cast: Gene Tierney, Dana Andrews, Clifton Webb, Vincent Price, Judith Anderson

Laura is a woman of refined poise, an alluring beauty. Laura has everything, a wonderful career, a posh apartment and two suitors. Problem is, Laura is dead.

Police Detective Mark McPherson (Dana Andrews) has his hands full as he investigates the murder of Laura (Gene Tierney). Her friends are the prime suspects (Clifton Webb and Judith Anderson). So is Laura's gold digging finance (Vincent Price)...And that's all you're getting out of me, my lips are sealed.

Laura is a Film Noir that feels more like an early Hitchcock murder mystery. The director Otto Preminger has a lighter hand in telling the story than Hitchcock would of.

Both the story and characters are allowed to develop like a fine wine. Nothing is rushed, yet the story never drags as it's rich in detailed nuances. In some ways Laura has a stage play feel about it. The would-be suspects tag along with the detective as he goes about investigating the murder. That way they can all interact. Almost all the shots are interiors, no car chases, no dark shadows down an alley.

Damn, Gene Tierney is a stunner in that dress! Kudos to the wardrobe department! That photo says it all...Laura is a study of beautiful people and the obsession and self absorbed-ness that comes with that.

Laura isn't the only picture perfect person, so is Shelby (Vincent Price)...a handsome southern dandy who's as shallow is he's handsome. Juxtaposed is Waldo Lydecker (Clifton Webb) who laminates over his puny body and is angry that his intelligent and wit can't win Laura's love.

That's what I found interesting about Laura, much more so than the criminal investigation into a murder. Otto Preminger uses the investigation as a means to study the people involved. And what a cast.

Gene Tierney is one of a kind, sure she's beautiful but more than that she has this aloof, million miles a way look in her eyes, that makes her seem as if she's looking into another world. And that really works for her in this movie. She played a similar character in a similar movie, Leave Her to Heaven (1945). Vincent Price was in that movie too and like in Laura, he played a very similar character.

Clifton Webb is one of the greats and is the catalysis as the obsessed friend/patron of Laura. He's the pain that comes from not having the beauty.

Dana Andrews, I swear he gets better every movie I see him in. Here he's the everyday guy, that also falls for Laura. He's our avenue into the movie, we see the story mainly from his viewpoint and as he's both an outsider and an average person, we can relate to him. Brilliant casting in the entire movie. And for me it's more about watching the actors/characters interact than the actual story.

Actors....that's what make Laura such a strong movie. It was Preminger who insisted on using Gene Tierney, Clifton Webb, and Dana Andrews and they make the film so enjoyable to watch.

Attachments

Name:	Laura 1944 (2).jpg
Views:	274
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	48281   Click image for larger version

Name:	Laura 1944 (1).jpg
Views:	309
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	48282  

When you mention Hitchcock I perk up. Looking forward to that one. I really need to get started next week. I have only watch one so far.