The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

That means you never looked at my old top ten. I'm offended.
I hate your new avatar, BTW.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
That means you're uneducated in movie history. :P
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Exterminate all rational thought.
Stalker was my #25. I prefer Solaris, but it is still definitely worthy of being where it is on this list. That makes 11 from my list. Of my remaining 14 I am getting nervous that one of them won't make it. It would be a shame too.

You should know by now that SC hasn't seen any films.
I saw one, though. I saw one. It was called Young Guns. Have you seen it? Sorry, I can't remember hardly anything right now - temporary amnesia.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
Was reading about Stalker and apparently no one knows what it's truly about.

Here's my list and this time I'm gonna reveal some movies that I think are definitely not showing up. They will be in BOLD. Movies not in bold have shown up on the list. Blank spaces are movies that I think have a chance at showing up.

1. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)
2. The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)
4. Rocky II (1979)
5. Pink Flamingos (1972) (definitely not coming)
8. Mad Max (1979)
9. Foxy Brown (1974) (definitely not coming)
10. Coffy (1973) (CONFIRMED it's not coming)
11. Harold and Maude (1971)
12. Carrie (1976)
14. Tommy (1975) (I don't even know why I bothered with this one.)
15. Little Big Man (1970)
16. The Deer Hunter (1978)
17. The Muppet Movie (1979)
19. The Jerk (1979)
20. Last Tango in Paris (1972) (I really doubt that's gonna show now.)
22. Patton (1970) (although, I must say I still feel some hope, but it's probably not coming)
24. Caligula (1979) (I put this on my list just because it's two points and Caligula really deserved to be on my list.)
25. Pumping Iron (1977) (this was supposed to be my 1 pointer movie that would show up with the other 1 pointer movies, but Yoda ruined this whole plan for me. I should have put Caligula here.)

Was reading about Stalker and apparently no one knows what it's truly about.
It's about many things, but the plot pretty much speaks for itself. The film is very straight-forward about its main theme. The excessive dialogues between the three main characters couldn't be clearer.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
It's about many things, but the plot pretty much speaks for itself. The film is very straight-forward about its main theme. The excessive dialogues between the three main characters couldn't be clearer.
What's the main theme, Reason and Cynicism vs. Faith? I think what I read initially about the film was centered on the ending.

I just read the following. Anyone know what he's referring to?

"Whatever the Zone may be said to “stand for,” Tarkovsky lays down a striking hint at the end of the film that it has not finished having its say. In the last two minutes of Stalker, he not only upends many of the conclusions viewers may have reached, he does so with a casual, rather self-assured gesture. I first saw this movie when I was 17, and I must admit I missed it at first. I had to rewind and watch those two minutes again. I still remember the goosebumps which accompanied that sight. I imagine for many viewers, as it did for me, that ending retroactively changed the mood of everything I had just watched. Give it a try and see what the Zone provokes in you."

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Francis Ford Coppola enters the countdown at number eighteen! The Conversation was on twenty-seven ballots, including nine top tens: one first, a third, a fourth, a fifth, two seventh, an eighth, and two ninth place votes. Halloween, which would prove to be the first of many celluloid tales and iterations of Michael Myers, is John Carpenter’s second film on the countdown (#80 Assault on Precinct 13), and his reworking of The Thing placed at number twelve on the MoFo '80s countdown. Like The Conversation, Halloween was also on twenty-seven ballots. But it appeared on a dozen top tens: one first place vote, two seconds, three thirds, a fifth, three sevenths, an eighth, and a tenth.

I was responsible for one of The Conversation’s two ninth placers, giving me a sweet sixteen on the countdown.

3. Nashville (#43)
7. McCabe & Mrs. Miller (#22)
8. Little Big Man (#61)
9. The Conversation (#18)
10. The Man Who Would Be King (#81)
12. The Long Goodbye (#19)
13. Breaking Away (#95)
15. Days of Heaven (#29)
16. Solaris (#39)
17. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (#94)
18. Aguirre, the Wrath of God (#21)
19. MASH (#78)
20. Don’t Look Now (#72)
21. Monty Python’s Life of Brian (#41)
22. Le Cercle Rouge (#60)
24. The Spirit of the Beehive (#47)

Halloween was number 7 on my list.

I wish I had put Coffy there instead so Coffy would have made the list.

ON MY LIST

1. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)
2. The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)
4. Rocky II (1979)
7. Halloween (1978)
8. Mad Max (1979)
11. Harold and Maude (1971)
12. Carrie (1976)
15. Little Big Man (1970)
16. The Deer Hunter (1978)
17. The Muppet Movie (1979)
19. The Jerk (1979)

Great pair, love both movies and both were on my list. Halloween was my favorite movie when I was 12, and although I would probably put it a lot further down now than #3, which is where I put it (like I said before, I guess I was feeling nostalgic), I do absolutely love the film and it is definitely one of my favorites.

The Conversation
might actually be the better of the two, but I haven't seen it as much. Still, I consider it a favorite, it's my favorite Coppola film, and I like it basically as much as it's big influence, Blow-Up (another film that was my favorite at one point - when I was about 17).

My list:

2. Fantastic Planet
3. Halloween
5. Harold and Maude
6. Stalker
7. The Holy Mountain
8. Aguirre, the Wrath of God
10. Cries & Whispers
11. The Conversation
12. Autumn Sonata
14. Eraserhead
15. The Tenant
16. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
17. The Long Goodbye
21. F for Fake
22. The Mirror
24. Suspiria
25. The Wicker Man

The Conversation is brilliant. I had it had lucky number 13. Halloween comes across as more silly than scary these days as far as I'm concerned.

My list:

3. Life of Brian (#41)
5. Manhattan (#52)
6. The Outlaw Josey Wales (#49)
7. The Jerk (#54)
8. The Omen (#99)
11. Dirty Harry (#34)
13. The Conversation (#18)
14. The French Connection (#31)
16. Enter the Dragon (#24)
18. McCabe & Mrs. Miller (#22)
19. Harold and Maude (#27)