The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Miss Vicky is right. It is great.
She hates everything else, but likes that stupid movie. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. It just figures. I found the movie underwhelming.

And what's so terrible about the Nurse Ratched? She was just doing her job. Those bozos needed her around to keep them in line.

Are you sure you've seen the movie?
It's been over 5 years since I saw it, but my initial impression was -- what was so great about this movie? And now that I see you loved it, obviously my reaction was right for me.

You mean aside from the needless lobotomy?
It was probably a standard procedure back then. Was all the rage. She didn't know any better. She was just doing her job.

I love it. Bought it a while back but have yet to pop it in. I watched it quite a few times through the teen years though.

I didn't vote for The Godfather Part II either. I watched the first film a couple of years ago and thought it was great, but as time went on I doubted how much I truly loved it, so earlier this year I rewatched it again, along with the second part (for the first time) back to back. I was absolutely blown away by the first and reminded of its brilliance, and whilst I thought the second one was a great film, I don't think it's on the level of the first either.

Mark's post is great and I feel similarly. What is great about the first one is how self contained it is, it stays within the family environment and it feels like were always enclosed within the group, in the second one the family has changed a lot and is venturing into different business and such, going to Cuba and a whole lot of other sub plots, it does feel more episodic. But apart from the Michael and Fredo storyline, none of them carry the emotional punch for me that the character stories of the first (Sonny, Vito and Michael - three of the great performances of all time), the first one I get emotional and think its a wonderful tale about family, the moments where Michael goes to the hospital to protect his father and obviously the resturaunt scene make me feel like I am proud of him as part of the family. I think without the central figure of Brando, and all the different characters of the family working off him, the second isn't as strong in terms of narrative. There's still a lot to love of course, some of the De Niro stuff is great, and as I mentioned so is the character of Fredo, a brilliantly sorry character. I have actually got it recorded as Film4 showed both of them a few weeks ago. I watched the first film for the third time recently, and was reminded how much of a masterpiece it was again (it would be my number one film if I did my list now, no doubt), I'll watch the second one with my brother (who hasn't seen it yet) and hopefully love it a bit more this time like I did the first

And what's so terrible about the Nurse Ratched? She was just doing her job. Those bozos needed her around to keep them in line.
I don't think you understood the point of the film. Nurse Ratched isn't so much the enemy as much as it's the system. A system that throws mentally fractured people into an institution and drugs them up to the point where they're practically zombies. And if the drugs aren't enough, they lobotomize them, in an attempt to destroy the last remnants of their humanity. This is what they rebel against, and once you regain some sense of your humanity, you can't just let it go again. Nurse Ratched is the enemy in that she represents the system and is actively fighting for it. In a way she is the one who's forsaken her sense of humanity in her fight to maintain the status quo and control these desperate people.

I don't know how anyone can hate One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

You guys stink at predicting...
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

More Coppola already! Apocalypse Now is the first film revealed to appear on more than 50% of the ballots. This nightmarishly stylized reworking of Joseph Conrad’s The Heart of Darkness through a Vietnam War prism was on fifty-five out of ninety-nine lists. Thirty of those were top tens, as the chart below shows: Three first place, seven second place, six third, four fourths, a fifth, two sixth, two seventh, three eighths, and a pair of tenth place votes on its way to 856 total points! And yet all of that was good enough only for the ninth spot, though with an impressive one hundred and twenty-eight point leap from the tenth position.

That officially gives Francis Coppola the three films in the top twenty: The Conversation (18), The Godfather Part II (10), and Apocalypse Now (9). Will that fourth show up at number eight, have all of our Francis Coppolas in a row? Tune in tomorrow to find out.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	9 chart.png
Views:	772
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	16836  

Apocalypse Now only number 9
It was my number one. I can't count the number of times I've seen it over the years. It's an hypnotic film, a masterpiece.
It's also a wonder it came together at all given all the problems Coppola had. Well worth seeing his wife's documentary Hearts of Darkness:A Filmmakers Apocalypse.

Who else gave it first place?

I'd never have Apocalypse Now this high, but I'm a little surprised it's only made #9. Pleased, though. Maybe those people who don't post as much/at all should start to do so more, as I think the regulars would've had this a little higher. Top 5?

That officially gives Francis Coppola the three films in the top twenty: The Conversation (18), The Godfather Part II (10), and Apocalypse Now (8). <<<<You mean # 9, right?

Nudge, nudge.

For a number of reasons, I've refused to watch Apocalypse Now for years. I had intended to change that for the countdown, but life prevented it. I am very happy to see it at #9 though as it means the remaining movies I voted for will score at least #8.

My List
1. Charlotte's Web (#127, not on the countdown)
3. The Long Goodbye (#19)
4. Harold and Maude (#27)
5. Kramer vs. Kramer (#44)
6. Paper Moon (#74)
7. Deliverance (#51)
8. Cries and Whispers (#50)
9. Serpico (#55)
10. Dog Day Afternoon (#28)
11. Dirty Harry (#34)
12. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (#68)
14. Frenzy (#121, not on the countdown)
15. Smokey and the Bandit (#124, not on the countdown)
18. Get Carter (#111, not on the countdown)
20. The Rocky Horror Picture Show (#46)
21. Network (#32)
22. Hausu (#76)
23. Mad Max (#70)
24. Tale of Tales (#120, not on the countdown)
25. Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo (1 point, not on the countdown)