The MoFo Top 100 Animated Films - The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I had the piece from Allegro non troppo in 5th place. I love that whole movie - it's in my top 100. It's half a satire on the animation of Fantasia and half a satire on the way Fantasia was made and presented, and this part is funnier the more you appreciate Fellini. The B&W live-action section has a despotic conductor who keeps his orchestra of little old ladies and his animator prisoners until he needs them for the classical music accompaniment and the animations. This part is done as a spoof/satire of Fellini by way of the Marx Brothers. The "cartoons" are beautiful, spectacular, funny, melancholic, sexy and thought-provoking. I really wanted to vote for the Sibelius "Valse triste"/Homeless Cat segment too, which can be seen here
but the whole thing is worthwhile. I used to watch the Charlie Brown every year until I was probably in college, but that means I haven't seen it for 40 years.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I've seen both, and I like both, but I didn't vote for either.

I watched about a dozen different Peanuts specials for this list, and I decided to only pick one for the list, and A Charlie Brown Christmas just wasn't the one that I picked. I already had a couple of other Christmas specials on my list, and this one just wasn't in the same league with those. Hopefully my favorite Peanuts special will show up higher on the list.

I watched Allegro Non Troppo recently for one of the tournaments here, and I enjoyed it very much. I might have considered it for my list as a whole film, but I didn't re-watch it to pick a specific short from the full movie.

Master of My Domain
A couple of Peanut specials including A Charlie Brown Christmas almost made it to my list because of me being a fan of Peanuts and a bit of childhood memory (still keep all of the Peanuts books I read when I was young), but sadly there were more important films to choose.

Haven't seen Allegro Bon Tropo, but it certainly looks interesting.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
MoFos need to watch some Soviet animation, tho.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

76. A Town Called Panic - Voting Stats

Total Points: 75
Part of a Numeric Tie? Yes, tied with Watership Down.
5 Votes: 5th Place (21 pts.), 8th Place (18 pts.), 10th Place (16 pts.), 12th Place (14 pts.), 20th Place (6 pts.)

75. Watership Down - Voting Stats

Total Points: 75
Part of a Numeric Tie? Yes, tied with A Town Called Panic but received more votes
7 Votes: 5th Place (21 pts.), 7th Place (19 pts.), 16th Place (10 pts.), 17th Place (9 pts.), 19th Place (7 pts.), 21st Place (5 pts.), 22nd Place (4 pts.)

My litht.

17. Watership Down (1978) - 75th

I've seen both of these and thought they were both quite good, but didn't vote for either. I did consider A Town Called Panic for my ballot, though.

Watership Down was my 21. I watched it for this list and I am obviously happy that I did. Great characters, music, and I loved the mythology of it. Extremely well done and I can see myself watching the show, too.

Panic doesn't look like something I'd enjoy.

A Town Called Panic looked really far out so I never took the time to watch it.

But Watership Down I really liked and still do, but it didn't make my list.

A Town Called Panic was a big surprise for me; I had it at #20.

I expected to like Watership Down, and I certainly did. It didn't quite make my list.

My list-

7. Animal Farm
16. The Wind Rises
20. A Town Called Panic
24. The Adventures of Prince Achmed

Lord High Filmquisitor
I have seen neither of these, althouh I have at least heard of (and want to see) Watership Down. I have no idea what's going on with A Town Called Panic.

Both of these were on my list. I had Watership Down as my number nineteen, and I'm the one who had A Town Called Panic the highest, all the way up as my number five. I first saw it at the Portland International Film Festival, and I liked it so much I went to see all three screenings of it at the fest. Definitely my sense of humor, big time. So glad enough of the rest of you were aware of it for it to make the countdown.

From my original review...
...inspired, chaotic GENIUS! Following the misadventures of a Cowboy, Indian and Horse who share a small house together, A Town Called Panic is relentlessly bizarre, beautifully anarchic, and incessantly hysterical. While the same criticism I just leveled at Moomin could be said here, that it is all action and no plot with characters who don't have a very wide range of physical expression, it hardly matters, because the difference here is in execution, tone, and that these funky little guys do indeed have personalities, such as they are, despite their physical limitations. Done in stop-motion animation with what appear to be common children's toys of an era or two gone by, the audacity of the insanity on display is pure bliss. I laughed like an idiot all the way through, and in the second half when it kept getting more and more absurd and surreal, the movie kept getting more and more delightful and deliriously comical. This one is a must-see. Truly.

My list, so far:

5. A Town Called Panic (#76)
13. Animal Farm (#89)
19. Watership Down (#75)
25. Hugo the Hippo (DNP)
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Work and puppy-related concerns resulted in me watching only a fraction of the films I'd hoped to in the run-up to the Animation List deadline, but A Town Called Panic is one of the few I found time for before all that. I liked it quite a bit. Not quite enough to put it on my list, simply because it was one of those chuckle-the-whole-way-through affairs that didn't produce a lot of big, boisterous laughs from me, and because I found the visuals crudely charming more than impressive. But it was weird and fun and had a strange little logic to it that you sort of get in tune with after the first 30 minutes.

Definitely recommended, if only because it's so different.