My first review - Rosemary's Baby (1968)

→ in
Tools    

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
I have been thinking about writing a review for some time and today I decided to go for it.
I would be very thankfull with your feedback and constructive criticism!

I chose Rosemary's Baby (1968) directed by Roman Polansky.

Rosemary's Baby is a gruesome and intense story adapted for the big screen by the Polish director Roman Polanski, from the novel with the same name by Ira Levin. Although it does not contain the elements that traditionally compose a horror movie (blood, sudden shock-moments, etc.) this film is a masterpiece of its genre because it does not depend on these same elements to create a truly frightening and unsettling atmosphere.

Guy (John Cassavetes) and Rosemary Woodhouse (Mia Farrow) are a young couple facing a promising life together. Guy is an actor looking for his big break and Rosemary longs to be a mother. The two just moved into an apartment in the heart of Manhattan where they have as neighbors Roman (Sydney Blackmer) and Minnie Castavet (Ruth Gordon), a caring but nosy elderly couple. Guy develops a close relationship to his neighbors while his wife does not feel very comfortable around them.
Finally, Rosemary’s much desired pregnancy happens but brings unexpected complications: the young woman begins to lose weight and to feel excruciating pains in her stomach.
A series of unusual events, strange noises coming from the apartment next door and a strange obsession revealed by Minnie for her pregnancy, lead Rosemary to a state of complete distrust on those around her and fear for the baby that she’s carrying.

This whole storyline is framed perfectly by Polanski. The unsettling and gloomy atmosphere present throughout the film is immediately introduced by the strange lullaby sung by Mia Farrow during the opening credits.
The architecture, decoration and lightning of the settings create in the viewer a constant sense of claustrophobia and the confusing succession of screenshots in some moments - particularly during the odd nightmare of Rosemary - implement in the public an almost asphyxiating feeling of anxiety that lasts for several hours after the end of the movie.
In general, all the actors are very convincing in their roles and contribute a lot in creating a great familiarity between the viewer and the scene. However, there are two representations that stand out: Mia Farrow is brilliant in the role of the innocent young pregnant woman, fragile and submissive, personality to which his avant-garde pixie hair cut offers an interesting counterpoint, and Ruth Gordon offers a sublime interpretation of the comic yet sinister Minnie Castavet.
Roman Polanski leads the suspense masterfully, revealing the whole plot progressively, creating a very intimate connection between the viewer and the main character. This turns to be particularly brilliant when, instead of ending the film with some unexpected and shocking happening, he chooses a predictable but inevitable conclusion, as if we all knew bad things were meant to happen and there was no way out. This makes the story even scarier.

Personally, I don’t like to feel anxious and scared, so to say that I have suffered every second of this film is the best thing I can say about it. It is undoubtedly one of the greatest masterpieces in the history of horror cinema and a must for all lovers of the genre.

I think you did an excellent job with that review giving the synopsis and your personal feelings. I also agree with the rating; it's one of the best horror films ever made.

Your review is well-written and perfectly introduces the film to possible newcomers without giving it away. I definitely think you should continue writing reviews and if you do I promise to read them.

I agree with what Cricket and Gideon said.

Excellent review, intelligent and well written. You give not only a background of the films origins, but cover the cinema-history which I enjoy reading. You also give a good synopsis without giving too much of the plot away. And I really liked how you added your personal feelings about how the film made you feel.

You make me what to watch Rosemary's Baby again. It's a great film.

one of the best horror movies of all time, the atmosphere is just gripping with fear and an unsettling mood drips from it, the ending is one of the scariest movies i ever saw, definitely a classic of the genre.

I have picked my copy. I can't wait to see the quality of the blu-ray.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I found the movie very frustrating to watch. Rosemary was such a stupid foolish character, who did all these things to worsen her own predicament. She never went to the police and even in the end, she could have just told the police that her husband and his friend's forced to her have the baby at the apartment, and she could have shown the police what they did to the baby's eyes and some sort of evidence, of what's been happening to her, but no she doesn't.

So not sure if I liked the movie. I know she is not suppose to be the shiniest bulb, but I think there may be a limit as to how dumb a protagonist is allowed to be in a thriller.

ironpony what movies do you like?

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Yeah here are some to name a few:

For A Few Dollars More
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Slumdog Millionaire
Malcolm X
The Truman Show
Schindler's List
The Battle of Algiers
Terminator 2
The Skin I Live In
City Lights
Back to the Future
Cell 211
Mulholland Drive
Oldboy
12 Angry Men

My first review too, ( liked your list ironpony especially ones not everyone mentions like Malcom x, Truman show , and 12 angry men. I was young when I saw Rosemary s baby - it terrified me I wish I d have seen those stupidities you mentioned. Maybe I would ta been so scared. Wouldn't want to see it again.

And now for my first review- I give an A minus to:
Jagged edge
Glenn Close, Jeff Bridges and Robert Loggia turn in excellent yet understated performances in this mystery romance and courtroom thriller. Kept me engrossed and guessing til the end. I have to admit I like these types of movies, especially when they are this well done. Well paced, well written, great performaces,interesting and the type of movie you can just lose yourself in for the duration. And a bit of meaning underneath- who can you trust in life? Are you doomed to repeat the same mistakes ? Great stuff. Turn off the phone, grab a plate of warm toll house cookies,lean back and and enjoy. There were two moments in particular that I applaud for their craft and emotional impact.
WARNING
SPOILERS AHEAD

1-When Jack is found not guilty, I swear to you, he has the exact same expression that OJ did when he was found not guilty- this was ten years before the OJ trial. Never realized Jeff Bridges was such a gifted actor.

2-Sam Robert L) comes running to save TeddyGlenn C) but she only needs saving from her own dismay at herself for being so misled. He holds her and says : He was trash.
Such a satisfying moment. Such a satisfying end.

P S why. not an A plus? As I remember, Klute was even better.

Ps dear forum peeps - I should have mentioned that I am reviewing Jagged Edge. My comments to iron pony were about Rosemary s Baby , but just as commentary to ironpony. I m new to this forum and just getting the hang of it (jest like I m getting the hang of computers; only been like 20 years.)

Maybe Yoda can fix it? If not don't worry I really like this forum and hope to be here some time-and I can assure you the mistakes I ve just made are a mere harbinger, hilarious to anyone but me, of things ahead.🙃